I have to ask, how do you feel about the Osama news??

Options

Replies

• Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    You're Welcome.

I'm quite American. I overeat, my ego is delicate and my self esteem low, I'm lazy, I think video games are a high form of entertainment, I watch cartoons, I eat hot dogs, I went to public school and learned inaccurate world history, I dont know nearly half as much as most people around the world, I always think I'm right, and I complain about things that some people would kill to have as their biggest problem. So, yea, gotta say I'm pretty American.

What rule did I break exactly? I censored myself and was being totally honest in saying that Obama looked AWESOME walking off after that speech! His posture was PERFECT. I could never look that cool.

Oh and thanks for saying it was out of line to call me un-American, but I've been called worse. Especially on the internet. Really to call me un-American for what I said just seems hilarious to me if anything.

Wow it would appear you have a pretty low opinion of being American by your first paragraph! Perhaps that is what the original reader/responder was picking up on in your attitude when they commented on your citizenship
    attitude is 9/10ths of conviction!
    haha no no!!
    It was more of a "definition of Americans according to angry arrogant people in other countries" in order to annoy the person trying to call me un-American.
    I dont believe thats THE definition of Americans, per se, but I don't think all that many countries have much over us either. I don't think this is the best country in the world, but I'm in no way in a hurry to leave it either...ya know?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I am Australian and it is seriously big news here too, as I am sure it is in most other parts of the world.

I'm really in two minds about this - he is the face of the "war against terror" so in one way his death seems like a victory.

But, in reality he is only one man and so many hundreds of thousands of people have died before him - many of them will have been innocent women, children, seniors along with some who are in fact active terrorists.

I can't celebrate death in any form, and I have to say that the images that we are seeing on TV of people dancing and celebrating in the streets in the US are deeply disturbing to me, and look very similar to the emotions shown during the recent violent uprisings in a number of middle eastern countries.

I'm sure (and I can see from the variety of opinions on this forum) that not everyone has the same view, and I know that everyone will express their feelings in a different way.

My personal opinion is that he will be much much more powerful now - you can't fight against or plan to kill a martyr. This will not reduce the likelihood of violence and terror, if anything it will increase it.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    One of my college professors worded it this way:

There should be a place of sadness in the heart of every believer that Bin Laden and many like him never knew the saving grace of our Lord Jesus. Regardless of one's views of war and military participation, no Christ follower should revel in violent means of justice. May God's shalom prevail in all places high and low, and may his mighty presence descend for the healing of the nations.

Really hard to remember this verse right now...
    "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles." Proverbs 24:17

Part of me celebrates, part of me mourns.

Very wise. I think we feel the repercussions of this for years to come.
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You're Welcome.

I'm quite American. I overeat, my ego is delicate and my self esteem low, I'm lazy, I think video games are a high form of entertainment, I watch cartoons, I eat hot dogs, I went to public school and learned inaccurate world history, I dont know nearly half as much as most people around the world, I always think I'm right, and I complain about things that some people would kill to have as their biggest problem. So, yea, gotta say I'm pretty American.

What rule did I break exactly? I censored myself and was being totally honest in saying that Obama looked AWESOME walking off after that speech! His posture was PERFECT. I could never look that cool.

Oh and thanks for saying it was out of line to call me un-American, but I've been called worse. Especially on the internet. Really to call me un-American for what I said just seems hilarious to me if anything.

Wow it would appear you have a pretty low opinion of being American by your first paragraph! Perhaps that is what the original reader/responder was picking up on in your attitude when they commented on your citizenship
    attitude is 9/10ths of conviction!
    haha no no!!
    It was more of a "definition of Americans according to angry arrogant people in other countries" in order to annoy the person trying to call me un-American.
    I dont believe thats THE definition of Americans, per se, but I don't think all that many countries have much over us either. I don't think this is the best country in the world, but I'm in no way in a hurry to leave it either...ya know?

