WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• gail0713
    gail0713 Posts: 7
    Options
    I live in West Texas where the temperature was 110 today. I like to walk outside, but it never cools off enough. I usually walk on my treadmill or use the Walk Away the Pounds dvd's with Leslie Sansone. I work at the school here so I am off during the summer months. I usually gain weight when I go back to work. I hope to break that chain this year. I hope MFP can help me stay on track. My goal for this month is to loose 10 pounds. I would like to be at my goal weight by September 1. Have a good day to all you ladies.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Today was a busy day and I am so tired. I am going to have a Father's Day dinner at my house. It will be just my sister's family and us so I need to prepare for that tomorrow after I tutor. I am going to do a simple lasagna and salad.
    Today was not a planned gym day but I got to go to a yoga class to help a new yoga teacher. It was great to get that time.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Thin Commandment #3 says “The problem may be in the food, not in you.”

As someone who has had to ban sugar, alcohol, white flour, peanut butter, most cereal, and most bread from my house, I can understand that. I don’t think about one drink, one piece of cake, one bowl of ice cream or cereal or one piece of bread. I think instead of consuming the whole container. If I don’t take the first bite then I’m fine. rerfte

The last paragraph of the chapter says, “We can’t change our basic genetic response to food, but we can alter it powerfully through strategy. Whether we control it or it controls us is up to us, through the power of these techniques”

The chapter has a lot of information about the different ways different people respond to different foods and some strategies that are useful responses. For me the important thing is to recognize that I respond differently to certain foods and deal with it rather than lamenting the fact that other people can eat certain things with impunity while I go off on a binge after one bite.

:flowerforyou: If you’re new to this thread, this is about a book called “The Thin Commandments Diet” by Stephen Gullo. Someone recommended the book to me and I started reading it and promised to share a few nuggets from the book along with some comments.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Natalie - there are some good recipes for pork tenderloin on the net. Try allrecipes.com

Did a Leslie Sansone DVD this morning, then went food shopping, then play mah jongg (I even maj'd once!), came home, put the groceries away, then Vince, Jessica and I went bowling. Out of 3 games, I broke 100 twice (just barely) and the third game I was very close. What I don't understand is why my games are always in the low 100's. Jessica went to her dentist appt and Vince and I bought grommets for the shower curtains I made. Then we went and picked up a copy of the permit to build the pool. Maybe, just maybe, I'll actually get it. Well, the tank inspection (since we have a septic) is good for one year.

Now for some very interesting news: we went out to dinner. Jessica wanted to take Vince out for Father's Day, guess who wound up paying? Anyway, before we left I had one of those chocolate bran muffins. Boy, they REALLY make you want to drink. I had 48oz just with the muffin. Anyway, I was pretty full. Well, we went to this pizza place, I got a chicken salad (grilled chicken breast on lettuce). Jessica ordered 2 slices of pizza. I know they have LARGE slices. Anyway, one of her slices I had them cut in 4ths and I only had like a 2" piece of 1/4. Now I'm totally full. Just logged my food. Without the cookie/cake, I have something like 700 calories leftover. What's happening today?

After mahjongg I bought Jessica two decorated cookies, one says "congratulations" and the other has a pic of a cat and a dog on it. Anyway, I know she wants to have some for dessert. Honestly, I'd really prefer to have an orange. In case people don't know, LAT (the certification she tested for and passed) stands for Laboratory Animal Technician.

Tomorrow....hit the farmers market for more of those sweet orange beets, then yoga, then I'll probably go to WalMart to pick up a few things since that's on my way home.

Well, I gave into my craving for an orange. Guess there's worse things that I could be craving :)

Had a piece of the cookie/cake of Jessica's. My problem is fats and sugars, once I start in I have a hard time stopping. Anyway, if I let myself, I would have had 2 pieces of the cake. But I did resist. Now I brushed my teeth and honestly feel like a second piece won't matter, all desire is gone. How good that feels!

