Looking for other P90 Master Series Support (not P90 or P90X

Options
Hello. I haven't been able to find a good thread on folks using Power 90 Master Series (not to be confused with Power 90, or P90X). This is the 6 dvd program by Tony Horton that is primarily used after doing P90 and before doing P90X (although some use it for maintenance after doing P90x). So I'd like to start a thread like I did when I started the Power 90.

I just completed Power 90 on April 3rd, 2011 and will be starting P90 MS on Monday April 11th.
I was very successful with that program, and I'm looking forward to this one too!

If you will be starting, already started, or completed Power 90 Master Series, please feel free to join the thread.
Let us support each other and compare notes as we take this next journey. Hopefully we can help each other out.

Mike
51 Year old Male
P90 Day 1: 1/4/2011: 244 lbs.
P90 Day 90: 4/3/2011: 215 lbs.

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on completin' 'Power90'

I completed my Power90 on March 5 2011

I'm in the middle of Week 5 of P90X LEAN...I didn't do the Master Series of Power90 - I jumped right in into P90X LEAN. But, the Master Series looks like alot of fun & different workouts than just doin' 1&2 or 3&4...I don't think you'll get to bored into doin' these exercises...

Best wishes on your next journey of 90 days... Mike :happy:
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'll see you in about 3 weeks!
  • kyboy
    kyboy Posts: 6
    Options
    I'll check in. I've been repeating week two for a while now!. Very hectic schedule at work for the moment leaves me a Masters "part-timer". So, perhaps checking here. will help challenge me to work it it more diligently. I'm part time through the week, but will sign off now and have a go at it!

I did P90, and had a great time, got stronger, straightened out my eating a bit. . I love Masters so far........just need to finish up the morning to night project at work to take full advantage. All about balance, right? Working on P-life!

I'll update my profile this week, so I'm not such a stranger.
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    OLP...thanks for the good wishes and best of luck to you with X.

Brent...we'll save a spot for you!

kyboy, welcome and thanks for checking in. The fact that you keep working at it means a lot. You know the drill from being successful with P90. Do the best you can until things calm down at work. I look forward to hear how your making out. Any pointers on week 1 for us about to get started?
  • kyboy
    kyboy Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Mike,

Pointers?! I usually just drag behind the wagon trying to stay in!. I started P90 with Brent a while back and have had a rough time with arm strength, but I can finally do pushups, etc.!!!

I made i through P90 in a bit longer than 90 days, and have been makeing various runs at P90Masters for a while........and getting stronger even part time, although not particularly losing weight, etc. But feeling much better. I still have a challenge with arms. I just do what I can, and some days are better than others, especially while part-timing. . Aiming to integrate exercise for life, and still learning to adjust the balance between work, play, nutrition, and exercise. Much improvement since starting. But, I do chase the wagon trying to hop back in at times!.

For Sweat 5-6 i imagine playing basketball for some of the routines.........and I thought it really helped turning the moves into a "game". I find it rather fun compared to Power 90. It's all difficult to start, as I'm usually slow on the uptake with developing nice form with the exercises. But, the usuals of "paying attention to form" and more-so showing up for workouts seem to help the most! :-)

I also started using a heart rate monitor consistently, and I like the positive and negative feedback it gives me about the workout. But, it can be done with or without the toys. I do best when I can bring "game mentality" to it. And speaking of brining it............I guess I should get underway this evening.

****y
    Uh oh, looks like MFP doesn't like my real name.
  • dee74
    dee74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congrats Mike on finishing P90. As you know I am already into P90 MS. Today was day 25. This is the recovery week. I do not know why they call it that. I am more sore this week from Tony kicking my butt then in all of P90. Don't get me wrong, it feels good to work hard but today I did Plyo legs and just call me Mr. Modified. Recovery week will be over Saturday and then it is a new 3 week sequence. By the next recovery week I will be kicking Tony around instead of teaching my wife new cuss words while I yell at the TV. She is right there with me working hard too. We are bringing it the best we can, my only advic e for everyone in recovery week is protect your knees, they will do a lot of work but if you are like me I have bad knees so I listen to Tony's suggestions and they work great. I will update more later but I told my wife I can not believe I am 25 days in and still getting my butt kicked.
  • MikeK51
    Options
    kyboy...thanks for the update. It sounds like the way you are approaching your new lifestyle is working great for you! You have the right attitude that we shouldn't be in a hurry, but do what is necessary to make this a regular habit that we can live with for a long time. I admire that your able to do that!

dee74...I forgot about you and doing P90 MS. Sorry! That is great that you are so far along. It would be great to continue to hear your feedback. Can you tell me what your schedule looks like? I know there aren't any former ones out there, and have found a few from Tony and others. Sometime this weekend I'll decide which workout I'm going to start with and post it. I only have about 10-15 more pounds to lose and really want to work on losing the last of my belly fat and start showing some muscles/tone.

