The Daily Water Cooler Thread

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,277 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies- Rainy and cold here today so it's one extreme to another day to day with the weather. Well I was a bad girl yesterday evening. After two nights of bad dinners I was hungry for something substantial and not low cal food. Last night was a busy evening and we all weren't going to be home at the same time so I was on my own for dinner and then off to Zumba. Well as I walked out of work I decided I wanted something fast food and fattening. I went to Culvers (don't know if you have those) and I ordered a butter burger (hamburger) deluxe, french fries and a medium chocolate shake. Well the shake was wonderful and I inhaled the burger and fries. Shortly after I was done my digestion went wacky and you know what room I went to. Then off to Zumba but felt like Porky Pig trying to dance in that hot gym! Got home just in time to visit the bathroom again and felt lousy. That will teach me I hope! And then the funny part was I got on the scale to scare myself this morning and I lost .4 pounds. Maybe I should pig out all the time...?LOL:laugh:

Tonight I went to see Water for Elephants with a coworker right after work. So no dinner because i had movie popcorn (so bad for you):ohwell: The book was much better but they did okay with the movie too.

Congrats on the fence Marla. Woo Hoo Starla that your patient noticed your new body! Shirley-when are we having a sailing party? Enjoy your summer on the boat...

Well I'm going to have to increase my exercise this weekend to offset my dinners out on friday and saturday. We are going to try a new Mexican restaurant tomorrow eve and on Saturday I'm going to dinner with friends to listen to a singer in a bar.

Have a nice day tomorrow!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Dentist appointment this morning. Check up and cleaning. :ohwell:

Jenny: As a matter of fact we are having a sailing party with the couple we bought the boat of off.
    I saw their new/old boat a 40 foot Freedom and they just had it painted navy blue. It is
    just georgeous. We thought we might do a combination party to start off the season.
    We just have to figure out the date yet.

Already did my 35 mins walking the neighborhood this morning and I have to get going before my appt.
    I have already had two phone solicitors this morning just sitting here at the computer. Time to get up and
    get ready for the day.

Have a wonderful Friday the 13th :tongue:
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,729 Member
    Options
    Starla - I am so with you about passing on store bought stuff. Not as hard.

Jenny - I LUV culver's. Fortunately we don't have one in town - but I beeline for it when I can. Their burger and custard are the best!!

Had to pack the 10-year-old a 'pioneer' lunch yesterday for a field trip they went. Harder than I would have thought. He seemed to enjoy the trip tho. Piano recital tonite (zzzzz....), bball practice tomorrow if it dries up, grad parties for various people.

Also, same here on the weather - HOT, to 3.5 inches downpour overnight and back to wearing a sweatshirt. I'll take the cooler tho. HATE the hot.

Later luvs..

marla
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Freezing here again today. Cloudy, rainy and only high of 50 if it got there. Amazing how fast our blood thins after winter and we can't handle temps in 40's and 50's.

Leaves have finally opened and it looks like spring. My tulips are beautiful right now. Lilacs will be delayed I think.

Well we are waiting for son to get done with track practice so we can go to Mexican Restaurant. I feel a margarita calling my name...I've been bad this week with movie popcorn, no lunch today due to meetings, chips and dip last night, and Culvers. Am I a dud or what? Oh well such is life and I will persevere and steer back on track. Still motivated just need a detour once in awhile. After all this is a lifestyle change not a quick diet for me.

Have a nice weekend. Sunday is suppose to be nice here:bigsmile:

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    worlds longest piano recital last night...zzzzz....it wasn't the piano students - it's the voice and they each had THREE freapin' songs - gah - TWO hours! Luv music and want my kids to have it - but GAH - she's killing me with these marathon recitals. GAH - ok vent over.

It's Saturday - WAHOO!!!!! nuff said.:bigsmile:
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla-I remember those elementary and middle school choir and band concerts. Such a treat isn't it?

Cold and rainy here today. Hubbie and I went out for lunch and then to some plant nurseries to see if we could sign up for someone to come out and consult on a landscape plan in the back yard. Not much luck today.

Tonight going out with lady friends for dinner and music. Should be fun.

Talk more later,
    Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Last night out was fun with work friends. There were about 10 of us at the bar. We had a reserved table right next to the singer. He gave out play lists and you could request what he should sing and also go up and sing with or without him. I did not sing at the mic but did sing from the table. We all had him sing "Take This Job and Shove It" and then as a group we sang the chorus to "I Will Survive" while one of my coworkers sang from the mic. It was fun! I had grilled salmon, baked potato and glazed carrots along with 3 bottles of Miller Lite. I did fairly well and did not go over my calories for the day.

