Replies

• tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    lol. double post. how retarded! Sorry.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Not that this is a new one to me, but I'm sure it would be a new veggie to many, so if you're still stuck, this is an easy one to try. Fennel (Anise) - it tastes like licorice, so know that before you cook with it....LOL

My fav Fennel recipe is for dinner tonight - Sausage, Pepper & Fennel Penne (makes enough for 4-6 people) and I'm not sure on the cal counts in it. Depends on how much you have, I guess...LOL

Get italian sausage - if you like mild, hot or medium, get what you like. Can also substitute turkey sausages. Cut into 1 inch pieces and brown in sauce pan. Once all the pieces are browned (not cooked), add in 1 cup of water. This will help cook the sausage through as well as helping to remove the fat from the sausages. Drain & remove from pan and set aside.

Cut up sweet peppers (any colour). I like em a lot so I cut up 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 orange and 1 red into slices (1/4 inch thick) and take the bottom and top off the fennel (it'll come apart and look like a piece of big celery. Just chop into slices about the same size as the peppers. Take some of the top of the fennel off (looks like feather and mince), enough to make up about a tsp.

In the same pan (don't wash it - means not adding more fat) add all the veggies and chopped fennel top and lightly sautee, until just a little crispy, but cooked through. Add some italian seasoning. Add a tin of diced tomatoes and let simmer on the stove while the pasta cooks. If you have some time, add a splash of balsamic and/or red wine.

I use whole wheat penne and let it cook per the recommended levels - if anything undercook it slightly. I cook enough for half of the number of people because I'm watching the refined carbs (plus with the veggies, there's already lots of carbs in here). Add to the saucepan, if it's big enough and stir it up and let it finish cooking the pasta - only 1-2 minutes while you get everything else set up.

I love this because of all the veggies, I don't miss out on the pasta I'm missing and I only 4 sausages, it's relatively light on meat too....
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I was a good girl overall today.. :) Got up at 930, which was 8 hours after going to bed.. :) Cleaned the two places in the house that I said id clean today. Had brunch with my hubby, i chose a smaller proportion minus the bacon this time.. :) came home and did my zumba.. got ready for work.. While on my lunch hour today, I took a half hour and walked the trail thats behind the store, and took some pictures while I was out there.. It awas a nice peaceful half hour.. :) Got my exercise in there.. Very good.. :) Ate pretty good aside from a few small bad choices.. but nothing to fret over.. :)
  • tanniew78
    Options
    Turnips raw, taste like potatoes only without such a dirt/ root veggie taste. That is only faintly a part of the veggie. So I am excited about that part. However it does change my plans some as I am no longer doing a dessert dish with this. I think the paring of apples is with something like stuffing. Or perhaps as a chutney type thing for over some kind of meat....
  • prila13
    prila13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm confused on how this works... can someone please explain?
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Okay... did better with my water today! Did my regular cardio and also strength training as well as my EGGstra miles on the stationary bike: 5.9 miles. :happy: YAY! (I think I am a bit ahead on those.)

I eat SO many different vegetables... and I love them... I really couldn't find anything at the store that I haven't had... then I spied some persian cucumbers. So I bought 2 - they are small! We'll see how I will incorporate into my food tomoz. I may add them to my salad for dinner. Or throw them in some tabouli. While trying to figure out what to do with them, I learned that technically, cucumbers are a FRUIT, not a vegetable! LOL Who knew?!

I also bought some bok choy to saute with garlic and a bit of EVOO. Haven't had it for a couple months, but love eating it that way!
  • casey_when_u_go
    casey_when_u_go Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm confused on how this works... can someone please explain?

We have a few challenges given to us at the beginning of the week.
    Weigh in day is the day of your choice.
    Some people update through the week, some don't.
    It's very relaxed here :smile:
  • casey_when_u_go
    casey_when_u_go Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So Saturday morning is weigh in time.
    I still haven't lost any weight :noway: I'm still my starting weight!
    My personal trainer keeps telling me not to watch the scale, to concentrate on my fitness and my shape - I think I am going to have to do that now :smile:
    So .......... absolutely no weighing myself for at least 2 weeks - those scales are driving me crazy.
    It's all about the NSV's for a couple of weeks.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend:smile:
    x
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    My weigh in yesterday I was up 1.4 lbs, which I totally deserved... I had a bad week, I envy people that can eat like crazy and still lose weight as long as they are under their calories , that is NOT me, I have to watch what I eat, I saw pictures of myself last night and holy crap I am much bigger than I thought I was... sigh.... so up 1.4 this week, and off to the gym here soon to try and get 4 miles in and some abs
  • cazzincali
    Options
    Well, idiot me... I volunteered to work today. But luckily, it will only be 1/2 day!

I am struggling with not weighing myself every morning. It kills me NOT to step on the scale! I guess I like to see the results of what I do on a daily basis. How my salt intake affects my weight the next day, etc. But I have been sticking to only weighing in on my "regular" day with my personal trainer (Monday) and on Thursdays for another challenge I am participating in. :ohwell:

I was supposed to start motorcycle riding class this week, but it was canceled due to inclement weather! LOL Rescheduled in 2 weeks. :sad: (I am buying myself a Harley when I reach my goal!)
  • tanniew78
    Options
    cazzincali- That is very cool. Ive always wanted a chopper but Im scared to death of them things. lol.

smalltowngirl504- everyone has a bad week. Its good that you are doing something constructive with that rather than quitting. Not every diet plan works for every one.

casey_when_u_g- Maybe no loss, but no gain either. It maybe frustrating to break even, but its better than losing ground. Look at your plan and see where you might have gotten off track. I know my triggers are sugar. so I have been pretty intensely tracking what I put in my mouth. I still have a treat or two a day. However, most of my menu these days are vegetation. I use meat as a flavoring and sparingly eat carb laden foods. Carbs and me are not friends.

Hello to everyone else!

So I made a super delicious yummy breakfast this morning of sausage scrambles, roasted taters and turnips (OMG! Turnips are AWESOME!) and a mango/ peach/ banana salad. The turnip is my new favorite veggie. In fact, Ill more than likely never buy another potato again. I roasted them together, and Im telling you what... I could taste how dirty a potato tastes... It was GROSS compared to the sweet and mild flavor of the turnip. I am a fan now. :D
  • CrystalS
    CrystalS Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow, tannlew78, you have me wanting to try a turnip again. :laugh: I think I tried one, one time and....:sick: So how what is your absolute favorite way to eat it again? Maybe I'll give it another shot.

We've got the bug around here, so my exercise has been kind of non-existent with being sick myself and then cleaning up after the kids. :ohwell: On a better side, my weight should be down on Monday. :tongue: Always a silver lining to every cloud, I guess. :wink:

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • CrystalS
    Options
    So Saturday morning is weigh in time.
    I still haven't lost any weight :noway: I'm still my starting weight!
    My personal trainer keeps telling me not to watch the scale, to concentrate on my fitness and my shape - I think I am going to have to do that now :smile:

That is SO frustrating! I know your pain. I was the exact same the whole month of January and I was SO frustrated. Just keep at it! It pays to be consistent. :flowerforyou:

cazzincali - WOW, what a great reward!! I'm sorry about your class being cancelled. :ohwell:

smalltowngirl504 - Don't give up!!! We're cheering you on. :bigsmile:

Hello, to all the Newbies!!! Glad you're here! :flowerforyou:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    So today was my long run training day and I was so excited to try my new shoes! I know that doing a long run in brand new shoes may have been a dumb idea, but I was totally willing to stop if things got sore, but I was able to go the entire distance and I'm so happy with my new shoes!!! Plus, my new sports bra I bought held the girls in so snug and comfy... super happy about that! So it's official.. I ran FIVE whole miles today! The last half mile my knees were just a little tender, but I'd never gone that far before and when I got done the tenderness was better.

I was disappointed this week not to see any weight loss, but I'm so pumped about my running this 10k... I'm gonna kick it's BUTT!!!! Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • cazzincali
    Options
    cazzincali- That is very cool. Ive always wanted a chopper but Im scared to death of them things. lol.

