I have to ask, how do you feel about the Osama news??

Options

Replies

• 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    *goes back to corner*

Do you have cookies there? I want a cookie.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    lots. they keep me from speaking. *shares cookies*
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am appalled that someone, actually more than one has used an image of Anne Frank as some sort of joke in this thread.

i am also appalled at this act and what it will lead the world into, this man, if he was killed, should never have been killed but captured and brought to justice in a civilised way, this dancing in the streets appears no different on television than that which occurs at the death of a US/UK/CANADIAN etc serviceman. this is not how a civilised nation should deal with terrorists, because after all, one nations terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
  • 1234lbsgone
    Options
    Thanks. I like cookies.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    *shoves about 5 cookies and a few marshmallows into my mouth*
    maybe now I wont be able to say anything.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have previously responded with my opinion earlier in this thread, but I wanted to make another comment.

My 8 year old son asked me a question last night that I had a hard time answering. Not because I didn't know the answer but because I myself have conflict. He is very interested in everything that is happening (he is always interested in world events and watches CNN - so not kidding). So he asks me, Mom, didn't we just do what you teach Wyatt and I not to do? I asked him what he meant. His answer? Well, you taught us that when someone hurts us not to seek them out to hurt them because that is revenge, isn't that what we just did to Osama?

I explained to him that yes, in ways it was revenge but that we were also trying to stop someone who has hurt and will continue to hurt many people, including women and children. Although he was not yet born when 9/11 happened he knows all about it and has seen documentaries. I explained that Osama was the person who masterminded those attacks and that he took responsibility for it. I talked about how OBL did not attack a military instillation or base, he attacked the American people. Innocent civilians who were not part of any wars.

I did my best to comfort him by saying that the rejoicing that is being done is not in the death of this man, but in the comfort that many lives will be saved. He did ask if his followers were going to now seek their revenge. I told him yes, it was quite possible. But that we had to trust our government and military to protect us.

I was saddened as my little boy went up to bed with this weighing so heavily on his heart. When I was 8 my biggest worry was who I would play with the next day and here is my son feeling heartache over the atrocities that are going on in this world.

This morning he said he had a dream that every one decided to agree to disagree so that there would be no more fighting and that all the soldiers can come home to their families. I told him that was a beautiful dream and that I hoped one day it would come true.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

LIES!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options

LIES!

Don't poke the Jovi-Bear!!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

LIES!

Don't poke the Jovi-Bear!!

Like she needs poking.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    *chews marshmallows quietly*

*goes off to download more Portal ringtones*
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    For those military moms, dads, wives, sisters (etc) that have followed this thread....The ones that oppose my being an "authority figure (LOL)can skip to the next thread or comment....

Want to let you know that I finally talked with my son for the first time since the OBL thing took place. His attitude was good and the ships morale is high. They are not allowed to speak of the events that have taken place, but be rest assured that they are all bursting to tell their version of this history making event when the time comes.

I really thought about this thread and the comments made here all day today. And maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think anyone on this thread was directly bashing our troops, right? I mean even people without any military background or experiences know that our troops are following orders, right? Just want to say that I feel I overreacted at the thought that people on this thread were trashing our fine men and women of the US military. But I read back through alot of the posts and didn't see direct attacks toward them. Maybe I'm wrong (and PLEASE correct me if I am).

Now having said that, my kid was only 12 when 9/11/2001 happened. He watched people throwing themselves out of buildings to escape fire. He had questions too. We all watched as our fellow Americans were burned alive and crushed under mountains of rubble. That, I'm sure, no one can dispute. Now put yourself in the place of a loved one who watched this tragedy unfold and your family member or friend die on national TV at the hands of the mastermind OBL. If it were your family member - your child, your husband, wife, best friend....how would you feel 10 years later when the murderer of someone you love is caught and killed? You cannot make me believe that you wouldn't rejoice in the justice. I didn't dance in the street, but I didn't mourn his death. I was glad. In my opinion, anyone who would mourn OBL should be tried for treason against this country. Again, just my opinion. But would I be MORE of an authority figure if I told you that my birth father was in tower 1? Just wondering.

Finally, what I DID cry over today was this...I cried at the sound of my kids voice. A very tired, strained voice. I also cried when I read a FB post from a fellow Navy mom who said there are Americans who posted threats on her wall instead of praise. And I cried when a second Navy mom I know scraped the "USS Carl Vinson" and "Proud of my Sailor" stickers on her car because she is afraid of being killed by a terrorist domestic or foreign. If we fear them, they win. If we respect them, they grow.
  • 1234lbsgone
    Options
    For those military moms, dads, wives, sisters (etc) that have followed this thread....The ones that oppose my being an "authority figure (LOL)can skip to the next thread or comment....

Want to let you know that I finally talked with my son for the first time since the OBL thing took place. His attitude was good and the ships morale is high. They are not allowed to speak of the events that have taken place, but be rest assured that they are all bursting to tell their version of this history making event when the time comes.

I really thought about this thread and the comments made here all day today. And maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think anyone on this thread was directly bashing our troops, right? I mean even people without any military background or experiences know that our troops are following orders, right? Just want to say that I feel I overreacted at the thought that people on this thread were trashing our fine men and women of the US military. But I read back through alot of the posts and didn't see direct attacks toward them. Maybe I'm wrong (and PLEASE correct me if I am).

