INSANITY Challenge - Starting August 1st.

Options

Replies

• radiantlyhealthy
    radiantlyhealthy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My friend and I did day 1 today so I thought if it was ok I'd like to join. I've never done INSANITY before so I am excited to try it!

Welcome!.. and good luck! :wink:
  • radiantlyhealthy
    Options
    I'm doing insanity/Ripped in 30 hybrid because I have to be careful with my back and insanity has a lot of jarring moves. But I love it! Question for those of you with HRM, could you comment on what your average HR is, how much you weight, and how many calories it says you are burning? I have a HRM, but it only does HR not calories. During the warmup I get up to about 158 bpm, exercises I am usually from 155-168 bpm, and the stretching stuff I'm usually at 125 bpm.

I've been using a triathalon calorie burned calculator according to heart rate, and based on my age (21), height (5'11), and weight (190) I am burned around 400 per 40 minute session. This seems about right as I've heard people burn anywhere from 350-750. I just wonder a bit because the 28 minutes or so when you are going intense seems like it would burn more calories than running, but I definitely burn more than 100 per 10 minutes with running.

Sorry for the lengthy/complex post, but I was just wondering what everyone else is burning.

Well, I'm only on day 3.. but on the first day I burned 200 calories, and yesterday I burned about 392. So I won't be burning as much as some others. I'm (about) 116 pounds and 5 ft 3.5 inches tall.. and my heart rate is about 171 when I'm really pushing and 160ish during most of the exercises. I hope this might have helped.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm joining the thread! I'm on day 3!
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Day 9 still going strong did Plyometric Cardio Circuit this morning burned 447. I'm 5'2 and weigh 136 as of this morning. I find the workout intense but still have energy for more. Today I went to the gym and did a spinning class in the afternoon. I don't plan on doing 2 workouts a day, but maybe like 2-3 times a week.
  • zojo78
    zojo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just found this thread. I'm on day five - Pure Cardio - wow! Loving it so far tho. I'm 5'4", 33yrs old, average HR 142, max HR 178, cals burned 330. Dig deeper everyone!! :-)
  • radiantlyhealthy
    Options
    laurelderry: Yay! How'd you like cardio power & resistance? :D

njean888: Sounds great! Spinning classes are wonderful, but maybe try adding weights once a week in replace of a cardio workout? Just an idea. (:

zojo78: Woohooo, glad you like it! and we're the same height. (:
  • itslillers
    itslillers Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm doing insanity/Ripped in 30 hybrid because I have to be careful with my back and insanity has a lot of jarring moves. But I love it! Question for those of you with HRM, could you comment on what your average HR is, how much you weight, and how many calories it says you are burning? I have a HRM, but it only does HR not calories. During the warmup I get up to about 158 bpm, exercises I am usually from 155-168 bpm, and the stretching stuff I'm usually at 125 bpm.

I've been using a triathalon calorie burned calculator according to heart rate, and based on my age (21), height (5'11), and weight (190) I am burned around 400 per 40 minute session. This seems about right as I've heard people burn anywhere from 350-750. I just wonder a bit because the 28 minutes or so when you are going intense seems like it would burn more calories than running, but I definitely burn more than 100 per 10 minutes with running.

Sorry for the lengthy/complex post, but I was just wondering what everyone else is burning.

May I ask what your schedule is with the Insanity/Ripped in 30 Hybrid? I also have lower back issues and after a couple of days of Insanity (I'm on Day 3), my lower back is definitely sore! The moves are much more intense on the back. I honestly don't know if I can finish Insanity doing those moves! When I woke up this morning, I felt like my body had been hit by a bus! Do you just modify them/do Ripped in 30 afterwards? I just finished Ripped in 30 for the month of July, but I could always do it again and really try to master the levels.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

May I ask what your schedule is with the Insanity/Ripped in 30 Hybrid? I also have lower back issues and after a couple of days of Insanity (I'm on Day 3), my lower back is definitely sore! The moves are much more intense on the back. I honestly don't know if I can finish Insanity doing those moves! When I woke up this morning, I felt like my body had been hit by a bus! Do you just modify them/do Ripped in 30 afterwards? I just finished Ripped in 30 for the month of July, but I could always do it again and really try to master the levels.

Be very careful with your back! I followed insanity for two weeks and one day during the last 5 minutes of power and resistance my back spasmed and was horrible for about 4-5 days. I took a 7 day break and only did the elliptical machine for exercise. Unfortunately I believed that this all stems from me tearing a muscle in my lower back last summer. Since I've restarted back up, I make special care to make sure my form is PERFECT, no hunched hit jumps or suicides, and no lowering my butt on the basketball level drills. This has worked so far.

My hybrid is like this (I also include 6 week 6 pack and a 4 mile run once per week):

Day 1: Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Day 2: RI30 #1
    Day 3: Pure Cardio
    Day 4: RI30 #2
    Day 5: Power and Resistance
    Day 6: 6W6P + run
    Day 7: Cardio Recovery + 30 min on elliptical

I'm hoping that this will keep my body guessing and break the plateau that I'm having. Good luck!

And thanks everyone for all of your calories burned info! I'm thinking that with my weight, I'm underestimating my calories burned, but at the same time, I'm in good cardiovascular shape (RHR 48), and so I don't take breaks during the workouts. njean888- I agree, I wish that they were a little longer sometimes!
  • itslillers
    itslillers Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Be very careful with your back! I followed insanity for two weeks and one day during the last 5 minutes of power and resistance my back spasmed and was horrible for about 4-5 days. I took a 7 day break and only did the elliptical machine for exercise. Unfortunately I believed that this all stems from me tearing a muscle in my lower back last summer. Since I've restarted back up, I make special care to make sure my form is PERFECT, no hunched hit jumps or suicides, and no lowering my butt on the basketball level drills. This has worked so far.

