for members fasting ramadan -start august 1 st

Options

Replies

• ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Right after Ramadan I'll be taking a long needed vacation with my family to sunny Florida! Can't wait to spend time in the *private* pool! I get a little pale, ya know, and it's nice to have the opportunity to get some sun! ;) I'll still be logging everyday because I don't want to lose my login count (every day since December 28, 2010)! But after vacation I will be trying super hard to add my bike back in along with some weights/resistance bands. I even have the often mentioned 30 day Shred DVD that I might brave! I'm just too tired this month and having to go to work and be somewhat productive really forces me to get some sleep instead of exercising. I'm really proud of those of you that can fit the exercise in!

I'm also very proud of all of you, who have fitted exercise in. I've been so lazy this month. I started out with good intentions, but the long fasts, lack of sleep and work have really taken their toll on me - to the point where people keep saying I look weak. After ramadaan it's gonna be business as usual.. I'm gonna beat the hell outta the gym! It would be nice to 'keep in touch' and it would be interesting to learn of. (And actually participate in!) other challenges
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    Well I dont know about everyone but I'll still be fasting after Ramadan...Will be doing the 6 days of Shawwal and before that must make up the fasts that I missed. So I'll still be fasting for half of the next month. Which is good for me, more food restraint. I'll still push through the workouts since I'll have plenty of time after breaking the fast.

Yeah I agree with creating another challenge after Ramadan, that everyone can do.
  • DiyyahBloom
    Options
    Assalamu alykum:

Ramadan Muburak to all.

I have been keeping up with this thred.

My goal for this Ramadan is to eat as clean as possible and complete the 30 day Shred. Currently, i will be completing Day 10. I have done it before but never completed so that is my main goal.

The only issue im having is my sleep patterns are getting all messed up, anyone else have this issuse.
  • fit_healthy
    fit_healthy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So sorry i haven't logged in recently, had some really bad days.

Exercise so far is

Day 1 - Shred + 50 minutes walking
    Day 2 -Shred
    Day 3-Shred + 15 minutes ab burner
    Day 4 -Shred
    Day 5 -Shred
    Day 6-Shred +33 minutes walking
    Day 7-Shred ( went over my calorie count, by alot !!!!!)
    Day 8 (no exercise at all !!!!) My alarm didn't go off so i missed sehri, so fasted a whole day as it opened at 8.38
    Day 9 -Shred
    Day 10-Shred + 15 minutes walking

I am going to do another shred tonight, as i have missed 1, and then start on level 2 tomorrow morning.

Everyone is doing really well, keep it up
  • fit_healthy
    fit_healthy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well I dont know about everyone but I'll still be fasting after Ramadan...Will be doing the 6 days of Shawwal and before that must make up the fasts that I missed. So I'll still be fasting for half of the next month. Which is good for me, more food restraint. I'll still push through the workouts since I'll have plenty of time after breaking the fast.

Yeah I agree with creating another challenge after Ramadan, that everyone can do.

I will also be fasting next month, making up fasts and doing the 6 day shawwal.
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    Assalamu alykum:

Ramadan Muburak to all.

I have been keeping up with this thred.

My goal for this Ramadan is to eat as clean as possible and complete the 30 day Shred. Currently, i will be completing Day 10. I have done it before but never completed so that is my main goal.

The only issue im having is my sleep patterns are getting all messed up, anyone else have this issuse.

You've been stalking this thread and finally decided to join us. LOL Welcome Blood Sister.
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    Asalaamu alaikum....Sorry I haven't posted in here in a while. My back is still sore...still spasming. I went to the doc on Monday and she said that one of the best ways to prevent back pain is lose weight (duh!)...and I told her I'm already working on that. She also gave me some stretching exercises to do and a muscle relaxant to take....too bad it makes me loopy and sleepy.

