Pregnancy 2011-February

Options

Replies

• joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    I'm the odd one out. I don't make baby food, buy it or feed it to my babies. I feed them real food, large, soft chunks of fruit, rice, buttered toast, egg yolk, yogurt, berries, cheerios type cereal, etc.

How old are they when you start introducing real food? Maybe I will do that too- save the hassle of buying/making. I would just be afraid of choking.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Haven't done any official exercise since the back surgery, but all this moving (though i have been trying not to carry anything heavy, I think I have slightly overdone it here and there with mildly heavy things or scrubbing the bathtubs or being on my feet too much etc, but I've been pretty good) has been good exercise this week. I have been burning 300-700 extra calories a day, which is great since I have not been eating that healthy lately (hubby "helps" me by bringing home food, rather than cooking something healthy which I have not either been feeling up to doing, or everything was still packed.) So I've finally started gaining weight, about 10 total so far, all put on 2nd tri. Hopefully I can keep up some activity to keep only to about another 10 or 15 tops in the next 3 1/2 months. Also, my incision is just about all the way healed over, so as soon as I scope out the gyms here it will be just about cleared to swim, which is probably the best exercise I should do right now.

And, for the first time ever I have a dishwasher!!! So, I might try to cook more than I have in the past.

And we have a full freezer full of about as organic beef as you can get, considering it is the cow we raised and just fed natural grass and some local grains that we just got back from "the processor" this week. I am surprisingly not feeling bad for it at all either, since I know it had a very happy life and was in much better conditions and humanely killed than the cows at factory farms. I don't mind killing (not myself though!) and eating animals that were raised and slaughtered humanely.
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. I am a little worried right now. I am having cramps and my back is acheing pretty bad. I have a TINY (like two little spots) of brown discharge and I can't tell if its old blood or something else. Did anyone else have this at l ike 15 weeks?

I hope you can rest easy tonight. I'm sure you will feel better after your appointment too. I'm sure it's normal but hearing it makes it all the more easier :flowerforyou:
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    After a little research it said that the cramping and back pain can be normal at this time because the uterus is expanding... or it could be from not drinking a lot of water which as I thought back I didn't drink much of today. There hasn't been anymore colored discharge yet.

I have a dr. apt. at 3 tommorow anyways so I think I will try not to worry and ask them about it then.

Let us know how it goes. Still no morning sickness?
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Also, my incision is just about all the way healed over, so as soon as I scope out the gyms here it will be just about cleared to swim, which is probably the best exercise I should do right now.

And, for the first time ever I have a dishwasher!!! So, I might try to cook more than I have in the past.

You say scope out gyms here, did you move far? Hopefully your didn't do too too much and your back doesn't get sore.

And a dishwasher is a must! I can't believe you survived without one?! I would go absolutely crazy.

I am on the same page as you with home grown beef. Once in a while we get a bunch of ground beef done up, it is almost always better than store bought and much leaner too. Can't say the same for steaks though- we stick to ground!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Also, my incision is just about all the way healed over, so as soon as I scope out the gyms here it will be just about cleared to swim, which is probably the best exercise I should do right now.

You say scope out gyms here, did you move far? Hopefully your didn't do too too much and your back doesn't get sore.

And a dishwasher is a must! I can't believe you survived without one?! I would go absolutely crazy.

I am on the same page as you with home grown beef. Once in a while we get a bunch of ground beef done up, it is almost always better than store bought and much leaner too. Can't say the same for steaks though- we stick to ground!

I only moved 20 minutes away, but too far to go to my Y (which is now 1/2 hr away) and no Y here. There is a gym 1 mi from my house, but I have a feeling it will be expensive. There is the community center about 4 or 5 mi from my house and it's only like $350 a year for a family! I will probably go there. I want to see which has the most convenient childcare and class schedules as well as check out their pools. I think the gym has no actual lap pool, just aerobic or family swim pools. I think the gym one also only has childcare 8-noon, which makes it impossible for working moms to be able to go to the gym unless I go at 6am before hubby wakes up, but he sleeps through baby cries so I can't even go then if there is a chance the baby will wake up. (He literally about 3 months into our son went - he wakes up at night? I wanted to strangle him!!!) (Going to the Y at 7a I would always come home to my toddler awake - sometimes being good and playing trains or something, but sometimes... well... not so good. Found him on the couch 1/2 way though the pumpkin pie the day before thanksgiving!!) So we'll see.

Yeah. I hope so too on the back. It's hard to know what is muscle vs pregnancy related vs my other bad discs vs the same disc problem. I just hope it gets better or manageable and i don't blow it out again, especially not before baby. I usually take some loritab at night to sleep if it's sore, but took some around 7 today (spent 4-5 hours pressure washing the paint off the garage floor today!) and I forgot how woozy it makes me. It was sort of nice though - like a couple glasses of wine, but baby safe. Quite relaxing! :laugh:

We have a ton of ground and some good steaks. Had some ribeyes this weekend. Tasty. Looking fwd to making some good beef recipes that don't include Hamburger Helper! :) Don't think we're going to be able to do another cow this year (the guy with the property is a super flake and I warned hubby not to go into any sort of business with him! We got like only 6 dozen eggs out of $80 of chicken supplies 2 yrs ago since this guy won't coop them at night and they nest and lay all over.) We also had a larger garden there and the guy would not water it or weed it and it all died, though we bought or grew all the seedlings, tilled it, planted it etc. Luckily I got a good yield from my garden, but not sure at this house if there is anywhere sunny enough for more than a couple toms and I am determined to get in one zuke at least!!

Yeah, growing up we did not have a dishwasher (my mom said, didn't need one, I had 4! (kids... we did the dishes), I had one in my 1st apt for a year, but it did not work (it was like 20 yrs old), and never had one otherwise. I think I'm going to love it! I need lessons on how to best load it though! :laugh: :laugh: I would HATE cooking and then a huge mess to clean up, or it stays dirty then you can't cook the next night because of the mess!

wow, I typed a lot! lol.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Have you always done this? Just with so many kids, I know my inlaws were super over done with the first with the organic homemade baby food, store bought with the 2nd, and by the third they were like - hell, she's 8 months, give her a cheeseburger! hahah!:laugh:

I fed my first jarred food for a few months in between B/F formula and "real" food because my kitchen was so small (non existent - we lived in a 5th wheel camper for 2 yrs!) and what we were eating was not very healthy. Since I have started eating better myself I think I will be able to feed it some more normal type food earlier since it will be healthier foods like yogurt etc. I will probably blend up some veggies though in the in between, depending on how long I breastfeed.

No w/ my twins they were fed jarred and the dreaded infant cereal. W/ my third on just real food, whole, large chunks of food. It is way more simplistic and fits my parenting style as well as IMO, how babies should be eating and learning. There is a lot of info on the net. Here is jut one.http://www.babyledweaning.com/
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

How old are they when you start introducing real food? Maybe I will do that too- save the hassle of buying/making. I would just be afraid of choking.

Around 5 1/2 -6 months usually, a few earlier and few later. It depended on their desire for food, not a timetable. Choking has never been my concern, but babies can gag, that is not choking. Babies are very intelligent. Just do not cut food into tiny or bite sized pieces, give your baby a whole piece of toast, not little pieces. A half of a soft pear or peach, not small chunks, they determine the right bit size piece. Remember that gagging is not the same as choking. Rule of thumb: if it makes a sound, it's not choking, gagging can be intense for us mothers, but the best approach is to watch and not touch. Let the baby work it out for herself. The experience of managing "real" food, and even the experience of gagging, actually protects your baby from true choking. An active gag reflex is a good thing! And, though it may seem strange to say, "practice" gagging on foods is good training for the reflex, and will help your baby know what do if an actual chokable object gets in her mouth.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Hey ladies. I am a little worried right now. I am having cramps and my back is acheing pretty bad. I have a TINY (like two little spots) of brown discharge and I can't tell if its old blood or something else. Did anyone else have this at l ike 15 weeks?

Brown is normal. Did you have sex and/or orgasm? No need to actually answer, but that can cause that issue too.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies- No more spotting besides those two drops over night so I am less worried now. Heading to the dr. today anyways for my checkup. and ron- still no MS :D Thanks for the reassurance ladies, I don't know why I got so worried last night.

Happy Valentines Day all!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    AnneElise- Hope your appointment goes well today.

My crib has shipped and will supposedly be here tomorrow. That's awesome service (especially since I only paid $4.97 for shipping!). And from looking at the invoice, it appears I will be able to return the mattresss seperately. Basically because I got the mattress bundle, I got $30 off the crib which means I'm only paying $139 for a solid hardwood crib! The same crib is $30-$185 more everywhere I've looked. Woot! $139 is such a small price to pay for more peace of mind & to have a crib I really love. My mom seems like she's pouting a bit over me not wanting the old crib but she'll get over it.
    6005C_NadiaCrib_Cherry.jpg
    This crib also converts to a toddler day bed (with or without a guard rail) & can be used as a headboard/footboard for a full sized bed. I hope I'm not disappointed with the quality. It had hundreds of glowing customer reviews so I think we're good.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

Brown is normal. Did you have sex and/or orgasm? No need to actually answer, but that can cause that issue too.

I had bleeding at 6 months with my first pregnancy. Scared the crud out of me. I called the doc on call and he was all "your miscarring" I was like WHAT!!!.....well it went away and my son was healthy and fine. I don't call the after hours people any more for info.

Sex and orgasms can cause it too. So don't be scared if that's what happened. I hope everything goes well at the doctor.
  • ckmama
    Options
    AnneElise- Hope your appointment goes well today.

My crib has shipped and will supposedly be here tomorrow. That's awesome service (especially since I only paid $4.97 for shipping!). And from looking at the invoice, it appears I will be able to return the mattresss seperately. Basically because I got the mattress bundle, I got $30 off the crib which means I'm only paying $139 for a solid hardwood crib! The same crib is $30-$185 more everywhere I've looked. Woot! $139 is such a small price to pay for more peace of mind & to have a crib I really love. My mom seems like she's pouting a bit over me not wanting the old crib but she'll get over it.
    6005C_NadiaCrib_Cherry.jpg
    This crib also converts to a toddler day bed (with or without a guard rail) & can be used as a headboard/footboard for a full sized bed. I hope I'm not disappointed with the quality. It had hundreds of glowing customer reviews so I think we're good.

you should take the old crib and trade it in for a 25% off coupon at BBRus right now. If she wouldn't mind.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I’m down a pound this week. I’m at the point now where I feel sick all day and eating anything other than saltines and pretzels just makes it worse. :ohwell:

Little Spy – I love the crib!!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    you should take the old crib and trade it in for a 25% off coupon at BBRus right now. If she wouldn't mind.

I wish. She's obviously very emotionally attached to it (afterall, she has stored it for 25 years or so). We're talking about a woman who freaks when she finds out I donated or sold my own stuff that I bought with my own money as an adult. One thing I've learned from this experience is to not save anything after my last baby. My mom has saved EVERYTHING. And although she says she doesn't, she expects me to want and take all of it. I know this because although she said it was my decision whether or not I wanted the crib, after I told her I didn't want the crib, she gave me a huge list of reasons the crib she has is probably safer than anything new would be. I wasn't convinced.

And while some of the stuff she has saved is pretty neat, I really don't want my baby completely dressed in clothes from the 80s or playing with dolls I used to play with or whatever. It's not like she saved one doll for sentimental reasons, she saved ALLLLLLLLL of them. Not just one My Little Pony or stuffed animal -- ALLLLLLLL of them. Not just one... well, you get the picture. And when I'm done with them, it's not like I can just donate them or something, she's going to expect me to save them like she did. It's completely ridiculous and it's stressing me out because I'm trying to figure out how to not completely fill my house with 30 year old junk while not hurting my mom's feelings. :ohwell: We have completely different tastes and all of my toys were all very gender specific (I wasn't allowed to play with my brother's toys, which always appealed to me more so usually I ended up outside) and I refuse to force a gender role on my daughter the way it was forced on me. She won't have cooking sets and toy vacuum cleaners and baby dolls unless she wants them. And she WILL be allowed to play with Legos and science experiment kits and radio contolled air planes and water rockets if she wants. /rant :laugh:

Errrr... when I got to work this morning, there was a HUGE Hershey's Kiss in my chair. I thought a coworker in my department had come around and put one in everyone's chair. But, I just found out I'm the only one in my department who got one. There's no note attached to it or anything so I have no idea who gave it to me. Apparently I have a secret admirer. :laugh:
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I wish. She's obviously very emotionally attached to it (afterall, she has stored it for 25 years or so). We're talking about a woman who freaks when she finds out I donated or sold my own stuff that I bought with my own money as an adult. One thing I've learned from this experience is to not save anything after my last baby. My mom has saved EVERYTHING. And although she says she doesn't, she expects me to want and take all of it. I know this because although she said it was my decision whether or not I wanted the crib, after I told her I didn't want the crib, she gave me a huge list of reasons the crib she has is probably safer than anything new would be. I wasn't convinced.

I'm going through a somewhat similar situation. My husband's aunt has been on a shopping RAMPAGE! She was sooo excited when we told her we were expecting. So far, she has given us a crib, bouncer, swing, highchair, some kind of vibrating seat thingy, walker, and has told me she is looking for a stroller, carseat, and pack n play.

I absolutely 100% appreciate her thought in getting us all of these things, but at the same time, give someone else a chance to give the baby something lol....... When people ask us what we need I don't really know what to tell them cause...she's either already given it to us or plans on giving it to us.

I am a second hand shopper so anything I can get that is used and in good condition I will. She is the same way so when she asked us what color carseat we wanted, I knew she would be getting it second hand. I told her that my mom was planning on getting us a carseat for my shower up north. She says well you'll want one for each vehicle so what color should I get? So I told her that I really don't want to get a used car seat, I've read that carseats are definitely something you want to buy brand new. She guaranteed me she could find a nice/next to new one. Again, I really would prefer a brand new one, so thanks, but...no thanks. So she got upset.....

