Options

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    http://livingtraditionally.com/the-easiest-homemade-colon-cleanser/

I just found this little gem on my FB page, and it got 'liked' by 12 of my friends. I need new friends.

If you really want to see how long it takes for food to pass through your digestive system, eat a big bowl of Fruit Loops and wait for the poop to be a weird purple and green shade. Usually it takes less than 24 hours.

30 lb of waste backed up????????????????????? Yeah right.

I experience this daily with my refusing to potty train 3 year old. Yay for rainbow poops!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I am surprised that nobody has suggested building a pyramid over one's bed yet. oh, crap. Am I the only one here old enough to remember when that was A Thing? Although, I think that was supposed to make it so you'd never age, not to detoxify. It was the 70s, we lived in a toxin-rich environment back then.

I do remember that pyramid fad! Someone even built a pyramid house off of I-94 in southeast Wisconsin, and every time I drove up there, I wondered how they hung pictures and arranged furniture. I think the Pyramid Era was the one before the Miracle Magnets Era.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    You know I don't comment on much around here but reading this post makes me think yall are a bunch of bully's. Do you really need to mock this person message after message? Let it go.

The plural of bully is bullies.

bully!!!!

I prefer 'grammar nazi', thanks :)

totally OT: There's a new channel on U-verse called "AWE", it's all just shows about stuff rich people have and do. I watched one episode of a show about fancy islands and the host described how you could go snorkeling and see "specie after specie after specie". I never heard back from them, but the note I wrote really cracked me up.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    How do you genetically test a vitamin?

Based on this thread, I'm pretty sure it involves massage therapy.

Strong first post. Seriously!
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Strong first post. Seriously!

Thanks. This thread has made my day. It's nice to see that the attitudes here about alt-med, etc. run toward the skeptical side. I honestly expected a lot worse, given the popular forum topics that pop up on the right side of the MFP home page from time to time...
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    that's what my liver gets paid the big bucks for.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    You know I don't comment on much around here but reading this post makes me think yall are a bunch of bully's. Do you really need to mock this person message after message? Let it go.

This thread stopped being about the OP a long time ago. Now people are mocking alt-med in general.

For the record, I hate alt-med and will mock it at every turn. Not the people who are fleeced by it, but the people who do the fleecing. They absolutely deserve to be mocked.

We were just having this discussion at work because I read an article that the NY Attorney General has banned several vitamins and supplements that were genetically tested and found to have no trace of the substance they claimed to be in their product. We were wondering how the hell you make the decision that you are going to sell a product and then just say "and we can save money by not actually putting that ingredient in there"...

What is wrong with people?!

you can't.

It has no genes.

Rhetorical question.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    ....And I really hope it wasn't a high voltage of electricity... :#

Did you know that high voltage is less fatal than low voltage? Low voltage shocks are most likely to cause defib of the heart, which is very difficult to correct since your heart is still beating, but not well enough to keep you alive. High volt shocks are more likely to temporarily stop your heart, at which point your heart is more likely to resume natural rhythm on it's own. Learned it in my one electrical engineering class and I was shocked (get it)! Note: I'm not talking lighting strikes here...

Did you know that voltage has nothing to do with electricity's ability to kill you?

You're talking about current. Over 0.1 amps is enough to kill you. Below that, and no matter how much or how little voltage you have, it will not kill you (unless you have an underlying medical condition).

Voltage and current are related though. Given the same resistance, low voltage will have high current. High voltage will have low current. Therefore, high voltage is less likely to kill you, if the resistance is low enough (again, given the same voltage, high resistance will have higher current, lower resistance will have lower current).

I = V*R

I = current
    V = Voltage
    R = resistance

Trust me, I took grade 9 physics.

I hope the bolded was the punchline, because the rest of your post is completely wrong. Ohm's law: V=IR, not I=VR.

Shhhh.... there may have been a reason I went the civil engineering route instead of electrical... shhhh... wait... did someone just save me there? Maybe! I remember all of one fact and I might not even have it right. *sigh*...

I also am not doing well with coding related to quoting.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

30 lb of waste backed up????????????????????? Yeah right.

It would look something like this
    Elephant+Toilet+!+Someone+Built+A+Toilet+For+This+Elephant+And+Taught+Him+How+To+Use+It.jpg
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You have to send them an eviction notice. You'll need to meet with a lawyer, to ensure you've filed the proper paperwork. If you don't, the toxins can sue you and boy does that get messy.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I am surprised that nobody has suggested building a pyramid over one's bed yet. oh, crap. Am I the only one here old enough to remember when that was A Thing? Although, I think that was supposed to make it so you'd never age, not to detoxify. It was the 70s, we lived in a toxin-rich environment back then.

I do remember that pyramid fad! Someone even built a pyramid house off of I-94 in southeast Wisconsin, and every time I drove up there, I wondered how they hung pictures and arranged furniture. I think the Pyramid Era was the one before the Miracle Magnets Era.
    Anyone remember "In Search Of" narrated by Leonard Nimoy and "That's Incredible?" They covered this stuff which would become the stuff of Ancient Aliens of today.

Boy I loved those shows.

Also, I've driven past that pyramid house many times.. kitsch.

The real wackaloons adjacent to pyramid house come from "The University of Lawsonomy." - a kind of depression era crank theory of everything.

"Lawsonomy combined religion and economics and was based on a belief and adherence to what Lawson called "natural laws." Among several laws of the philosophy were: To know God one must understand his laws, true character is formed by unselfish acts, if man will act right he can have knowledge, God permits inactive creatures to perish and others.

Lawson used his philosophy to speak out about patriotism, diet, freedom of expression, spiritual worship and many other subjects. His followers were a disciplined group, wearing uniforms and adhering to a military-like structure."
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

This thread stopped being about the OP a long time ago. Now people are mocking alt-med in general.

For the record, I hate alt-med and will mock it at every turn. Not the people who are fleeced by it, but the people who do the fleecing. They absolutely deserve to be mocked.

We were just having this discussion at work because I read an article that the NY Attorney General has banned several vitamins and supplements that were genetically tested and found to have no trace of the substance they claimed to be in their product. We were wondering how the hell you make the decision that you are going to sell a product and then just say "and we can save money by not actually putting that ingredient in there"...

What is wrong with people?!

you can't.

It has no genes.

Rhetorical question.

I know that. You know that.
    Does the lurker know that?

Does the person who fears mercury in vaccines know that?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    ....And I really hope it wasn't a high voltage of electricity... :#

Did you know that high voltage is less fatal than low voltage? Low voltage shocks are most likely to cause defib of the heart, which is very difficult to correct since your heart is still beating, but not well enough to keep you alive. High volt shocks are more likely to temporarily stop your heart, at which point your heart is more likely to resume natural rhythm on it's own. Learned it in my one electrical engineering class and I was shocked (get it)! Note: I'm not talking lighting strikes here...

Did you know that voltage has nothing to do with electricity's ability to kill you?

You're talking about current. Over 0.1 amps is enough to kill you. Below that, and no matter how much or how little voltage you have, it will not kill you (unless you have an underlying medical condition).

Voltage and current are related though. Given the same resistance, low voltage will have high current. High voltage will have low current. Therefore, high voltage is less likely to kill you, if the resistance is low enough (again, given the same voltage, high resistance will have higher current, lower resistance will have lower current).

I = V*R

I = current
    V = Voltage
    R = resistance

Trust me, I took grade 9 physics.

I hope the bolded was the punchline, because the rest of your post is completely wrong. Ohm's law: V=IR, not I=VR.

Shhhh.... there may have been a reason I went the civil engineering route instead of electrical... shhhh... wait... did someone just save me there? Maybe! I remember all of one fact and I might not even have it right. *sigh*...

I also am not doing well with coding related to quoting.

Actually, I'd like to take part of that back. The rest wasn't completely wrong. Yes, it's current that is the real issue - not voltage. But higher voltage means higher current, given a constant load.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to go ahead and post this for the lurkers, about the essential oils thing and doTERRA specifically.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/doterra-multilevel-marketing-of-essential-oils/

A family friend of ours has an infant son who has been having all sorts of allergic reactions and digestive issues. The mom is breastfeeding, and she wound up going on a pretty extreme elimination diet to try and alleviate the symptoms. After literally months of hives, allergy tests, gastric distress, and so on, they figured out it was basically because she was overdosing her son on essential oils (!!!!!). She had been applying them straight to her skin, ingesting them, and applying them to her son. I can't even explain to you the rage I feel about the local mommy cults that exist that promote such irresponsible and dangerous behavior.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I know that. You know that.
    Does the lurker know that?

Does the person who fears mercury in vaccines know that?

conspiracy-keanu.jpg
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and post this for the lurkers, about the essential oils thing and doTERRA specifically.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/doterra-multilevel-marketing-of-essential-oils/

A family friend of ours has an infant son who has been having all sorts of allergic reactions and digestive issues. The mom is breastfeeding, and she wound up going on a pretty extreme elimination diet to try and alleviate the symptoms. After literally months of hives, allergy tests, gastric distress, and so on, they figured out it was basically because she was overdosing her son on essential oils (!!!!!). She had been applying them straight to her skin, ingesting them, and applying them to her son. I can't even explain to you the rage I feel about the local mommy cults that exist that promote such irresponsible and dangerous behavior.
    Dear FSM.

One wonders why if someone intends to use something as a medicine, why resort to a nostrum that is not held to the same rigorous standards that the rest of medical science is held to? On one hand is the corpus of medical science and on the other hand there are people who read the internet and play doctor.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Dear FSM.

One wonders why if someone intends to use something as a medicine, why resort to a nostrum that is not held to the same rigorous standards that the rest of medical science is held to? On one hand is the corpus of medical science and on the other hand there are people who read the internet and play doctor.

You referenced FSM. <3
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Dear FSM.

I'm wondering when "natural" started meaning "safe" and "better".
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I poop, sweat, and urinate.

I highly recommend all three.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

I've heard it both ways.

This discussion has been closed.