Support for the men & dads on the forum. RE; For the 30 som

Options

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Also for this challenge I'm going to try to up my outdoor running to 3 times this week. My knee has been a bit sore so I'm going to ice it after work and see how it goes.
    Swiss joint care from walmart bud I swear by that stuff. Without it I would not be able to run as far or as fast as I do. Also omega 3 fish oils will help tremendously with that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Remember for those achy joints - RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

It makes a huge difference. I use it frequently with my bad knee when it starts aching, and I think it really helps the recovery processes.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I had blueberries in my waffles, spinnach in my protein shake, omega 3,6,9 capsules with my 3rd meal, and Broccoli with my chicken, and baked potato. Added a few extra.sets.to my workout today to reach failure.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    yep it totally makes a difference, I am going for my new routine tonight see how my body reacts, the cool part is that I do not get sore hardly ever anymore, lst workout I could kind of feel it but not to the extent of being in pain. I am loving that side effect, only problem I had was my left calf cramping like a mother on me after some work I did yesterday here in the shop, felt like a vise took hold of it and it took a few minutes to massage it out. Might be because of the reduced amount of sodium in my diet not sure.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    bump
  • rileysowner
    Options
    yep it totally makes a difference, I am going for my new routine tonight see how my body reacts, the cool part is that I do not get sore hardly ever anymore, lst workout I could kind of feel it but not to the extent of being in pain. I am loving that side effect, only problem I had was my left calf cramping like a mother on me after some work I did yesterday here in the shop, felt like a vise took hold of it and it took a few minutes to massage it out. Might be because of the reduced amount of sodium in my diet not sure.

Unless your sodium is really low (under 900mg a day) it is likely not that, although you can sweat out a lot of sodium. It may be potassium as well, as many of us are low in potassium.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Remember for those achy joints - RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

It makes a huge difference. I use it frequently with my bad knee when it starts aching, and I think it really helps the recovery processes.

Nice way to put it. I did that last night. I'm going to give it one more day before I run outdoors. Tonight is the first day of my kettlebell routine.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Unless your sodium is really low (under 900mg a day) it is likely not that, although you can sweat out a lot of sodium. It may be potassium as well, as many of us are low in potassium.
    I doubt its my sodium lol, mind you I do sweat like an animal when I am pressing hard during my intervals. It may be my potassium as I did cut out fruit until my cheat day this week. Either way it has not returned so hopefully it was just a random muscle spasm.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    so my first 300 style workout was done today and omg, it was killer I felt like I have never worked out before after this one. To say my hr was up would be an understatement, for my dumbell thrusts I tried 40 pounds starting out and it was not to bad hr was up but not killin me, did that for 10 then immediately switched to 45 it was making it climb for 10 reps then switched to 50 and holy hell after 10 my mp3 player was jumping off my chest with my hr lol. I then switched into renegade rows for a set of 30 with 40 pounds and it really works the entire abdomen and the back/stabilizers. It to was great for getting the hr pumping and my core being as strong as it is I could handle them pretty good. Switched into 30 dips, pretty good there knocked out 20 in 1 set 10 secs rest then 20 weight assisted pull ups then back into 10 dips and 10 more pullups. I then jogged up the steps to the 2nd level and went into bent knee rows with 130 pounds for a set of 30 in a 5/5 cadence, really worked my shoulders and back. So at this point i switched into pushups set of 30, I could launch myself off the floor for the first 15 but after that I just kept pace with a up side step down left to right. Water break for 40 seconds then onto some curls/tricep pull downs using 100 pounds, then onto snatches a set of 30 using 40 pounds and to finish it all off I did tricep dips for a set of 40 on the bench in rapid succession. Total workout time was 45 mins but I was spent afterwards, I am going to like this routine I think.
  • outersoul
    Options
    so my first 300 style workout was done today and omg, it was killer I felt like I have never worked out before after this one. To say my hr was up would be an understatement, for my dumbell thrusts I tried 40 pounds starting out and it was not to bad hr was up but not killin me, did that for 10 then immediately switched to 45 it was making it climb for 10 reps then switched to 50 and holy hell after 10 my mp3 player was jumping off my chest with my hr lol. I then switched into renegade rows for a set of 30 with 40 pounds and it really works the entire abdomen and the back/stabilizers. It to was great for getting the hr pumping and my core being as strong as it is I could handle them pretty good. Switched into 30 dips, pretty good there knocked out 20 in 1 set 10 secs rest then 20 weight assisted pull ups then back into 10 dips and 10 more pullups. I then jogged up the steps to the 2nd level and went into bent knee rows with 130 pounds for a set of 30 in a 5/5 cadence, really worked my shoulders and back. So at this point i switched into pushups set of 30, I could launch myself off the floor for the first 15 but after that I just kept pace with a up side step down left to right. Water break for 40 seconds then onto some curls/tricep pull downs using 100 pounds, then onto snatches a set of 30 using 40 pounds and to finish it all off I did tricep dips for a set of 40 on the bench in rapid succession. Total workout time was 45 mins but I was spent afterwards, I am going to like this routine I think.

