P90X Classic Starting June 6th, Who's in?

Options

Replies

• swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    that's what I did towards the end, I took out my heaviest band from the pullup group, and then sat down pretty far away to still get a good burn. The problem is, the heaviest weight by itself isn't really heavy enough for the bicep stuff... I was doing 30, 35 reps of all the stuff, had to keep pausing the video to "find the burn". If I take another band out of the pullup group to stack for the bicep stuff, even sitting down far away will be barely any weight... ohwell. I'ma check out the weight room this afternoon.
    Amy
  • DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    that's what I did towards the end, I took out my heaviest band from the pullup group, and then sat down pretty far away to still get a good burn. The problem is, the heaviest weight by itself isn't really heavy enough for the bicep stuff... I was doing 30, 35 reps of all the stuff, had to keep pausing the video to "find the burn". If I take another band out of the pullup group to stack for the bicep stuff, even sitting down far away will be barely any weight... ohwell. I'ma check out the weight room this afternoon.
    Amy

haveyou thought about buying one of those pull up bars that hang in the door frame? like Tony shows in the "How To Bring IT" video? that is what my wife and i use(i had it from back when i was workingout before p90x) and she uses a chair like they show in most of the videos. you can pick them up at walmart, but the cheaper ones wont let you go out too wide for corn cob pullups. and i dont do the towel pull ups with it, i do a wide neutral grip.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Back & Biceps + Ap Ripper X this morning:

I still haven't gotten my new bands so my husband recommended that I use the lat bar on our home gym. Duh! Now I'm not even sure if I need the bands! And I can increase the weight as I progress. I must say that it worked pretty well. My triceps and my biceps both are in pain today!
  • swinginchandra
    Options
    Amy

haveyou thought about buying one of those pull up bars that hang in the door frame? like Tony shows in the "How To Bring IT" video? that is what my wife and i use(i had it from back when i was workingout before p90x) and she uses a chair like they show in most of the videos. you can pick them up at walmart, but the cheaper ones wont let you go out too wide for corn cob pullups. and i dont do the towel pull ups with it, i do a wide neutral grip.

Can't, unfortunately, since I'm in a dorm guest house type place for the summer. Plus I'm only here for another month, after which point I'll have pull up bars!
  • DeadZip2010
    Options
    ok, figured this needed to be the first place I came to ask questions sence yall are in the same program with me.

The numbers on my scale are going up. and not in a good way. At the tale end of last week I was down to 166, thought id be able to break into the 165 or under by the end of this week, but almost the opossite.
    Today i was back around 169 and i have not been goin over in my calorie count. If I had gone over, it shouldnt have been 3 pounds worth.
    And i thought about the muscle weighs more than fat deal, but the BF% on the scale is going up with the weight.

I just needed to get this off of my chest, figured yall might have some thoughts or ideas that could help.
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    ok, figured this needed to be the first place I came to ask questions sence yall are in the same program with me.

The numbers on my scale are going up. and not in a good way. At the tale end of last week I was down to 166, thought id be able to break into the 165 or under by the end of this week, but almost the opossite.
    Today i was back around 169 and i have not been goin over in my calorie count. If I had gone over, it shouldnt have been 3 pounds worth.
    And i thought about the muscle weighs more than fat deal, but the BF% on the scale is going up with the weight.

I just needed to get this off of my chest, figured yall might have some thoughts or ideas that could help.

this happened to me in my first round, when i asked this question , i was told that the muscles hold extra water til they get used to the exercise. when the muscle sees it ok it will shed the extra water. i would go from a 2-5 pounds gain when going into differnet phase but also lost it back. are you keeping up with your measurements also?
  • dcollins12
    dcollins12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i plan on starting the P90x tomorrow is it too late to join this group??
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    i plan on starting the P90x tomorrow is it too late to join this group??

