The Daily Water Cooler Thread

Options

Replies

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Off work today and I woke up sick :sick: Feels like sinus infection, coughing and throat.
    GREAT! I hate being sick ! I will have to get done what I can today and maybe take a nap.
    I will try for some yoga this morning just to get my some exercise today.

Starlage: Now you are taking care of your mom, you are a good daughter. I took care of my Dad
    for five years, he was in Florida at a nursing home and we lived in Canada. Long distance
    care was tough. He passed away at 93 years old in October. It is nice that you have her
    with you.

Weather here is cold 48 degrees and it just rained. Not too much better for the rest of the week.

See all you lovely ladies later:wink:
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    worst day ever - cried in the car, fighting with husband - CALGON TAKE ME AWAY:explode:
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,277 Member
    Options
    mizpaden-I'm worried about you! You seem to be under a lot of stress lately. Have you been able to exercise or get away from work and family for "me" time? We're all far away but can we help in any way?:flowerforyou: :frown:

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Thanks Jenny!! I haven't got in a workout this week - but at least I made my hair color appt! It has been rough. Just a lot on my 'plate'. Today and tomorrow will prolly be hanging by fingernail days, but I'll get thru and then get my sweat on this weekend. I can't say my food has been acceptable - but so far no big gains. You all are the reasons I'm still sane! Just venting makes it seem more manageable - the husband only gets defensive and pissy when I try venting. So you are it! Thanks for the ears/shoulders.

Gurl power!

Hope you are feeling better Shirley!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Hi guys,

Still feeling like crap, tried some Buckley's to get my congestion broke up,
    that stuff tastes like crap but it works. I am losing my voice. Some would
    say thats a good thing :tongue:

MIZPADEN: I am sorry you are having such a rough week, have you tried some Yoga to calm
    yourself or maybe meditate to calm your racing thoughts. It does work.
    You need some me time to get back to center. If you need to vent we are here.

Just trying to get through the day and then I am off tomorrow to get my hair cut and groceries.
    I hope I feel better for the weekend.

Have a great day gals and keep motivated!!!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Sorry you're not feeling good shirley :frown: if it's your sinuses have you tried irrigations? Does wonders to get the gunk out of your nose. I imagine the product we use here at work is nationwide but I'm sure you could find something similar- it's Neilmed irrigation system, very affordable and over the counter so you can get it at most drug stores and grocery stores. Buy the bottle, not the neti pot- the bottle's much easier. It comes with pre-measured packets of saline and baking soda, you put a packet in the bottle and fill it to the line with warm tap water, lean over the sink so your face is about parallel with it, put the bottle up to one side of your nose firmly (you want the water to go in that side and out the other) and gently squeeze- the water will go into your nose and sinuses and the water and any loose gunk will come out the other nostril. You don't need to inhale or blow out, just let gravity do it's job then blow your nose afterwards (some of the saline may go down the back of your throat or drip out afterward but that's normal) Do half of the bottle on one side and half on the other. It's something you can use as often as you need it- when I'm sick i end up using it like 4 or 5 times a day sometimes. Sounds yucky and weird if you've never done it before but it's really really helpful and is only weird the first few times, then you get used to the idea.

mizpaden, I agree with shirley- see if you can do some yoga in a quiet space. Must be hard to find that though with kids and a husband. If all else fails lock yourself in the bathroom with an ipod with something calming on it and meditate with your else closed for awhile :smile: you'll get back on track!

Anyways...

Having a good day :smile: nice and busy at work so not a lot of down time. That's the way I prefer it- no time to get bored! I didn't exercise yesterday :ohwell: .... the cable guy had to come and fix my internet and he came in the evening after I got home so I ended up not doing any physical activity except 20 or 30 minutes of rearranging the furniture in my dining room by myself so that the desk is in a better spot and so that the cable for the modem and be away from the baseboard heater (ruined the old cable... oops! No wonder my internet hardly ever connected like it's supposed to!) so that was decent but definitely not enough. As a result I went over in calories. Oh well! I'm just happy I can be comfortable with a bad day or two :wink:

I'm going to do my trusty gazelle today after work so I'll get a good sweat on and burn some extra calories for dinner :smile:

back to work....
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Starlage:

Thanks for the tip on the irrigation. I do have a mist I use but just haven't gotten to it yet.
    I am losing my voice more than having to blow my nose. I will try the mist tonight.
    It is a salt water spray.