That sounds killer! I did my kettlebell routine last night for the first time and it's the best workout I've had in a loooong time!
  • summerx275
    Options
    Hello all!
    This seems like a group that I need to get going with. I am 36 years old, have 3 yo twin boys and a 6 yo son as well. I started on MFP about 3 weeks ago, along with joining a gym and using their personal trainer as well. So far I am down about 8 lbs, but my problem is that most of it came in the first week or so. Hopefully I can find the motivation here to keep pushing. I started at 254, and need to get down to 185-190.
    thanks,

Craig
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Welcome to the group Craig. Now that you have the first quick weight loss past, it will probably slow down a bit, although for the first while I would still have big weeks on occasion. They became fewer as I lost weight. Up to this point I have not had any plateaus, but this past seven days I have not lost anything, but dropped a bit since yesterday, but only part of a pound.

I upped the weight on my Tabata Thrusts, man another 5 pounds per dumbell really increases the intensity. I hope to up it again Friday, but will see. My one quad is really feeling the workouts and was fairly achy when I finished. Gave it a good stretch when it was warm tonight, but we will see how it feels tomorrow.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump
    thx for the bump and feel free to add me as a friend for regular updates on the group.
  • outersoul
    Options
    If anyone is looking for a change in routine, I highly suggest kettlebells. I'm strongly considering giving up my gym membership and just purchasing some kettlebells and working out at home.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I like the gym as it has more equipment there and if the mood should strike me I can change my workout mid stride but with that said I now have a new goal to acheive which is to conquer the 300 style workout I just started, its been a more challenging workout than any I have tried to date.
  • crlujan
    crlujan Posts: 59
    Options
    Gotta drop this reply in here so it goes to My Topics for a later read. Looks like there's alot of info in this thread.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I'm going to give it a month or so to see if I still like the kettlebells. If so, I may stick to it.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I used to have a gym membership, but found I had too much trouble getting the stuff I wanted to use. Then I had an epiphany. If I took the money I am shelling out for a gym membership and purchased equipment I wouldn't have to wait. Now I have a complete olympic weight set, power cage, upright and seated row machine, a nice power blocks dumbell set, 2 adjustable benches one with a leg curl and extention attachment, and various other stuff. Based on what people are saying about kettle bells I may get some in the future.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    you can do the same stuff with dumbells the kettlebells are just easier to grip for a lot of the exercises, the dumbell thrusts were similar to the tabata thrusts but modified for a 2 handed grip, same idea for the dumbell snatches. I am still feeling the effects of tuesdays workout and this is the first time in 3 months I have been this sore from a workout I am loving it.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Tried some renegade rows tonight. I think I will have to work on form for them before incorporating them in my workout, but they seem like quite a good exercise.