most insensitive gift ever...

Options

Replies

• 000angie000
    000angie000 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    These are Soo funny and sad at the same time. My hubby went shopping at Khols. The next day was mothers day so he gave me the $30 worth of Khols cash he got for spending $150. He spent the $150 on himself.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    After going through several years of infertility, etc., I was finally looking forward to my first Mother's day as a mom. Well, the day came, and there was nothing from my husband...no "Happy Mother's Day," no card, etc. When I asked about it, he said, "You're not my mom." Fortunately, he eventuallylearned that it's appropriate to be grateful to the woman who is the mother of your children on Mother's Day!! (Whew!!)

my kids are 6 and 10...EVERY year my significant other has bought a gift, card etc for mothers day basically from both him and the kids...this year...NOTHING...3 days after moms day i could stand it anymore so i asked him..why didnt you get anything for mothers day??? he said "your not my mom" WHAT?!?!?! whats changed between this year and every other year???!!!
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think I must have been about 12/13 at the time but my mum and dad had said that they were going to buy me and my sisters a video console each and asked which one we wanted. I asked for a Nintendo Gamecube and my sisters all chose out of the other relevant consoles at the time which ones they wanted.

We were so excited about opening our present on Christmas day and all did one by one. My sisters got there consoles and were over the moon. (I have four sisters, every one had the console they asked for) It was my turn to open my present, and I unwrapped a DVD player....

Now I'm not usually ungrateful but I was just so shocked that they had asked what consoles we wanted, we said, and every one of my sisters got what they asked for but me.
    I was so upset I had to hide the tears and I mentioned to my sister quietly that it's a nice gift and all but everyone else was super happy with their games consoles and I wouldn't be able to have one myself I could only watch DVD's.
    I decided to mention it to my mum quietly and it took forever to pluck up the courage to mention it because I didn't want to seem ungrateful.

I said "umm mum you know that DVD player you bought me? Is there any way we could take it back so I can get the games console like what the girls have got please?"
    She didn't take it well and was quite disgusted and angry that I had even mentioned about taking it back and to this day I still think that it was a little unfair against me? Or am I wrong?

She angrily took it back for me and allowed me to have a games console after my sister had said that she thought it was a little unfair that my sisters got a console each and I never. :(
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump--gotta go but i want to finish reading this and post later!! this is HILARIOUS!!! :D
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Last Christmas my MIL gave me a pair of satin pjs...I thought for once she had given me something I'd actually use...until she tells me how neat it is that she has a matching pair and DH's grandma has a nightgown that matches! Hubby was there when I was opening it and he burst out laughing! She didn't get what was so funny. Yeah, thats exactly what I want my husband thinking about when I climb into bed with him in my new bedroom attire. Return!

That gift is closely followed by the year she got me a fur coat. I'm a vegetarian and have been since she's known me! I don't eat meat, but I'm supposed to wear FUR??
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, I just love to tell this story.

My husband and I have been married almost 18 years. but back in '99 we were separated for about 10 months. We moved back in together early 2000. Along comes Valentine's Day, so I decide to bake cupcakes and cookies for him. I spent all evening making them, packaged them up all pretty with a nice card. Now, my husband is a bowler, has been bowling on leagues for years. This was bowling night. No big deal, I'll see him when he gets home....which happened to end up being around 3 am, rip roaring drunk. The next day, nothing. No card, no gift, mumbled apologies. So that night he comes home with a card and a big chocolate heart full of candy. I look at him and say, really, you think HALF PRICE candy is going to do it? So I let it sit there a day or two while I'm stewing. Finally I decide to let it go, I go to get a piece of candy and it's gone. I ask, where is the candy heart. He looks at me with fear in his eye and says, I didn't think you wanted it, so I ate it.

Drunk husband, half price candy, that HE ATE.

OMG I'm dieing laughing!!! LMAO This is EXACTLY something my husband would do!!!

I told my husband last night that I posted this story. His response "Well, it sat there a couple days, I wasn't going to let chocolate go to waste!" Ahhhh, not much has changed in 10+ years since that Vday. ;)
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Oh and every year it seems my MIL is determined to buy me clothes. She always asks what size, I tell her, then she proceeds to buy at LEAST one or two sizes bigger "just in case". In case of WHAT???

grandchildren?

Ahahahaha....could be.

This isn't really insensitive, but a little frustrating sometimes. My husband and his brother are 3 years apart, and me and my SIL are about the same. So every year at Christmas my MIL gets the boys the exact same gifts, just possibly different colors, and yep, you guessed it, the SIL and I get the same things. So we have tried to work out a system where we open them at the same time, otherwise we will already know what it is before we open it if the other one beat us to it. :/
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Ok, one more while I'm here. I feel bad bashing the hubby, b/c he really is pretty good at gifts, but after 20+ years together, there are bound to be some flubs.

We were at college together, I lived alone, he lived with his brother. We had been dating about 4 years and had talked about marriage, but there hadn't been any official proposal or plans made. He worked part time at the bowling alley in town and was constantly bringing home little things that people had left behind and never came back to retrieve (lost and found crap). So one night we are at his house and he says, hey I got you something. He pulls out this ring and says, do you want to wear this? Ok, first, THAT is not a proposal, and second, it was the most GAWD AWFUL looking thing in the world, looked like some cheap piece of costume jewelry, and it was a wedding band, not engagement ring. I sat there stunned, with an inkling in the back of my mind that this MAY HAVE come from the Lost and Found box...so I finally said, well honey, it's nice but it kinda looks like a wedding band, not an engagement ring, and since we aren't married, I would feel weird wearing it. Maybe you can hang onto it.

I never saw it again.
  • paprgrl421
    paprgrl421 Posts: 3
    Options
    My stepmom is a TERRIBLE gift giver...I think she's finally given in and gets us gift cards to someplace at Christmas...

As a note, she was never terrible at it until after she had a kid. This also coincided with being born again....

Kleenex. Honest to goodness. A box of Kleenex. Then the next year, chapstick and pocket pack Kleenex. Nothing cute or out of the ordinary (Friends pick me up random things with Eiffel Towers--I'm a French teacher-- and Hello Kitty, like pocket pack Kleenex...but that's different...) just plain pulled it out of the closet Kleenex.

I'm just WAITING for the Christmas when she gives my boyfriend a Home Bible Study book...This is a recurring gift for people that she gives...

He's Jewish.
  • nmterp
    nmterp Posts: 74
    Options
    MIL gave me a cross pendant.... I'm Jewish.

ROFL!!! This has happened to me too!

Thanks for posting, this is quite theraputic. Here's mine:

Hanukkah, my half sister and brother each got a guitar and amp. What did I get from my dad and step mom? A $10 gift card to Wal-Mart STILL in the Wal-Mart bag with the receipt! When I looked at the date and time of purchase it was five minutes after Hanukkah festivities started. Now I know why they were late, sigh. Nothing says after thought quite like that.
  • abdilla1
    abdilla1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Cough Drops. For my birthday. Not kidding.

He was my first boyfriend and I thought I was sooo lucky to have him (considering my, ahem, girth) and he tried to play it off that it was "just like candy" - I'm pretty sure he forgot my birthday and pulled it out of his medicine cabinet that morning.

To top it off, his Christmas present to me was 2 candy bars and gum... not long after until it was broken off...
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    these have me rolling! wow!

My husband of 11 years is a terrible gift giver. He once got me pink fuzzy mittens for my birthday - in MAY. I know he thought Id love them but I dont do pink and well, mittens in MAY?! Another time he went out and spent a ton - overdrafted our account - on a gold gaudy fish necklace. Im a simple, silver loving girl. I never wear big jewelry. And this thing was massive. He admitted later that he wanted it and it STILL hangs from the mirror of his car. We ate bologna sandwiches for a week over that!
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    For my 27th Birthday (4 weeks ago)... the girl I was seeing for about 6 months at the time gave me a big fat awesome lie!