Today is sunny and windy so we may go for a hike later at a park or lake. The sky is clear of clouds and very blue so very uplifting today! Most of the trees have leaves that have opened and my garden's tulips look amazing. Spring has sprung in central Minnesota!

Have a nice day and hope it was a great weekend!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Hi there,

Had fun last night at the pig roast at our sailing club. Weighed myself yesterday and broke the plateau.
    But did eat some pork, cheesey potatoes, roasted veges, garlic bread and a lot of wine.:drinker:
    Two birthdays last night too and two large cakes. Ugh!! Well needless to say weighed today and now I am up.
    Did my 30 mins strength training so far and trying to drink a lot of water to flush myself out. Back at it today.

Pouring rain today and temps have dropped again, going from shorts to long pants and long sleeves again.

Made some homemade soup today for my lunches and washing all the towels I had to put down because we
    steamed cleaned the carpets and stairs in the house. DB also steamed the boat cushions, they look really clean
    and will smell better.

Marla: I remember those days when my daughters were in dancing recitals. Your whole weekend was taken up
    not including rehearsals during the week. So I feel your pain. The mom's also had to finish sewing some
    of the costumes. That was always a nightmare for me. Then came baseball season , one daughter was a
    pitcher and one daughter just played different positions. Our whole summer was taken up. That went on
    for years. Oh, and I forgot my husband coached too. Well enought of that....don't get me wrong they were
    fun years too. It seems so long ago, when they are 28 and 30 now.

My youngest daughter newly married, and her husband left yesterday for Paris and Amersterdam for their honeymoon.
    I bet they are having a blast and I wish I could be there too. Just to do the tourist thing. :laugh:

Jenny: Sounds like you had a great time with the girls and food and drinks. Way to go!! Back at it tomorrow.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Well, I had quite a weekend. Friday started off wonderfully- I was SO GOOD ASLL DAY! I had veggies, fruit and protein all day- nothing bad. But then in the afternoon work got really busy; busy enough that I didn't realize I was hungry and forgot to have my afternoon snack. augh. Once I got on the bus home my tummy started gurgling and asking to be fed- and then realized that hadn't had my snack. crap! That's what I used to do- how I got overweight. I'd skip breakfast, not eat until lunchtime and then not eat again until I got home from work, starving, and stuff myself with bad things. ack! That's exactly what I did friday! I got home and gorged on low fat "healthy" snacks. lol. I didn't even have a proper dinner, I just snacked all evening. and of course didn't exercise. My personal stress got to me- my mom works part time at a grocery store, and unfortunately we need the income- I can't quite cover everything with mine alone. She hates her job and has talked more and more about quitting. While I want her to be in a job she enjoys I'm worried about her quitting before she finds another job. Anyways though that's what got to me on Friday I think. I just let over gorging on low fat snacks sooth my worries. TERRIBLE!! gah.:indifferent: not happy with myself that day. I got back on track the next day but was disappointed how I let my stress affect my eating.

Anyways, moving on.

I got the Tracy Anderson mat workout dvd in the mail friday :smile: I did it saturday afternoon and LOVED IT! It's very different from the typical workout- she does odd moves I'm not used to. At first I'm like "why would this help" but then like 10 minutes in I was dying and sweating and I quickly realized how ingenius her method must be (to bne determined with time just hwo ingenius). She says that she's developed this method over the last ten years after having tried many of the typical types of exercise with little help or the wrong help (bulking up instead of slimming down) so her routines work the "accessory muscles" as she calls them that will not bulk you like working the main muslces do but instead pull everything tighter and in turn eventually slimming you down without bulking up. SO, We'll see how it goes ladies. That's all hearsay from the informercial, I've never talked to anyone that's done it. I have to say I did feel sore in unexpected places afterwards (total workout was 55 minutes). I was sore under my love handles- like lower midsection on my back, also lower abs. LOVE IT! those are definitely spots that could use work ;o) was also sore at the bottom of my butt/top of back of my thighs and the back of my arms. I was impressed. Like I said though, I'll have to see if it works/makes a difference or not :tongue: I got a LITTLE bored though- it has nice light techno-y-new agy type music that was great to workout to, not to upbeat and annoying- but she does SO MANY reps of every move I did get bored sometimes (and then started getting sore and dying so wasn't bored anymore, lol) but overall.... B+! I like it. I just may ebay and watch for cheaper options for her new dvds.

