Pregnancy 2011-February

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    LynnW52 -- I've found out I'm a little more of a control freak than I thought. It's mine & hubby's baby and I want her to have the things we want her to have, not old stuff that was saved that we didn't pick out and not a ton of new stuff we don't like. We went ahead and used our tax return money to buy the travel system, crib, bedding set, a few clothes, etc because we want those things to be what we want. If we had a registry people were buying off of, that would be different but we don't. They're buying or giving us whatever THEY want OUR baby to have/wear & that's super annoying to me for some awful selfish reason. :laugh: And I may punch someone in the face if one more person tells me not to nickname my baby girl Charlie. We haven't even decided on a stupid name yet but people keep pressing me to tell them something so I say "We're leaning toward Charlotte, but we'll probably call her Charlie for short" and away they immediately go on their "Charlie's a boy name" rampage. Okay, great; guess what - I don't care. I thought my mom was going to have a stroke when I told her I loved the name Winnifred with the nn Fred. :laugh: When we finally decide on a name, I'm seriously not telling ANYONE in real life except maybe my best girl friend.. Especially not telling my parents.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Remember that gagging is not the same as choking. Rule of thumb: if it makes a sound, it's not choking, gagging can be intense for us mothers, but the best approach is to watch and not touch. Let the baby work it out for herself. The experience of managing "real" food, and even the experience of gagging, actually protects your baby from true choking. An active gag reflex is a good thing! And, though it may seem strange to say, "practice" gagging on foods is good training for the reflex, and will help your baby know what do if an actual chokable object gets in her mouth.

I always remember from when I was pretty young my aunt saying about my cousin - "she's still making noise so she's still breathing. It's when they stop making noise that you worry." I've always been this way with my son. It's a little hard to not jump in and panic, but I just let him be if he is hacking and let him work it out himself. He's never had any problem choking etc and fishes out whatever it was that was too big on his own.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    ...feelings. :ohwell: We have completely different tastes and all of my toys were all very gender specific (I wasn't allowed to play with my brother's toys, which always appealed to me more so usually I ended up outside) and I refuse to force a gender role on my daughter the way it was forced on me. She won't have cooking sets and toy vacuum cleaners and baby dolls unless she wants them. And she WILL be allowed to play with Legos and science experiment kits and radio contolled air planes and water rockets if she wants. /rant :laugh:

LOL, gender roll toys are funny anyway, because kids will make with them what they want. My son has a little plastic golf bag thing on wheels with a handle that his great grandma gave him (god knows why!?) and he runs around with it saying he is vacuuming. The kid loves to vacuum.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    It seems like forever ago since I found out I'm pregnant and it hasn't even been a week! LOL. The next 8 months are gonna be ridiculous!

I did order a new workout DVD over the weekend called the Perfect Pregnancy Workout. It had lots of great reviews. I'm looking forward to adding it into my routine of just walking!

Hubby and I are dealing with his ex wife and her abuse of my two stepchildren. We have Alayna (5) and Ayden (3).. new information came out from the ex's ex friend and soon-to-be ex husband about how abusive she is. She is abusing them severely, physically and mentally. They were at her house this weekend for hopefully the last time because we were able to get those two people to make a report to DHS and we called in our own. Also, Alayna showed up at daycare this morning with a swollen eye and stated that the mom had thrown Ayden around and hit him in the face. :( The system is so flawed because it's hard to prove that she's doing all of these things. No one believes that a mother could do things like this to her own children. We're hoping to either get her rights revoked or convince her to sign her rights away so I can legally adopt them. It's just really hard trying to be excited about being pregnant when our other children are going through so much right now. If the evidence we gather isn't enough we are probably going to hire a legal investigator to get solid evidence. Anyone have any advice? :\
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Luckily I got a good yield from my garden, but not sure at this house if there is anywhere sunny enough for more than a couple toms and I am determined to get in one zuke at least!!

I can't WAIT to get my garden going this year! This is our third full summer in our house and I think I finally have a good plan on where, what, and how much I'm going to plant.

Do you plant one big garden or do square feet? Last year mine was 8 X 8, but I'm thinking about doing square foot this year and building them up a little higher. I picture that being a little easier to manage, especially being pregnant.

Do you do any canning? I've always only planted what we could use/give away/freeze but I think I might take a stab at canning this year.

