Quitting Smoking and Dieting Support

Options
Tomorrow is my 100th day of MFP, and I've decided to also make it my official Quit Smoking Day! :bigsmile: I'm a little nervous and thought it would be a good idea to try to get a group going on here.

I've been smoking for about 9 years, and I go through at least 5 cigarettes a day, but sometimes I can go over half a pack. I smoked in high school and college and with my friends after that. It was always fun for me, and pretty much always a social thing. Now that I've grown up a little, it's just an unhealthy addiction. I don't go out to places where I can smoke anymore, or have a job where I can take a bunch of cigarette breaks with my co-workers. Now I usually find myself smoking alone, in the car or out my bathroom window. It's not fun anymore, it's just smelly, dirty, ashy, and i've set several things on fire on many different occasions :embarassed:

The main part of my diet is "clean eating" or getting as close to it as possible. I'm working so hard to be healthy and spending all this money on stuff like goji berries and quinoa and organic natural food because it's so good for you....but then i go and spend $10 on cigarettes and ruin the whole thing :frown:

I just got my e-cigarettes in the mail a few days ago and have been using them instead of regular cigarettes as much as i can. Yesterday I only smoked 2 cigarettes even though I allowed myself 3. I had a craving this morning but killed it with an e-cig :smokin: i might have a real one later....but I haven't quite decided when my official "LAST CIGARETTE" will be...maybe midnight?

Anyway, I hope people are willing to share their stories and experiences on here. Knowing people are going through the same thing will definitely be a big help :smile:

Replies

• donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am trying to quit too! I have set my quit day for my birthday which is May 8th. I know it will be very difficult as I have been smoking for 24 years now but I definitely feel like I am ready to do it this time. I read about the e-cigs and they sound like they work really well, but I think I'm going to try it without first and see how it goes.
    I've just started my weight loss journey too so I know I will need all the support I can get!

~Donna
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello - I've been a non-smoker for 3+ years! yeah for me.. I used the patch, but it was still very difficult. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far! My favorite was after about 4 months of not smoking, I had realized that I hadn't had one nigotine urge at all (for that day). Once in a great while I will get the urge, but they are easily controllable and they don't last. Quite an accomplishment from constantly thinking about it and working on overcoming the urge to have one. Good luck! My arobic workouts are awesome now!!!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for 115 days (as of tomorrow). I have dropped 30 lbs so far. I also tried to give up smoking back in February, to no avail. I found that I was compensating food for cigarettes and didn't want to gain any weight. But I have to agree with you, its a dirty, stinky, smelly habit that I need to get rid of. Was thinking about trying again. Feel free to add me if you'd like, as I would like to keep up with your progress and maybe get some motivation from you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the lie that you gain weight if you quit smoking. The main problem is that people generally replace one bad habit (smoking) with another one (eating unhealthy).. I quit smoking last year and have not put one of those filthy death sticks in my mouth in 9 months.. At first I started out 'cutting back'.. Let me tell you; that does not work.

You need a good support system, will power, and a reason to quit.. I suggest writing down all the cons of smoking (there are no pros). I always thought that even after I quit, I would be the one who would sneak a cigarette when I was drinking, or around friends who smoked- but no, that doesn't work either.. It is an all or nothing battle, and you have to be strong.. You really CAN do it!

What worked best for me was (I know it sounds corny but..) using my mind to convince myself that smoking a cigarette would make me physically ill.. Your mind can tell your body incredible things. I would have a smoke and think about how sick it was making me.. By the time I decided to have my last cigarette, I was no longer enjoying the feeling of nicotine coursing through me..

Bottom line, you cannot live a healthy clean life while smoking. It is dirty, disgusting, and like it or not, it changes people's opinions on you... (I would always hear, "aww, YOU smoke? You don't look like a smoker.." in a disappointed voice.. I HATED THAT)

Good luck honey.. you can do it! If you need support, add me as a friend :)
  • tiggr62
    tiggr62 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First of all let me say WOO HOO for you on your decision to quit smoking. My husband, daughter and I all quit together in April of 2010. We all used Chantix. I feel so much better since I quit but do have an urge every now and then. I have 2 friends that quit using the E Cigarettes. Continued success on your not smoking and and healthy life style.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :) i really hope it doesn't mess with my diet. i figured since i'm 100 days in, that i should hopefully know what i'm doing by now, and that i can control the eating while i'm quitting. i'll let you know how i do tomorrow on my FIRST DAY WITHOUT SMOKING!!! :)
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I'm in....hard time going cold turkey, but i've been up since 4am and it's now noon and i've only had 3 smokes today. I'm telling myself I'm a non-smoker...don't need it, don't want it, can't breathe!!!