I think I will skip exercise tonight and maybe walk in the morning before I get my haircut.

Have a good night everyone.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    It's been a very busy week and lots of distractions at work. Have managed to get some work done there and a project at home I needed to accomplish. I need to get back into my rountine and more strict eating. That means meal planning and exercise... So tomorrow is another day and I will do better.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Goodmorning Gals!!

Its Friday and the weekend is coming YAY!!!

I am still struggling with a cough and upper respiratory. Hope to get in a walk today
    if I am up to it. Getting hair cut this morning and getting groceries.

Have a wonderful Friday!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Hi Everyone-Friday eve and I'm tired! I brought home a smutty book from the shelf at work and I'm going to veg out. I'll exercise in the morning when I'm rested. Actually too tired to even eat and hubbie is too. Maybe popcorn or something later...

Have a nice night. Hope someone has energy to celebrate a friday night!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    well - I celebrated Friday night by doing my cardio strength and part of a yoga. ahhh...TGIF. Maybe a nightcap and then night-night.:drinker:
  • Starlage
    Options
    hi ladies! Checking in late this friday. I ended up being so busy today at work, no time to mess with the internet! Acutally when I got home and took my pedometer off it said I had taken 11,689 steps today- whoa!:laugh: and t hen because I was tired and that is about 3000-4000 more steps than I usually get during a workday I decided I had gotten some LIGHT exercise in for the day and didn't do anything extra. Also i was VERY good all day, saved up some calories by eating light and super healthy veggies and stuff so that I could enjoy my papa murphy's herb chicken mediterranian delite pizza :o) MAN was it good!!! And I even stayed under my calories, yay!:smile:

mizpaden glad for you that you finally got some exercise in and maybe seem a little happier!

Jenny, I love those smutty books too :o) so easy to get lost in another world with them!

Shirley, sorry you're still not feeling better :frown: maybe you should think about going to your doc for antibiotics next week.

Anyways, off to bed for me! I'm tired and unfortunately I feel a migraine coming on (I hope I'm wrong! but even if i'm not i'll still do some yoga or something tmrw to get some exercise in!

Have a great weekend!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Starla - migraines are the ickest aren't they. Had one most of the day yesterday and thought it was coming back last night, but so far ok.

Shirley! If you are still sick - go to doc! If it's in your sinus' it may be bacterial.

Jenny-I luv almost all books-but do have secret 'affairs' from time to time with those that are not of high literary value. :bigsmile:

Not sure what the entire agenda is here. Soccer got canceled because the SNOW. Plenty to do here - laundry, hose-down of anything the minion touched, etc. I'm thinking a couple more cups of java and then cardio.

RAH!!

Marla:drinker:
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Well it's Saturday and I was up early due to restlessness. I walked 4 miles with Leslie Sansone and did the upper body resistance bands for strength training. Felt so good! I had a healthy breakfast and made a trip to the post office to mail an important document. Now I'm relaxing on the couch with my coffee and feeling pretty good.

mizpaden-my house needs a hose down too but I'm going to wait until Thursday or Friday before we have family over for Easter. Then I don't have to do it twice! I'm a big reader and like all types of books. I have at least 3 books going right now and I pick one up to read depending on my mood that day. Hubbie gave me a Kindle for Christmas so that is pretty nice too. I have one on there and the rest in paperback. I like the feel of a book in my hands so I'll never be a purist with an electronic reader but they are nice for putting in the purse when you go to the Dr. or travel.

Starla-Great job with your steps! I really should dig out my pedometer and see how I'm doing with that. I must go up and down my stairs several times per day and at work I walk to the printer or copier many times and then to my car to go to appts. I use to wear one when I was on Jenny Craig but then stopped when it was always falling off. Glad you enjoyed your pizza! Nice saving your calories.