I knew she was moving from one side of her town to another on the weekend of my birthday (she lives 6 hours away in NC). So I didn't expect to see her. However I go all day/all night waiting for a text message or a phone call or even a response to one of the text messages I sent her that day. Nothing all day on my Birthday... I'm a pretty understanding guy so I say whatever. The next morning I get a text from her asking about my birthday night etc etc. She said she was so beat and wore out from moving she just passed out.

I FIND OUT THROUGH A FRIENDS FACEBOOK not only was she not passed out, she drove 7 hours up into Maryland (where I live), PAST my house with a friend of hers on the day/night of my birthday and was STILL in the state when she said she was at home laying in bed the day after...

Us men may not be able to pick out gifts, but this is why I hate women...
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Us men may not be able to pick out gifts, but this is why I hate women...

Yowch. That does suck. However, hating ALL women will not help you. Nor every girl is like that. I don't think every guy is a jerk just because I've been stood up more times than I care to remember, and dumped quite a few times.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    When I was 22 my boyfriend's mom gave me $20 for my birthday. Doesn't sound bad right? It included a note saying that the money was to be spent on condoms so I wouldn't "complicate his life anymore than you already have."
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Damn, This is a tough room! I guess I won't say ANYTHING about the year I bought my wife road flares for her birthday. It's a long story, but I can see there would be very little appreciation for my gift.
    smiley-sad030.gif
    Oh I don't know. I mean, what if she breaks down late at night and could use them to alert drivers she's there? Keeps her safe. Shows you love her. I think it's romantic. Women just don't get it.

hehehe, there's nothing wrong with giving your lady road flares, or things of that nature to keep her safe. BUT WHY OH WHY do you think you should give such a thing to her as a 'GIFT' on a "special day"?? hahaha, If it's just some random Tuesday and you say Hey hun, I was thinking of you and I want to make sure you're safe, here's a kit of jumper cables, fix a flat, and road flares....there would be NO issues. Or you could always take it a step further and say "Hun, I was thinking of you and want to make sure you're safe...This is Sven. He's going to be your personal body guard/choffer from now on....you won't need a jack cause sven can lift 400 lbs with one arm...."
    Whoa, sorry...little day dream there ;)

Agreed 100% on all points....

Dear Santa,

I've been really good this year, may I please have a Sven? I need it for my car.

LOL
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    First: My father has NEVER bought me anything for my birthday or Christmas. Ever. Ever. He has one time printed me out a card off the computer the day after my birthday because he forgot and taped it to a bottle of chocolate milk in the fridge.. which he had drank half of.

My mother a couple of years ago bought me 8 black BROKEN picture frames from wal-mart. She bought my SIL 80 dollars worth of perfume and lotion, my husband a BBQ pit and me 8 black BROKEN picture frames. How do I know they were from wal-mart? I had already bought me some from the clearance rack they were on. We gave her $100 gift card to Lane Bryant.

I always get clothes that are too small because basically they don't want to hurt my feelings.
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have so many - mainly from a pretty terrible ex. The Harry Potter bookends for my 33rd birthday are a particular highlight.

But one of the most random presents I've ever (nearly) had is what my brother bought me this year. Bit of background: my kitchen is very well stocked with a v expensive kettle which never gets used as I have a tefal quick cup which dispenses instant hot water. Yes, I'm lazy, I can't wait for the time it takes a kettle to boil! :drinker:

My brother knows this as he's been to my house many times and always has at least 4 cups of coffee when he's here.

So long story short, for my birthday this year (in February) he bought me a whistling kettle which goes on the stove. Random and totally unnecessary? Yes. Even more bizarrely, although the children, my partner and my parents have heard about (and seen) this kettle, he hasn't yet actually given it to me.

So not only do I know that the present I will eventually get will be useless to me, I will have to pretend to be surprised and delighted despite having known about it for the last 3 months.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Ok this is a painful memory, on my 21st b-day my then
    husband said i was gonna get a special delivery.
    all day every time a car drove down our cul-de-sac
    I would look out the window, after hours of this he laughed
    and said i never even ordered anything and you keep looking :cry:
    No wonder he is an ex.
  • Lindsay7360
    Lindsay7360 Posts: 99
    Options
    Hahaha! I'm cracking up, too funny, must bump!