Join in. Many of us are in various stages of P90X. Some are just starting. Others have done a round already (like myself). A couple have done multiple rounds.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

As for BF on the scale, these things are notoriously inaccurate. Does your scale have sensors where you step? If not it is calculating body fat based on Gender, height, and weight, so if you are heavier the scale would tell you your BF increased when it may not have. My scale at home is like that.
  • DeadZip2010
    Options

As for BF on the scale, these things are notoriously inaccurate. Does your scale have sensors where you step? If not it is calculating body fat based on Gender, height, and weight, so if you are heavier the scale would tell you your BF increased when it may not have. My scale at home is like that.

yeah, it has the electronic spots that i have to step on, and i know they are not very accurate. but i wanted to use it as a refference point because as long as the number on that scale was going down i should be seeing results. right?

and to syd1980 - i dont take my measurments very often, i have a tape, but i usually put it off and get lazy. at 60 days and 90 days im going to try to force myself to take them.
  • melleyd
    Options
    I'm making a pact with myself, I've decided - by the time phase 3 rolls around, and we're switching off between the this video, and the last one, NO GIRLY PUSHUPS. I will do at least 10 regular pushups of every move. Any girls care to join my pact?

I would love to join you but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a decent one by then! I may have to wait until closer to the end of Phase 3. I will do it if I can though! (I have a lot more weight to push up....lol).
  • melleyd
    Options
    I received my bands last night but it seems scary to use them with the door attachment. These are heavy ones, 25 - 50 pounds between 3 different bands. I'll try it next time I do pullups. I'm sure it will be fine but seems a little scary to pull that hard when just a little piece of material is holding it in the door!
  • swinginchandra
    Options
    I received my bands last night but it seems scary to use them with the door attachment. These are heavy ones, 25 - 50 pounds between 3 different bands. I'll try it next time I do pullups. I'm sure it will be fine but seems a little scary to pull that hard when just a little piece of material is holding it in the door!

I was totally scared at first too, but it's held up fine for me. One thing I do, is make sure to slide the little piece as close into the hinges of the door as is convenient in the space I'm in... less torque pulling the door open! (As mine was want to fly open when the attachment was further out)

As far as weight goes, deadzip, glad to see you were down again! Can be scary when weight fluctuates like that. I too am in the same situation right now, a few lbs up, but I figure it's what Syd said - my muscles are probably water hogs right now after their 1.5 week break! :p (either that or it's my misbehaving TOM finally deciding to show itself... lol)
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options

I have nothing useful to contribute; I have no reasonable explanations. Just thought I'd offer my experience...

I weighed myself this morning. (I put it off since June 17th). I'm up 1.1 lbs, but the shorts I'm wearing today fit a tiny bit more loosely than they did a few weeks ago. I will go to the store TODAY and get some measuring tape so I won't get discouraged by my weight gain. I feel stronger, look a bit more toned, and I'm more flexible. I feel great! I'm always a little unsure about my diet as far as WHAT I'm eating, the HOW MUCH is within boundaries. Can't wait for Day 60!
  • DeadZip2010
    Options
    for ayone who uses Heart Rate Monitors, do yall just count the calories yall burn during the time of the workout or do yall keep counting until your heart rate is back closer to normal?
    ive been just counting what i burn during the workouts. is that right or wrong?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    for ayone who uses Heart Rate Monitors, do yall just count the calories yall burn during the time of the workout or do yall keep counting until your heart rate is back closer to normal?

Either way is only an estimate, buy stopping when you stop will be closer, as the calculation embedded in the HRM assumes you are exercising the entire time it is on (HR is only one aspect of calorie burn). If you keep it on when you finish, the HRM will over estimate your burn as it is using HR as a variable, in a calculation that assumes you are working out.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options

I stop the HR monitor as soon as the workout is done. I still monitor my HR just to see how long it takes to get back to normal, but I don't count the calories during that time.
  • chazdiezal
    chazdiezal Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    anyone take 30 day pics?
  • melleyd
    Options
    anyone take 30 day pics?

I didn't because I didn't really see any changes! I'm looking forward to day 90 though!
  • melleyd
    Options
    II was totally scared at first too, but it's held up fine for me. One thing I do, is make sure to slide the little piece as close into the hinges of the door as is convenient in the space I'm in... less torque pulling the door open! (As mine was want to fly open when the attachment was further out)

Thanks this makes me feel a little better! You are an awesome MFP friend!