In TN everything is rock, so for the most part you have to build up. 1/2 inch under dirt in my old backyard was solid rock. I had 4 boxes 4x10. I did somewhat Sq' in that more or less. LOTS of peppers (they freeze great and we use them all the time, unfortunately, the peppers we got from someone last year and used the seeds from cross bred and came up chili peppers instead of banana peppers, so like 20 of the plants i could not even use the peppers from (I HATE hot peppers)), lots of different tomatoes in pots (they still got 7' tall!, but I think I'm done trying for beefsteak, they split too easily in this wet/dry/wet weather), zukes (they got HUGE, until it hit about 105 and unless you watered 3 times a day they died...), cucumbers (which ended up rotting since hubby decided he did not want to eat them after all, and I don't like them), sweet potatoes (turned out OK for my first try), eggplant (did not do too good, got only 1 out of 4 plants), summer squash (which flowered but never fruited), a ton of green beans (which were great and would have produced all summer if I had them in a shadier spot), and some potatoes (which i promptly killed as soon as it got hot. Our spring was so cold last year I should have planted in Feb usually but it stayed frozen til late March!)

We canned a little, but don't have a pressure canner, so had to stick mostly to vinegar'd veggies (which I won't eat), or jams. We also did not end up with enough to really can since stupid garden partner killed EVERYTHING in his (our) garden there.

And now I am in a new place and totally unsure of what or where i can get away with growing anything. i had finally after 2 summers figured out what I can and can't grow there and what worked, and now... back to a couple toms in pots.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    They're buying or giving us whatever THEY want OUR baby to have/wear & that's super annoying to me for some awful selfish reason. :laugh: And I may punch someone in the face if one more person tells me not to nickname my baby girl Charlie. We haven't even decided on a stupid name yet but people keep pressing me to tell them something so I say "We're leaning toward Charlotte, but we'll probably call her Charlie for short" and away they immediately go on their "Charlie's a boy name" rampage. Okay, great; guess what - I don't care. I thought my mom was going to have a stroke when I told her I loved the name Winnifred with the nn Fred. :laugh: When we finally decide on a name, I'm seriously not telling ANYONE in real life except maybe my best girl friend.. Especially not telling my parents.

I have yet to buy my nearly 4 yr old any clothes! Grandma sent a ton of baby clothes and some other people handed down the rest of the clothes - and I was totally cool with not buying any of it. Actually... I'm not sure I have bought him quite anything... there is no way to get grandmas to stop sending things so i just try to keep them to as useful things as possible (doesn't always work! :laugh: ), and grandpa is loaded and buys a piece of furniture for his bedroom set each holiday... I used the pack N Play grandma sent as his only bed, went w/out a high chair or stroller or changing table or walker, got a car seat from other grandma (did actually buy the 2nd base for the other car ourselves though), a couple aunts made blankets, and a SIL bought a couple, a baby pappizan chair from grandma, and when he was 1 a space saver booster seat from my aunt for his bday, toys from other people for holidays. Other than his mattress and some baby spoons and diapers - seriously, don't think we have bought him anything yet. And this baby just gets all his hand me downs. Now when he starts school... that is where all our money will go!!! :noway:

PS. I like Charlie for a girls nickname. especially when it's short for something she can go to later if she wants more ladylike. lots of gals go by charlie. especially spelled charlie not charley. I would says it's even more commonly a girl's name now not a boys. so few boys would want to be called something cutsie like charley as a nick name for charles or something anymore.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I am a control freak about what my baby has as well, my family knows this so we made registries at 3 stores (couldn't find everything we liked in 1 store) and our family has purchased all of the big ticket items, they ask what we want or give us money to buy them.

I can't wait you for wanting new stuff, I would never take a used car seat since it is a safety issue and since this is your first baby you could used all new stuff that will last you through multiple children. We got everything new for my first son so my second hardly got anything. This time we had nothing so we are getting everything new again, we always sell the stuff once we are done with it and put the money into a savings account for the kids. They each have one and their stuff is their stuff so whatever money we get for it we consider theirs.

I will buy the princess dresses and tea sets and stuff but will have no problem with my daughter playing with her brothers stuff and out in the dirt as well. My boys carry teddy bears around in blankets and keep saying they want to have a tea party with their sister. My mom never pushed anything on me, I played with my brother and his GI Joes and stuff then he played with me with my barbies and baby dolls.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I’m down a pound this week. I’m at the point now where I feel sick all day and eating anything other than saltines and pretzels just makes it worse. :ohwell:

ron2282 - I feel your pain. Mine started at the same time. Please to report I think I'm finally coming out of it at 10 weeks now. I can actually consider eating my old favorite foods.

