I have to ask, how do you feel about the Osama news??

Options

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I should add I am much more disturbed by the news of the death of Gaddaffi's son and grandchildren. That really upset me. They were innocent, no matter what a monster their father/grandfather is.

I agree with this 100%. I can't believe that happened, it's such a terrible tragedy.

I personally think that the celebrations are overkill. I am happy that the threat of Bin Laden is gone, I am happy that we don't have to worry about him anymore. But we can have tact about it, it is still a lost life. As much as I'd like to celebrate his death, I have to think about how I would like our men and women treated at the hands of the enemy. I do not see our people as terrorists, but it's possible that others do and would defile and make a mockery of our people and that would be entirely heartbreaking. This is a great country and should lead by example.

I don't like that everyone immediately jumped into "See?! Obama cleaned up another one of Bush's messes!" The guy got a tip, he followed it, and American troops killed a known and hunted terrorist. I don't think the man deserves a medal. I'd have said the same thing had this happened 10 years ago.

My political views seem to mesh more with what freerange said....I'm scared more about the reaction of this country than the reaction of other countries. I don't want America to be viewed as cowardly, weak, or submissive. THAT is scarier than anything to me. We are more at risk for attack, regardless of motivation, when it appears we will cower and beg for mercy rather than fight back. This is a great nation full of amazing, brave, strong men and women and I am tired of people in power making it look like we are more than happy to bend over and take whatever anyone else thinks we deserve.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Lets not forget it was our military who did this not our president. Our president merely gave permission to attack.

Amen!!!!!

At least THIS president was in the right country this time.

LMAO!! OK!!

And its never a President who pulls the trigger. So ummm yeah so lets not get technical.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think Al Qaeda is a hydra, and 3 heads will grow back where one was cut off.

I think celebrating death is inhumane, no matter whose death that is. I am not sad he's dead, but I am sickened by street parties celebrating it. It's still death, and I can't ever find joy in death, be that human or animal.

I fear the retribution.

I should add I am much more disturbed by the news of the death of Gaddaffi's son and grandchildren. That really upset me. They were innocent, no matter what a monster their father/grandfather is.

I feel the EXACT same way. I honestly could have written this. I can't celebrate death, it's still death. I also fear the retribution and how they will retaliate against America. I was extremely disturbed about the killing of the grandchildren as well. I can't wrap my head around any of this.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

I don't like that everyone immediately jumped into "See?! Obama cleaned up another one of Bush's messes!" The guy got a tip, he followed it, and American troops killed a known and hunted terrorist. I don't think the man deserves a medal. I'd have said the same thing had this happened 10 years ago.

Agree with you 100%. Bush would have had him taken out too. Obama was just president at the time the accurate came in.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

Lets not forget that the parent's are there to protect their kids. They chose to stay and put their children in harms way because of pride and loyalty to his father. I would have had to leave to protect my kids. His father is grown enough to protect himself.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Lets not forget that the parent's are there to protect their kids. They chose to stay and put their children in harms way because of pride and loyalty to his father. I would have had to leave to protect my kids. His father is grown enough to protect himself.

Right, but the kids didn't have a choice. Their parents chose to stay & be loyal, they were innocent bystanders, IMO. They are children.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Celebrating death...where do you draw the line?

I see people here happy about Bin Laden's death and some saying that death is not to be celebrated. I'm not sure where I stand as far as Bin Laden is concerneded but I know that if I had a child or someone murdered my girlfriend they would pay and I would be happy about it. Not to say I'd do it myself (which btw, in that circumstance I could) but if they were caught and given the death sentence...yes, I'd be happy.

So I can understand how some people would feel a sense of joy over Bin Laden being dead.

Go ahead and discuss how much of a weirdo I am.....in 3,2,1..............
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Bush didn't go after Bin when he had the chance or have we forgotten? After 911 he went into Iraq instead after Saddam.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

I should add I am much more disturbed by the news of the death of Gadhafi's son and grandchildren. That really upset me. They were innocent, no matter what a monster their father/grandfather is.

Right, but the kids didn't have a choice. Their parents chose to stay & be loyal, they were innocent bystanders, IMO. They are children.

It is beyond sad that innocent children that were related to Ghaddafi ended up dying. However, if my dad was Neno Brown a notorious crack dealer (New Jack City) he would never see my daughters.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

Yes they were and I'm sorry for their deaths, but the parents are to blame. If you live by the sword you will die by it and these days most likely those around you will be the innocent victims. Its very unfortunate but its becoming a given these days.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    The celebration parties are extreme. From a humanitarian perspective- a death is a death and shouldn't be celebrated.

I DO think it offers closure to a chapter that seemed like would never be closed. Ten years is a very long time for the survivors of 9/11 to wait and hope. I'm glad for them if it lessens the weight of their tradegy.

I definitely think it will cement Obama's position for the next election. I am personally a supporter but I do think in the wake of all the "birth certificate" drama, this shows great promise. Bin Laden was taken down under Obama's watch, not Bush's AFTER troops were pulled from Afganistan. "Work smarter, not harder". It rejuvinates the hope in the "yes we can" ideal.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    Options
    It rejuvinates the hope in the "yes we can" ideal.

So what if all of this is an elaborate lie to get back to the "yes we can' mentality? Would make sense coming off of the birth cert. deal.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Osama had instructions as to what his followers needed to do in case of his death, so naturally it is scarry. We need to be very aware adn vigilant about what's going on around us.

I also think it is really freaky that also on 5/1 in 1945 Hitler also died. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/1/default.stm

well, he didn't die yesterday. He died a week ago and they have been waiting to make the announcement b/c they wanted DNA proof. Just sayin'
  • DeathIsMyGift
    Options
    I'm sure Osama had instructions as to what his followers needed to do in case of his death, so naturally it is scarry. We need to be very aware adn vigilant about what's going on around us.

I also think it is really freaky that also on 5/1 in 1945 Hitler also died. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/1/default.stm

well, he didn't die yesterday. He died a week ago and they have been waiting to make the announcement b/c they wanted DNA proof. Just sayin'

They still don't have DNA proof. So if he died a week ago, why announce it now instead of when they have the DNA tests back?
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options

So what if all of this is an elborate lie to get back to the "yes we can' mentality? Would make sense coming off of the birth cert. deal.

...and the conspiracies come out!

I just think if the majority of this country can stand behind our government, even temporarily, there is hope. We all sensed the same feeling of unity after 9/11, this is just the final chapter of that tragedy. That's all I'm sayin'.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

So what if all of this is an elaborate lie to get back to the "yes we can' mentality? Would make sense coming off of the birth cert. deal.

I worry about this too. He finally produces a birth certificate (I'm not a birther by any means, but for the sake of this argument) and then announces that Bin Laden is dead? That seems a little suspicious of misdirection. Hard to keep that thought out of my head.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

Really? It was reported on several sites he died yesterday because they said the raid begain at 4PM Washington D.C. Time.

I'm not familiar with DNA testing, but I'm certain there are methods to get testing done on a rather quick turnaround time if needed. Considering the tests were probably ordered by the White House, (and the test can be done quickly), they may have had the proof rather quickly after his death.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I hear Osama's body was buried at sea or lost at sea (haven't read all the details) I hate when the US gov't does something but has no proof, not cool.

Either way this will probably help Obama win the next election.

Agreed.. Show me the body.

Not that it makes any difference. The Middle East has been in conflict for many centuries. Another knucklehead will rise and take his place. As long as there is Oil in the Middle East, our Government will align themselves with one side or the other. Let's get the heck out and spend our money on our own internal strife.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    Options

So what if all of this is an elborate lie to get back to the "yes we can' mentality? Would make sense coming off of the birth cert. deal.

...and the conspiracies come out!

I just think if the majority of this country can stand behind our government, even temporarily, there is hope. We all sensed the same feeling of unity after 9/11, this is just the final chapter of that tragedy. That's all I'm sayin'.

This whole ordeal reeks of conspiracies. I'm not a conspiraciist in the least but I can see so many holes in this story.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Lets not forget it was our military who did this not our president. Our president merely gave permission to attack.

Amen!!!!!

At least THIS president was in the right country this time.

what are you even talking about? On 9/11/01, President Bush was in a classroom reading to children when his aide came in and told him, "Mr. President, the country is under attack." He finished up quickly and excused himself. He was most certainly NOT in another country. Facts, please.
This discussion has been closed.