Quitting Smoking and Dieting Support

Options

Replies

• Lttlbird
    Lttlbird Posts: 51
    Options
    Hope all of you new quitters are still doing well. It will get easier. And for those of you still considering being a quitter, do it when you're ready. Pick a date, tell everyone you know and do it.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I bought the Allen Carr book about 3 years ago thinking "what will it hurt, it's not like it's going to make me smoke more" I've made it through the first chapter (where I feel like it's trying to sell me the book that I already bought) about 3 times. I'm going to give that one another go.

DH thinks I have been brainwashed by the book because I have no "taste" for smokes anymore. :laugh: (Yep, I tried again last night). I still have moments where I WANT one and we had a celebration requiring drinks last night so I thought I would have just one but could not choke it down. Not sure what it is but I'm glad for it, makes it so much easier. I am still missing the lifestyle triggers like getting in the car and after lunch but it is only momentary.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info mcdebbie. That's encouraging, I'll keep reading. On Chapter 8 now. Congratulations!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    day 95 for me!! thanks for everyone's support and for sharing your stories on here!! it has been a HUGE help!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    Yay on 95!!! So Thursday will be the big 100, we will all have to remember to come here and celebrate.

Had a bad craving after a big pizza lunch today, almost lit up when we got home but I knew it would taste and smell terrible. When we were in the grocery store I could smell the people who smoked around me - pheww! I hope I do not become one of those disgusting ex smoker people. :laugh: Like Allan Carr says, you just have to have pity for them because they are still trapped.
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @Craft338, Good for you for your first couple days, they are tough but you can do this! I will be quit 6 months on 8/10/11, it is my 8th quit of a life time, I consider it to be my final quit! In this case being a quitter is being a winner!! I still have cravings, but I feel so much better, I can't jeopardize that!
    I started smoking when I was 15 years old, I'm now 54. I don't have emphysema but I do now have COPD in the form of asthma and bronchitis. I had gotten to the point of coughing fits with every other butt. Honestly, I got scared about how close to emphysema I really am. I lost an uncle to it and numerous patients, it literally suffocates us. I want to be here for my kids and grandkids, even great grandkids that are no where close yet!!
    I did gain weight. Not because I quit smoking but because I stuffed my face with anything I wanted and became sedentary!!! Now I am here among all these amazing people learning to make healthier choices. Yes, sometimes I "fall off the wagon" but I've learned it isn't an end all; just climb back on and keep on going. You (we) CAN do this!!

@Cmuchoa, Thank you so very much for sharing your story with us. You my lady, are such an inspiration to us all! God bless!

I feel we can never have too many friends, too much support. Feel free to add me!!!
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Day 1 in progress..... my boss could send me over the edge but luckily I did not bring any smokes to work.

You can do this!! It does get easier. Add me if you'd like. I've been quit for 6 months and am a couple months old her on MFP.
    Susie
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    Still hanging in there. The weekend was harder because I wasn't at work. Not that that made me all excited to go to work today. :bigsmile:
  • craft338
    Options
    yup, thursday will be my 200th day of MFP and my 100th day of not smoking and i'm gonna TRY to reach 70 lbs lost by then! hopefully i'll have a nice day! i'm more excited for that day than i am my birthday next month LOL a friend of mine said he would take me out for indian food to celebrate! :bigsmile: i'm still gonna try to order something healthy, but i'm thinking i might go CRAZY and get a drink! :noway:

hmmm, 100 days.....that sounds like a good BLOG TITLE TO ME!!!!! ;)
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Congrats Craft338!
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    Happy 100th day of no smoking and 200th day of MFP AND meeting the 70 pound mark!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • craft338
    Options
    Happy 100th day of no smoking and 200th day of MFP AND meeting the 70 pound mark!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

THANK YOU!!! yeah, it's a good day for me so far (knock on wood)

i gotta go to work now, but i'll be back later!

good job everyone, you're all doing so awesome!!! =)
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked this thread in a long time. I am so glad to see it remains very active. I am now 98 days smoke free!
  • craft338
    Options
    how's everybody doing??

just checking in! i hope you guys are all staying strong!!

good luck!
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Again, congratulations to all of you quitters! You've been very inspiring!

The boyfriend and I set a quit date for a week from tomorrow (Aug 23). And.... now that I'm telling you all it seems very real (and scary). It was much easier to put it on the calendar on my phone :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody. I wanted to wait until today...

Few weeks ago, I went camping with the boys. Lots of drinking and smoking going on. I had several temptations through the saturday night (when there was more alcohol involved) Several times, I had cigarettes in front of me. I even had one outside of the pack, sitting on a cooler, and thought how easy it would be to walk off into the woods, light that cigarette, and nobody would know.

I held my ground, and now I can say that.

My name is Peter, and I WAS a nicotine addict.
    I have stopped nicotine for 6 months, 19 hours, 19 minutes and 56 seconds (181 days).

I've not smoked 4545 death sticks, and saved $1,648.54.
    I've saved 15 days, 18 hours and 45 minutes of my life.
  • craft338
    Options
    Good morning everybody. I wanted to wait until today...

Few weeks ago, I went camping with the boys. Lots of drinking and smoking going on. I had several temptations through the saturday night (when there was more alcohol involved) Several times, I had cigarettes in front of me. I even had one outside of the pack, sitting on a cooler, and thought how easy it would be to walk off into the woods, light that cigarette, and nobody would know.

I held my ground, and now I can say that.

My name is Peter, and I WAS a nicotine addict.
    I have stopped nicotine for 6 months, 19 hours, 19 minutes and 56 seconds (181 days).

I've not smoked 4545 death sticks, and saved $1,648.54.
    I've saved 15 days, 18 hours and 45 minutes of my life.

that's AWESOME!!! i just started clapping in the office. no joke! that's REALLY amazing!!

congratulations on hitting 6 months!! and major props for not smoking during that camping trip!
  • smoochiepink
    smoochiepink Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i quit 2 days ago! am now crawling up the walls!!!!!
  • craft338
    Options
    day 106 for me!! =)

congratulations on making the decision to quit!! the first 3 days are the hardest, and you're gonna feel great after "hell week" is over!! stay strong and think of how amazing you're gonna feel once all the nicotine is out of your system! tell the cravings to kiss your you know what!

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Take it out on some gum or some straws. LOL
    Seriously.
    My first week I sucked air through a straw (like it was a cigarette), and chewed on straws.
    Drink lots of water, and chew gum.
    It gets easier.