A Personal View on Exercise Cals and Underfeeding

Options

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Your story could be my story.

I am still struggling to lose weight...after nearly 2 years and multiple tests and methods. Never give up is my motto!!

You will find me posting regularly on MFP, advocating to people that they eat enough. Don't mess up your metabolism. Fuel that fire!

Good luck to you as well.
  • momof3babes
    Options
    bump and thanks!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have also been on this ride. Don't like it, don't want to get on it again. I had help from a doctor, dietician and nutritionist to get back on track over a few months time. I did gain when I first started upping my calories. I am going for healthy this time, losing much slower, and enjoying life much more. No more wanting to hybernate, no more afternoon slump, no more sleeping less than 5 hours a night. No more mood swings from cutting carbs out of my diet. No more heartburn. I had stopped feeling hungry, I would go all day without eatting sometines. Now with regular scheduled eatting times my body is now starting to tell me when it needs fed again. I am not craving the carbs and sugar my body wanted for quick energy. I am doing light-moderate cardio and strength training until I get more flubber off, but plan on ramping it up in a couple more months.

It can be a difficult ride to get off, but it can be done. It takes time, patience and common sense. Thank you for posting your story. Some will believe, some won't. Sometimes you just have to ride the ride till the end before you see the light.
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks for posting and for keeping me in line and for all the encouragement you give to me and others!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    good post lh.

I think the term "starvation mode" is my biggest pet peeve on MFP. Not only from those who say it's a myth but also those who say it's always the reason. Anyway, I'll have to be reciprocal in this post and bump it since you're always bumping mine. :wink:

-Banks
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have also been on this ride. Don't like it, don't want to get on it again. I had help from a doctor, dietician and nutritionist to get back on track over a few months time. I did gain when I first started upping my calories. I am going for healthy this time, losing much slower, and enjoying life much more. No more wanting to hybernate, no more afternoon slump, no more sleeping less than 5 hours a night. No more mood swings from cutting carbs out of my diet. No more heartburn. I had stopped feeling hungry, I would go all day without eatting sometines. Now with regular scheduled eatting times my body is now starting to tell me when it needs fed again. I am not craving the carbs and sugar my body wanted for quick energy. I am doing light-moderate cardio and strength training until I get more flubber off, but plan on ramping it up in a couple more months.

It can be a difficult ride to get off, but it can be done. It takes time, patience and common sense. Thank you for posting your story. Some will believe, some won't. Sometimes you just have to ride the ride till the end before you see the light.

Can't agree enough! Had all those problems and more. Sometimes we insist on learning the hard way! I'm just glad I am doing it the right way now and I know now I CAN be successful. Cheers!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    good post lh.

I think the term "starvation mode" is my biggest pet peeve on MFP. Not only from those who say it's a myth but also those who say it's always the reason. Anyway, I'll have to be reciprocal in this post and bump it since you're always bumping mine. :wink:

-Banks

Thanks, Banks! I'm sure I've been guilty of it too - enthusiasm is sometimes blinding. Trying to remember to keep my own in check and not be fanatical or miss parts of the equation - and educate myself so I can speak intelligently about it. :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    good post lh.

-Banks

Thanks, Banks! I'm sure I've been guilty of it too - enthusiasm is sometimes blinding. Trying to remember to keep my own in check and not be fanatical or miss parts of the equation - and educate myself so I can speak intelligently about it. :wink:

how are you at bio-chemistry? I have an awesome book, but you really need to know how to read organic chem formulas pretty well to understand the first half. You don't have to be a chemist, but you have to be competent at chemistry on a college level. If you are, I'll give you the book title. It's a text, and expensive, but SOOOOO worth the money if you're into the science behind the human metabolism.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    good post lh.

-Banks

how are you at bio-chemistry? I have an awesome book, but you really need to know how to read organic chem formulas pretty well to understand the first half. You don't have to be a chemist, but you have to be competent at chemistry on a college level. If you are, I'll give you the book title. It's a text, and expensive, but SOOOOO worth the money if you're into the science behind the human metabolism.

I took bio-chem in college and have a decent grasp of it, though some of it is still a bit over my head. I'd be very interested in the book - but I may pester you with questions when they come up! :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    good post lh.