Today I went to the gym and worked out for about an hour total, stretching and using the elliptical. I did a little over 2 miles on the elliptical (in 30 minutes...but when I logged it here, I put "15" minutes because it represents more accurately the number of calories burned).

I have lost almost 5 lbs so far, but my official weigh-in is Friday.
  • DiyyahBloom
    Options
    YAY! i have officially completed Level 1 of the 30 day Shred. I will weigh myself tomorrow to get a result for these past ten days.

I am alternating exercise calories each day. Some days i just do the Shred which typically burns 250 calories, other days i will do the shred + a walking dvd or Turbofire, for a maxium burn of 500 calories.

Starting tomorrow i will focus on tracking my calories. InshaAllah.

Also, If any of you have facebook we have a group called "Sister's Keeping Fit" search it and join up if you want.

Keep Pushing!
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ugh i am so upset with myself, i screwed up tonight bad....i went to my moms and we grilled, and the intention was to eat chicken however i ate a burger (on a 80 cal bun) and chicken and some other stuff that i should have stayed away from...worst of all i had too much sweets today, idk why i do this to myself ..well all i can do is have a new day tomorrow i guess...
  • thinthought
    thinthought Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Salams all...
    Well as on my profile page, I had an iftar disaster last night. Cooking for a bunch of teens and I somehow got sucked in... Way to much caesar salad.... way too much. Half a hamburger...Chocolate macaroon cookies (used my oats that i eat for breakfast) so as a result ate more salad and a cookie for suhoor! What was wrong with me? Weak moment for sure!!!
    Will totally be juicing tonight and bringing it to my sister in laws for iftar this evening.
    This site (and some recent success stories) has got me motivated to do 30DS. So far so good, but my weight went up. Did anyone else notice this? After working out having a water retention? For sure I ate poorly yesterday but before that I have been on track and been on a steady decline. Not sure what's up.

Totally game for a post-Ramadan group. I will have 6 of shawaal inshAllah and whatever else I will have missed. Thoughts about what the goal should be? How about committing to being physically active every day? Most are probably already doing so eh?

loving this thread!
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So proud of my sisters on this thread- for some reason i have a feeling they are more sticking to their plans and goals than the brothers ? Or the br. are not logging ? but still that's part of our goal as well ? What's up ?

I have to comment on something.. noticed that one of the sisters had posted on her status that she is giving up logging etc until the end of ramadan because she was thinking and realized - that is not what Ramadan is about , meaning she is focusing on losing weight etc.

Some people agreed with her. And i did - to a point. I wrote it on the wall as well . Yes i agree that ramadan is about worshiping and it is only one month and we have 11 others to focus on weight loss .
    But
    I don't think that we on this thread have been really promoting " weight loss "during this month - and i don't think that's what our focus was here. Yes- if it happens- great and during ramadan we all SHOULD be losing any ways. But we did not concentrate on the weight loss on this thread. What the focus was is to :
    keep logging
    keep making healthier choices - and not the " traditional ones "
    keep moving- no matter how long or how intense - just keep moving.

this is the focus of this thread for this month.

Now. Are we really taking time away from " ramadan's worship? "

Honestly- how long does logging the food take you ? I need less than 5 minutes-

That's the part of logging.

Now to the " moving/exerising part "

You all probably have heared that a fasting person- even while sleeping is still considered to be in " ibadah " meaning getting rewards , right ?
    You all probably heared that you should be mentioning God ( thikr ) while : sitting, standing, laying down, ..
    which means also while ::::
    >>>. ( walking )
    If you are " walking " for your workouts- you can be making thikr - you can listen to your i pod- lecture or qur'an recitation, you can be " thinking "about all the blessings- THAT is all part of ibadah.
    Nowhere did i see a fatwah - telling us that we need to be " sitting " all day and making thikr. You can worship AND move.
    A woman while cooking - she can make thikr. right ? and she gets rewards .

What we need to think of is the " intention " - that is the most important part. The intention.

Why are we doing all of this ?