Back on track today (and one pound heavier..), full day of healthy eating planned and exercising wtih the tracy anderson dvd this evening. (I'm trying to figure out how to log it without an HRM... I definely got sweaty, but no quick fast movements to get my heartrate to where you want it for cardio. I was thinking low impact aerobics or pilates or something...... still not sure though) Anyways, need to get back to work, have a lovely day ladies!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Shirely - ooo la laa! Never had a real honeymoon - sounds fun - lucky girl - and you too - fun weekend.

Jenny - luv your choice of songs - very apropro!

Baseball starts this week, school ends and then trying to manage summer activities. This will be my first summer working and trying to get them to their camps and things. Not sure how I am going to manage. Sure, I can afford these things better this year, but how am I supposed to drop off and pick up muttiple times and work 9 plus hours a day? Sigh... Honestly - the school year is easier.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    hope your day is going better Starla - push forward!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Back to work today but didn't get done what I wanted to. Tomorrow... Rushed out the door today to get their early so I could leave earlier for acupuncture. Didn't pack a lunch or eat breakfast so had to wing it during the day. Coffee and a protein bar for breakfast at my desk, and went to Chipotle for a veggie burrito bowl with coworkers. My son is home from college now so we went bike riding tonight for an hour in the regional park near our house. It was nice to chat with him and get my exercise at the same time. Beautiful weather today...

Marla- When my boys were little and I had to work summer school I had a teenage girl age 17 come to my house for day care and she drove them to things they were enrolled in such as day camps. It worked well at the time. Now she is a hair stylist and cuts my hair! She fed them, picked up the house, took them to their activities and the park, swimming, etc.

Starla- Yesterday was the day I lived on snack food deliberately because we were too lazy to cook meals. I stayed within my calories though so I'm not sweating the nutrition aspect of it.

Well getting late so hope you are all well. Have a nice day tomorrow...

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Raining here again today and I could have used gloves this morning
    it was so cold. Arrrgh!!!

I plan on planting flowers this weekend, Victoria Holiday, Canadian holiday.
    I didn't take Monday off because the next weekend is Memorial Day. So I
    will take that off instead. I hope the weather cooperates for planting on
    Friday.

My daughter (Oldest) is coming home from Toronto this weekend and wants to
    go clothes shopping on Saturday across the border in Buffalo, NY. Its cheaper
    than home.

Sunday I hope to get down to the boat to do some inside cleaning and teak oil the
    wood. So much yet to do and weather is not cooperating.

Went to lunch with an old cooworker and had a nice red leaf salad with feta cheese,
    tomatoe and cucumber with balsamic dressing. Snapple green tea for my drink.
    I did eat her chocolate chip cookie she didn't want and I did track it.

Starla: I do strength training as well and I was also doing a 55 min DVD but it was too
    much all at once. So I am going to do a half hour more times a week and
    spread it out a little. Mind you I am older than you and found it easier this way.
    I don't get bored with this DVD its pretty good. She also does exercises in
    between weights.

See you lovely ladies later. That's a tongue twister. :bigsmile:
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Shirley-Have fun in Buffalo with your daughter. We haven't had good weather on the weekends either. Seems to be nice during the week when working and then gets cold and rainy on the weekends. I won't plant my annuals until Memorial Weekend.

Took the day off of exercise to rest my joints and get other things done. My brown sandals fell apart on my feet today at work so I had to shop after work and find a new pair. They were only one year old. Ridiculous that things don't hold up longer. Also had to buy dog food but decided on the small bag because I don't know if Leo is getting worse and if I need to think about euthanizing him. HIs breathing is so labored and I don't want him to feel pain or suffer. I need to call the vet again and ask what to look for.:cry:

Haven't been good about meal planning this week and eating on the run. Trying to make choices that aren't over the top but know I'm getting higher calories. I did up my calories and change my goals to shake things up and see what happens. I'm going to cycle calories by eating higher on some days and lower on others. Change up exercise routines and then see if the plateau breaks...

Well have a nice day tomorrow ladies! Oh by the way I took measurements this morning. Every time I do they go up or down. Must not be doing it right. From what I can tell I've lost at least 5 inches in each thigh and greater than 12 inches overall across my body since February.:drinker:

Jenny
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone Im Debi, i have been wanting to join a zumba class
    also heard they have it for the wii. I have always been stocky (i hate that word)
    I really want to be petite :ohwell. With the support here Im gonna do it this
    time!:
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Welcome to this thread Debi! There are a few of us that keep it going and chat almost daily about our progress, challenges, work, families, provide encouragement, etc.

