How do you get rid of toxins?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Talkradio wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and post this for the lurkers, about the essential oils thing and doTERRA specifically.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/doterra-multilevel-marketing-of-essential-oils/

A family friend of ours has an infant son who has been having all sorts of allergic reactions and digestive issues. The mom is breastfeeding, and she wound up going on a pretty extreme elimination diet to try and alleviate the symptoms. After literally months of hives, allergy tests, gastric distress, and so on, they figured out it was basically because she was overdosing her son on essential oils (!!!!!). She had been applying them straight to her skin, ingesting them, and applying them to her son. I can't even explain to you the rage I feel about the local mommy cults that exist that promote such irresponsible and dangerous behavior.
    Dear FSM.

One wonders why if someone intends to use something as a medicine, why resort to a nostrum that is not held to the same rigorous standards that the rest of medical science is held to? On one hand is the corpus of medical science and on the other hand there are people who read the internet and play doctor.
    I'm wondering when "natural" started meaning "safe" and "better".

around the same time people started fearing unnamed terrors in the night.

So, forever. Thanks folk medicine. >_<
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    V=IR. Trust me on this one.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    ....And I really hope it wasn't a high voltage of electricity... :#

Did you know that high voltage is less fatal than low voltage? Low voltage shocks are most likely to cause defib of the heart, which is very difficult to correct since your heart is still beating, but not well enough to keep you alive. High volt shocks are more likely to temporarily stop your heart, at which point your heart is more likely to resume natural rhythm on it's own. Learned it in my one electrical engineering class and I was shocked (get it)! Note: I'm not talking lighting strikes here...

Did you know that voltage has nothing to do with electricity's ability to kill you?

You're talking about current. Over 0.1 amps is enough to kill you. Below that, and no matter how much or how little voltage you have, it will not kill you (unless you have an underlying medical condition).

Voltage and current are related though. Given the same resistance, low voltage will have high current. High voltage will have low current. Therefore, high voltage is less likely to kill you, if the resistance is low enough (again, given the same voltage, high resistance will have higher current, lower resistance will have lower current).

I = V*R

I = current
    V = Voltage
    R = resistance

Trust me, I took grade 9 physics.

I hope the bolded was the punchline, because the rest of your post is completely wrong. Ohm's law: V=IR, not I=VR.

Shhhh.... there may have been a reason I went the civil engineering route instead of electrical... shhhh... wait... did someone just save me there? Maybe! I remember all of one fact and I might not even have it right. *sigh*...

I also am not doing well with coding related to quoting.

Quiet now! It was over 14 years ago!

But I am right. I = V*R

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/ohm/Q.ohm.intro.html

V = I/R
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    You know I don't comment on much around here but reading this post makes me think yall are a bunch of bully's. Do you really need to mock this person message after message? Let it go.

This thread stopped being about the OP a long time ago. Now people are mocking alt-med in general.

For the record, I hate alt-med and will mock it at every turn. Not the people who are fleeced by it, but the people who do the fleecing. They absolutely deserve to be mocked.

We were just having this discussion at work because I read an article that the NY Attorney General has banned several vitamins and supplements that were genetically tested and found to have no trace of the substance they claimed to be in their product. We were wondering how the hell you make the decision that you are going to sell a product and then just say "and we can save money by not actually putting that ingredient in there"...

What is wrong with people?!

How do you genetically test a vitamin?
    you can't.

It has no genes.

Rhetorical question.

I know that. You know that.
    Does the lurker know that?

Does the person who fears mercury in vaccines know that?
    You know I don't comment on much around here but reading this post makes me think yall are a bunch of bully's. Do you really need to mock this person message after message? Let it go.

This thread stopped being about the OP a long time ago. Now people are mocking alt-med in general.

For the record, I hate alt-med and will mock it at every turn. Not the people who are fleeced by it, but the people who do the fleecing. They absolutely deserve to be mocked.

We were just having this discussion at work because I read an article that the NY Attorney General has banned several vitamins and supplements that were genetically tested and found to have no trace of the substance they claimed to be in their product. We were wondering how the hell you make the decision that you are going to sell a product and then just say "and we can save money by not actually putting that ingredient in there"...

you can't.

It has no genes.

Rhetorical question.

I know that. You know that.
    Does the lurker know that?

Does the person who fears mercury in vaccines know that?

There's no hope for the person who fears mercury in vaccines anyway.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Did you know that high voltage is less fatal than low voltage? Low voltage shocks are most likely to cause defib of the heart, which is very difficult to correct since your heart is still beating, but not well enough to keep you alive. High volt shocks are more likely to temporarily stop your heart, at which point your heart is more likely to resume natural rhythm on it's own. Learned it in my one electrical engineering class and I was shocked (get it)! Note: I'm not talking lighting strikes here...

Did you know that voltage has nothing to do with electricity's ability to kill you?

You're talking about current. Over 0.1 amps is enough to kill you. Below that, and no matter how much or how little voltage you have, it will not kill you (unless you have an underlying medical condition).

Voltage and current are related though. Given the same resistance, low voltage will have high current. High voltage will have low current. Therefore, high voltage is less likely to kill you, if the resistance is low enough (again, given the same voltage, high resistance will have higher current, lower resistance will have lower current).

I = V*R

I = current
    V = Voltage
    R = resistance

I hope the bolded was the punchline, because the rest of your post is completely wrong. Ohm's law: V=IR, not I=VR.

Shhhh.... there may have been a reason I went the civil engineering route instead of electrical... shhhh... wait... did someone just save me there? Maybe! I remember all of one fact and I might not even have it right. *sigh*...

But I am right. I = V*R

V = I/R

From your link:
    TNoAMAx.png
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm just going to go ahead and post this for the lurkers, about the essential oils thing and doTERRA specifically.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/doterra-multilevel-marketing-of-essential-oils/

A family friend of ours has an infant son who has been having all sorts of allergic reactions and digestive issues. The mom is breastfeeding, and she wound up going on a pretty extreme elimination diet to try and alleviate the symptoms. After literally months of hives, allergy tests, gastric distress, and so on, they figured out it was basically because she was overdosing her son on essential oils (!!!!!). She had been applying them straight to her skin, ingesting them, and applying them to her son. I can't even explain to you the rage I feel about the local mommy cults that exist that promote such irresponsible and dangerous behavior.
    Dear FSM.

One wonders why if someone intends to use something as a medicine, why resort to a nostrum that is not held to the same rigorous standards that the rest of medical science is held to? On one hand is the corpus of medical science and on the other hand there are people who read the internet and play doctor.
    I'm wondering when "natural" started meaning "safe" and "better".

Hippies.

Actually its a simple emotional appeal - making an appeal to nature. My product is "natural" yours is not, it imparts some kind of judgement. When did it become a marketing practice? Probably sometime just before the DSHEA was passed thus deregulating that whole industry.

So hippies.
    Options

Dear FSM.

You referenced FSM. <3

:smiley: Ramen!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Aside from the "toxins" discussion, has anyone else noticed how much MFP changed in 4 years? Wonder if 4 years into the future people would look at our posts and smirk.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Aside from the "toxins" discussion, has anyone else noticed how much MFP changed in 4 years? Wonder if 4 years into the future people would look at our posts and smirk.

If you bump them, they will come...and smirk.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    how much do toxins weight?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I did notice. I do wonder how much things will change in the future.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I = V*R

I = current
    V = Voltage
    R = resistance

But I am right. I = V*R

V = I/R

Ummmm.... Nope. If so, then every other EE ever has been doing it wrong.
    Options
    My guess, there will still be the same old battles of science vs pseudo-science and SBM vs pseudo-medicine. Readers in the future will recognize much of this, that is, if the zombies don't get here first.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My guess, there will still be the same old battles of science vs pseudo-science and SBM vs pseudo-medicine. Readers in the future will recognize much of this, that is, if the zombies don't get here first.

And now zombies. I might be crushin on you a little. In a non-creepy way.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Chiming in to say these tests are conducted using reference standards where the composition of the purported vitamins and supplements are compared via a number of analytical tests to a certified reference material. If there are biologics in the supplement, then genetic comparison could be one of the analytical methods I suppose, but usually it is done via mass spectroscopy.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    vitamins have no genes, eh?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I = V*R

I = current
    V = Voltage
    R = resistance

But I am right. I = V*R

V = I/R

Ummmm.... Nope. If so, then every other EE ever has been doing it wrong.

Ugh. I'm writing the equation wrong, even after seeing it. This is what happens when you habitually go through MFP Forums when you are actually focusing on work.

giphy.gif
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Not nearly on the same level, but last summer a "natural" flea and tick spray made from essential oils was going around Facebook. Some of the oils they mentioned were toxic to dogs and/or cats. I usually ignore the derp but couldn't let that one pass without comment because of the risk to pets.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    vitamins have no genes, eh?
    Genes, you say?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMy9WeI_fw
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Wah...how do I get the Youtube window to automatically get embedded in my post?
This discussion has been closed.