Yes to look better, feel better, BUT most of all isn't this body we have a GIFT a BLESSING from GOD that we need to be thankfull for and we need to take care of it, it is not " ours " it's just a gift .. so the moving and making better choices of food is also to take better care of the body and health we got.

Do you think that the previous generations got to sit in their homes for the whole ramadan - and not do any physical activities ?
    Their life styles were much harder and involved physical activity as a part of their daily lifes - they HAD to move to go get the water or wash the clothes.. or maybe feed their sheeps and camels or what not.. so they had physical moving in their daily life- that WAS exercise .
    Do we have that ?
    If you wash your clothes by hand, bring water in buckets to your home, feed some animals on your farm, carry grains in bags on your back to make bread at home.. etc- than by all means YOU are excused- you don't need any 30 day shred or walking - you have enough physical activity. Since.. most of us don't have that life style - we are required to keep moving. I can't imagine to sit a whole month and my only activity is to get up for food and to go to pray . I think my body would scream from pain of lack of movement.

Again.. each deed we do- is valued by the INTENTION.. what is your intention for this whole thing ?

My intention for this thread- and this month- was to stay motivated, stay active and keep logging just to stay in habbit , not to fall of the wagon, not to " gain weight " .. if i lose some GREAT< but i'm not focusing on that .. i just don't want to gain.

I wanted to have this topic cleared out .. and i hope i didn't offend anyone. The sister that has posted this - was just a reason for me to write this- i'm not blaming her or anything- everybody has the right to choose what is right for them . But since i know many of us are struggling with this and maybe doubting if they are making the right thing.. to exercise or log food during ramadan- i wanted to clear this out- that's all . Hope no one got offended.

But you know when you just started working out -for the first time after you had your kids , didn't you feel guilty to take " time away from your kids ? " most mothers do. but aren't we doing that actually to " give more time " to our kids- more quality time that is . to give them an example . to be better for them as well.

Now.. i don't think a 250 -300 lbs sister that has to pray on a chair and is sweating and huffing and puffing during the prayer is exactly the example of a healthy believer . Yes i'm 250 lbs.. but i'm not huffing and puffing and all red and sweaty while praying. Thank God. - we are required to be an example in all areas. I don't think it's " sunnah " to be out of shape and just sitting arround.

If you have proof otherwise- let me know.. as far as know the sirah and tradition - i never heared of an obese ashab/a .. .. correct me if i'm wrong.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    totally agree, u know wht y i wanna lose weight, coz i cant bear the pain in my knees and back for being heavy. 4 years back i had severe pain in my knees and i couldnt offer Salah (Namaz) without having pain in rukuh or sujood and even i couldnt stand for long...i remember during a sahoor i litterally cried and prayed to take away this pain so tht i can pray... Allah helped me

Now last month i again had pain through out by body and all the joints of my body were in pain.. even my fingers, knees, back and toes...unbearable while Salah... then i went to Umrah and i had so much pain in my back tht i had to think can i move down to take this cup of zamzam...Alhumdolillah when i came back home all the pains were gone... I havent lost weight...But sure Allah has helped me..

i would like to quote a thing from Quran tht my mom-in-law heard from her Grandmother which made her to keep herself fit throught out her life...but coz it is from quran... ill first confirm then ill write here
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    Sister bosanka.....I agree with you 100%. Our bodies are a gift from Allah and one that we should be taking care of....that means staying in shape (or getting into shape, if you're like me); it means making healthier choices and being more aware of what we eat and what we do (i.e. exercise, or be lazy). And for some of us, Ramadan is still kinda new (this is only my 3rd Ramadan, masha'Allah)....and so it's good to have advice on how to eat healthy during this month, because it's too easy to just eat a bunch of junk food when breaking our fast.

Anyhow....moving along.....I have a q.....

Do any of the sisters have a burqini? I really am thinking of buying one; I want to start swimming at the pool at the campus gym. I haven't been swimming in years and I miss it, and I know it's a great form of exercise.
  • bosanka
    Options
    No i don't have it.
    Reason why- no matter how " covered " it is- you are still having tight /wet clothes on you .. and if it is a mixed place- and i assume it is - than it doesn't really " qualify " as hijab rules.

I have been swimming in some type of long clothes - that my local pool mngmt had approved for me to wear while swimming . But now thinking back at it - i don't think it was a good choice or judgment from me- since i was still in the same pool with other men- and mixed with girls in bikinis etc.. i just don't think i belong there .

Now- i would wear the same type of clothes ( it's some super light weight long pants /sporty.. and a swimm wear top- not see through but long enough to cover what needs to be covered and a light weight 2 pc hijab ) .. that type of clothes i do wear when i go to a lake - and i can find a s pot where i'm not too much mixed with others- i go out with my family and swim there ( but not so often - this year didn't go at all ) Where i live - a lot of ppl have their own pool in back yard- so sometimes i go to my friends house when husband is at work.. other than that.. i wouldn't go anywhere else.

According to some lectures i have been listening about proper hijab etc- all that stuff is not approved...

some places i have heard have " women day " or something like that in public pools.. or specific times - but i'm not aware of any here in us- i know in europe they have some.. Probably because they had enough requests.. i think if we all would stand up and ask for something like that- maybe some pools would " hear us " .. but the problem is i think- we don't even ask.

If you think you would be ok in that campus or you can find some times when it is not to crowded etc.. maybe you can work something out.. ask when they have the least visitors etc.. hope you can figure something out- si nce swimming is a good source of exercise esp when you have joint/knee / back pain .. good luck :)
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    So proud of my sisters on this thread- for some reason i have a feeling they are more sticking to their plans and goals than the brothers ? Or the br. are not logging ? but still that's part of our goal as well ? What's up ?

I have to comment on something.. noticed that one of the sisters had posted on her status that she is giving up logging etc until the end of ramadan because she was thinking and realized - that is not what Ramadan is about , meaning she is focusing on losing weight etc.

Some people agreed with her. And i did - to a point. I wrote it on the wall as well . Yes i agree that ramadan is about worshiping and it is only one month and we have 11 others to focus on weight loss .
    But
    I don't think that we on this thread have been really promoting " weight loss "during this month - and i don't think that's what our focus was here. Yes- if it happens- great and during ramadan we all SHOULD be losing any ways. But we did not concentrate on the weight loss on this thread. What the focus was is to :
    keep logging
    keep making healthier choices - and not the " traditional ones "
    keep moving- no matter how long or how intense - just keep moving.

this is the focus of this thread for this month.

Now. Are we really taking time away from " ramadan's worship? "

Honestly- how long does logging the food take you ? I need less than 5 minutes-

That's the part of logging.

Now to the " moving/exerising part "

You all probably have heared that a fasting person- even while sleeping is still considered to be in " ibadah " meaning getting rewards , right ?
    You all probably heared that you should be mentioning God ( thikr ) while : sitting, standing, laying down, ..
    which means also while ::::
    >>>. ( walking )
    If you are " walking " for your workouts- you can be making thikr - you can listen to your i pod- lecture or qur'an recitation, you can be " thinking "about all the blessings- THAT is all part of ibadah.
    Nowhere did i see a fatwah - telling us that we need to be " sitting " all day and making thikr. You can worship AND move.
    A woman while cooking - she can make thikr. right ? and she gets rewards .

What we need to think of is the " intention " - that is the most important part. The intention.

Why are we doing all of this ?

Yes to look better, feel better, BUT most of all isn't this body we have a GIFT a BLESSING from GOD that we need to be thankfull for and we need to take care of it, it is not " ours " it's just a gift .. so the moving and making better choices of food is also to take better care of the body and health we got.