Like I said, I'm not against buying things second hand at all, but I definitely want a new carseat...and it would be nice to allow other people to get things for the baby too. And some of the stuff she's gotten us, like the walker, I mean it's nice but...not something I would have picked out (it has dinosaurs on it, and his room is turtles/frogs/pond kinda thing). I'm sure she got a great deal on it, and she was super excited when she gave it to us, so I just took it. The vibrating seat thingy has some kind of stain on it that I can't get out, so she suggested that I put one of his blankets over it. Again, not against secondhand but I try to make sure everything I buy is in good condition. And it's my first baby so...a few brand new things are ok!

I feel like such a b***h whining about someone giving us to much stuff for the baby lol..... but it's kinda driving me crazy....
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Luckily I got a good yield from my garden, but not sure at this house if there is anywhere sunny enough for more than a couple toms and I am determined to get in one zuke at least!!

I can't WAIT to get my garden going this year! This is our third full summer in our house and I think I finally have a good plan on where, what, and how much I'm going to plant.

Do you plant one big garden or do square feet? Last year mine was 8 X 8, but I'm thinking about doing square foot this year and building them up a little higher. I picture that being a little easier to manage, especially being pregnant.

Do you do any canning? I've always only planted what we could use/give away/freeze but I think I might take a stab at canning this year.
  • AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I’m down a pound this week. I’m at the point now where I feel sick all day and eating anything other than saltines and pretzels just makes it worse. :ohwell:

ron2282 - I feel your pain. Mine started at the same time. Please to report I think I'm finally coming out of it at 10 weeks now. I can actually consider eating my old favorite foods.

AnneElise - Good luck at the Doc today! Everything will just fine. And you're lucky no Morning Sickness (at all?!)!

I'm off to our 10 week ultrasound this afternoon! Quite excited to see our little baby. In the next couple of weeks we'll be going back for another ultrasound (the nuchal translucency screening test) in conjunction to our Serum Integrated Prenatal Screen (SIPS) blood tests. Praying for another healthy baby!

Happy Valentine's Day Ladies and Babies. :heart:
  • ckmama
    Options
    I'm officially freezing my gym membership for the next 3-4 months. It is just so hard to walk, i'd rather do a video or enjoy the outdoors at home.

This way by the time I have the baby it will be just in time for them to open the pool back up when my membership starts back up and my 8 yr old can quit panicking about not being able to swim this summer.

I have 6 weeks and 1 day until my c-section. My goodness so far but so close. Trying not to be nervous about the surgery and starting now to talk positive to myself about PPD. I'm praying i won't have it this time. I think I am more prepared and not as niave as I was when I was a first time mom. Of course can't control those hormones either.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I'm going through a somewhat similar situation. My husband's aunt has been on a shopping RAMPAGE! She was sooo excited when we told her we were expecting. So far, she has given us a crib, bouncer, swing, highchair, some kind of vibrating seat thingy, walker, and has told me she is looking for a stroller, carseat, and pack n play.

I absolutely 100% appreciate her thought in getting us all of these things, but at the same time, give someone else a chance to give the baby something lol....... When people ask us what we need I don't really know what to tell them cause...she's either already given it to us or plans on giving it to us.

I am a second hand shopper so anything I can get that is used and in good condition I will. She is the same way so when she asked us what color carseat we wanted, I knew she would be getting it second hand. I told her that my mom was planning on getting us a carseat for my shower up north. She says well you'll want one for each vehicle so what color should I get? So I told her that I really don't want to get a used car seat, I've read that carseats are definitely something you want to buy brand new. She guaranteed me she could find a nice/next to new one. Again, I really would prefer a brand new one, so thanks, but...no thanks. So she got upset.....

Like I said, I'm not against buying things second hand at all, but I definitely want a new carseat...and it would be nice to allow other people to get things for the baby too. And some of the stuff she's gotten us, like the walker, I mean it's nice but...not something I would have picked out (it has dinosaurs on it, and his room is turtles/frogs/pond kinda thing). I'm sure she got a great deal on it, and she was super excited when she gave it to us, so I just took it. The vibrating seat thingy has some kind of stain on it that I can't get out, so she suggested that I put one of his blankets over it. Again, not against secondhand but I try to make sure everything I buy is in good condition. And it's my first baby so...a few brand new things are ok!

I feel like such a b***h whining about someone giving us to much stuff for the baby lol..... but it's kinda driving me crazy....

Oh my gosh, I would be nuts, LOL. I buy second mostly, but am picky and you definitely want to buy a new carseat. You can not guarantee it has not been in accident. All seats must be replaced after an accident.