Shirley- I had ongoing sinus stuff that I let go too long. I just got off two weeks of antibiotic and my sinuses are much better. Go to the Dr......

So off to lazy land but I'll check in later this eve. Have a nice Saturday!
    Jenny:wink:
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Ladies:

Had to cancel dinner tonight with friends still coughing and feeling lousy.
    I guess I will see how Sunday goes and then maybe I will have to see the doctor.
    It is definitely sinus and it is dripping down my throat to make me cough.
    Took a hot bath this morning with epsom salts. It is good for aches and pains etc.

My exercise regime has been put on hold until I feel I have more energy. I did manage
    to make some soup today. Taking it a little at a time. Not sick enough to be on the couch
    but sick enough to take rests here and there.
    It is pouring rain here today all day. This is probably not helping my symptoms.

Today was the day to have the flooring put down in the laundry room. Our friend who owns
    a business came bright and early and he couldn't do it because of the rain we found some
    water coming in on the outside wall onto the floor. We are going to wait until Monday now
    to see if it dries up. We don't know if we had this problem before but now D will have to
    fix the problem when it dries out. So we may have to put the washer and dryer back in and
    wait to see what happens next. I have stuff all over and my daughter and her husband are coming
    tomorrow. Oh well, they won't care I just will.

I am trying to eat less today so my calorie count will be low. Hope it works, it seems when you are
    sick you want to eat, anyway I do.

Have a good day everyone.
  • Starlage
    Options
    jenny, I always had that problem too with the pedometer falling off constantly- but googled, and found an alternative place for it- clipped on your sock, on the inside (the face of it is against my leg on the inside of the sock, not clipped on the outside). I tested it by walking 100 steps and counting- it was only under by 10 so while it is a cheapo pedometer at least it's giving me an idea, and clipped to the inside of my sock it hasn't fallen off ONCE!! it's a genius place for it :o)

and I did wake with a full migraine today :frown: so I'll be doing some light yoga, if my heart rate gets up too much it makes migraine pound worse, don't want that!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Starla-I don't get migraines but I know people who do. Have you ever tried acupuncture? My friends who have done it say it helps alot! I've done it for arthritis and it was an over night turn around with the painful joints. I'm thinking of going back now that my insurance covers 15 sessions per year. It didn't the last time I did it so I had to stop after awhile due to cost.

A pedometer in the sock? Never would have thought of it. Maybe I'll try that but I don't wear socks much spring through early fall except athletic anklets when I exercise.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Hi Gang:

Ever post a long post and tried to find it so you can see what you wrote in case you had to
    edit it. Just finished one and then I looked and it wasn't there. Went to the message board
    and it was locked out. Stupid me!

My youngest daughter and son-in-law are coming today for a visit and dinner.

Have a great day u all!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Hi Ladies- I think I've caught up on my sleep from the late nights at the conference. I went to bed a little after 9pm last night and slept until almost 8am. Feel so much better. Now I have to go find a birthday present for a friend. The sky is blue and the sun is out so the day looks fine. I may walk outside this afternoon and try to run a couple times around the track at the middle school.

My youngest son had his girlfriend (new romance) over last night for dinner and watching movies. I feel old! Now I know how my mother felt when her last baby was interested in someone beyond just friendship. This is the last child at home and the others that came before also gave me aging syndrome but there is something about the last one which means not only can we handle it but we are that much older...

So off to shop. Have a nice day!
    Jenny:flowerforyou:
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Home sick from work today and Yes I am going to the doctor today
    I have been coughing and coughing because of sinuses dripping in
    the back of my throat. :sick: I am up early because if I lay down I start to cough.
    So hope to get some meds today to knock this out of me. :sick:

We are getting our flooring put in the laundry room today, we managed to get
    the floor dried out so it is ready to go. Then we can put the washer and dryer
    back and all the other stuff. :happy:

I have been trying really hard to watch my calories since I haven't been able to
    exercise. So far so good I weighed this morning and I am down.

Have a good Monday !:smile: