Senior Golden Sneakers -March 2011

Options

Replies

• lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Okay...I'll shut up after this one..:tongue: but I just had to share it since it involves ...well you'll see.:bigsmile:
    An older lady was somewhat lonely and decided she needed a pet to
    keep her company. So, off to the pet shop she went. She searched
    and searched.. None of the pets seemed to catch her interest, except
    this ugly frog. As she walked by the jar he was in, she looked and he
    winked at her.

He whispered, I'M SO LONELY, TOO.. BUY ME
    AND TAKE ME HOME. YOU WON'T EVER BE
    SORRY.

The old lady figured, what the heck! She hadn't found
    anything else. So, she bought the frog. She placed
    him in the car, on the front seat beside her. As she
    was slowly driving down the road, the frog whispered
    to her "KISS ME AND YOU WON'T BE SORRY!"

So! The old lady figured, WHAT THE HECK, and
    kissed the frog.

IMMEDIATELY the frog turned into an
    absolutely gorgeous, sexy, young, handsome prince.

THE PRINCE THEN RETURNED THE OLD LADY'S
    KISS. SUDDENLY THE OLD LADY FELT HERSELF
    TRANSFORMING FROM HIS KISS. NOW CAN YOU
    GUESS WHAT THE OLD LADY TURNED INTO?

COME ON GUESS!

SHE TURNED INTO THE FIRST
    HOLIDAY INN SHE COULD FIND!!

She's old....... NOT DEAD!!!

OLD LADIES ROCK
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Oh Lynn you take the cake

Phoebe To get serious the sneakers recipe link is :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/139933-golden-sneakers-recipes

SNEAKERS here is the link to our birthday list if you sre not on it send Sandy your birthdate Don't need the year Just the month and date:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/132549-ssniors-golden-sneaker-s-birthdays
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Hi everybody! Thanks for your encouragement. i'm back on track today - ate a little more calories than i have been, but still under so i feel much better. Plus made it to the gym. I got done by 4:00 today.WHEW!

MARIE - you're so welcome for veggie ideas - and of course, please put the recipe for roasted butternut on the thread. For brussel sprouts - i would just steam them and use some butter spray and garlic salt on them. i grew those 1 summer - that was pretty fun! I try and plant something new and different each year.

BARBIE - i sure love your idea - and i DID work for 2 people yesterday..........still don't think i burned all the calories for both of us. DARN!:grumble:

hey BARB - i know just how you feel - i've been there and it's just a hard place. What Sandy said sometimes works for me - if i just PUSH myself to get up and out (and off of that thing like in Lynns song!) Sometimes i have to take a night off and read a book or watch a movie. Hysterical story about the terrier in the fridge - and yes! i DO remember your fridge monster!!!!!!!:bigsmile:

Oldtyke - sorry, what is BNS?

SANDY - you are so NOT wrong to eat whtaever you want! That's why we're doing all this! The way i see it - we stay on whatever "program" we've chosen for ourself, keep our calories down and our activity up, AND enjoy our lives and the times of our lives that include food! i'm never going to stop cooking for and enjoying food with my family and friends. I'm just not going to do it every single day and night. So the 7 week old (Kodi) doesn't play a whole lot yet - but i DO have to bounce her on the ball quite a bit! lol - don't know how many calories i'm burning. BUT i'm SO excited - my dil just called and asked if i'll babysit first thing Tuesday morning 'cause she has to do a safety meeting! oh BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my first time babysitting Kodi!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so honored!!!!!!!!:love::bigsmile: :love: :bigsmile:

LYNN - i love your energy! Those natural high feelings are so awesome - when they come from taking good care of ourselves, being active and feeding our bodies well......it's just the BEST! Thanks for sharing that AND all the songs with us! And if we're old ladies, heck YES old ladies rock! have you read the quote on my profile about being an outrageous old woman? i love that one. Thank you for the good biz wishes too. The new busines - which is Just Bekuz Products still isn't doing that well. Our old famiy business, which is Goodwinol Products is having a kick *kitten* first quarter so far so THAT'S a good thing! That's what we've been so crazy busy with.

MARIE - so sorry i confused you. I've always signed e mails l, e - which is a phonetic for my name - elli - and also stands for Love, elli............l, e! I just started using it here............didn't mean to create confusion! it's just me!

Well, i picked up our new book group book at the library tonight - The Lake of Dreams - so i'm going to shut down the computer, AND the kitchen so i'm not tempted and snuggle up with Hercky and a good (i hope!) book! Planning on working out again in the morning.

l, e (love, :heart: elli!)
  • elli
    Options
    Sorry - 1 more thing i forgot - those of you on Facebook - please check out Prayers for Delaney. she's a little girl in a neighboring town. Warning - it'll break your heart.:brokenheart:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    We often have a tray of roasted veg. BNS is a favourite, but I do chicken with BNS courgettes,red onion wedges, carrots and baby potatoes with frylight (low fat spray) garlic lemon zest ,juice and balsamic. Just bung it all in the oven for 35-40 mins at 190c. Actually a recipe from Slimming World, a club over here which I think started in Florida last summer. I like it cos you don't have to count calories.
    I know courgettes are what we call zucchini but for the life of me, I don't know what BNS might be. Beef Noodle Soup???
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I think BNS is butternut squash. They make chips from them too.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Connie,

Your story was hilarious. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I guess one could say that the old outrageous lady "jumped" at the chance to get better acquainted with the frog prince!!! :wink:

Today I managed to get up earlier than I have been, took the doggies for their first walk since last weekend, before the rain arrived. Drove to 3 different stores to do my mom's shopping, and then visited the friend from whom I caught my bug. She is healthy now, but when she wasn't, I was over their a lot, and about a week after I started taking care of things she couldn't manage, then I caught it, but my case was nowhere near as bad as her. She was on heavy antibiotics for a sinus infection, and almost had pneumonia, according to her doctor. I was just tired as all get out.,,have been sleeping about 12 hours a day, but my schedule is all goofed up, as it is after 4am PST, and I am still wide awake, haven't been to bed yet.

As I had mentioned in my last post, I had only been out once since Friday, and that happened to be to grab a bite at Applebee's with my neighbor. Today, when I went to put my Bluetooth in my purse, I realized my wallet/id, and my credit card case were both missing. A quick search of the house made it clear that I hadn't taken them out and put them down. I reviewed my weeks activities, or lack thereof, and realized the last place I had used my wallet was at Applebee's. If my stuff had fallen out of my purse in my neighbor's car, he would have been in touch long before now, so I crossed my fingers and called Applebee's.

Was I ever relieved to talk to the on duty manager, who quickly assured me that a server or busperson had turned both items in immediately, and they had been locked in the safe, to which only managers have access. She said she was beginning to wonder what had happened to me, since it had been almost a week since they were turned in. So how do I spell relief? F - O - U - N - D W -A - L - L - E - T!!!! I would have discovered them missing much earlier, but the one transaction I did online, the credit card info was already saved in my Paypal, so I had no reason to look it up. As near as I can figure, I got the money out to pay my half of the dinner, then put my id and card case on the booth seat next to me. :noway:

When we got up to leave, I was so intent on not forgetting my phone or my leftovers that I picked up my purse without looking next to me, and left them both on the seat. What a fiasco!! Don't even want to THINK of the problems I would be having if my stuff had fallen in to the wrong hands!!:noway: :noway:

Hope everyone has a good Saturday. I am supposed to attend a dinner with a friend this evening (Saturday), so may not be on here again until later in weekend.

Barb
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sorry girls! Yes BNS is butternut squash.What a relief for you Barb! My heart would have been in my mouth too.
    Well so much for the auction, I overslept! Yes me who can't sleep! Still think how much money I've saved! Love the joke Connie! Just eaten a "Slimming World quiche " Sweat off onions, peppers,peas,mustard seeds garlic and ginger in low fat spread.Then mix half a tub of cottage cheese into 4 eggs, add to the veg mixture and today I added diced salad potatoes. Into the oven at 180c for 30 mins. Serves 2. Sometimes I use a hand blender to mix the eggs and cottage cheese, or I use quark.
    We have a pheasant walking round the garden. I have a row of fat balls and containers with seeds and peanuts for the small birds, the pheasant (who I call Percy) just hoovers up the leftovers. I'm watching about 50 sparrows having a feeding frenzy! They've chased the blue-tits away.
    Dull and wet again here, so I'm going to get a good book out and curl up on the settee. Take care everyone Judi x
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Good morning Ladies.

Another dark day in Central Illinois, looking forward to going out to dinner with friends tonight, we're also going to see a performance at the Local College "Chemical Imbalance" A Jekyll and Hyde Play or dark comedy.:smile::smile: :smile:
    Today I need to get things rolling for our trip on Tuesday, but I don't feel with the energy to do anything, but maybe reading will be good:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Lyn loved the joke, more power to old ladies we ROCK.

Barb - so sorry you went thru all that, my feeling exactly when losing any documents, so happy you got everything back:flowerforyou::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hope everyone has a super weekend.

Gigi
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning Sneakers.:flowerforyou: , Happy Saturday:flowerforyou:

Thanks Maddie "you lihgt up my life":flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Barbs I have misplace my Billfold serval times.Had to go thru all of that business of replacing things Really thow me for a loop So glad you got you stuff back..

:flowerforyou: Judi Look like we will be getting
    some Uk education her. And i think that is great..... quake is cream cheese" I think that would work into my plan. Thank you.

:flowerforyou: Gigi, Hope you enjoy your dinner and the play. . and i am going out to the fish pond and find me a frog to Kiss. Wish me luck.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Phoebe now aren;t you the smart one knowing what BNS was. I don't know about oven temp. tho.. But I think i made give it a try.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou::explode: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Connie I knew about courgettes too Mighty good eating:drinker: :happy: :drinker: I thin that catch me up to everyone that posted after I went to bed last night.

See you guys later when something else pop into my head (what head) ???
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    Happy Gloomy Saturday!! :angry: I think it is just God's way of saying we need the rain to get rid of the ugly snow so Spring can come in beautiful. :flowerforyou:

Marie, good luck finding that frog, did you want me to make reservations at the Holiday Inn??:laugh:

Gigi, have fun at dinner and the play, enjoy your friends, life is good. :love:

Judi, you are with some great cooks, unfortunately I am not one of them. :noway: You have such a good way with words, it must be an English thing. :tongue: Watching all the birds must be a wonderful sight, they tend to stay away from my yard because of my dog, although the other day she was barking and barking and when I went to check what was wrong there was a cat sitting at the gate in the inside of my fence. Daisy did not chase it or go near it, she just barked at it. We wonder if she went close and got hissed at or swiped but she just sat and barked. I had to go out and chase the cat out of my yard so we could get some peace.
    :laugh:

Barb, sounds like you are in a little better mood, I am so glad. :bigsmile: God was watching over you and your wallet, thank goodness no one found it, that could have been a nightmare. I love your sense of humor and am glad you are back posting. :love:

Phoebe, you are so smart. :bigsmile: Don't worry about addressing all of us, just check in and let us know how you are doing. :heart:

Connie, Beef, Noodle Soup was a good guess, but wrong. :laugh:

Eli, the Prayers for Delaney is very sad, do you know her personally? Am I reading the story correctly, is she 3 years old and was told she wouldn't make it to a year? She is one little fighter and so cute. :heart:

Lynn, you are one funny lady, thanks for keeping us smiling and laughing. :laugh:

Barbie, I wish I could be as disciplined as you, it is evident that your program works the best from the weight you have lost and maintain. :drinker: I used to like fast food and junk food so much so I have learned to watch what I eat the best I can. I think I was more disciplined when I first joined because I did manage to lose 14 pounds so I am proud of that. I know I could shred these last 3 pounds if I really tried but I am content with what I am doing and as you say what ever works is good as long as I don't slip into bad habits again. You know you are my hero. :love:

My son bought my granddaughter a new Ford Focus yesterday after she passed her drivers test. :bigsmile: It is sitting in my garage waiting to surprise her later today. :tongue: She is going to be so excited, I hope I can catch it on video.:love: He decided he wanted her to have a new car instead of a used car so she would have a safe car to drive. She is one lucky girl, I hope she appreciates what he has done for her, which I think she will. :bigsmile:

We have a benefit from my other granddaughter's school tonight. It is a dinner, dancing, auction fundraiser, the theme being St. Patrick's Day. Sounds like that means corn beef and cabbage for dinner which means I better get lots of exercise in today. :ohwell:

Have a great Saturday.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,005 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's gray and drizzly here, too. the dogs don't care. we went for our usual early AM walk.....just as I'm getting excited about daylight before 7 AM, I realize that daylight savings time starts in a week and I'll lose that lovely early morning light for another month or more. :cry: :cry:

:flowerforyou: Barb, I thought that some of your lethargy might be related to your not feeling well and I'm glad that you're starting to feel better and a bit more motivated....sorry that some of the motivation to get moving came from misplacing your wallet which is high on the stress level meter.......

:flowerforyou: my most recent lost document panic came when I was gathering information for my income tax and couldn't find the receipt and documentation for the property tax I paid.....of course I discovered this at 6 PM on Friday so I had to stew about it all weekend until I could call the proper office and see if they could provide a duplicate receipt......as it turned out, I didn't even have to go the office, she e mailed the document and the panic was over.....if I had been in her office I would have hugged her :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: the last lost wallet story was when Jake lost his wallet. After checking every store he'd been in recently, he replaced drivers' license, credit cards, medical insurance card, and probably some other stuff........a couple of weeks later he found the wallet on the floor in the back corner of the closet......apparently it fell out of his pants when he hung them up and he didn't notice :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Gigi, enjoy your trip on Tuesday and your play tonight.

:flowerforyou: Judi, your pheasant sounds delightful :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Marie, good luck finding a frog......but don't tell Jerry:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Who was it that said her pants were longer so her butt must be getting smaller? It sounds like a Maddie phrase, maybe a Buzz, Barb too, except she has been unwell. Anyway, this morning, I noticed my long pants, and had to laugh! Of course this may not mean Ive had a shrinkage, but Im not weighing, so I can take it as a SIGN! Then again, some pants are longer than others :-) !

Either way, im sticking to my plan, more or less! My cheat is with roasted dark chocolate almonds. They only vary slightly in nutrition content, and it feels like an indulgence. It is not the same as chocolate covered almonds. Try them if you find them!

It seems to be an epidemic of gray days, rain and traffic everywhere. We are in TN now, will deliver and pick up another load Monday and be California bound again. Maybe we will go home for a couple of days after that. Just to see the weeds I guess. I dreamed we drove slowly past our house, and we waved to it! Dh got a kick out of that!
    judi, love your garden 'scene'. The trouble with it is that for me, I could watch the birds all day! They are so much fun. Percy must be a regular, since he has a name. Are you sure he is not Sir Percy? Lol!
    our two cats love to watch birds, and they chatter to them, which is probably why they never catch them:-)
    barb, so glad you recovered your wallet, it is a terrible feeling! Makes me weak to go thru something like that.
    barbie, happy wet dogs, love that image, especially the way they dry themselves, no towel needed, just shake shake shake! Maybe we should try that one!

Marie, enjoy your Saturday with Jerry. Its about time for one of your family feasts isnt it?
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Phoebe. When is your 8 weeks up before you can weigh in. I have to go to April 1 to weigh. We shou\d ls be weighing about the same time. I sure hope I can stick with this one, I been on more diets than Opray.d You seems to be doing real good on your plan. so proud of you. It is really helping me to have someone to report in to and answer all the questions I have. I also think having s structed to go by is good for me. I have a list of my foods and we weigh all of our food. And I am stayin satisfy on my meals. I send Xyla my menu for the nest day and ahe sends it back to me Explain what I need to change and I go by it the next day, She is my spomser. and a good one at that. I don't remember too much about Met b but the first 8 weeks without fruit was really hard for me..
    I am making chili for tomorrow with the ingredent I can have. Well better get my menu done for tomorrow an get it sent in to Xyla.

Have a good day.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    DSC02369-1.jpg

She was so excited to get her new car!! Great surprise!!
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh what? There is nothing like a new car!
  • elli
    Options
    happy Saturday buddies! hope everyone is having a good weekend. I was up by6 this morning and went to the gym early so i could get back in time to shower and make it to the bank. Working out in the morning is great.

CONNIE - thanks for not knowing bns either - beef noodlesoup was a good guess!

BARB - oh gosh - how SCARY. I'm so glad your wallet was safe in their safe! Thank GOD for honest people!

OLDTYKE - quark??????? I love how we're learning all these new words and phrases! The quiche recipe sounds interresting. I may try that! Very cool that you have a pheasant in your garden! Often when the dogs and i are walking we'll flush 1 or 2 out of the tall weeds. The males sure are colorful!

MARIE - hey! let me know how that frog thing works out for you. Hey WAIT - you already HAVE a "frog"!!!!!! (don't tell Jerry i called him a Frog!) so if it works you better send him up here to me!:laugh: oh wait, never mind - what would i do with a frog????????:tongue: for some unknown reason i thought the courgette was some sort of bread..........go figure.

SANDY - thank you for looking at Prayers for Delaney. My niece went to school with her parents. It's just touched everyone's hearts in this rural area we live in. I guess my son's boss and he are going to do something......a donation or a fundraiser.........stuff has been going on for her since before Christmas. A few days ago she picked out her own casket and burial site...........:brokenheart: :cry: Yes - her 4th birthday is March 26 and she's not expected to be here for it............
    Wow - a brand new car! Is that for Brianne? hope i didn't mangle her name. That is awesome. when my younger boy was 12 he decided he wanted a brand new pick up when he turned 16 so we made a deal that if he could save a huge downpayment i would make the monthly payments 'till he graduated hs (or college should he have chosen)and we'd share the truck. NEVER did i believe he'd save the $$ but i should have known by then........we got a pick up.

PHOEBE - congrats on the long pants!!!!!!!!!!!!! obviously you're doing something right! oh - dark chocolate almonds, or cashews......or ANYTHING dark chocolate for that matter! trail mix is my downfall - anything with nuts, dried fruit and dark chocolate. oh yea:happy: problem is i can eat about a pound of it by myself!:noway:

OK - i'm off to see if it's dogwalking weather out there - i'm thinking no though - kinda gray, dreary and rainy looking here today too.

Happy Day!

:heart: elli
  • elli
    Options
    SANDY - thanks for the picture! What FUN and what an awesome surprise for her!

l, e
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hello to all you lovely ladies...a wet cooler day here today so my plans have changed...would have liked to be out in the garden but not to be.

I really blew my calorie intake last night..we were invited to a friend's place for dinner...he always goes to a lot of trouble for us as he lives on his own and doesn't cook properly just for himself. I was going well with the chicken and salad but then he brought out sticky date pud, icecream and cream. Well I couldn't be rude and refuse it so very politely ate every last crumb on my plate. ...washed down by a bottle of bubbly.... It was really hard to do but glad I at least made someone happy....LOL Have redeemed myself slightly by going on the treadmill for 45 mins and may just punish myself a little bit more later.

Marie, the fish and chips I mentioned on Friday were from our local fish shop...my night off from cooking and I really look forward to them. It's always been a tradional thing from way back when my boys were little. I hope your Jerry gets good results on Monday.

Sandy, your granddaughter is one lucky girl getting a new car but they do need reliable vehicles so sensible doing that...I've been giving my grandson driving lessons but think I'll leave it to his father as i don't want any more grey hairs.

Judi - your recipe sounds good..will have to try that one.

Phoebe..sounds like a busy time for you...hopefully you will get home and relax for a few days.

Barbie - daylight saving is about to end here - I'm not looking forward to the long dark nights....bring on spring.

Gigi -The earthquake situation has not improved...about 150 bodies have not been released to the families because of identification issues..so hard not being able to get any closure - not even able to have a funeral service etc. A larger one has been predicted around the 20th March so everyone is on tenterhooks...hopefully it wont happen - there have been over 5000 aftershocks since the September quake so something weird going on down there. Still a lot of homes that are without power or water. We just take all these things for granted don't we? I would go crazy if I couldn't log in to MFP every day.

It's stopped raining so i'm off outside to do something while I can..

Have a great day everyone (or night)

Judy
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies, winter has returned with gusto, we are under a major dump today. I have been working online today and I learned a new fact, yes! Did you know that diet restricted (people that watch what they eat, everyday) actually lose weight, maintain it better than dieters. People on diets tend to cheat when they feel deprived, and eat more than what is needed. People that restrict their portions and choices, tend to splurge too, but with some food that is better nutritionally. Well that makes some sense to me. The first thing you feel is restriction and deprivation when you say I'm on a diet. But saying I'm going to cut back, leaves the mind calm.

Any way, due for the third set of exercises today, my sister is in the kitchen and she is cooking something that smells soooo good! So I shall fly by the kitchen and land in the gym. Catch you all tomorrow:wink:

Marilyn