Zombie survival club

Options

Replies

• Simone1970
    Options
    Ok, this is the BEST thread I've read on this site. Love it! :heart: My husband and I are HUGE fans of Zombie movies..:bigsmile: .......the Evil Dead Series (Ash and his boom-stick, gotta love it!), Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (the 2003 version), The Walking Dead AMC series, Resident Evil (Mila kicks butt!), and Zombieland.......you name it, I think we've seen all of the movies out there. The common themes we've noticed in these films is that the "survivors" all have a few things in common such as great cardio, quick thinking, strength and flexibility. So my recommendation is to definitely

1) Get a good cardio routine in place where you are definitely taxing your heart rate to burn fat and increase cardio strength.
    2) Put together a good weight lifting routine that focuses on the big muscles of the body such as...
    a) Day 1: Back and biceps (Pull downs, seated rows, t-rows, and bent over rows)
    b) Day 2: Legs (squats, hack squat, lunges, leg extensions, and leg curls)
    c) Day 3: Chest (bench, incline bench, flys)
    3) Participate in a yoga or pilates class for flexiblity at least once a week (days when you're not doing strength training)
    4) Reading a book! Or playing a game that tests your mental skills

I'm doing all of the above except the flexibility part will start so I can be ready at the end of 2011 for a Zombie attack! :glasses:

Simone
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Simone, the only thing I'd add is to make sure you have a few "GO" bags. Cars, house, work, have a pack ready to survive!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I think some marksmanship classes would help, too. If you can blow their heads off in one shot, you will save on bullets.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Simone, the only thing I'd add is to make sure you have a few "GO" bags. Cars, house, work, have a pack ready to survive!!

You can call them your "Winter Emergency Kits" for those folks who wouldn't understand zombie preparation.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

You can call them your "Winter Emergency Kits" for those folks who wouldn't understand zombie preparation.

People may not understand why you need a baseball bat or other easily attainable weapon in your "Winter Emergency Kit".
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

People may not understand why you need a baseball bat or other easily attainable weapon in your "Winter Emergency Kit".

Well, obviously you're afraid of an abominable snowman... or that serial killer from that movie. :laugh:

Or... you were thinking of joining the company softball team but never got around to it and forgot to take the bat out of your trunk... Or... you never know when you're going to need a crowbar... Or... that extra heavy duty lug wrench is totally more efficient than the wimpy one that came with the car.
  • smersh
    smersh Posts: 36
    Options
    Oh, hi. Baisleac there is my wife, and she says I'm somewhat responsible for her thinking on the zombie apocalypse. I'm Smersh, and I am training my body so that I can survive the zombie apocalypse.

Bicycles are a great way to outrun zombies.
  • hroush
    Options
    Oh, hi. Baisleac there is my wife, and she says I'm somewhat responsible for her thinking on the zombie apocalypse. I'm Smersh, and I am training my body so that I can survive the zombie apocalypse.

Bicycles are a great way to outrun zombies.

Welcome to the club! I completely agree with the bicycles. I'm fixing up my bikes for such a purpose.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Great motivation! I just joined a running class and the bad news is I'm barely able to outrun little old ladies with walkers! The good news is I'm finally ready to push through the embarrassment of being the fattest, slowest person in the class and just show up and make an effort for a change!

I'll be picturing a mob of zombies behind me in my next class and see if that gets me any further. Maybe I'll picture Brad Pitt in front of me too just for good measure. :wink:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Welcome to the club! I completely agree with the bicycles. I'm fixing up my bikes for such a purpose.

A couple weeks ago on Facebook, my daughter and I were having a discussion about the importance of cardio for when the zombie apocalypse goes down. A friend came along and said while we were arguing about running, she'd be riding away on her bike. Last night on shirt.woot a shirt came up that reminded me of the conversation so I bought it for my kid. http://sale.images.woot.com/Rule_No_1__Cardiof5zStandard.png
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yes but the bike can get damaged or inflated (is that the word?) and then what? In the middle of the city in the middle of the administrative area with a bunch of office zombies all around, where will you find a spare tire and time to fix it?
    HUH?

:D
  • EssJayEll
    Options
    I love this group. Zombies...are my favorite. I have even made myself Zombie Cupcake Hairclips. No, seriously. I'll get a picture up.

Can I be in your club? XD

My story is this: I'm 22, and I used this site to lose 60 lbs two summers ago...but that's still 30 lbs off of my goal weight. So now I'm back, to finish the job! Gotta get from 165 down to 135, which will put me in the target weight range for a gal of my height.

Today is Easter...so...I'm starting my diet TOMORROW. (Just a couple more pieces of candy...)
  • hroush
    Options
    Yes but the bike can get damaged or inflated (is that the word?) and then what? In the middle of the city in the middle of the administrative area with a bunch of office zombies all around, where will you find a spare tire and time to fix it?
    HUH?

:D

Well, should you get a flat tire (deflated), you have two options:
    1. continue riding on the flat tire, which is more important, your rim of your life?
    2. ditch the bike. You are now in the same position where you would have been before the bike, but probably a lot further away.

My only concern about riding the bike is wiping out or hitting something that could have been avoided by running, but I figure the payoff of being able to easily sustain 20 mph over struggling to do 10 mph would be more important then possibly hitting something.
  • hroush
    Options

A couple weeks ago on Facebook, my daughter and I were having a discussion about the importance of cardio for when the zombie apocalypse goes down. A friend came along and said while we were arguing about running, she'd be riding away on her bike. Last night on shirt.woot a shirt came up that reminded me of the conversation so I bought it for my kid. http://sale.images.woot.com/Rule_No_1__Cardiof5zStandard.png

That is an awesome shirt!
    I love this group. Zombies...are my favorite. I have even made myself Zombie Cupcake Hairclips. No, seriously. I'll get a picture up.

Can I be in your club? XD

My story is this: I'm 22, and I used this site to lose 60 lbs two summers ago...but that's still 30 lbs off of my goal weight. So now I'm back, to finish the job! Gotta get from 165 down to 135, which will put me in the target weight range for a gal of my height.

Today is Easter...so...I'm starting my diet TOMORROW. (Just a couple more pieces of candy...)

Welcome to the club! All new comers are welcome. Good luck on reaching your final goal.

Just remember, you are just going to have to burn off those few extra pieces of candy later.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    most relevant thread i've read all day! thanks for starting, black_swan!
  • knockemout
    Options
    I love this so much! Now I know where I'll get the motivation to run that extra kilometre from!!
  • hroush
    Options
    Saw this and knew I had to share. Who wants to help me build one? Found here - http://wins.failblog.org/2011/04/21/epic-win-photos-zombie-fortress-win/#comments

zombieappochouse.jpg
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Saw this and knew I had to share. Who wants to help me build one? Found here - http://wins.failblog.org/2011/04/21/epic-win-photos-zombie-fortress-win/#comments
    I really like that. I want one!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Awww I want one too hehe:)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I just came across the same house. Here is more information on it and more pictures.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/post/4956385434/the-first-zombie-proof-house