I'm also considering starting this weekend instead of waiting till Monday.
  • dee74
    Options
    Hey Mike use this link for an excel file for an easy to print P90 MS calendar

http://www.getfitwithgrav.com/2009/12/29/power-90-master-series-printable-calendar/

Just put in your start date and it will calculate the rest. Use the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet to look at 4 different workouts.
  • MikeK51
    Options

http://www.getfitwithgrav.com/2009/12/29/power-90-master-series-printable-calendar/

Just put in your start date and it will calculate the rest. Use the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet to look at 4 different workouts.

dee, Thanks so much for this. I think I saw this a long time ago, but totally forgot about it. Awesome!
  • MikeK51
    Options
    Well.......I decided I needed to get started....... so

Day 1: Did Core Cardio and loved it!
    It'll take some time to master these workouts, but I felt pretty good about most of them.
  • dee74
    Options
    Hey Mike just out of curiosity which version are you trying this time the standard or the lean. I am trying the standard with the Fat Burn Express in the schedule. I did not do the core cardio until this week and it wasa good workout. I also think you will like cardio intervals, it is a great challenge but you feel great afterwards. Great job getting started right away. Keep up the good work.
  • MikeK51
    Options
    Hey Mike just out of curiosity which version are you trying this time the standard or the lean. I am trying the standard with the Fat Burn Express in the schedule. I did not do the core cardio until this week and it wasa good workout. I also think you will like cardio intervals, it is a great challenge but you feel great afterwards. Great job getting started right away. Keep up the good work.

dee...I'd really like to focus more on the standard, but I still need to lose another 10 pounds IMO and work more on getting rid of what's left of my mid-section. I have a few plans but haven't decided yet. I kinda decided late today to start MS and wanted to do something different than mostly swapping sweat 5-6 and cardio 5-6. I'll try and post some schedules I found on beachbody this weekend. Thanks!
  • dee74
    Options
    I totally understand the need for variety. In my opinion as long as we are moving we are doing good. I love seeing my muscles come back so I tried the standard. I was amazed that I could easily curl a 50 pound dumbbell 10 times at the store the other day and I have only been using a 10 pound dumbbell. I found a great set of heavier ones on craigslist I will start using next week. Keep up the great work.
  • MikeK51
    Options
    I found the following schedule posted on a thread I'm participating in on BB.
    It is a three days on and one off method.
    Tell me what you think.

Day 1: Core Cardio
    Day 2: Sculpt 5-6
    Day 3: Plyo/Legs
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Cardio 5-6
    Day 6: UML
    Day 7: Cardio Intervals

Day 8 is an off day, with day nine starting back up with Core Cardio.
  • MikeK51
    Options
    P90MS Day 3 - Plyo

OMG!!!! That was one of the hardest workouts ever!!! Lots of opportunity to grow!
  • MikeK51
    Options
    P90MS Day 5 - Sweat 5-6 done!

I liked it...actually thought it was pretty easy.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    <
    jealous
  • dee74
    Options
    Yesterday was Day 30 of the P90 MS for me. In 30 days I have lost 12.5 pounds and 3 inches off my waist. I knew my pants were getting really loose but I was amazed at the 3 inches I even measured again today to make sure. I believe the "recovery" week on the standard schedule burned 2 of those inches off, I still am puzzled as to why they call it recovery. I am also seeing some great increase in muscle definition especially in my legs and upper arms. So far my favorite workouts are Cardio Intervals, Sculpt 5-6, and Sweat 5-6. The hardest workouts for me are Plyo Legs and Core Cardio but I am gaining, I did Plyo legs this morning and I did not have to modify as much this time. I am just a big dude that has bad knees and a few leg surgeries in the past, the good thing is there are some GREAT modifications that let you get a great workout. My next goal is to get a heart rate monitor. I would like to know how many calories I am really burning. I just put down 300 everyday but for a guy my size I am thinking it is more calories because as many of you I am giving this 110%. Keep up the good work everybody.
  • MikeK51
    Options

dee,
    Are you following the schedule on the calendar?
  • dee74
    Options

dee,
    Are you following the schedule on the calendar?
    [/quote

Yes Mike I am on Week 5 of the standard with the FBE modification. Did UML this morning still a little sore from Plyo yesterday.]