lets do this, we can, we can do anything we put our minds to!
  • nuttylou
    nuttylou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking in December cold turkey. I Have a stressful lifestyle (5 children & studying a full time midwifery degree!) and Id like to wish you every success in giving up!

The hardest part was the first month and I still got the odd craving until around a month ago and now I do not even consider it an issue, it is as though I have never smoked before.

I smoked 20 cigarettes a day for over 15 years and I HATED the smell on my long hair and clothes, so my motivator was to smell nice! I ate mints, brushed my teeth regular & showered twice a day to help me get through.

I have found I want to be healthier since Ive given up, joining the gym & healthy eating aswell.... now all I have to do is let my other half see the light!!!

You can do it!!! Be prepared and make sure you are really wanting it and you will succeed, Good luck xxx
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    To Craft338 - I know that you already know my story but perhaps this is a good time as any to repeat it for others who need a little inspiration to stop smoking so here it goes again...

*****************************************************************************************************************

Topic: Quitting smoking and dieting Mon 04/11/11 05:40 PM

I used to hate it when ex smokers would lecture or warn me about smoking. Hell, nothings going to happen to me.

Ok - let me put it to you this way - diet and look great and smoke the cigs - or diet and look great and no cigs. I am currently lugging around a 15 lb oxygen tank with a plastic tube stuck up my nostrils, most likely for the rest of my life, and that my dear doesn't look good. Better just stop now and show those cigs that you are stronger than them. They will and believe me, perhaps not now, but they will eventually ruin yr life later.

I too like everyone else tried to quit smoking w/o success, tried pills, patches, hypnosis and nothing worked. I really needed my mouth stapled closed. Finally I tried Chantix and it worked (totally wierd dreams) but then my Dad got sick suddenly & I spent everyday & moment possible from July 5th until August 25th by his side until he died. Believe me, I was smoking the entire time my Dad was ill and smoking more than ever. After he passed away I would smoke the usual at work but at night I would go out on my deck and chain smoke and would talk to my Dad in the heavens. I wasn't feeling well as I was already diagonosed with Emphysema but that didn't matter. Each cigarette, to me, was my time alone with myself to be alone and think. Not that I was thinking about the actual act of smoking, just smoking and thinking. Well this went on and on thru the winter and I would sometimes feel dizzy when walking back into the house, but it didn't matter. Spring came and so did the pollen. On April 14th (my wedding anniversary) I went out after lunch at work and had gone outside for my usual cigarettes but started coughing and choking like a was kid smoking for the very first time. I went back to my desk and literally choked until 5pm and I know this was annoying some people but others were truly concerned. I thought it was just the pollen. Went home driving and choking (not an easy task to do) and suddenly seemed to stop choking for a while which made me think that it was definitely the pollen around my job and there different kinds of trees by my house and I was ok now. So I went out on the deck and lit one up and started to choke. Didn't feel well & called my husband to say I couldn't celebrate our anniversary like we had planned. I went to bed with about 6 pillows to support me bcuz I couldn't lay down from choking. I spent the night like that - texted myself out of work the next morning and my husband insisted that I go to the hospital. Being pig headed I argued and then 3 hrs later said I would go but needed to take a shower first - vanity b4 health. Well, I didn't know that my oxygen level was basically depleted and when I stepped into the nice hot shower I suffocated - or respirtory failure as the paperwork read. The most horrible feeling ever - I grabbed the shower curtain and walls. Lucky for me my husband and daughter were right there bcuz they knew how bad I was (my son stayed in another room) - I literally watched as they faded from my sight. Next thing I know I am in the ER with tubes down my throat, IV's in both arms like I am was pincushion. I spent 14 days in that hospital and 2 months later another 5 days. I have Emphysema and COPD. My lungs are at 49% total capacity. I cannot get better but if I continue all my meds, breathing treatments, inhalers, oxygen 24/7 I may maintain my current status or may not. But let me tell you...Spring - pollen kills me - Summer heat and humidity - not a good mixture for me - Fall - pollen once again - Winter - cold air takes the wind right out of my lungs that actually hurts.

