A Personal View on Exercise Cals and Underfeeding

Options

Replies

• NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    thankyouthankyouthankyou
    it's kinda nerve racking-i'm eating 1,200 this week-more than my usual then 1,300 next and then i'll see how I feel-one of my goals is more strength training and yoga because I don't feel toned at all :/
    also my whole WHOLE family is overweight-so i'm terrified i'll end up like that-I love them but honestly-they are not taking care of themselves. I also wonder if their is such a thing as having a low metabolism/bmr or if that happens because one messes it up.
    I know I know-so many questions :) sorry
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    thankyouthankyouthankyou
    it's kinda nerve racking-i'm eating 1,200 this week-more than my usual then 1,300 next and then i'll see how I feel-one of my goals is more strength training and yoga because I don't feel toned at all :/
    also my whole WHOLE family is overweight-so i'm terrified i'll end up like that-I love them but honestly-they are not taking care of themselves. I also wonder if their is such a thing as having a low metabolism/bmr or if that happens because one messes it up.
    I know I know-so many questions :) sorry

Some strength training would do great things. Be aware that when starting strength training, you can have some water retention in the muscles as they repair - but DON'T let that dissuade you from doing it. A little bit of muscle also increases metabolism, so it will help you maintain your weight in the long run. And it looks nice. :tongue:

There can certainly be a connection between genetics and being overweight. A slow metabolism can be connected to many things, such as genetics, medical conditions, medication, and underfeeding. However, that doesn't mean you're "destined" to be overweight. I would guess that if your metabolism is slowed, it's much more likely to be because of underfeeding. But even you have some genetic components that influence it, it's not something you can't overcome. You just have to experiment a bit to see what will work for YOUR body. But if you don't have any medical conditions, there shouldn't be any reason you can't get back to a reasonably normal intake without gaining. I know it's scary, but it's very worth it.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    WOW AMazing Thanks for posting this. At least I am not the only one in the same boat.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think for me the issue is that I have asked around about how many calories "a person like me" should have .. and it seems I get a lot of different answers. Now I know that when I've lifted weights often or done a lot of cardio, I should be more lenient with how much I eat. But no one can tell me what is appropriate, and I've gone back and forth .. . I've had male trainers tell me to eat a lot more, and I've gained weight. I've had times when I didn't count calories, and had trouble losing weight. Sometimes I lose weight (with a lot of exercise involved, not just diet) and then people tell me I should eat more. It's really hard to find out a definitive answer for "How many calories is appropriate for me and my level of activity?" .. . so confusing.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I think for me the issue is that I have asked around about how many calories "a person like me" should have .. and it seems I get a lot of different answers. Now I know that when I've lifted weights often or done a lot of cardio, I should be more lenient with how much I eat. But no one can tell me what is appropriate, and I've gone back and forth .. . I've had male trainers tell me to eat a lot more, and I've gained weight. I've had times when I didn't count calories, and had trouble losing weight. Sometimes I lose weight (with a lot of exercise involved, not just diet) and then people tell me I should eat more. It's really hard to find out a definitive answer for "How many calories is appropriate for me and my level of activity?" .. . so confusing.

Well, the problem is that it revolves around basic math - BUT all of the numbers we use for energy expenditure and intake are estimates. And the math is based on averages. Each individual is different and there are a ton of factors than can influence what YOUR specific intake needs to be. Really it just takes a lot of experimenting. But in reality, very few people are so far outside the curve, or have a specific situation, that makes all of the numbers and formulas "not work." There may need to be adjustments, but the vast majority of people can use the basic formula to get a good starting point and will still be in the general neighborhood of what is recommended.

You may have some factors that put you slightly outside the curve, but unless you have some significant medical conditions (thyroid, PCOS, etc), there shouldn't be a huge difference.

Remember that a lot of trainers aren't certified, and even ones that are don't necessarily have a good background in nutrition.

But, once you've slowed your metabolism, it is normal and expected to see some weight gain if you suddenly start eating more. It can take a while to get things back to normal.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    This is pretty difficult for me. I never know how many calories I should be eating. I didn't buy the 1200 that MFP told me to eat so I did some research. I'm 5'7", work out 6 days a week. My BMR is 1493. According to my activity level, I should be eating 2314 calories/day in order to maintain my weight. In order to lose weight, I read I should create a calorie deficit of at least 500 calories, but nothing more than a 1000 calorie deficit. This is really hard! I've been averaging anywhere from 1200 - 1300 net calories and most times cannot push myself to get to the 1300 - 1800 range. I'm wondering if I can push for 1500 maybe I'll see more results? This is all a mind game! Sometimes I feel so full I feel fat and gross and get discouraged and I don't like feeling that way.

Thank you so much for your insight. I'm going to try and up my calories, but again it's all a mind game to me. Bottom line is I want to get healthy. It doesn't matter what my scale says. I want to tone up and feel good about myself again. And, I want my mommy tummy to go away. Lol!!
  • paced2day
    paced2day Posts: 55
    Options
    I was just going to post a question in this direction. So glad you answered it.. Thanks!
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    thanks for taking the time to write your novel (lol):laugh: seriously:indifferent: , i really enjoyed reading it and i know it must have been hard to share something personal. i hope others benefit from reading it as i have.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    This is pretty difficult for me. I never know how many calories I should be eating. I didn't buy the 1200 that MFP told me to eat so I did some research. I'm 5'7", work out 6 days a week. My BMR is 1493. According to my activity level, I should be eating 2314 calories/day in order to maintain my weight. In order to lose weight, I read I should create a calorie deficit of at least 500 calories, but nothing more than a 1000 calorie deficit. This is really hard! I've been averaging anywhere from 1200 - 1300 net calories and most times cannot push myself to get to the 1300 - 1800 range. I'm wondering if I can push for 1500 maybe I'll see more results? This is all a mind game! Sometimes I feel so full I feel fat and gross and get discouraged and I don't like feeling that way.

Thank you so much for your insight. I'm going to try and up my calories, but again it's all a mind game to me. Bottom line is I want to get healthy. It doesn't matter what my scale says. I want to tone up and feel good about myself again. And, I want my mommy tummy to go away. Lol!!

Sounds like you chose the 2 lb per week loss goal? Might be too high for what you have to lose. And if you're feeling deprived, by all means lower your loss per week goal. You need to find a plan that is sustainable for you. So even if it means slightly slower loss - that's better than feeling deprived and giving up.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    This was a courageous and thought provoking post. Bumping.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. It is a real eye-opener.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Thanks for all of the kind comments - I appreciate it. :flowerforyou:
  • pisceanprincess
    pisceanprincess Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I did this for two years and have it documented on fatsecret.com I couldn't understand what was wrong until I came here. I gained for a while but now I am back at my starting weight. I am still struggling with my love/hate relationship for food but MFP has made me understand the need to fuel. Thanks for sharing your story
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Thank you! I did this for two years and have it documented on fatsecret.com I couldn't understand what was wrong until I came here. I gained for a while but now I am back at my starting weight. I am still struggling with my love/hate relationship for food but MFP has made me understand the need to fuel. Thanks for sharing your story

Feels so great when you finally understand, eh? I think there are a lot of women in this position - not severe enough for disordered eating, but who have a poor relationship with food and unintentionally suppressing appetite, leading to underfeeding. It's a long road fixing it, but so worth it.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    A little self bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    bump
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I can not believe I missed this post before. This pattern of eating describes my previous habits precisely. Thank you for sharing your experience.
  • iwlizz
    iwlizz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thank you for your post. I'm excited to be starting a healthier lifestyle, and now that I know what I've been doing wrong, and how to fix it, I won't be alarmed if my weight goes up first! :)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I can not believe I missed this post before. This pattern of eating describes my previous habits precisely. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I think that pattern is far more prevalent than most people realize, for both women and men, and I think it does contribute to a lot of the weight and health problems. So glad to see so many of us turning it around. :drinker:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    thank you for your post. I'm excited to be starting a healthier lifestyle, and now that I know what I've been doing wrong, and how to fix it, I won't be alarmed if my weight goes up first! :)

Congrats on making the commitment and good luck on reaching your goals! :flowerforyou: