Things/topics that bother you the most in the forums...

Options

Replies

• Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I guess everyone is bothered by different things. Grammar and spelling is a big one for me, anyone seen the movie "Idiocracy"?
    The biggest one that gets me is watching people blindly support others even if their choices are dangerous and unhealthy. This site is about tracking calories and nutrients, not about miracle drugs, injections and 500 calorie diets. If you use these ways to lose weight, good for you but it has no place here. Maybe you can come back after you gain all of your weight back and do it the healthy way.

Really I think it is up to the site creator and not you to choose what has a place here.
    You are correct, wasn't intending to step on toes. Corrected to say that the majority of people are here to lose weight by eating healthy and exercising not to promote the use of drugs and 500 calorie diets.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    People who lose 8lbs in their first week, then 4, then 2, then one, then nothing and post OMG I'm so depressed I want to give up threads. Everyone has an easy ride the first few weeks they change their lifestyle, you really have to stick to your limits after that. I'm a poster child for that!
  • RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    -- Gender wars. I can deal with the relationship threads, just not some of the gender-bashing responses. For example, all of the folks piling on telling the poster to leave/divorce their SO. How can you make that drastic a recommendation based on one post? Professional marriage counselors can't even do that.

Don't even get me started! Every time I see a thread like this I just cringe.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    - If you want a workout plan based on your goals/equipment/experience level, hire a trainer. It's too much to type.
    - "Someone told me I should lift weights, but I'm afraid of bulking up. What should I do?"

OMG, the bulking up thing!!! That totally pisses me off when I read about it. Some of them will even say stupid crap like "just use 5 pounds weights and do like 25 reps and you won't bulk up but you will gain lean muscle." What planet does that work on???

Actually less weight/higher reps will give different results than lower reps/high weight.
  • tubbytabbytales
    tubbytabbytales Posts: 5,883
    Options
    I dunno about you guys, but people in general just irritate me.

HAHA JK

..sorta
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    There are so many, where should I start........#1) This *kitten* named TOM, I swear this jerk is always screwing with the lady folk and their diets. He seems like a real douche canoe(stole that from a friend). I don't understand why he hasn't been kicked off the site yet.

#2)Uppity people--Why can't people have fun and loose(<---I did that on purpose, for the grammar nazi's) lose weight and have a good time doing it. I think humor and laughter are two of the best factors or tools we can use in this battle of the bulge.

#3)Attackers, Trolls, mean spirited people---I can't stand it when people attack other people for their beliefs, opinions pictures, or whatever. I have had many friends that have been attacked via thread, PM and other such venues because of what the say, a progress picture or opinion and so on. This BS has to stop. Granted, this is a weight loss sight. Many people use this site for many different things, they have that right and freedom( ok, who is going to attack this statement, someone will surely argue the semantics of it). If you don't like, don't look, period. I hope to someday be able to and have the confidence to post a pic in a banana hammock if I want, to show the progress I have made(don't worry about covering your eyes, it is along way off, trust me.

#4)Seriously, If I see one more thread that asks, "Can I count my coffee, milk, juice, liquid white out, quick drying cement as water? They all have water in them," Thread, I am going to scream. Have you ever heard a Beaver scream, it aint pretty. The only thing you can count water as is water, or a form of water, I will except ice, after all it is frozen water.

#5)Man bashing, religous threads whatever--I could care less, because if the topic doesn't intrest me, I ain't gonna read it. It doesn't bother me if people have opinions about something, go for it, I may not agree with you, and if I don't, I probably won't care enough to post on your thread, please show others that same courtesy.

Seriously, just have fun. Life ain't worth living if you take it too seriously. That is all.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    5) Religion. I don't share mine with you, I don't need to hear about yours.

I know that without the touch of his noodly appendage, I wouldn't be able to do this!

28i57vl.jpg

THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!!!! OMG I'm a believer!!! lol my best friend got the little metal FSM on the back of her car, you know where the darwin fish or the jesus fish goes, and she had no idea what it was...she just thought it was "neat" I could have cuffed her upside the head...Thanx so much for posting that picture lol
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    when people say muscle weighs more than fat.

No.

if you have 5 pounds of muscle, and 5 pounds of fat sitting side by side on a table. they BOTH weigh 5 pounds. the difference is, muscle is far more dense than fat is. so it takes up less space. But it doesn't weigh less.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    *Long distance runners have no muscle
    *Carb bashers
    *People who would have you drown in your own drinking water
    *Diet pill people
    *People that act like just because they haven't heard something, it doesn't exist.
    *People bashing others for not liking their specific healthy habit

yep.. that about cover it for me too LOL :-)
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    5) Religion. I don't share mine with you, I don't need to hear about yours.

I know that without the touch of his noodly appendage, I wouldn't be able to do this!

28i57vl.jpg

THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!!!! OMG I'm a believer!!! lol my best friend got the little metal FSM on the back of her car, you know where the darwin fish or the jesus fish goes, and she had no idea what it was...she just thought it was "neat" I could have cuffed her upside the head...Thanx so much for posting that picture lol

After seeing this, I HAD to google it...OMG hilarious! I am converting as we speak!!!
  • eillims13
    eillims13 Posts: 18
    Options
    Girls bashing guys who they think are being creepy by trying to friend them. Either block them or ignore them. You just look like an attention wh*re who wants everyone to know that guys are trying to be friends with you but OMG you're just like, way too good to even give them the time of day and want everyone to know it...like, OMG.

People that call other people stupid and tell them they are doing everything wrong. Are you a doctor, RN, registered nutritionist, or personal trainer? If not than shut it and let people learn things for themselves...or answer their questions however stupid you think them to be and be supportive....You weren't born with all the amazing knowledge you posses, you had to start somewhere to...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is when people do the 'You can't eat all your exercise calories, WTF? How do you think you got overweight?!' not everyone had an eating disorder (over eater/anorexic/ect.) there are legit medical reasons that directly caused weight gain.

Lifestyle bashing (paleo hate is kind of popular- I was told because of my Celiac and lactose intolerance Paleo was OK for me but everyone is going to get a ruined liver...is my liver somehow different than everyone elses? I will also say, paleo isn't the answer for everyone and carb hate is also super popular)

Also, i've seen some man hating going on. I, personally, am kind of a fan of men, and have found them to be useful prolonging humanity...maybe that's just me.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Person 1: I've been eating within my goals, strength training, cardio training and eating back exercise cals! I gained three pounds in the last week. WHY?

Person 2: You must have gained 3 lbs of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Person 3: ACTUALLY, a pound of muscle weighs as much as a pound of fat. It doesn't weigh more, it's just more dense!

Steam pours out of my ears for both Person 2 and Person 3. Person 2 for thinking 3 lbs of muscle can magically appear in a week, and Person 3 for not keeping variables constant (i.e. volume) when comparing properties of two materials.

(Just to clarify for Person 3: you wouldn't dispute "Running gets you further than walking" because "running 1 mile is the same as walking 1 mile". You obviously keep the time variable the same...)
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    when people say muscle weighs more than fat.

No.

if you have 5 pounds of muscle, and 5 pounds of fat sitting side by side on a table. they BOTH weigh 5 pounds. the difference is, muscle is far more dense than fat is. so it takes up less space. But it doesn't weigh less.

^ I disagree! Would you dispute "butter has more calories than celery"?

With your reasoning you should, because 300 calories of butter = 300 calories of celery.

It is important that when comparing the properties of two substances to keep control variables the same, which in the case of muscle/fat is keeping the volume the same, and in the case of the butter/celery to keep the mass the same.

Hope it helps you understand! (I don't want to come across as attacking you directly... just if I can truly explain this concept to one person I'll be happy!)
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what I hate most about the forums: mammoth-sized signatures. A ticker or two is one thing. But a full side-by-side before/after pic PLUS a ticker PLUS a challenge banner is just a bit much.

+ Millions of 30DS/Zumba/etc threads
    + Lack of "search"ing. I'm new to MFP, but it's not hard to hit Search or take a trip down Google Lane before posting.
    + Crying about slow/no loss, hunger, etc when their food log is full of crap.

TL;DR - Same stuff everybody else said + dislike of mega huge sigs.
    I agree with a lot of what has been said above, and even though my responses would be the same, I will repeat them anyway. :flowerforyou:

1) I absolutely hate it when people not only tell me that carbs are evil and make you fat, but also cause you to be bloated and sick...

2) The whole "starvation mode" thing is soooo misunderstood and misused around here that it pisses me off. People honestly don't know what it is concidering that they believe eating 1100 calories will cause me to stop losing weight and actually gain fat. SMH...

3) "Waaa, waaa!!! I was doing so good but I caved in and ate a cookie!!! I am such a bad person and want to die because I ate 1 cookie today!!!" No explanation needed, but we see way too much of that kind of nonsense.

4) The people who think it is bad to go over on protein, fiber, etc. Good grief. I wonder if I should worry if I went over on vitamin C from that orange I had this morning???

5) Seriously...how many "what equipment do I need to do P90X" threads do we need? If you bought the program from a reputable place...NOT ebay, Craig's List, or Costco where there are lawsuits against them for selling fakes...then read the first page of your manual and it tells you what you need...

6) And how many people whine about P90X or Zumba not being in the exercise database on the "Suggestions" forum daily? We know you want it. If you'd have searched, you'd discovered the other 2398723874658935628345 people that want that too. It's not there, add it yourself and get over it!

7) I hate reading people's rants. They even title the thread "Sorry but I need to rant" or something like that and then they complain about all the users they don't like. Put that crap on your own page, your own blog, etc and stop cluttering the boards with it!

8) People that still think that they can do a million crunches...yet practically no other exercise and eat not-so-great...and still end up with a flat stomach.

9) People who ask for ways to spot reduce. "Even though I have about 45 pounds left to lose, all I want to do is thin out my thighs...what exercises can I do to target the thighs and nothing else?" Will people ever learn that this just isn't going to happen?

OK...I guess that's all for now. If something else comes to mind, I will be back, lol!
    Several things:

1st: people asking medical questions that they should really ask a doctor (things like: when I walk more than 10 feet blood starts pouring out of my eyes, is this normal? - This is an over-exaggeration but you get the idea)

2nd: people complaining about jokes and funny topics; the "this is a diet and fitness site not facebook" people. Lighten up, life doesn't have to be serious all the time.

3rd: people posting on topics to complain that they don't like the topic. No body is forcing you to read it, if you're watching TV and something comes on that you don't like you change the channel. Do the same with the threads, if you don't like why are you reading it?

</rant>

I'll get down off my soap box now. :embarassed:

THESE!

Also my profile used to have a whole rant about "without the flying spaghetti monster and his guidance I could never do this" for anyone looking to my page to bash me. Then I said "screw it" and made my page for friends only.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    People who start a forum topic begging for help....they don't know what to do.....help!! Tell me what I am doing wrong!! I'm not losing! And then they have their diaries PRIVATE!!
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    People who start a forum topic begging for help....they don't know what to do.....help!! Tell me what I am doing wrong!! I'm not losing! And then they have their diaries PRIVATE!!
    I like your froggy ticker
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    people who tell other people that they are going to go into starvation mode after having one day of not hitting their cals
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It bugs the ever loving *kitten* out of me when people don't know the difference between LOOSE and LOSE.

LOOSE - Hey look! My pants are LOOSE because I've been dieting!

LOSE - I'm going to LOSE my fingers if I don't pay this hooker for her fantastic services!

Learn the difference people. It's not as hard as it looks. ;)

OMG hahahahahahahahahaha agreed :laugh:

This bugs me soooooo much!! I know some people say, "let it go" or "you're not the grammar police". It is just one of my pet peeves! I posted a topic about it once...giving the definitions and pronunciations of each. The forum police quickly shut it down like I was discussing S & M or something!!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    people who post a topic, want advice, yet don't want to take your advice or support, then they turn around and make it look like you're attacking them.

people who jump up and down saying i lost weight with a diet pill. yay. um go away - this is for healthy ways of losing weight. being active and changing your lifestyle.

there is more, but i'm sure everyone has covered most of them.
    ;)