I'm a Zumba fan. I do it twice a week right now and love it! I started in January one time per week and now do it twice. Recently bough a HRM so I can see how many calories I burn in Zumba. I can't wait for tomorrow night when class is held! It has really helped with my endurance and losing inches. Unfortunately I'm a snail when losing actual pounds but I have seen results with clothing size and inches on my body.

MFP is a great site with so many helpful and friendly people on the same journey as you. Stick with us and you'll stay motivated through the ups and downs...:flowerforyou:

Have a nice evening...

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Welcome Debi - hope you keep coming back to visit us at the watercooler. We're all on a journey and together we are doing great things. I am currently focused on my exercising and not gaining. Even not gaining is a daily challenge for me, but for now it's what I am working on. We are small, but mighty and here to lift you up and encourage you and each other. I have big shoulders - feel free to use 'em.

Feel the same way Jenny - my clothes fit looser (yes), but the scale is same, same, same. But that's ok - I am working it and doing what I can. My new dvd I did last night was crazy! But I am excited to figure out the choreography and do it again - it was a sweat-fest. Never thought I'd like that.

Oh and I would LUV to have someone around this summer to drive the gremlins hither and yon - that would make things so much more manageable. Tis unlikely tho.

Better get back to the 'fun'. Later you great gals!!
  • Starlage
    Options
    Hi Debi, hope you keep coming back! Every once and awhile someone new will drop into our thread but it's been steadily the four of us for awhile. Glad to have ya! I'm stocky also :o( I've got more of a medium build bone structure wise but I'm only 5'1" so when I'm overweight like I am I just look wide! I've been slowly successful working out at home at least 5 days a week at home to dvds or on the gazelle machine I've got, sticking to what MFP sets for me food-wise, and coming back to this thread! :smile: heh. The support here really does help. We all chat about whatever we feel like very day :smile:.

Welll ladies, I have to share- the tracy anderson dvd WORKS. AMAZING! My diet hasn't changed in the last two weeks- eating pretty steadily the same or similar things, tons of veggies, some protein and a serving or two of fruit a day, one or two servings of grains a day and sugar free or low cal/sugar treat after dinners in the eveings. I've done the mat dvd only three times (it's an hour long), and I feel tighter and slimmer (most important, right? Her moves just make everything sinch in!) and I've lost a pount in two days (remember when I weighed monday I had gained almost a pound from my ingulgent, bad weekend) so this morning I decided to measure and weigh, I'm down to 165.5 (was 167.2 or something like that monday) and I've lost another quarter inch off my waist. WHOO!!! closer and closer to a healthy me ;o) I have to reiterate... I LOVE tracy's dvd. I did think it was boring at first but now it flies by beacuse you end up focusing so closely on how sore your muscles are and how you feel like you're dying.. haha. it's good stuff.

It's GORGEOUS here in Seattle lately. FINALLY some spring weather. It's been pretty blue skies and mid 60's. beautiful!!

Marla, funny how your view towards exercising slowly changes, huh? It's weird to actually start to LIKE exercising. haha. Used to HATE HATE HATE it. but now I like feeling that burn and getting all sweaty. Lets me know i'm doing something!!

Anyways, need to actually start working. Have a good day everyone!
  • Starlage
    Options
    oh, AND dun duh duh DUH! I successfully avoided and said "no thank you" to homemade brownies AND birthday cake at work yesterday- so proud of myself :happy:
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Great Day Ladies:

Welcome Deb :flowerforyou:

I hope you will stay as we are few but like the rest said MIGHTY!:drinker:
    I am probably the oldest one here I also belong to Senior Golden Sneakers on this site....enough said. :tongue:
    Anway, my next weightloss goal is 170 and it is creeping along but that's okay. I am doing this to get
    healthier and if I look svelt that's a bonus. So far I have lost 19 pounds and still going. Everyday is a challenge
    for me.

Did 38 mins. of Yoga this morning on the Wii and then went shopping and bought some really
    expensive shoes. We are going to a wedding this August so I thought I would splurge. I still have to
    get a dress so I will look when my daughter comes on Saturday and we go shopping across the border.
    It did rain here again, (broken record) but cleared up later this afternoon and got really warm :happy:
    Hope I can walk at lunch tomorrow at work, my running shoes are under my desk and getting dusty
    because of this rotten weather.

I hope to get in some Wii boxing tonight to up my exercise. Have a great afternoon.

Starla: You are doing great on your choice of foods you shouldn't have a problem getting to your goal weight.
    Brilliant job on staying away from the sugar, more will power than me. :sad:

Deb: Don't forget to come back !