So I made a super delicious yummy breakfast this morning of sausage scrambles, roasted taters and turnips (OMG! Turnips are AWESOME!) and a mango/ peach/ banana salad. The turnip is my new favorite veggie. In fact, Ill more than likely never buy another potato again. I roasted them together, and Im telling you what... I could taste how dirty a potato tastes... It was GROSS compared to the sweet and mild flavor of the turnip. I am a fan now. :D

I grew up riding dirt bikes and had a bf that had a ninja I used to ride every now and then. They don't scare me... but other people on the road do!! I am buying a HD Heritage Softail.... black and chrome! :bigsmile: My daughter said I just want an excuse to wear leathers when I am thin! She just may be correct about that!! :wink:

And turnips... yep - they ARE awesome tasting!! YUM! As a kid, I ate them raw out of the garden. (Along with other veggies!) I can still hear my mom yelling at me to get out of the garden!! But the green beans, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, even sweet corn all tasted SO good!! LOL I would pull them out of the ground (or whatever), wip'em off on my clothes... and munch away!!
  • tanniew78
    Options
    Wow, tannlew78, you have me wanting to try a turnip again. :laugh: I think I tried one, one time and....:sick: So how what is your absolute favorite way to eat it again? Maybe I'll give it another shot.

We've got the bug around here, so my exercise has been kind of non-existent with being sick myself and then cleaning up after the kids. :ohwell: On a better side, my weight should be down on Monday. :tongue: Always a silver lining to every cloud, I guess. :wink:

I have only had them roasted and raw so far. Roasted is by far my favorite. Eating it raw tasted just like a raw potato only not as dirt/ earthy flavored. And it depends on cooking time on whether it gets gross or not. I guess the longer you cook it the more bitter it becomes. I roasted it at 450 for 20 minutes. which was just right. They came out sooo sweet. I just tossed them with nonstick cooking spray and black pepper. SO good.
  • tanniew78
    Options

I grew up riding dirt bikes and had a bf that had a ninja I used to ride every now and then. They don't scare me... but other people on the road do!! I am buying a HD Heritage Softail.... black and chrome! :bigsmile: My daughter said I just want an excuse to wear leathers when I am thin! She just may be correct about that!! :wink:

And turnips... yep - they ARE awesome tasting!! YUM! As a kid, I ate them raw out of the garden. (Along with other veggies!) I can still hear my mom yelling at me to get out of the garden!! But the green beans, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, even sweet corn all tasted SO good!! LOL I would pull them out of the ground (or whatever), wip'em off on my clothes... and munch away!!

HAHAHA! I had cousins that would do this too. They got yelled at alot as well... Hey at least it was good for them and not loading up with candy. :)

And heck yeah... im going to take any opportunity to wear whatever I like when Im at my goal. :)
  • CrystalS
    Options

I have only had them roasted and raw so far. Roasted is by far my favorite. Eating it raw tasted just like a raw potato only not as dirt/ earthy flavored. And it depends on cooking time on whether it gets gross or not. I guess the longer you cook it the more bitter it becomes. I roasted it at 450 for 20 minutes. which was just right. They came out sooo sweet. I just tossed them with nonstick cooking spray and black pepper. SO good.

Thanks! I bought one today, only I realized that I have never tried a turnip. It was BEETS that I had tried. :laugh: :laugh: I had to laugh at myself when I saw the beets and thought THAT was a turnip. :laugh: So I'm having a turnip for supper. :wink:
  • tanniew78
    Options

Thanks! I bought one today, only I realized that I have never tried a turnip. It was BEETS that I had tried. :laugh: :laugh: I had to laugh at myself when I saw the beets and thought THAT was a turnip. :laugh: So I'm having a turnip for supper. :wink:

LOL! Beets are beyond gross. I never cared much for those. And I have tried them a few times different ways. Sometimes you just cant acclimate yourself to a food no matter how hard you try.
  • cazzincali
    Options
    I eat beets occasionally, but they aren't my fav!

Making a pot of steel cut oats for breakfast. Adding apple, cinnamon and raisins to them. Cooking it overnight in the crockpot.

Now... off to the gym for my cardio... did arm strengthening at home already. Will do legs at gym. :smile: