Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• momof2_0710
    momof2_0710 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hello blue team. Im with you :)

Hi,

I'm Jennifer and I'm part of the Blue Team.

Hey Everyone...I was just wondering if anyone is suffering from shin splints and how you are dealing with them..I have them and it makes it very hard for me to cardio but I still manage to get it in. I found some stretches that kind of keep the pain at bay, but I was wondering if anyone had some better ideas.

Way to Go Black Team that is an incredible loss. You guys should be so proud of yourselves.
  • natijade
    natijade Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    messaged the red team captain and the spot is taken :( So if any places open up please let me know guys? :(
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Hello blue team. Im with you :)

Hi,

I'm Jennifer and I'm part of the Blue Team.

Hey Everyone...I was just wondering if anyone is suffering from shin splints and how you are dealing with them..I have them and it makes it very hard for me to cardio but I still manage to get it in. I found some stretches that kind of keep the pain at bay, but I was wondering if anyone had some better ideas.

Way to Go Black Team that is an incredible loss. You guys should be so proud of yourselves.
    I don't get them but I've heard using an ice pack helps. Good Luck hope they go away!
  • circusmom
    Options
    Congrats to Team Black & Team Green!!! Awsome job Ladies!!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Congrats to Team Green for taking it this week! And thanks for all the congrats on our weight loss! I am so proud of every single member of this challenge for sticking it out through the first week. Y'all are an awesome group!
  • antbug21
    antbug21 Posts: 56
    Options
    messaged the red team captain and the spot is taken :( So if any places open up please let me know guys? :(

We have a member who has been MIA for 5 days so you are more than welcome to join Team Purple!

This is our Team Chat Forum http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/294055-sahmu-team-purple-closed
  • circusmom
    Options
    Holy Cow, what a morning I've had!!!! The house two doors down from me was raided. Guys with masks dressed in military style gear with semi-automatic rifles running all over. They were throwing smoke bombs and flash bangs or percussion grenades in to the house, it was like a scene from tv, only I was one driveway away. There was a military style hum-v and a black van carring like 15 guys in bullet proof vest, there were a couple dogs (big dogs). There were about 8 guys in SWAT t-shirts, and 3 sheriff deputies. All the commotion started about 8:20 this morning and ended about 10 minutes ago. I took pics, got a good one of the guys dressed kinda like military hanging off the rails all around the hum-v as it was leaving, there was like 8 of them. Not sure it would be a good idea to post them.
    Okay, now that, that is all over, laundry and cleaning seems kinda boring! Just realize with all that going on I never ate breakfast, again, WOW, what a morning.

P.S. Yes I know this isn't part of our fitness challenge, but I thought I'd post here with you guys, instead of the regular forum.
  • linake11
    linake11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here's is my emotional challenge:
    How do you handle the struggles of being the weight you are in your family?
    At this point in all of our lives, my entire immidiate family is over weight. For the most part we have always been over weight. So for me to be heavy is not really an out of sorts thing in my family. This goal of losing weight has kind of "opened" the eyes of our other family members. The struggles that I myself face, are not being able to ride certain rides at amusement parks, being able to play with the kids like I should be able to, and the BIGGEST struggle I have is shopping. I dread it!! I took my daughter in a dressing room with me to try on some clothes at Lane Bryant one night. Not only are you alread upset that you are buying bigger clothes in the first place, but when you are looking at your self in the mirror trying a size 26 pant on, and your 5 year old says to you, "Mom you're fat!" I lost it right then and there. I wasn't mad at her for saying it nor did I scold her for saying it. I guess that was my "Ah ha" moment that really got me thinking about what I was doing with my health. Which was absolutely nothing. Ever since that break down in the dressing room shopping, I don't get upset at my weight. I get happy everytime I see that scale drop. I'm glad I found this website. Im glad I found this challenge, because it's allowed me to be open to others as well as myself as to how I really feel inside and I can talk about it to others that are going through the exact same thing I am. Having the support has made this so much easier.
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    At this point in all of our lives, my entire immidiate family is over weight. For the most part we have always been over weight. So for me to be heavy is not really an out of sorts thing in my family. This goal of losing weight has kind of "opened" the eyes of our other family members. The struggles that I myself face, are not being able to ride certain rides at amusement parks, being able to play with the kids like I should be able to, and the BIGGEST struggle I have is shopping. I dread it!! I took my daughter in a dressing room with me to try on some clothes at Lane Bryant one night. Not only are you alread upset that you are buying bigger clothes in the first place, but when you are looking at your self in the mirror trying a size 26 pant on, and your 5 year old says to you, "Mom you're fat!" I lost it right then and there. I wasn't mad at her for saying it nor did I scold her for saying it. I guess that was my "Ah ha" moment that really got me thinking about what I was doing with my health. Which was absolutely nothing. Ever since that break down in the dressing room shopping, I don't get upset at my weight. I get happy everytime I see that scale drop. I'm glad I found this website. Im glad I found this challenge, because it's allowed me to be open to others as well as myself as to how I really feel inside and I can talk about it to others that are going through the exact same thing I am. Having the support has made this so much easier.

I can only imagine how hearbreaking that must have been. Thank you for sharing. And cudos for not taking your frustration and hurt out on your child as many wold have done by scolding.

You've inspired me to share my "aha" moment. Before I do let me preface this by saying that I am married to a wnderful man that is incredibly supportive of me in every way. That being said, about 2 months ago, I was feeling down one evening and saif to him "I feel so fat and ugly". He responded without hesitation "you are NOT ugly!" but all I could hear was that he didn't deny that I was fat. I was crushed. We've talked about weight before (we are both large) but the fact that he would so vehemently deny my feeling of ugliness while not commenting on my fat was the push I needed. 2 days later I started on this journey and he joined me a week and a half after that. To date he's lost over 30lbs and I've lost over 24. We are both proud of ourselves but are even prouder of one another.
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

:cry: Wow this was a great response, you are so awesome to get incouraged from this situation. Kids are amazing and so honest. While reading your story I could picture myself there, it really made me tear up. I am glad you are here with us and are able to provide motivation and support. This response it has just made me want to challenge my self even more everyday, thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Karie
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow, what a morning I've had!!!! The house two doors down from me was raided. Guys with masks dressed in military style gear with semi-automatic rifles running all over. They were throwing smoke bombs and flash bangs or percussion grenades in to the house, it was like a scene from tv, only I was one driveway away. There was a military style hum-v and a black van carring like 15 guys in bullet proof vest, there were a couple dogs (big dogs). There were about 8 guys in SWAT t-shirts, and 3 sheriff deputies. All the commotion started about 8:20 this morning and ended about 10 minutes ago. I took pics, got a good one of the guys dressed kinda like military hanging off the rails all around the hum-v as it was leaving, there was like 8 of them. Not sure it would be a good idea to post them.
    Okay, now that, that is all over, laundry and cleaning seems kinda boring! Just realize with all that going on I never ate breakfast, again, WOW, what a morning.

P.S. Yes I know this isn't part of our fitness challenge, but I thought I'd post here with you guys, instead of the regular forum.

Wow! how intense! I bet your endorphins kicked in for that, on the plus side that burns calories!
    Have a great rest of the day!
    Karie
  • natijade
    natijade Posts: 146 Member
    Options

We have a member who has been MIA for 5 days so you are more than welcome to join Team Purple!

This is our Team Chat Forum http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/294055-sahmu-team-purple-closed

Yay! I'm in!! Woo! :)
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies...

Have been thinking for a while now... on the recipe to post for the food challenge... sorry, me being a pure veggie (no fish, meat, etc), had to post a veggie recipe, very yummy and nutritional at the same time... I have also given an alternative for those who prefer non-vegetarian... Did a little bit research on the nutritional facts as well...

Palak bahar or Spinach delight- Assorted vegetables in spinach gravy (original recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor, the great Indian chef)
    Preparation time- 20 mins
    Cooking time- 20 mins
    Servings-4

Ingredients-
    Spinach blanched- 2 medium bunches
    Carrots- 2 medium
    French beans- 5-6
    Cauliflower – ½ medium florets
    Green chillies-3
    Oil- One and half tablespoons
    Ginger chopped- 1 inch piece
    Garlic chopped- 4 cloves
    Onions chopped- 1 large
    Nutmeg Powder- ¼ teaspoon
    Cumin seeds- ½ teaspoon
    Tomatoes chopped- 2 medium
    Lemon juice- 1 teaspoon
    Salt as per taste
    Red chilli powder- One and half teaspoon
    Garam masala powder- 2 teaspoons
    Fresh cilantro/ coriander leaves- 2 tablespoons

Method-
    Puree the blanched spinach along with one green chilli. Chop the remaining green chillies. Heat half the oil, add ginger and garlic and stir fry. Add onion and green chillies and stir fry till onions are pinkish in colour. Add nutmeg powder and continue cooking on medium heat for a couple of minute, stirring frequently. Add pureed spinach, cook it for a minute and add salt. Set it aside. Blanch carrots, French beans and cauliflower. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, add cumin seeds and when it starts to change colour, add tomatoes. Cook on medium heat for three to four minutes, stirring continuously. Add blanched vegetables and stir-fry lightly. Add lemon juice and season with salt and red chilli powder. Lastly add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Spread prepared spinach on a flat serving dish and place cooked vegetables in the center and serve hot.
    Notes
    • I avoid oil totally in this recipe ( instead of cumin seeds, I used cumin powder so that I don’t have to use oil in this case). Also, I cook vegetables in micro oven, that is much simpler. One more place where oil is used is before chopped ginger and garlic. Here I use ginger-garlic paste and add little water and stir.
    • Onion is dry roasted on a non stick pan , so no need to use oil here as well.
    • Garam masala gives nice flavor, but I do avoid this at times as my hubby doesn’t like too much of spices..
    You can even check the video on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrtKbsV6aI ( but note this is in Hindi- Indian language, however you can watch the recipe)

Nutritional Facts-
    Calories- 70
    Calories from fat 22
    Total fat 2.43g (4%)
    Cholesterol-7.5mg (2%)
    Sodium- 621 mg (26%)
    Potassium-8.17 mg
    Total carbo- 3.445g (1%)
    Dietary fiber 1.7g
    Sugars- 1.015g
    Protein- 5.715g
    Vitamin A-52%
    Vitamin C-2.5%
    Iron -5.17%
    Calcium-18%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    Serving size- 1/6 bowl
    Variation instead of veggies (but the calories are more- 182)

Ingredients

1 tbsp. Olive Oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    4 oz. ( 1 pkg.) lean ground turkey
    1 pkg. frozen spinach (thawed)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    .5 cup grated chedder cheese

Directions

1. Saute the onions in the olive oil
    2. add the ground turkey and brown w/ the onion.
    3. add the spinach, and stir
    4. pour the mushroom soup over the top
    5. add nutmeg, salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir
    6. stir in cheese until melted.

Makes 5 servings

Number of Servings: 5
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Emotional challenge- I have put on this extra weight for 2 reasons, I love sweets and during weddings I dont have control, I just finish those Indian sweet boxes all at once...oh gosh! so many calories... Secondly, I was a couch potato, very inactive, never bothered to check my weight, dont take food at proper intervals... Now I am all motivated and stay active all day, exercise has become my routine... Thanks to my wonderful friends here and on one more website... What I usually do is close my ears when my family speaks on weight issues and show them that I am not concerned... but actually I am a fitness freak...

Go team green!!! Yay!

Thought, let me post it before i forget...lol..oops posted in the wrong thread...silly me...hahah
  • Purplefly
    Purplefly Posts: 71
    Options
    Morning Ladies congrats all on your wins. Have a great day!
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    where are the recipes? i'm getting anxious to vote!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

:cry: Wow this was a great response, you are so awesome to get incouraged from this situation. Kids are amazing and so honest. While reading your story I could picture myself there, it really made me tear up. I am glad you are here with us and are able to provide motivation and support. This response it has just made me want to challenge my self even more everyday, thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Karie

I also got teary eyed!! But I am a sap anyway! My 6 yr old has said comments to me too...."mom, I love your squishy belly"...."why do you always put what you eat in the computer"......hard not to get upset! I don't want my kids to be embarassed by me....or my husband either! I will look so much cuter as the trim version of myself!! I can't wait to get there!
  • SunshineKB
    SunshineKB Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have felt like a victim of my weight up until around May when I started this journey. I finally know it's in my power to change this & am doing that! My husband and I are both big, and I guess part of me was just submitted to it, like "this is just the way we are, nothing can change that". We have tried losing in the past both separately and together and it just never made it to a lifestyle change. Thankfully even at my biggest, my husband truly loves me so much and makes me feel so beautiful which I am sooo thankful for! As far as extended family, neither my mom or brother are overweight (just the typical 15lbs or so) so I've always felt like...ugly, the giant, etc... And I really don't want my kids to have a "fat mom". We have really tried to lay a foundation with our children that it doesn't matter how you look, it's what's on the inside that matters..but now we are really showing them what it means to be HEALTHY and in turn, they are changing their eating/drinking habits too which is incredible to see! Even while making dinner my son will ask "Is this healthy?" So I am so excited about this change and how it's impacting our whole family!
  • antbug21
    antbug21 Posts: 56
    Options
    My Dinner Recipe for the food challenge is a Greek inspired Burger (being Greek, I thought it seemed right, lol)

Greek Fusion Burgers

Ingredients
    1 pound uncooked ground turkey breast
    2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
    1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    1/4 cup light tub-style cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
    1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 large whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved crosswise
    8 small slices tomato
    1/2 medium cucumber, cut into thin bite-size strips

Directions
    1. In a medium bowl, combine turkey, 1 teaspoon of the chile peppers, and the oregano. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick oval patties.

2. For a charcoal grill, grill patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 10 to 13 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into side of each patty registers 165 degrees F, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)

3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon chile pepper, the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onion, and salt.

4. Open cut sides of halved pita bread rounds to make pockets. Spread cream cheese mixture into pockets. Add cucumber, grilled patties, and tomato slices.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 272, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 58 mg, Sodium 473 mg, Carbohydrate 22 g, Total Sugar 3 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 33 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 11%, Calcium 9%, Iron 15%. Exchanges: Vegetable 1, Starch 1, Fat .5.
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet