Senior Golden Sneakers..........June, 2011

Options

Replies

• tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Marilyn said:
    Good morning ladies, just a quickie. Taking a break from walking today, yesterday on the way home I thought I would not make it, my legs and feet were hurting bad. Took a good half hour for the throbbing in the feet to stop, once I got home and into my recliner. Heading down for my exercises now, so take care everyone and be true to yourself.:heart:
    Marilyn

I was having similar problems with my legs and feet. Once I got some new walking shoes, it all improved dramatically. I bought Asics - a brand I had never heard of - and I really like them. I tried on a dozen different models and then, like magic, the last pair I tried on fit me like they had been on my feet when I was born.

Now I can walk three to four miles without a problem. I won't say I'm not pooped out, but nothing hurts more than it should.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Marilyn, sometimes the arch is not lined up with your arch, or the toe box is not wide enough or high enough for your forefoot, or even the heelback is too high or too low! Connie is absolutely correct about trying on, not only different makes, but even different styles in each brand, until it feels totally comfortable in the store! I always was able to buy New Balance online, since they had a style just made for my foot. No longer, as they are now made elsewhere, and the last has changed! In my walking days, I used to order 1/2 dozen pair of walking sneakers at a time so I always had a ready pair when one wore out after about 3 months time. I used to walk between 5 and 7 miles an hour every single morning. Now, I still have a couple of pair left since I can no longer walk the way I used to, so these may last a lifetime! But do take Connie's advice and find a decent store carrying several brands of sneakers and a GOOD fitter, at least the first time.
    And keep up your walking; you are doing great! :drinker:
    Buzz
  • Jake45
    Jake45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Sandy, about your list of why dogs are better than wives

it's twooo, it's twoo :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BUMP :flowerforyou: I am so out of the loop. Have a lot of catching up to do!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Pigquiltter Here is the link to the quilt I am making . I am doing it in black and white with red accents. Hopefully just like the one she made
    http://valentinequiltworks.blogspot.com/2009/02/disappearing-9-patch-quilt.html
    marie
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good night to you all. Tomorrow I am going for a hair cut, pedicure and manicure. I know it is kind of a waste to get a manicure this time of year with my hands in the dirt so much but my nails really need some attention. I need to do a better job at applying the nail hardener regularly and perhaps they wouldn't break so much. I always try to let them grow a little longer before a manicure so that they have something to work with but of course, that is when they break! Oh well, nothing like pampering yourself to make you feel good!! I will follow it up with a trip to the bookstore and grab some lunch in the restaurant there. They have wonderful salads and a roasted vegi wrap that suits me fine. Somehow it seems ok to sit in the bookstore restaurant all by myself with my book. Then I have a few errands to do and won't be tempted by foods I shouldn't have.

Sorry I am once again not doing personals but it doesn't mean I am not thinking about you all. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gayla...how wonderful to get pampered and I hope you have a wonderful time. I am thinking seriously of getting a massage. I can get one with a coupon for only $15.00. I have just not scheduled one yet.

:flowerforyou: Buzz....walking between 5 and 7 miles in an hour per day was great. I am not sure I could do this. What are you doing now that you don't walk?

I found out that we can add our foods and exercises the next day. Just click on the calender for the previous day and enter your information. MFP will still keep good track of things for us.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Morning,

Looks like rain today and tomorrow and its heating up.

I purchased these strappy black sandles with a heel at Sears Catalogue.
    I put them on and the buckle broke. Luckily I knew the girl at the desk (small town)
    because I didn't have the receipt. She did her magic and returned them and
    ordered a second pair. Today I got up and put them on and the buckle broke
    again. I think this is a manufacturers flaw. So I will return them tomorrow and
    just get a credit. Very frustrating :grumble:
    I am wearing my new shoes I bought for a wedding in August so I will have to
    be careful with them.
    Going to lunch with a cooworker today who used to work here, and I think I will wear my
    running shoes.

Another busy weekend coming up we are going to see my mother in law up North,
    meaning Northern Ontario, she is 85. My hubby usually has a list of things to get
    done for her. Now our visits are usually working visits to take care of the house etc.
    We are bringing another couple with us and my girlfriend and I will go shopping one
    day and the boys will fish. I love to fish too but my girlfriend has bad knees and
    can't get into the boat. I am going to have to ask her from now on if she wants some
    work done too instead of just visiting. I hope the weather is nice and sunny.

Hubby was supposed to attend a conference this week for work, but one of his
    customers is having trouble with parts so he is staying back until he gets this
    job done. (he is in sales).

Have a wonderful day and I will leave you with this:

BE OPEN TO POSSIBILITY.

Sorry I don't answer every post either, but with still working the time
    isn't there. I do read all your posts everyday. :bigsmile:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to leave my 2 cents worth in for today.

Have not heard any more from SIL so she must be doing a little better. I hope they put he rin a nursing home so some one can take cre of he. Her Kids seemd to not have time for her. They both work so really it is hard. Jerry brother keeps an eye on her.

Have me a perdect day yesterday. Just had my 3 meals and no snacks. And no high or ow blood sugar. Didn't even need my bedime snack. Now if i can balance my meals and insulin like that everyday I could lose some of this fat. I am working on it.

Gayla sounds like you will have a pleasant day.

Shirley So nice to see you go and check on your mother.

We had a nice rain during the night so nice and a little cooler this morning.

Well better get up and prepared my meal. for lunch
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Shirley...I agree, there must be a defect in those shoes. I would be looking to buy something different. It is getting muggy hot here, also. The sort of heat that makes it difficult to breath.

:flowerforyou: CALIECAT...It is always nice to read your two cents worth.:smile:

I am sitting here on my lunch hour wandering what to have for dinner. Any suggestions?
  • janenashville
    Options
    Glad to see comments from everyone. Enjoy reading them very much. Went to doctor today for checkup and seem okay. Just started raining in Nashville luckily after I got back. Everyone take care.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: cleanse day yesterday went well.......the menu for the day is four ounces of the herbal cleanse beverage at 8AM, noon, 4 PM and 8 PM........lots of water....a healthy juice called Ionix Supreme in the morning, some Isagenix chocolate wafer snacks that help regulate blood sugar, a drink called Want More Energy with some calcium powder, and four yummy chocolates called IsaDelights spaced through the day.......at 4 PM I mix the cleanse powder with powdered greens, powdered fruits, and want more energy powder and put it with water and ice in the blender.......it's a low calorie day so I don't plan a lot of major activities for the day, but even so I walked the dogs for over an hour in the morning and walked with them at the dog park for almost an hour a little later and did some important paperwork (and took a nap). It's a cellular cleanse that cleans out impurities and makes the body run more efficiently......when I was first losing weight I did a cleanse day once a week, now I do them about twice a month.

:flowerforyou: I am making good progress going through all the paperwork for all the houses we've owned......there are three big garbage bags full of shredded paper and a couple of boxes of less critical paper stacked for recycling.....the next big job will be all the income tax papers dating back to 1968 when I filed my first return.......as a side note to this, when I went through my mother's papers after she died, she had all her income tax returns dating back to 1935 when she filed her first return.:laugh:

:bigsmile: it's a beautiful day today, Jake has already cut the grass and trimmed all the edges:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy breakfast:

QthCnl.jpg

Lettuce, 2 egg omlette with romano cheese. I use 1/4 C egg white, and 1/4 C liquid eggs, two tablespoons of cheese and a huge handful of lettuce. 157 calories, including the melon.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers, I'm sorry I disappeared off again. I had what I think was food poisoning after last week's pizza and it took me until yesterday to begin to feel normal (whatever that is!!!):bigsmile: ) and have lived on dry crackers and wholemeal bagels. Every time I felt peckish and tried something different my stomach would revolt and I'd be back to square one. It certainly wasn't worth logging my diary. Pizza is now on my list with fish and chips as a no-no!! OK, that's me off the pity pot I borrowed (or did I steal it!) from Sandy!!

Sandy ~ You're a STAR for reaching your goal and an inspiration to us all. I'm so pleased for you.

Marie ~ Sorry to hear you are suffering in the heat. I've another MFP friend in Texas who has been telling me much the same. Cool and showery here so I'm just a little jealous although I know after a couple of sleepless nights in the heat I'd want these showers back!!

Jane ~ Hello and sorry to be late with my welcome to you. You'll be fine here as everyone is so supportive and there's plenty of advice to be found. Stay with us and you'll hopefully soon see the pounds begin to come off.:flowerforyou:

Judi ~ If you're like me it won't be long before alcohol doesn't come into the equation. I too found that if I had a glass of wine I'd want crisps and cheesey bits as the two just went together. Two weeks is great, well done and a couple more and you'll know you can do without.

Buzz ~ Sometimes these computer security systems think they know what we want or need without asking. Is it blocking your regular programmes thinking they're a threat? If so I think you need to get into it's properties so you can give it a list of allowable programmes. As for your sagging face, mine was doing that before I began to lose weight and I can honestly say a lot of the surplus areas that were heading south are no longer on my face so be brave, exercise your face regularly by blowing out your cheeks and upper and lower mouth, stick your chin in the air when no one's looking and you should firm up AND lose weight!!:heart:

Connie ~ That omlette looks delicious and I love the idea of having savoury and sweet foods on the same plate.

Hello to everyone else I've not mentioned here. I will be checking in between Wimbledon's matches and any gardening I can manage between rain showers. I'm hoping to swim tomorrow as we are going in an hour later to try to avoid any change in the timetable this week. I won't be a happy bunny if they turn us away again!!

Time to shut my hens away for the night before Mr Fox walks on by.:noway:

Jackie
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    Marie--Thank you for the link!:flowerforyou: I've added it to my favorites and sent it to my quilter friend. I'm thinking it could possibly be used with my stash of batiks.............hmmmmmm......

Gayla--I LOVE manicure and pedicure days! I was a chronic nail biter into my 40's and when I got braces at that time my dentist said I had to stop biting. I've found if I have my nails done I don't bite them. I have a wonderful young woman who loves to do fun things on them. This is goofy, but I'm going to post a pic of my latest "finger art". Ok, and talk about pampering, on days when I have my early appointment I come straight from my workout & she stops at McD's and gets oatmeal for me & has a cup of coffee waiting!:happy:

Barbie--I'm jealous of your beautiful day! We are gray, cloudy, cool and sounds like rest of week will be the same. MN summers are short anyway and June is almost gone and haven't really had summer yet. :sad:

Jane--Welcome to this group, they are my lifeline:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

30 years ago at this time I had been in labor for almost 16 hours, in the hospital for the very first time, and then in an ambulance with oxygen and an IV to a hospital 30 miles away. :ohwell: There is a big birthday party tonight and I can't say I'm looking forward to it, I doubt my son will talk to me after Saturday's episode, but like I told my husband today I will love my son forever I just don't know when I will be able to like him again, but I just can't let him drag me back to that dark place where I go to food for comfort.

Had a fun morning with my darling grandson & dil. I'd registered him in a 2 hour camp for 2.5 to 6 year olds at the athletic club I belong to. "Mr. Social" who turned 2, in April but looks an talks like he's a couple years older was talking to everyone while we were waiting to go in. When it came time to go in he had a meltdown. and started crying. I left the room and my dil stayed for awhile and we waited outside out of his line of vision. Jodi, the person in charge, was awesome and told us it would be ok, but after an hour of crying we took him out, I didn't want him to ruin the camp for all of the kids. Bless her heart, the person in charge told us not to give up & we should bring him back to camp next week! We went to this awesome bakery for breakfast/lunch & go figure, my dil said he talked about Jodi and the kids the whole way there!:noway: I had a bowl of the best oatmeal I have ever had in a restaurant (I've had a LOT of it) and a bowl of fruit. Yum yum yum:smile:

Well, better get back to work. Laundry is waiting. :indifferent:
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    HI SNEAKER PALS, I'm writing FROM MY CUTE LITTLE DORM ROOM IN VIRGINIA! (NOT) I had forgotten how dorm rooms are. But heck I can't complain.. IT"S FREE! And anyway I am mostly not in this room. They are keeping us so busy. Workshops all day, and then tours and fun all night Just got back from a four hour visit to Old Town Alexandria. So many cute little shops and interesting houses and buildings and fun to just sit at the water front (Potomac River) and visit with an old friend from Cairo that happens to live close to here.

I have a confession to make: I had only 5 minutes to grab something from the cafeteria before the bus left to take us to Old town tonight so instead of a nice salad or something like veggies that would have taken time to put on a plate, I grabbed a piece of cheese pizza in a napkin and ran up the hill to catch the bus. Made it just in time!! Whoooo Then while walking around my friend and I stopped for an ice cream cone. I had raspberry sherbet! It was pretty good too but not on the list of healthy foods that I should be putting in my body. In the end of the day, I was still under the 1200 cals so I guess I will not look back and fret. I have an apple and banana in my purse so I can eat on of those before bed that will put me up to 1200 cals.

So I think it was Barb or Sandy..( sorry I am losing my mind on who asked ) asked me if my husband was coming to the states. with me. Answer: He usually does come with me but usually he comes a few weeks after me. Gives me time to spend with my parents alone before he comes but this year I am not sure if he will come or not. He is remodeling one of our apartments and there is a lot of work to do. I hope he will come at least for a few weeks so he can attend our annual MEP! That is what we call our famiiy reunion. M = MaryLou, my mom E= EARL, my dad, and P= Posterity.... ALL the rest of us. so we call it MEP and we call ourselves the MEPPERS! We have the best reunions in the world camping for about 3-4 days. There are about 100 of us now with extended family members. This year will be the first for my daughter to bring her husband. He is in for a surprise of his life! First of all it is his first time in the states..That alone will be a shock for him.

Well I better get to bed!! 3 more days of workshops and then I get to see my parents!!!!!! YIPPEE!
    Love ya Phylis
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Marie, you asked if I walked both dogs together. The answer is yes and no.:laugh: First thing in the morning I put on my clothes and walk one dog at a time up the grassy hill to "do business". Then I eat my breakfast and take both of them for a walk around the neighborhood for about an hour. I put "gentle leaders" on them so them don't pull too hard when they get excited by birds, cats, dogs, and people. Even so, it is a good full body workout for me because they often get excited and pull on their leashes. Our neighborhood has about a mile of paved private roads, some cats, a lot of birds, a few walkers with and without dogs, and a few people in cars.:bigsmile: It's harder to walk them in the afternoon or evening when there is a lot more going on.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,116 Member
    Options
    Jack decided to go skiing with his buddy, Bob. So they loaded up
    Jack's minivan and headed north.

After driving for a few hours, they got caught in a terrible blizzard.
    So they pulled into a nearby farm and went to the door and asked the attractive lady who answered the door if they could spend the night.

'I realize it's terrible weather out there and I have this huge house all to myself, but I'm recently widowed,' she explained.. 'I'm afraid the neighbors will talk if I let you stay in my house.'

'Don't worry,' Jack said. 'We'll be happy to sleep in the barn. And if
    the weather breaks, we'll be gone at first light.' The lady agreed, and
    the two men found their way to the barn and settled in for the night.

Came morning, the weather had cleared, and they got on their way.
    They enjoyed a great weekend of skiing.

But about nine months later, Jack got an unexpected letter from
    an attorney. It took him a few minutes to figure it out, but he
    finally determined that it was from the attorney of that attractive
    widow he had met on the ski weekend.

He dropped in on his friend Bob and asked,
    'Bob, do you remember that good-looking widow from the farm
    we stayed at on our ski holiday up north about nine months ago?'
    'Yes, I do.' Said Bob.

'Did you, happen to get up in the middle of the night, go up to the
    house and pay her a visit?'

'Well, um, yes!,' Bob said, a little embarrassed about being found out,
    'I have to admit that I did.'

'And did you happen to give her my name instead of telling her
    your name?'

Bob's face turned beet red and he said,
    'Yeah, look, I'm sorry, buddy. I'm afraid I did.' 'Why do you ask?'
    'She just died and left me everything.'

(And you thought the ending would be different, didn't you?...
    you know you smiled...now keep that smile for the rest of the day!)
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the smile Sandy! I thoroughly enjoyed my day today but I will confess my eating plan hit a speed bump so I guess it is back on the wagon in the morning. I had a new hairdresser and am happy with the results. I have a lot of waves and cow licks in my hair so I know it isn't easy to cut so am always happy when a new person gets it right away. I am sure when I try to style it there will be some issues but after all, it is only hair.

Becky -- go and get that massage!! What a deal that is.

Barbie -- if only I could muster up half of your determination!

Phylis -- It sounds like your food choices were decent. No one said the food couldn't taste good! My problem would be the stopping at one piece of pizza!!

Marie -- Hope your sil is doing better. Glad the blood sugars are under control today.

piquilter -- It sounds like you have found someone who really knows how to pamper. Hang on to her!! If you can go to the party without it putting you over the edge (food wise) I think you may feel better to go. Don't let him drag you into an argument. There will be time to explore hurt feelings somewhere down the road. It sounds like you have a nice relationship with his wife so hopefully that will be helpful in mending some fences along the way.

Take care everyone. Gayla :heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gayla...I received a coupon for half off a massage. That is how I got such a good deal. Problem is...I have not found anyone who has gotten one. At least not at the YMCA where I have the coupon. I want to know what to expect, what to wear, etc.

:flowerforyou: Sandy...you are so right. I did think there would be a different ending. That was so funny.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Phyllis, an occasional cheese pizza is alright. As long as you don't make it a daily habit. And, the sherbert would be better than full blown, fatty ice cream. Glad that you stayed within your calories.

:flowerforyou: piquilter..how does it feel to have a child in their 30s? My oldest is 41. Now, that makes me feel old.