The LATEST diet

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Bumping in honor of yet another fad diet thread I saw pop up.

I'd love to say, I'm shocked, but I'm not. :ohwell:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump...for the usual reason :indifferent:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Andddd...again :grumble: :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    thbumpphotobucketluckily1.gif
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm thinking, with all the "diet" talk today, this post needs a bump.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking, with all the "diet" talk today, this post needs a bump.

Should we blame Netflix? :laugh:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump for my topics!
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I love it!

:heart:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    self bump (hey it's HEALTHY!)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    self bump (hey it's HEALTHY!)
    That's what they all say – until it falls off! :noway:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    you have a dirty mind PJ. :tongue:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm choosing to believe that was a compliment. :bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I do believe it's time to BUUUUMMPP. So many people just don't get it, I had to bump this today.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but I followed a link to this from another post and don't have time at the moment to read all 7 pages. I agree wholeheartedly with most of the diet but why can't things be ground up. No peanut or almond butter? No hummus or other bean dips? I'm not sure I'm on board with that. I love those foods and they are very healthy.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    By ground up, I was referring to processing, like taking wheat kernels and grinding them up to remove some of the nutrients (I.E. white flour). I wasn't talking about things like peanut butter.

Although I will say this about grinding things up, even good stuff, when you grind up a whole food, you are inherently making the nutrients more accessible to the body, which means faster digestion, which means (in the case of carbohydrates at least) more surface area for the body to act on faster, which means more carbs making it to the blood stream faster, which can mean more energy than your body can use at any one time, which means fat storage.

So even though I was talking more about grinding up things and removing parts, the whole idea of grinding up food is a bit of a slippery slope. Side note, this also goes for "juicing" as well. One of the reasons why fruits aren't as bad as something made with sugar and/or white flour is that the carbs are locked up in a fibrous lattice, which the body must break down before absorbing, which means a more even release of energy, you juice something, and you give your body fast access to that energy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    By ground up, I was referring to processing, like taking wheat kernels and grinding them up to remove some of the nutrients (I.E. white flour). I wasn't talking about things like peanut butter.

Although I will say this about grinding things up, even good stuff, when you grind up a whole food, you are inherently making the nutrients more accessible to the body, which means faster digestion, which means (in the case of carbohydrates at least) more surface area for the body to act on faster, which means more carbs making it to the blood stream faster, which can mean more energy than your body can use at any one time, which means fat storage.

So even though I was talking more about grinding up things and removing parts, the whole idea of grinding up food is a bit of a slippery slope. Side note, this also goes for "juicing" as well. One of the reasons why fruits aren't as bad as something made with sugar and/or white flour is that the carbs are locked up in a fibrous lattice, which the body must break down before absorbing, which means a more even release of energy, you juice something, and you give your body fast access to that energy.

I agree that when it comes to grains whole is better. Whole whole grains are better than whole grain flour, which is better than white flour which has the bran removed. But food gets ground up in my mouth before I swallow it anyway so outside of flour, which is ground much finer than I will take the fime to do with my teeth, I think ground foods are fine.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the Human Diet. Simple.

BUMP :happy:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Great post and what I'm striving to make my new way of life. Still struggling a bit with some of it but getting there. I do eat less carbs than you're suggesting but I am diabetic so I do need to watch that closer than most people. I don't worry about non-starch veggie carbs but I do have to be more careful with fruit, i.e. can eat it but only in very small amounts with some protein. While I do have a little bit of grain-based carbs, I do my best to make sure that it's whole-grain and, again, to eat it with a protein/fat in more limited amounts (like an open-faced sandwich, once in awhile, for example). Anyway, this is a great post as all your posts are, Banks. I've learned a lot from you here.

Mainly just posting so I can bump it. :)