AnneElise - Good luck at the Doc today! Everything will just fine. And you're lucky no Morning Sickness (at all?!)!

I'm off to our 10 week ultrasound this afternoon! Quite excited to see our little baby. In the next couple of weeks we'll be going back for another ultrasound (the nuchal translucency screening test) in conjunction to our Serum Integrated Prenatal Screen (SIPS) blood tests. Praying for another healthy baby!

Happy Valentine's Day Ladies and Babies. :heart:

Oh no! I had MS from 7 weeks to 14 weeks. I threw up 4 times a day... I couldn't eat anything. BUT is gone now.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    It seems like forever ago since I found out I'm pregnant and it hasn't even been a week! LOL. The next 8 months are gonna be ridiculous!

I did order a new workout DVD over the weekend called the Perfect Pregnancy Workout. It had lots of great reviews. I'm looking forward to adding it into my routine of just walking!

Hubby and I are dealing with his ex wife and her abuse of my two stepchildren. We have Alayna (5) and Ayden (3).. new information came out from the ex's ex friend and soon-to-be ex husband about how abusive she is. She is abusing them severely, physically and mentally. They were at her house this weekend for hopefully the last time because we were able to get those two people to make a report to DHS and we called in our own. Also, Alayna showed up at daycare this morning with a swollen eye and stated that the mom had thrown Ayden around and hit him in the face. :( The system is so flawed because it's hard to prove that she's doing all of these things. No one believes that a mother could do things like this to her own children. We're hoping to either get her rights revoked or convince her to sign her rights away so I can legally adopt them. It's just really hard trying to be excited about being pregnant when our other children are going through so much right now. If the evidence we gather isn't enough we are probably going to hire a legal investigator to get solid evidence. Anyone have any advice? :\

I am sorry you are going through that. I worked at an inner city summer camp for a couple years and we had multiple kids that were taken out of there homes because of abuse. We called CPS and told them it was an emergency and we wouldn't let her go home until somenoe came to see her that day... they did and she was removed from her mothers care to her grandmothers.... we just had to be really firm with CPS... we had every couselor call.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentines Day Ladies!
    I have so much to catch up on I can't log on during the weekends
    cause we no longer have internet at home just on cell phones but
    it's so hard to read to preggo eyes LOL.

I do have a question for you all who are farther along than 18 weeks.
    I felt flutters and twinges for the last few weeks beginning 13 weeks
    and this past week almost nothing a few of what i think maybe movement
    vibrations etc but not as apparent. Is this normal? How often should you feel
    movement this early on? Just a little concerned my U/S isn't until next Friday.
    Should I call my doctor?
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Little Spy: I love the bedding it's so adorable yet modern! :)
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    AnneElise- Hope your appointment goes well today.

My crib has shipped and will supposedly be here tomorrow. That's awesome service (especially since I only paid $4.97 for shipping!). And from looking at the invoice, it appears I will be able to return the mattresss seperately. Basically because I got the mattress bundle, I got $30 off the crib which means I'm only paying $139 for a solid hardwood crib! The same crib is $30-$185 more everywhere I've looked. Woot! $139 is such a small price to pay for more peace of mind & to have a crib I really love. My mom seems like she's pouting a bit over me not wanting the old crib but she'll get over it.
    6005C_NadiaCrib_Cherry.jpg
    This crib also converts to a toddler day bed (with or without a guard rail) & can be used as a headboard/footboard for a full sized bed. I hope I'm not disappointed with the quality. It had hundreds of glowing customer reviews so I think we're good.

i LOVE IT!!!!! Where did you get it? Hubby and I are going to the US on the weekend because the exchange rate is so good right now looking for baby stuff.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how to not completely fill my house with 30 year old junk while not hurting my mom's feelings. :ohwell:

That is tough! Just be honest.... but wow I can't believe she had room to store so much stuff for all those years!! Do you thinks he would notice if you took it, kept a few pieces that you liked, and donated the rest?
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Luckily I got a good yield from my garden, but not sure at this house if there is anywhere sunny enough for more than a couple toms and I am determined to get in one zuke at least!!