Do you think that the previous generations got to sit in their homes for the whole ramadan - and not do any physical activities ?
    Their life styles were much harder and involved physical activity as a part of their daily lifes - they HAD to move to go get the water or wash the clothes.. or maybe feed their sheeps and camels or what not.. so they had physical moving in their daily life- that WAS exercise .
    Do we have that ?
    If you wash your clothes by hand, bring water in buckets to your home, feed some animals on your farm, carry grains in bags on your back to make bread at home.. etc- than by all means YOU are excused- you don't need any 30 day shred or walking - you have enough physical activity. Since.. most of us don't have that life style - we are required to keep moving. I can't imagine to sit a whole month and my only activity is to get up for food and to go to pray . I think my body would scream from pain of lack of movement.

Again.. each deed we do- is valued by the INTENTION.. what is your intention for this whole thing ?

My intention for this thread- and this month- was to stay motivated, stay active and keep logging just to stay in habbit , not to fall of the wagon, not to " gain weight " .. if i lose some GREAT< but i'm not focusing on that .. i just don't want to gain.

I wanted to have this topic cleared out .. and i hope i didn't offend anyone. The sister that has posted this - was just a reason for me to write this- i'm not blaming her or anything- everybody has the right to choose what is right for them . But since i know many of us are struggling with this and maybe doubting if they are making the right thing.. to exercise or log food during ramadan- i wanted to clear this out- that's all . Hope no one got offended.

But you know when you just started working out -for the first time after you had your kids , didn't you feel guilty to take " time away from your kids ? " most mothers do. but aren't we doing that actually to " give more time " to our kids- more quality time that is . to give them an example . to be better for them as well.

Now.. i don't think a 250 -300 lbs sister that has to pray on a chair and is sweating and huffing and puffing during the prayer is exactly the example of a healthy believer . Yes i'm 250 lbs.. but i'm not huffing and puffing and all red and sweaty while praying. Thank God. - we are required to be an example in all areas. I don't think it's " sunnah " to be out of shape and just sitting arround.

If you have proof otherwise- let me know.. as far as know the sirah and tradition - i never heared of an obese ashab/a .. .. correct me if i'm wrong.

Nice post sis Bosanka... I think I get most of my exercise at work. Mental as well as physical and I try my best to get away from my desk and walk around as much as possible. Even at lunchtime I try and get some fresh air and walk outside. I guess I don't really log it because I really don't see it as exercise. Maybe I should? It definitely doesn't get the heart rate up or make me sweat.

Anyway because I work in Sales a large part of my day involves talking to clients over the phone, my throat is constantly dry and i'm always thirsty. When I get home all I wanna do is sleep! So should I log the activity (walking I do at work)?
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Sister bosanka.....I agree with you 100%. Our bodies are a gift from Allah and one that we should be taking care of....that means staying in shape (or getting into shape, if you're like me); it means making healthier choices and being more aware of what we eat and what we do (i.e. exercise, or be lazy). And for some of us, Ramadan is still kinda new (this is only my 3rd Ramadan, masha'Allah)....and so it's good to have advice on how to eat healthy during this month, because it's too easy to just eat a bunch of junk food when breaking our fast.

Anyhow....moving along.....I have a q.....

Do any of the sisters have a burqini? I really am thinking of buying one; I want to start swimming at the pool at the campus gym. I haven't been swimming in years and I miss it, and I know it's a great form of exercise.

sis burkinis are very revealing i go to a ladies only swim session alot of asian ladies wear burkini i see more than id like they are tight and get very tight when wet imagine a pair of skin tight leggings and body top thats the look personally i prefer a pair of longer swim shorts and a baggy tshirt over my swim suit even when wet its still loose and baggy but it is personal preferance and swimming is fantastic exercise i love the work out i get from it its just a shame my local baths is closed for refit this ramadan or id be going there
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    Thinthought...you said eh? What a Canadian...LOL.
    I am thinking for the next month we all do something we've never done before. Try something we wanted to try for a long time but never had a chance to, or were discouraged from.
    Like 1)doing the 30 DS the whole month 2) only doing morning workouts for the whole month 3) Walking a certain # of days or miles 4) Going Green and eating 75% raw for the whole month...etc. They can all be individual goals but we can all come here and update on our progress.

bosanka, I totally agree with you regarding Ramadan and that being healthy and fit will not take time away from ibaadah. You just need to plan your time more effectively. And being fit and healthy especially this time of the year is a part of the Sunnah.

Here in Canada we do only have women only swimming arena's, where women only swim at certain times. I'm not a fan of swimming, although I would like to start again one day in the future.

I do agree that a burkini is not proper hijab, although it might cover skin, it's tight fit and shows your body frame.

BTW Level 2 of Shred was not as bad as I had thought. One move that must be eliminated from that level is chair squats with the V-raises.
  • bosanka
    Options
    I am thinking for the next month we all do something we've never done before. Try something we wanted to try for a long time but never had a chance to, or were discouraged from.
    Like 1)doing the 30 DS the whole month 2) only doing morning workouts for the whole month 3) Walking a certain # of days or miles 4) Going Green and eating 75% raw for the whole month...etc. They can all be individual goals but we can all come here and update on our progress.

I like this idea- and like you said everyone can do their own individual goal for the month.
    Usually a month seams very long and people lose focus or ' swift " away for a while.. that's why i prefer breaking each goal into a weekly mini goal. It's easier to stick to and less overwhelming.
    All the suggestions you listed sound very tempting :) things i haven't done for example.. i'm sure we can come up with more ideas something for everybody.

1)doing the 30 DS the whole month
    2) only doing morning workouts for the whole month
    3) Walking a certain # of days or miles
    4) Going Green and eating 75% raw for the whole month...etc.
    5) don't eat ANY of your exercise calories for the whole month" - but still keep working out.

if any one comes with any thing else that's challenging - put it on the list so we all can think about what we are going to pick for the next month insha Allah.. so looking forward to the "real " challenges :))
    but THAN we will watch the weight as well.. i'm not good with making the charts etc- if anyone is interessted to do it and post it for us - like i have seen in the other groups- where all joining members post their start weight- and than update each week so we all can see our progress
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I like this idea- and like you said everyone can do their own individual goal for the month.
    Usually a month seams very long and people lose focus or ' swift " away for a while.. that's why i prefer breaking each goal into a weekly mini goal. It's easier to stick to and less overwhelming.
    All the suggestions you listed sound very tempting :) things i haven't done for example.. i'm sure we can come up with more ideas something for everybody.

1)doing the 30 DS the whole month
    2) only doing morning workouts for the whole month
    3) Walking a certain # of days or miles
    4) Going Green and eating 75% raw for the whole month...etc.
    5) don't eat ANY of your exercise calories for the whole month" - but still keep working out.

if any one comes with any thing else that's challenging - put it on the list so we all can think about what we are going to pick for the next month insha Allah.. so looking forward to the "real " challenges :))
    but THAN we will watch the weight as well.. i'm not good with making the charts etc- if anyone is interessted to do it and post it for us - like i have seen in the other groups- where all joining members post their start weight- and than update each week so we all can see our progress

For me water intake is a problem too, i was already thinking this morning to start drinking luke warm water first thing in the morning again, i have done it, it works as it clears the colon and detoxifies...a lot ppl recommend tht...and my cousin swears tht it helps her losing weight and not gaining it back.
  • DiyyahBloom
    Options
    I finally complete D1 L2 of the 30 day shred. I did not fine it so hard, I think This level is more about focusing on toning and sculpting.

My TOM is suppose to show up this weekend, my goal during that time is to push hard and eat clean as possible.
    So far, I have only lost 2 pounds, alhamdulilah any loss is better than a gain eh? (thinthought) :)