So, please do yourself a huge favor now and get a prescription for a pill, patch or whatever. Just stop and don't be so stupid as I was - I wish I could have suffocated years ago and perhaps I wouldn't be in this situation today. It is not a good place to be. I still miss my Dad every single day - still go to pick up the phone to call him and realize that he's gone. The cigarettes weren't going to bring my Dad back to me. The cigarettes aren't going to take away any sadness I feel. The cigarettes aren't going to make any problems go away. Smokers will smoke bcuz we are happy, sad, nervous, excited - pls just stop bcuz they will hurt you.
  • craft338
    Options
    @ Cmuchoa - thank you SO much for sharing your story on here!! i read it last week and definitely helped me make the decision to make my 100th day my quit day.

i have 3 cigarettes left in my last pack. then tonight after midnight....NO MORE!!
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That is great that you have made the decision as that is the first step!

Just remeber that you are a strong person who is taking control of YOUR HEALTH and you will be so happy that you did - believe me when I say that - it feels great to wake up in the morning and not feel like an army marched thru your mouth while you slept.
    Everything smells and tastes better as well !

Take care of yourself as you are making one of the best choices that will have a huge affect on the rest of your life!
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this!! I was just going to post something, lol. Today is my 105th day on MFP. I knew I couldn't do the diet thing & stop smoking all at once. But now...I feel I'm ready.

I'm tired of the non-improving stamina when I exercise. What's the point if I cannot improve & I know I could've lost more weight by now. I just don't have the energy or lung capacity to push myself any harder. I know it's because of the smoking. That is my biggest reason for wanting to quit. The others are the usuals - long term health, money, smell & I need to set a good example for my kids.

I quit for 4 yrs, but I only quit because I was pregnant. I can't say I really wanted to. Besides the nicotine addiction, I enjoy it. I feel my addiction is 30% nicotine & 70% mental/behavioral. My biggest fears in quitting: my husband smokes (2pks a day) & ALL of our friends (which we see on a weekly basis) smoke. The e-cigs just aren't the same to me. Helps w/the nicotine, but not much else. Although, I think I will have to use them at first in the quitting process.

Please friend me if you want! Any of you that want to quit! I need the support big time & haven't set a stopping day yet. I'm trying to focus on a plan of action & gearing myself up to do it!
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    I also quit .. and still having a tough time with it ... miss my smoking friends but I cannot be aorund them without wanting one ...
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options
    @ Cmuchoa - I thank you also for your story! Even though the thought of long term health problems isn't a concern right now (as it wasn't for you at the time), I know it is a reality & we all need to try & prevent it. Appreciate you sharing!
  • nuttylou
    Options
    You can all do it, I did and never believed I would!!!

My partner also smokes 20 a day and alot of my friends smoke- when they smoke around me it makes me even more proud to be a non-smoker & not smell of *kitten*. In fact I used to smell the ashtray when I really had a craving- that was usually enough to put me off.

All you need is willpower & motivation to get through the hard bit.. Start out looking at yourself as a non smoker. Good luck. xx
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I didn't go cold turkey today...6 cigs on the day (from a pack and a half, I'm saying it's an improvement). I can relate to everyone's stories...the lack of lung capacity to workout harder than I am right now is such a big deal for me. Most of my friends are non-smokers, and I can't stand smelling it on myself, and I would much rather put the 7+ dollars a day towards a motorcycle!
    Tomorrow I will smoke 5 or less.
    Good news is, I did work out a bit longer today than usual, and I didn't eat eat eat...

Thank you all for your stories and support...
    I am a non-smoker in the making...I won't buy another pack of cigarettes.....
  • craft338
    Options
    I didn't go cold turkey today...6 cigs on the day (from a pack and a half, I'm saying it's an improvement). I can relate to everyone's stories...the lack of lung capacity to workout harder than I am right now is such a big deal for me. Most of my friends are non-smokers, and I can't stand smelling it on myself, and I would much rather put the 7+ dollars a day towards a motorcycle!
    Tomorrow I will smoke 5 or less.
    Good news is, I did work out a bit longer today than usual, and I didn't eat eat eat...