I can't WAIT to get my garden going this year! This is our third full summer in our house and I think I finally have a good plan on where, what, and how much I'm going to plant.

Do you plant one big garden or do square feet? Last year mine was 8 X 8, but I'm thinking about doing square foot this year and building them up a little higher. I picture that being a little easier to manage, especially being pregnant.

Do you do any canning? I've always only planted what we could use/give away/freeze but I think I might take a stab at canning this year.

I love gardening too! I have a 10x15 garden that I planted last year, and a number of flower beds. Unfortunately I am not going to be planting this year. One of my good friends did hers last year. She was not due until October (I am due in August) and she said she would not recommend it. She would go out and weed, etc, but would be soooo sore the next day- she kept over doing it, and I would be afraid of that too. Instead I am going to give it a breather year, put lots of peat moss in it (we have a lot of clay in our soil here) keep the weeds out as much as I can, and just work on getting the soil really nice for an awesome garden next year!

I do canning! I love it! I did pickled carrots, beans and pickles last year. This year I am going to take a stab at strawberry jam (getting them at the upick place) and also jalepeno jelly (will have to buy the supplies for that one). Since I will have limited income this christmas I plan to put together baskets of the canning I do through the year, and also little gift bags of dried fruit, etc that I do in the dehydrator.

The one thing about canning- its a ton of work. I always so it with a friend to make it easier and we split what we make.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    i LOVE IT!!!!! Where did you get it? Hubby and I are going to the US on the weekend because the exchange rate is so good right now looking for baby stuff.

I'm almost embarrassed to say I found the best price on Walmart.com. They sell it many other places, though (it's just a lot more expensive at those other places). It's called "Nadia" by AFG. I got this bundle: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nadia-3-in-1-Convertible-Crib-Sweet-Dreams-Mattress-Bundle-Cherry/14245031

And, I got an email today showing Walmart invoiced me $139 for the crib so I guess that means I'll be able to return the mattress for $36. I've found a much nicer crib mattress made by Sealy that's only about $25 more than the mattress it came with (at walmart, it's like $50 more everywhere else. Man, I hate/love Walmart) so I'll most likely be exchanging the mattress that comes & paying the difference on the better one.
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Should I call my doctor?

I still have a day every once in awhile where I will feel little movement from him. When I was at 18 weeks, I would have a day here and there where I didn't feel him move, or atleast didn't notice him moving. At that point I still wasn't 100% sure when it was him and when it was gas and other things. And I've always been able to feel him better when I'm sitting down. I've just started to feel him when I'm standing up and laying down. Also, baby is still pretty small, so you may not feel movement even when they are moving.

From what I could find on the net and in my books, there isn't anything specific in terms of how often you should feel baby move at 18 weeks. I would say don't worry, even though I know it's hard not to once you've felt them start to move. If it is really stressing you out, you could call your Dr. just to give yourself peace of mind.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Should I call my doctor?

I still have a day every once in awhile where I will feel little movement from him. When I was at 18 weeks, I would have a day here and there where I didn't feel him move, or atleast didn't notice him moving. At that point I still wasn't 100% sure when it was him and when it was gas and other things. And I've always been able to feel him better when I'm sitting down. I've just started to feel him when I'm standing up and laying down. Also, baby is still pretty small, so you may not feel movement even when they are moving.

From what I could find on the net and in my books, there isn't anything specific in terms of how often you should feel baby move at 18 weeks. I would say don't worry, even though I know it's hard not to once you've felt them start to move. If it is really stressing you out, you could call your Dr. just to give yourself peace of mind.

I've been feeling movement daily from 16 weeks or so but we had a quiet weekend this weekend. I hardly felt her at all. But I heard her heartbeat on my fetal heart monitor & I could hear her in there kicking up a storm, I just couldn't feel it.

I've eaten too much sugar today, though, and I feel her FOR SURE! :laugh:
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Dr. apt. went well today! Got to hear the heartbeat again and the baby moving. I had lost 3 lbs this past month *sigh* BUT I am sure now that I can get again that won't last haha. I feel much better now after hearing the baby again. She said the cramps arn't anything to worry about and are my muscles stretching. She said that probably the discharge was fine too but to keep an eye out incase there is more.

11 days till our gender determination US. I can't wait!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Toys R Us is having a Buy 1 get one free Fisher Price Infant toy sale right now. Buy one toy $25+ and get one $24.99 or less for free. Online or in store.