-Banks

I took bio-chem in college and have a decent grasp of it, though some of it is still a bit over my head. I'd be very interested in the book - but I may pester you with questions when they come up! :laugh:

hehe, for that book, I probably won't have the answers, it's very advanced. But even if you only get 1/2 of it, you've made out.
    the book is called

"Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" 5th Edition (I actually read 4th edition, but I guess the differences are minor between the two). You can get it off B&N (look for used copies), it's like $160 or so, but I picked up a used copy for about $85, you might even be able to find it at those college text book websites where you can rent books for a few months. I don't know, I wanted my own copy so I could mark it up and fold pages and stuff.

I did a lot of research into what to use as my main research tool, and this book was head and shoulders above the rest as far as editorial and content reviews by peers (I.E. nutritional scientists and professors), so that's why I got it. It took me almost a month to get through, which is a lifetime for me, as I read really fast, and can get though most 400 page paperback novels in two to three days or less.
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    WOW! Thank you for this post - So well written and so open - Thank you for sharing :):flowerforyou:
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Well thought out post. Thanks, LH. Thanks also to Banks for the book reference. I'll be looking into that.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    good post lh.

-Banks

hehe, for that book, I probably won't have the answers, it's very advanced. But even if you only get 1/2 of it, you've made out.
    the book is called

"Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" 5th Edition (I actually read 4th edition, but I guess the differences are minor between the two). You can get it off B&N (look for used copies), it's like $160 or so, but I picked up a used copy for about $85, you might even be able to find it at those college text book websites where you can rent books for a few months. I don't know, I wanted my own copy so I could mark it up and fold pages and stuff.

I did a lot of research into what to use as my main research tool, and this book was head and shoulders above the rest as far as editorial and content reviews by peers (I.E. nutritional scientists and professors), so that's why I got it. It took me almost a month to get through, which is a lifetime for me, as I read really fast, and can get though most 400 page paperback novels in two to three days or less.

Excellent, thanks. I'll check on renting one for the moment and work it into the budget to get my own soon. I can always use another grueling reading/study torture device!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Excellent, thanks. I'll check on renting one for the moment and work it into the budget to get my own soon. I can always use another grueling reading/study torture device!

you won't be disappointed then. Torture you it will!

The part about the krebs cycle made my brain itch. Brush up on your co-enzymes <shiver>
  • marniehodges
    Options
    Beautifully said, and without all the drama and know-it-all attitude that gets flipped around here daily. Now I just hope the right people read it! :wink:

Thanks so much for sharing your story! :flowerforyou:
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great Story Thanks For all the Helpful Info
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Beautifully said, and without all the drama and know-it-all attitude that gets flipped around here daily. Now I just hope the right people read it! :wink:

I agree Marnie!! It was written in an informative way, not condesending or over-dramatized. Thank you for sharing!!! Someday's I'm just fine eating 50-75% of my exercise calories then all of a sudden I get this little voice in my head that starts questioning. I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong, I have a long way still to go and I want to do it right!!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

I agree Marnie!! It was written in an informative way, not condesending or over-dramatized. Thank you for sharing!!! Someday's I'm just fine eating 50-75% of my exercise calories then all of a sudden I get this little voice in my head that starts questioning. I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong, I have a long way still to go and I want to do it right!!

Thanks girls! I'm at about 50-75% right now, as I don't have a HRM yet and I'm fairly sure some of my burns are overestimated. Tricky finding that balance sometimes and the brain is pretty good at making us second guess ourselves. But understanding how it all works goes a long way toward keeping those little voices in check! :wink:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

you won't be disappointed then. Torture you it will!

The part about the krebs cycle made my brain itch. Brush up on your co-enzymes <shiver>

Krebs is like a maze - took a long time to get it - and it's been so long now, I'll definitely need a big refresher. Getting old and forgetting everything I once knew is a pain in the *kitten*. :grumble:
  • ekafont
    ekafont Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to understand how eating more could be OK after all these years of thinking that you had to starve yourself on a diet ... but I have found it so much easier to stick with this program because I can eat more if I burn calories therefore giving me incentive to work out more - I've been losing slowly, only 6.5 pounds in a month and a half - but I've also gone from a size 14 to a size 10 and have a lot more energy ... and that is the true goal!

Thanks for a great post!