Thank you all for your stories and support...
    I am a non-smoker in the making...I won't buy another pack of cigarettes.....

that's awesome! :) i only had 3 so far today and i have one left for my LAST CIGARETTE before midnight. hopefully the fact that tomorrow is my 100th day (and maybe a little weight loss ::crossed fingers::) will motivate me to NOT buy another pack EVER!! the e-cig is definitely helping with the in between cravings, but i'll post on here tomorrow to let you know how i'm doing. good luck on smoking 5 or less tomorrow!!
  • caro83
    caro83 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi all,

I quit smoking almost 8 months ago. Its wasn't easy and I'm afraid to say I did gain weight. I can't say I increased my food intake too much but my metabolism did slow down. I've gained over 2 stone in total but I think I've peaked. I was originally very thin so I could afford the weight gain but I was shocked to see the scales jump so much in so little time.
    They are starting to go back down slowly in the right direction so hopefully within the year I'll be back to were I want to be :happy:

Please don't not quit due to fear of gaining weight. Your metabolism will get back to normal after a while. I'm only 27 and was diagnosed with lung and lymphnode sarcodosis around 5 years ago. I attempted and failed on numerous occasions to give the cigarettes up but only this time did it work. Now that I have quit the pulmonary infiltrates from the sarcoid have subsided and I'm now off my medication. Every health problem I had I now believe was down to smoking and stress. I can run now where I could barely climb a flight of stairs before.

I read allen carrs book and it helped me a lot but you really need to want to give up and believe that its only an addiction and you don't really like them. They smell and taste bad and they are killing you.

Best off luck.

Caro xx
  • craft338
    Options
    20 minutes after you quit smoking, your blood pressure has already decreased, your pulse rate has dropped and the blood temperature of your hands and feet has increased.

2 hours after quitting, you have significantly reduced the nicotine in your system.

8 hours after quitting, the level of carbon monoxide in your blood drops as the oxygen increases to the normal level of a non-smoker. This is one of the best advantages of quitting smoking, as carbon monoxide robs your muscles, brain and tissues of oxygen.

At 24 hours, your chance of a heart attack has already decreased.

At 48 hours. These will make you smile... a couple of nice little health benefits of quitting smoking are that you will find your sense of smell improved, and as those sensitive nerve endings start regrowing, your taste buds will come alive again.

In 2 to 4 days, all nicotine by-products have gone from your body. That means there is no physical addictive substance left to niggle your brain.

Between 2 to 9 weeks, your circulation improves, walking and exercise will become easier and your lung function increases.

By 3 months, your fertility improves. This is an oft overlooked reason to quit smoking. Men's quality and density of sperm increases and women's chances of conceiving are increased, with less likelihood of miscarriage, or giving birth to babies with higher risks of stillbirth, cot death, premature or low birth weight and lifelong afflictions.

By now, the tar stains on your fingers and teeth will be eliminated.

Within the first 9 months, you will find that you no longer suffer from shortness of breath, and coughing, sinus congestion or fatigue will be rapidly improved.

By 1 year your risk of coronary heart disease is already half that of a smoker!

Also by now, due to increased oxygen, you will have noticeable improvement in your skin and gums. The oxygen goes towards repairing dry skin and premature wrinkles.

After 5 years the risk of lung cancer drops by half. Also your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas rapidly decreases. And every day thereafter these lifesaving health benefits of quitting smoking increase.

In 5 to 15 years, you will have no higher risk of stroke than that of people who have never smoked!

By 10 years, your chances of coronary heart disease will be virtually the same as that of people who have never smoked. In fact your risk of an early death from all causes virtually disappears and returns to that of people who have never smoked.

Did you know that only 12% of smokers can expect to live to 85, as compared to 69% of non-smokers? Why risk losing even one year of life or being one of the statistical average of smokers and lose 10 years? Or 25 years? Why risk an average of 12 years disability before you die?

If you quit before age 35 your risk is reduced by a dramatic 90% or more, and even if you're over 65 and you quit, your quality of life and life expectancy is significantly increased.

*got this from http://www.quitguide.com/benefits-of-quitting-smoking.html
  • nuttylou
    Options
    How have you guys got on today?? x