Oh Gotcha! Sometimes text can leave out so much of tone it can be tricky catching which attitude is being sported! My apologies!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I already hate whatever song Toby Keith is going to write about it, lol
    best thing I have heard all day about this.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Definitely scared of the repercussions. PROUD OF OUR TROOPS. And hoping for some closure for the families effected on September 11th.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    Oh Gotcha! Sometimes text can leave out so much of tone it can be tricky catching which attitude is being sported! My apologies!
    haha no need to apologize! I did it to be a jerk and thats how it came across. Just wanted to clarify that I'm not 100% THAT pessimistic about this country
  • Therapist_mama
    Options
    haha no need to apologize! I did it to be a jerk and thats how it came across. Just wanted to clarify that I'm not 100% THAT pessimistic about this country

Thanks for being willing to give me a clearer picture of where you are coming from.....that demonstrates graciousness on your part and I appreciate your kindness in that way! :flowerforyou:
  • Jovialation
    Options
    you linked me to the exact kind of article I wanted to see today, so I've got no reason to troll you.

I just wanna know why I got called un-American! I DEMAND IT! bwahaha

ok but really, what'd I say? I was being totally honest and serious, I didn't think I was somehow anti country for it
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    you linked me to the exact kind of article I wanted to see today, so I've got no reason to troll you.

ok but really, what'd I say? I was being totally honest and serious, I didn't think I was somehow anti country for it

I want to know too. I've been called un-American for not being religious, but not by anyone I would take seriously.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    I think it was the religion thing, in which case yay me?
    Because I will lmao if thats teh case
  • Therapist_mama
    Options

I am not completely sure about the reasoning behind the responder's accusation, except for perhaps the religion part of it may have been the culprit.....or like I said maybe they heard a tone of sarcasm against America......I can't tell you really......best thing is to go to the person's profile and see if you can PM them and ask where they were getting that impression from.....if you really care about it.......my guess is it isn't really worth it to even ask personally! Sorry I am no help :blushing:
  • Jovialation
    Options
    haha I dont care enough to ask them via PM or anything like that. Im not butt-hurt by it, I just want to see how ignorant this person is, exactly.
  • Therapist_mama
    Options
    @Jovialation I have to run right now and take my boys to Karate.......I enjoyed chatting with you here!

Best to you in your journey!
    :drinker:
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    I think Obama is doing his best but he just finished the job that the Bush Administration started. Taking the credit for finishing something he was against at the beginning. I am proud to be an american but lets give credit where it is due
  • Jovialation
    Options
    soooo....give the credit to Pakistan?
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think Al Qaeda is a hydra, and 3 heads will grow back where one was cut off.

I think celebrating death is inhumane, no matter whose death that is. I am not sad he's dead, but I am sickened by street parties celebrating it. It's still death, and I can't ever find joy in death, be that human or animal.

I fear the retribution.

I should add I am much more disturbed by the news of the death of Gaddaffi's son and grandchildren. That really upset me. They were innocent, no matter what a monster their father/grandfather is.

Your fear of retribution is EXACTLY what terrorists play on. If you allow terrorist acts like 9/11/2001 to go unpunished, you appear weak. And we all know, the weak get attacked by bullies.

I am glad he is dead. GLAD. Now, maybe the families of the loved ones that were killed on 9/11 can have alittle closure - not to mention all the Gold Star mothers who mourn the loss of their children.

My son serves aboard the ship that TOOK OUT THE TRASH today and I'm am proud of it.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have to say regardless of how people feel about Obama this is a huge deal, God bless our President and God bless our troops!!!

Yes! And I'm not an Obama fan. Thank God he had the nerve to make the decision to do this.
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King Jr
  • Jovialation
    Options
    I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King Jr
    Im so glad Ive seen that quote everywhere today.

Nailrep - Closure is never going to happen for those people, even if they say that have some. Closure will never happen for the families of the innocent people the US has killed in all of this mess, either.
    "thank god he had the nerve to do this"? ....this is why I said what I said when I first saw this thread.
This discussion has been closed.