Now having said that, my kid was only 12 when 9/11/2001 happened. He watched people throwing themselves out of buildings to escape fire. He had questions too. We all watched as our fellow Americans were burned alive and crushed under mountains of rubble. That, I'm sure, no one can dispute. Now put yourself in the place of a loved one who watched this tragedy unfold and your family member or friend die on national TV at the hands of the mastermind OBL. If it were your family member - your child, your husband, wife, best friend....how would you feel 10 years later when the murderer of someone you love is caught and killed? You cannot make me believe that you wouldn't rejoice in the justice. I didn't dance in the street, but I didn't mourn his death. I was glad. In my opinion, anyone who would mourn OBL should be tried for treason against this country. Again, just my opinion. But would I be MORE of an authority figure if I told you that my birth father was in tower 1? Just wondering.

Finally, what I DID cry over today was this...I cried at the sound of my kids voice. A very tired, strained voice. I also cried when I read a FB post from a fellow Navy mom who said there are Americans who posted threats on her wall instead of praise. And I cried when a second Navy mom I know scraped the "USS Carl Vinson" and "Proud of my Sailor" stickers on her car because she is afraid of being killed by a terrorist domestic or foreign. If we fear them, they win. If we respect them, they grow.

I'm glad you were able to speak to your son. You must be so relieved.

I don't think anyone was bashing the military at all. We are all in disagreement about the aftermath of this whole thing. I totally get that people want to see justice done. I'm relieved that the search for him is over. But I think where the disagreement is coming in is because people are quick to say the same things that would piss us off as Americans. And for some reason we seem to think it's ok for us to do it, but god forbid anyone talk trash about America. People are dancing in the streets and it is sick, imo. Just because he was found, doesn't mean the war is over and everyone can come home now.

Everyone knows that they are just following orders. Nobody is sad that he is gone. It had to be done. But that is no reason to celebrate. That is all I was ever trying to say at least.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    *Reading thread posts...*

/wrists
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

When you get a chance thank your son for me.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I am appalled that someone, actually more than one has used an image of Anne Frank as some sort of joke in this thread.

i am also appalled at this act and what it will lead the world into, this man, if he was killed, should never have been killed but captured and brought to justice in a civilised way, this dancing in the streets appears no different on television than that which occurs at the death of a US/UK/CANADIAN etc serviceman. this is not how a civilised nation should deal with terrorists, because after all, one nations terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

"hangs head in disgust" I guess Hitler was just a freedom fighter? What is appalling is how anyone could give a rats fat backside about this POS or what anyone thinks about us for doing for killng him. A civilisied nation,,,, being civilised does not mean bending over and taking it up the shorts, it means being strong and willing to confront your enemies, wherever and whenever you find them. And if someone finds a bit of joy over the killing of a mass murderer who the hell are you to stick your nose in the air in rebuke?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think that Bush and his admin deserve to be recognized for this. Some people seem to think that Osama didn't have an effect on his followers they are wrong. He was still giving orders. Also the Pakistan govt should be under investigation for allowing him to hide there. No one can say they didn't know it was him when the community he lived in was for retired officers of the Pakistan army. Cmon this is huge for Americans. I dont see a threat considering that Al Qeada was falling apart before his death.

8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

get_over_it.jpg

it was a joke. good lawd.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    I think that Bush and his admin deserve to be recognized for this. Some people seem to think that Osama didn't have an effect on his followers they are wrong. He was still giving orders. Also the Pakistan govt should be under investigation for allowing him to hide there. No one can say they didn't know it was him when the community he lived in was for retired officers of the Pakistan army. Cmon this is huge for Americans. I dont see a threat considering that Al Qeada was falling apart before his death.

8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg
    thumbs-up.jpg
  • ashkaps
    ashkaps Posts: 32
    Options
    Obviously it's good news that he's gone and the world will be a better place without him. I am not for one second forgetting those killed in 9/11 one of the worst tragedies that I have witnessed to date, but please do not forget those who were/are killed in Iraq, Afghanistan even those in Palestine and Kashmir and all over the world. Also, those wishing death upon his family should do some research and realise that Bin Laden's own obsession with bringing down the West blighted his own family - a lot of his family members cut ties with him including sons and wives.

I'm just surprised that it actually took this long to find him. Granted the conspiracy theorists will be out with 'where are the photos, why was he not captured and put on trial (apart from the fact that he had close links with the CIA during the Soviet occuptaion of Afghanistan- possibly opening up a can of worms), and why was no country willing to claim his body?' It bears similar resemblence to that of Saddam Hussein's who also could have talked about his close friendship with Donald Rumsfeld, or the US military assistance he received when he invaded Iran in 1980. But can you really blame them? I think if anything Obama has as much to answer for as do the Pakistani authorities.

Also, the uprising in the Middle East in the past months practically ensured that Al-Qaeda was politically/ideologically dead - Osama was dead before all this happened.

Don't get me wrong I'm pleased Osama is dead and wish all the soldiers, British and American, safety and health in what will be an extremely tough and tense time.
  • agent300
    agent300 Posts: 73
    Options
    i honestly hope everyone took a piss on his body before they dumped it. i cant believe anyone can sit here and act like we shouldnt rejoice or that we should have just captured him and handled it in "a civil manner." that piece of garbage is responsible for the deaths of thousands. this was the absolute only option. it sends a message to everyone else who might think to try to **** with the united states of america.
This discussion has been closed.