Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I started an all natural (no processed foods) diet today. I didn't realize there was a name for it. It was recommended by my trainer, and I think its a healthy choice.

I'm sticking to fruits/veggies/lean meats and seafood. The carbs I am eliminating will be made up with natural sugars from fruit. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period, but I can't see anything wrong with it. If it helps kick me into gear, I'm all for it.

Do what works for you and keeps you healthy. Good luck!
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Kinda curious how grains cause inflammation and in what context that word is begin used?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

All of your links compare whole grains to refined grains, NONE compare grain based diets with diets based on no grains. So pretty much your post is a strawman that has no bearing with the subject at hand. I AGREE whole grains are better than refined grains. You win. LOL

My post wasn't intended to compare whole grains vs. no grains not was I trying to "win" anything. I believe that you can follow the Paleo diet and be healthy and I've never said otherwise. I just object to the spreading of false information, such as whole grains are bad for you (you not meaning any one person in particular, just "you" as a general term). They are not and the posts support my argument. I kind of like the strawman reference though (straw, grain, funny). :smile:

Actually the links support that whole grains are "better" for you, not good for you.

No, they support that they are good for you.

From the Harvard link:

"By keeping the stool soft and bulky, the fiber in whole grains helps prevent constipation, a common, costly, and aggravating problem. It also helps prevent diverticular disease (the development of tiny pouches inside the colon that are easily irritated and inflamed) by decreasing pressure in the intestines."

"An intriguing report from the Iowa Women's Health Study linked whole-grain consumption with fewer deaths from noncardiac, noncancer causes. Compared with women who rarely or never ate whole-grain foods, those who had at least two or more servings a day were 30 percent less likely to have died from an inflammation-related condition over a 17-year period "

"In a study of more than 160,000 women whose health and dietary habits were followed for up to 18 years, those who averaged 2 to 3 servings of whole grains a day were 30 percent less likely to have developed type 2 diabetes than those who rarely ate whole grains"

From mayo clinic:
    "Hailed as the "staff of life" for their historical importance to human survival, grains are an essential part of a healthy diet."

From webmd:
    "We all know we're supposed to eat more whole grains. We know they're "good" for us (full of fiber, phytochemicals, and vitamins and minerals)."
    "Frankly, we are only just realizing the nutritional fallout from almost eliminating whole grains from our diet over the past hundred years."
    "After analyzing data from more than 15,000 people aged 45-65, researchers from the University of Minnesota School of Public Health found that as whole-grain intake went up, total mortality (the rate of death from all causes) went down"
    "One study found that women who ate three or more servings of whole-grain foods a day had significantly lower body mass indexes (BMIs) than those eating less than one serving a day. (This was found in men, too, but the link was more significant in women.)"

***there is a lot more on there but I guess if you really wanted to know you could just read the articles.

Like I said, better for you. I understand what you are saying, and what the studies are saying, but it doesn’t seem that you understand the base line here. When they say whole grains are good for you, good for you compared to what? The base line is a standard American diet, which is loaded with processed grains, sugars and other junk.

I really like this line, “decreased mortality from all causes” well it seems that eating whole grains will protect you from getting shot in a drive by. LOL This is the same, and may I add, lame, line of reasoning used by vegetarians. As a group veggies are healthier than the average American, the average American eats meat, therefore eating meat is unhealthy, or eating only veggies is more healthy than eating meat. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. There is a lot that goes along with it, like it takes a huge commitment to be a vegetarian, people that are able to make that commitment are also more likely to lead a “healthier” life all around, more exercise, don’t smoke, don’t do a lot of things that contribute to health related mortality. Same thing with whole grains, I would hazard a guess that most people that eat whole grains are more health conscious, therefore they are more healthy. But again what is your base line, more healthy than who? It is my contention that grains are more harmful to most people than they are beneficial, and that even if they are not harmful, they don’t even come close to being the best option, for anything you can name, other than maybe taste, for people that are addicted to grains. Fiber is better obtained through veggies, protein through meat, vitamins and minerals through meat, veggies and fruits, carbs through veggies and fruits, all are much, much better options than grains.
  • freerange
    Options
    Kinda curious how grains cause inflammation and in what context that word is begin used?

Here is a quick goggle find.

http://www.mymusclesinmotion.com/blog/?p=10
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    But again what is your base line, more healthy than who? It is my contention that grains are more harmful to most people than they are beneficial, and that even if they are not harmful, they don’t even come close to being the best option, for anything you can name, other than maybe taste, for people that are addicted to grains. Fiber is better obtained through veggies, protein through meat, vitamins and minerals through meat, veggies and fruits, carbs through veggies and fruits, all are much, much better options than grains.

This is right on the money! From your previous comment about vegetarians, taking into the fact they are eating only "vegetarian", they are likely trying to be "health conscious." That can't be said, necessarily, for the average grain eater. Yes, there ARE very health conscious people who eat grains, monitor their weight and exercise with NO problems but I BET that's NOT the lion's share of the population. People on this site may be able to get away with the overuse of grains, etc but this is a weight loss/ health site. The average layman who is pigging down the grains, etc probably isn't monitoring their health.
  • bcattoes
    Options

All of your links compare whole grains to refined grains, NONE compare grain based diets with diets based on no grains. So pretty much your post is a strawman that has no bearing with the subject at hand. I AGREE whole grains are better than refined grains. You win. LOL

My post wasn't intended to compare whole grains vs. no grains not was I trying to "win" anything. I believe that you can follow the Paleo diet and be healthy and I've never said otherwise. I just object to the spreading of false information, such as whole grains are bad for you (you not meaning any one person in particular, just "you" as a general term). They are not and the posts support my argument. I kind of like the strawman reference though (straw, grain, funny). :smile:

Actually the links support that whole grains are "better" for you, not good for you.

No, they support that they are good for you.

From the Harvard link:

"By keeping the stool soft and bulky, the fiber in whole grains helps prevent constipation, a common, costly, and aggravating problem. It also helps prevent diverticular disease (the development of tiny pouches inside the colon that are easily irritated and inflamed) by decreasing pressure in the intestines."

"An intriguing report from the Iowa Women's Health Study linked whole-grain consumption with fewer deaths from noncardiac, noncancer causes. Compared with women who rarely or never ate whole-grain foods, those who had at least two or more servings a day were 30 percent less likely to have died from an inflammation-related condition over a 17-year period "

"In a study of more than 160,000 women whose health and dietary habits were followed for up to 18 years, those who averaged 2 to 3 servings of whole grains a day were 30 percent less likely to have developed type 2 diabetes than those who rarely ate whole grains"

From mayo clinic:
    "Hailed as the "staff of life" for their historical importance to human survival, grains are an essential part of a healthy diet."

From webmd:
    "We all know we're supposed to eat more whole grains. We know they're "good" for us (full of fiber, phytochemicals, and vitamins and minerals)."
    "Frankly, we are only just realizing the nutritional fallout from almost eliminating whole grains from our diet over the past hundred years."
    "After analyzing data from more than 15,000 people aged 45-65, researchers from the University of Minnesota School of Public Health found that as whole-grain intake went up, total mortality (the rate of death from all causes) went down"
    "One study found that women who ate three or more servings of whole-grain foods a day had significantly lower body mass indexes (BMIs) than those eating less than one serving a day. (This was found in men, too, but the link was more significant in women.)"

***there is a lot more on there but I guess if you really wanted to know you could just read the articles.

Like I said, better for you. I understand what you are saying, and what the studies are saying, but it doesn’t seem that you understand the base line here. When they say whole grains are good for you, good for you compared to what? The base line is a standard American diet, which is loaded with processed grains, sugars and other junk.

I really like this line, “decreased mortality from all causes” well it seems that eating whole grains will protect you from getting shot in a drive by. LOL This is the same, and may I add, lame, line of reasoning used by vegetarians. As a group veggies are healthier than the average American, the average American eats meat, therefore eating meat is unhealthy, or eating only veggies is more healthy than eating meat. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. There is a lot that goes along with it, like it takes a huge commitment to be a vegetarian, people that are able to make that commitment are also more likely to lead a “healthier” life all around, more exercise, don’t smoke, don’t do a lot of things that contribute to health related mortality. Same thing with whole grains, I would hazard a guess that most people that eat whole grains are more health conscious, therefore they are more healthy. But again what is your base line, more healthy than who? It is my contention that grains are more harmful to most people than they are beneficial, and that even if they are not harmful, they don’t even come close to being the best option, for anything you can name, other than maybe taste, for people that are addicted to grains. Fiber is better obtained through veggies, protein through meat, vitamins and minerals through meat, veggies and fruits, carbs through veggies and fruits, all are much, much better options than grains.

Twist it how you want but there are several medical studies showing that no matter what else they eat (and for studies done in America most of the people probably are eating more refined grains) people who eat whole grains are generally healthier. But because eating habits were studied but not altered (e.g. one group was not told to eat this and the other that) is no reason to discount the study. Correction - studies. As several have shown eating whole grains are good for you. That does not mean you can't be healthy without eating them. But it does mean that eating them ups the average person's odds of being healthy.

And the studies do suggest that whole grain fiber has health benefits that veggies and fruits don't. The opposite is also true, veggie and fruits contain health benefits that grains don't. Which is why it's good to eat both.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Sorry for lack of personal research, but what are the supposed weight loss benefits of Paleo? Not speaking in terms of overall health, I'm talking weight loss. I am just curious.
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Here is a quick goggle find.

http://www.mymusclesinmotion.com/blog/?p=10

Thanks for that.

I won't disagree with the Paleo diet, but I do with the interpretation of its rational. Also calling lectins posions is an inaccurate oversimplification.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    ...I'm sorry but when the NHS labels this as a fad diet that puts me off a little.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/05May/Pages/Cavemanfaddiet.aspx
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Sorry for lack of personal research, but what are the supposed weight loss benefits of Paleo? Not speaking in terms of overall health, I'm talking weight loss. I am just curious.

I believe it is similar to the ‘Primal Blueprint’ lifestyle. Basically you are staying away from processed/chemically altered carbs and sugar (more or less what I call 'junk foods') and you are eating more organic veggies, oils, and better quality organic meats and wild caught fish; thus you lose weight depending on your activity level and your sugar-insulin/carb intake.

My insight on the subject:
    I used to have what I call ‘kill-me-now’ migraines three or more times a week and horrible, HORRIBLE, GERD. After switching to the 'Primal Lifestyle' and staying away from dairy, processed carbs, and sugars while switching to organic veggies and meats...I not only feel great and lost weight, but I have not had a single migraine nor any GERD symptoms! I can actually eat tomato sauce, hot salsa/peppers, and drink coffee(without sugar) now. It's a wonderful feeling not having to worry about what I can't consume because of GERD. And if I do happen to slip up and eat something sugary like small bite of fudge or a donut, I feel my GERD flare up almost instantaneously and I get a headache, then I'm sick for the rest of the day!

I truly believe in this 'lifestyle'. It is not a 'fad', and it is only as strict as you are willing to take it. I don’t ‘go by the book’, but I understand the concept and for me it works and it just -makes sense- ... Eat more natural foods and less chemically altered or processed foods...If nothing else, just read the ingredients of what you are eating. Don’t worry about calories, fats, carbs, or sugars at first. Just focus on what you are putting into your body. You know the saying, ‘You are what you eat'? You also might be surprised when what you think is natural, truly isn’t. Be aware of packaging and advertisements.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    ...I'm sorry but when the NHS labels this as a fad diet that puts me off a little.

Interesting article. No time now, but I'm going to read it all later.
  • freerange
    Options

I totally agree, that was a stupid study, I would be put off too. There is much better information out there if you look for it.
  • freerange
    Options

Weight loss benefits? Good question, if you are trying to lose weight, this is a low carb type diet. Low carb diets have the benefits of turning your body into a fat burning machine instead of a carb burning machine. It helps curb you craving for carbs, keeps you satiated and gives you energy.
  • freerange
    Options

That does not mean you can't be healthy without eating them. But it does mean that eating them ups the average person's odds of being healthy.

We are in total agreement, for the average person. Like I said before, if you are going to do the everything in moderation, I would suggest whole grains over refined grains.
  • freerange
    Options
    And the studies do suggest that whole grain fiber has health benefits that veggies and fruits don't. The opposite is also true, veggie and fruits contain health benefits that grains don't. Which is why it's good to eat both.

I missed that please provide quote where they suggest grains have benefits over veggies.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

I missed that please provide quote where they suggest grains have benefits over veggies.

Okay...before you slam me...I'm fine with Paleo/Primal. I also agree with you...but here is something you may not have thought of...

If you were a vegetarian (like I am)...grains (along with legumes and pulces) provide the bulk of the amino acids needed for a properly functioning body. If however you're on Paleo/Primal grains are not needed as you are able to consume protein from flesh. You get plenty of fiber, vitamins, minerals...ect from the veggies.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I eat Primal/Paleo 2.0. I have just added my body fat percentage as well as other data to my profile. Anyone who wants to look at this medically/scientifically is welcome to friend me (put Paleo or what you are interested in as part of the message). Then you can have a look at my before/after pics and discuss the dramatic medical changes to my body.

I would not have written the books that inform the Paleo/Primal movements/labels. I would have written this from a completely different view point. Still, I cannot argue with the results. After forty years of suffering with a weak, sick body that became morbidly obese in my twenties, I now know how to eat to thrive. My weight is effortlessly melting off, my strength is soaring, my GERD is disappearing, and most importantly of all, by every metric my doctor can measure I am getting well.

Two years ago, I could not walk, now I can run a 5K. My daughter is growing up in the lifestyle that she saw transform me from dying to living. She is thriving. My diabetic, insulin dependent friend is now off insulin and other meds, has found this lifestyle to support better blood sugar management and has dropped 50 lbs in less than 5 months. She is also recovering from a stroke caused by eating according to conventional wisdom for diabetics. She plans to continue this way of life because she is so much happier.

I am interested in anyone who is having success using different tools, as well. I don't believe that one solution should be expected to solve everyone's challenges. I am delighted that for me, Primal/Paleo 2.0 is succeeding in accomplishing my health goals.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    I recently talked to someone who was on a Paleo Diet - Paleolithic (Yep like the cave man) It sounds sort of interesting... You eat anything that you could hunt or gather. No dairy, sugar, beans, etc... Not really sure on the specifics.

The main interest to me was the amount of bacon that she eats and still looses weight. I mean, a lot of bacon. She has lost 18lbs.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are.

Feel free to add me as a friend!!! - I need all of the motivation that I can get.

:) Kait

Hey Kait!

I've been primal for over 2 months now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I was on the food pyramid eating a low-fat, whole grain based diet and I got to points where I was blacking out and shaking all the time. I couldn't eat enough and was starving all the time even though it was all healthy food. Since I have been Primal, I have lost fat, increased my muscle mass, increased energy, decreased my fibromyalgia symptoms, got rid of heart burn, have improved my overall quality of life, and best of all I'm NOT STARVING. I think you probably have gotten all the info from previous posters on what the basic lifestyle entails, so I won't repeat it. But the real question you have to answer for yourself is "WHY???"

Why do people who cut out grains/sugar/starch vegetables/legumes able to lose weight?
    Why do they have more energy?
    Why are they able to get off their insulin and other diabetic medications?
    Why do they keep their muscle mass while losing fat even though they don't have to exercise?
    Why do they get rid of their GERD?
    Why is your friend able to lose weight eating a crap load of bacon???

Personally if I found a "diet" with all these great things associated with it, I think it would be worth looking into. So, that 's what I did. I'll never go back to my previous way! If you need informational materials let me know. I have done a ton of research.
  • freerange
    Options

Okay...before you slam me...I'm fine with Paleo/Primal. I also agree with you...but here is something you may not have thought of...

If you were a vegetarian (like I am)...grains (along with legumes and pulces) provide the bulk of the amino acids needed for a properly functioning body. If however you're on Paleo/Primal grains are not needed as you are able to consume protein from flesh. You get plenty of fiber, vitamins, minerals...ect from the veggies.

I wouldn’t slam you, I can understand where you are coming from. And yes if you are not eating meats, grains and legumes are probably invaluable.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

I wouldn’t slam you, I can understand where you are coming from. And yes if you are not eating meats, grains and legumes are probably invaluable.

Keep in mind a vegetarian or vegan may have to supplement to get a complete protein profile. If I remember right, it's branch chain amino acids that need supplemented.