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    Today is our last day in Chicago and we are actually in Chicago. We stayed at a condo about an hour away for the week. We drove in to the city each day to do what we had to do. we chose to stay at the condo on tues. and just hang out and avoid the drive. we had a really good week. we started out on sunday and came into chicago and did a wrigley field tour. my son was in awe. so was I. we then went to the pier and ate supper at Harry Carry's. awesome food and I did well. I ate only light breakfast that day and the food at harry's. then on Monday we came into town and visited the pier and then went to the game. on wed. we did the museums and we got rain. they were very crowed cause they were free for the week. then my son, dil, hubby and myself went to wrigley and bought some more tickets and went to another game. we got tickets about 15 rows behind home plate. it was awesome. we had rain delay and did not start until nearly 9 and we did not get home until 130 am. on thursday we did trolley tour, sears tower (no I did not go up) ate giordanos pizza which lorri had recommended. I only had one small slice and it was so good. I am not a pizza person but this pizza is amazing. we then took girls to american girl for supper and buy dolls and clothes. that place is amazing. this morning we got up and came to chicago and checked in at westin on michigan ave. and guys went to game and we walked around town. when guys got back we walked some more. we had trouble finding place that would take 10 people but we ended up at tgifridays. I got a burger and treated myself since I had been so good all week. I did not eat it all. I have really enjoyed chicago and really want to come back some day. It is nothing like the city I imagined it would be. I am not a city girl and would not like the traffic and other things about the city on a daily basis, but I do love the people, and stores, and food places and sights, sounds, action. I like the walking or biking everywhere. I skimmed the posts but willl read fully later. I did not log cause we had no internet in condo room but as soon as I got to the westin i hooked it up. will be home tomorrow evening and will try to post.
    vicki m
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Vicki
    Hi our family was at the cubs game on wed.We didn`t stay for the whole game.
    jane
  • vickim26
    Options
    Hey Jane,
    I did not realize you were from Chicago or I would have looked you up. It was a long wait but it turned out to be a good game. no way my son would leave early. where were your seats.
    vicki m
  • janemartin02
    Options
    we were in row 219.we had cover and was nice,didn`t get wet.
    Live in Berwyn,not far from Chicago.
    have a good night!
    jane
  • vickim26
    Options
    good morning ladies,
    up early. want to enjoy our last few hours. flight is not until 4 so we are going to walk get some breakfast and walk some more. will begin logging my food and posting again tomorrow. have a good sat. it is cool here again. last night at supper we were actually cold. we are not looking forward to going home to heat and humidity.
    vicki m
  • janemartin02
    Options
    Good morning!
    have a great day !
    jane
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is doing O.K., that's a good thing. They are predicting rain for us for today - I just hate dreary days. It's cloudy and cool right now.

Made it to water aerobics yesterday and that went well. Plan on walking with a friend today. We never walk more than a mile but at least it's some exercise. The pool is closed on the weekends so I can't go swimmimg.

My food went O.K. yesterday - I stayed under my limit for calories. How can you tell if your body is in starvation mode? I keep getting that message that says I'm not eating enough and my body could go into starvation mode.

I'm still depressed but yesterday was better. Today not so much.

Everybody have a good day.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies!

I've been MIA over a week and not caught up on posts...:ohwell:

Was sicker than I've been in years Wednesday night, started throwing up around one, around three it changed to uncontrollable other-endedness . . . could have been a bug but I'm blaming the pot luck potato salad... another reason to eat only what one brings to community meals . . . Spent Thursday and Friday in bed... am now so sore and stiff from inactivity I can barely move... lower back, joints everything aches this morning.

Dragged my poor sorry butt onto the Wii for a bare minimum 3 mins basic step, 6 mins basic hula hoop, 3 mins basic boxing and it loosened me up enough to water the garden. Never imagined I'd turn to a video game for therapeutic purposes :noway: :laugh: Skipping Zumba this morning tho' just don't have the strenght/energy.

The good news is that over the past 3 days I've lost over 2.5 lbs, but not counting today's 1.6, know its because I am E M P T Y. Will try to build on this by choosing healthy foods today (pay no attention to yesterday's ounce of carrot cake crumbs:tongue: ...), easier as Joe is already out on errands and will eat on the road.

Hugs to all,
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Busy day here indoors, even though it is lovely out. No bowling today because there is a tournament at the club and I'm not playing in it.

Still have lotsof clearing up to do in preparation for guests tomorrow. still also need to plant my tomato plants, so that perhaps I'll get some tomatoes later in the season.

Going to see my aunt later. She called and asked me to do a little bit of grocery shopping for her. She lives in a retirement residence, but still makes breakfast for herself.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Although I won't be posting much while I'm visiting family, I'm keeping up with your posts. Barbie, I had to comment on yours. It hit home powerfully with me. Yes, certain foods do trigger binges for me. I always knew that. But I never thought of it as a genetic thing. The idea of using strategy to deal with this was a revelation. Of course!!!!

For me, I can have small amounts of most things when I'm at home and weighing and logging. When I'm away from home and there are endless quantities available, set out for whoever'd like a nibble, I'm lost.

What does this mean to me for today? I'm bringing the pre-dinner munchies for our Father's Day get-together this evening. I wanted to please my Dad, who loves cheese and crackers. After reading what Barbie wrote, I'm changing my plans. My Dad will get along just fine with healthier food and I'll do a whole lot better. Instead of cheese and crackers, I'm going to bring Trader Joe's eggplant hummus and a good salsa. I'll serve with butter lettuce and chips or crackers for those who want them (they don't tempt me when I've got lettuce available.)

Thank you, Barbie, for passing along this gem. I forwarded your post to my entire family because I know it will hit home with them or someone they know. Now that I think of it, I'm going to forward it to some friends too.

I think nothing of it when we go out of the way to get gluten-free foods for DGD Olivia who has celiac. Your post made me realize how likely it is, even probable, that my binges in the past related to some genetic response to certain foods and require the same care to avoiding them that we take for Olivia. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :smooched:

Barbara, I saw your post. I'm sorry you were so sick. :sick: That's the hard way to lose weight. I hope you're feeling better today. :heart:
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Again, how do you prepare your PORK TENDERLOIN on the grill, do you marinate it?
    I am down 3 pounds total for cycle 1, round 2, I started cycle 2 today, for another 10 days or so, then I will move on to cycle 3 for 10 days, not going to do the full 17 days on each of the other 2 cycles...

We are taking grandson swimming at our pool, I will put suit on, but not go in water..

Natalie
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Natalie - Here a few from Allrecipes.com. I have used the first one and loved it but then it has the spices that we like. I added a couple others that may suit you better. If you don't like any of these, there are several more on this web site. Sage and garlic is also a good spice combination. It just depends on what flavors you prefer. The main thing is to not overcook the meat and keep it moist. Tenderloin is a very lean meat and you can dry it out easily.

Hope this helps. :smile:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/garlic-herb-grilled-pork-tenderloin/detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/tangy-grilled-pork-tenderloin/detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/grilled-pork-tenderloin/detail.aspx

Faye
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options

My food went O.K. yesterday - I stayed under my limit for calories. How can you tell if your body is in starvation mode? I keep getting that message that says I'm not eating enough and my body could go into starvation mode.

:flowerforyou: Jeanne, starvation mode is not something you are going to feel, but you'll notice that you're not losing weight even though it seems that you are keeping your calories low. Your food diary is not public so I don't know what you are actually eating. My experience (both personal and what I've learned from others) is that it takes about 1200 calories of really healthy food to nourish your body sufficiently to operate well. If you exercise a lot, then it takes more calories than that. MFP automatically cautions you when you drop under 1200 calories. I suggest you continue to review your food diary and make sure that every calorie you consume is a healthy one and that you eat a bit more on days with strenuous exercise. Eating healthier and staying active are likely to improve your mood and outlook on life :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Mimi, you and I have been so like minded about so many things that it doesn't surprise me that you would relate immediately to the latest comments about the thin commandments......I'm glad they were useful to you....for years I have told people that I know how to eat no ice cream at all and I know how to eat the whole half gallon in one sitting but I don't know how to eat it moderately :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Vicki, you always know how to have a great vacation......I'm glad Chicago was good for you......your healthy eating should be an inspiration to everyone on this thread.:bigsmile:

:sad: Barbara, sorry to hear that you've been sick :cry: :cry:

:bigsmile: today the dogs are in charge of my exercise:laugh: I walked them individually on the hill first thing this morning, then after breakfast took them for an 80 minute walk in the rain so they could race around and bark at birds, I spent some time cleaning out old files and now that my lunch is done, we'll be heading for the dog park where it will be muddy and wet but not longer raining.:bigsmile:
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Natalie - Here a few from Allrecipes.com. I have used the first one and loved it but then it has the spices that we like. I added a couple others that may suit you better. If you don't like any of these, there are several more on this web site. Sage and garlic is also a good spice combination. It just depends on what flavors you prefer. The main thing is to not overcook the meat and keep it moist. Tenderloin is a very lean meat and you can dry it out easily.

Hope this helps. :smile:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/garlic-herb-grilled-pork-tenderloin/detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/tangy-grilled-pork-tenderloin/detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/grilled-pork-tenderloin/detail.aspx

Faye

Faye, thank you for your reply, there was also one that was teryaki that looked really good, but the secret is marinade, then grilling, just put it in a pan, and place on the grill???
    natalie
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Lorri – Don't you just love PB2? :tongue: I found some in a peanut warehouse store in GA this spring and got some thinking I would find a use for it. One of my two jars almost gone. I mix a tablespoon or two in my plain Greek yogurt. Yummy! I will have to try it in a smoothie.

Barbara – Oh my! I was wondering where you were. Bad potato salad – shudder. :sick: You must be weak as a kitten. Glad you are on the mend now.

Barbie – I too so agree with your latest excerpt from The Thin Commandments.:bigsmile: Learning how to get control over what I put in my mouth is essential to my happiness as a person. I used to be in that place and am there again most days. More importantly, I know how to get back to that place in my head when I slip up, which fortunately is seldom now. I am a much happier, more confident person, than I was a year ago. I just need to remember this when I get discouraged with the slow weight loss. It just doesn't matter, as long as I am eating in a healthy and controlled manner. Eventually I will get to where I am meant to be weight wise. I have finally decided on a statement for my signature. I using yours with a twist, if you don't mind.

I really, really do appreciate you all. What a great support group! :flowerforyou:

On a totally different subject – the bluebird babies fledged last week.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I kept forgetting to tell you all.

One day I looked out and there were three cute bluebirds taking touch and go flying lessons and hanging out between times in a close by tree. The really cool, and also odd, thing happened a few days ago. I was a little late in removing the nest, as all the experts say you should do. They say bluebirds won't reuse a nest and that leaving it in the box encourages house sparrows to nest in the box. Well, I went out a couple days ago to clean it out and there were two bluebird eggs in it!:noway: Now there are five!

I think it is unusual for them to nest this late in the year here in north Florida; I will have to see what the "experts" say on the matter but they are giving it a go. I hope the heat and smoke don't do them in. I can't imagine five babies and mom in that little box! I would think the poor things would roast. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I can get myself out there and get some pictures of them this time.

Enjoy your weekend! :drinker:

P.S. Oops - that isn't Barbies signature statement I'm borrowing and altering...

Faye