My hybrid is like this (I also include 6 week 6 pack and a 4 mile run once per week):

Day 1: Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Day 2: RI30 #1
    Day 3: Pure Cardio
    Day 4: RI30 #2
    Day 5: Power and Resistance
    Day 6: 6W6P + run
    Day 7: Cardio Recovery + 30 min on elliptical

I'm hoping that this will keep my body guessing and break the plateau that I'm having. Good luck!

And thanks everyone for all of your calories burned info! I'm thinking that with my weight, I'm underestimating my calories burned, but at the same time, I'm in good cardiovascular shape (RHR 48), and so I don't take breaks during the workouts. njean888- I agree, I wish that they were a little longer sometimes!

Thanks for giving me all that info! Yeah about 4 years ago I herniated my disc and have been recovering from that ever since. A lot of the fluid has leaked out since then so the space in the bottom disc has halved in size and ultimately, this has to last me for the rest of my life (I'm only 23!), so I have to (forever) be cautious of anything strenuous on my lower back :( but at the same time, I have to push myself physically/change up my workouts every month otherwise I plateau in my weightloss. Anyway, thanks for the schedule! I'll definitely alternate between those 2, plus going to the gym and getting on the elliptical as well.
  • alzina
    alzina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just got done doing DAY 3 and I decided I hate power jumps. But found out that I burned 355 in that session. I love having a HRM. Hope all of you women/men are doing well. I love Insanity!!!
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    So I feel like my heart rate is WAY higher than most people on here are! I use a timex HRM and I even will stop and track my heart rate with my pulse to make sure it is accurate. I have gotten up to 196 MAX! I just turned 23, and 5'4, and weighed in at 140 last time I weighed myself. I was at 130 but just got back from vacation-way too much drinking, eating, and occasionally cigarettes (a habit I broke a year ago but when I was visiting my old friends I had a couple).

I am wondering if the fact that I used to smoke (for 5 years eeek) or if its the intensity I do it at as to why my HR is so much higher? My average for the pure cardio workout was around 170...but I also had to take more breaks this time.

As for the workouts, I was doing them around 70% (meaning I did most of the rep and only stopped at the end to take a breather lol) and I burned 600 cal during Pure Cardio.

I looked up some other results from other people and I have seen burns from 300-800 which is a crazy range, I guess everyone is different and it does depend on how hard you push yourself/how good of shape your lungs/heart are in.

ANyways, to everyone out there KEEP DIGGING DEEPER! :)

I am on day 5 and LOVE it! I finished an entire round of insanity 2 months ago but my summer has KILLED my healthy routine, vacations, late nights, and a crazy work schedule definitely got me off track. Anyways, I am back and ready to finish all 60 days and follow the meal plan this time! I want a six pack like Shaun T! Haha maybe not as intense as his, but I want a nice stomach. I think we should post out fit test results too! Its great to have others to compare to and be able to groan/moan/share victories of the insanity workout together! :)
  • JatieKo621
    Options
    I just got done doing DAY 3 and I decided I hate power jumps. But found out that I burned 355 in that session. I love having a HRM. Hope all of you women/men are doing well. I love Insanity!!!

Power jumps are HELL.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options

njean888: Sounds great! Spinning classes are wonderful, but maybe try adding weights once a week in replace of a cardio workout? Just an idea. (:

happyisthin: Yes I'm going to try to do weights twice a week. My weight class is Friday. I just jumped into the spining because I love it! BTW who's abs are those in your profile pic? Everytime I see it I feel so very jealous!
  • laurelderry
    Options

Loved it! Did feel like I was going to hurl though lol. I work out at the gym too, so I've been killing it with the working out lately!
  • radiantlyhealthy
    Options

happyisthin: Yes I'm going to try to do weights twice a week. My weight class is Friday. I just jumped into the spining because I love it! BTW who's abs are those in your profile pic? Everytime I see it I feel so very jealous!

Awesome! and I wish I knew.. I found it on tumblr, and the person who posted it found it somewhere else, so I'll never knoww. D: Totally my goal, so I had to make it my picture!
  • radiantlyhealthy
    Options

Loved it! Did feel like I was going to hurl though lol. I work out at the gym too, so I've been killing it with the working out lately!

Sweet..! Do you have body pump classes at your gym? When I had a trial membership, I went to a few of those classes and I thought they were wonderfulll.
  • JatieKo621
    Options
    Agreed on your pic. That is what I WANT! It is so hard for me to target my abs...I think I work out enough but its the nutrition that throws me off!

I am thinking about buying shakeology-who here uses it? Or is it overrated?

AHH today is time for plyometric cardio circuit! It might be my favorite one...if favorite was the right word?
  • laurelderry
    Options

Sweet..! Do you have body pump classes at your gym? When I had a trial membership, I went to a few of those classes and I thought they were wonderfulll.

We do! We call them Powerflex classes though. Theyre on Tues/Thurs and they're pretty late in the evening so I havent figured them into my schedule. I know it will be difficult to do because my schedule usually looks like this:

530am: Insanity
    730-330: Work
    430-500: Elliptical (Gym)
    500-530: Strength (Gym)
    530-600: Elliptical (Gym)

The powerflex classes are from 630-730, so that puts me at the gym for another 1.5 hours and I have a little boy and a significant other I want to spend time with at night, in additon to homework to do. So, I still havent figured out how Im going to do it. Those are the only times they have them.
  • alzina
    alzina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So I hope that we all have nice butts after this round of insanity. Because after today's workout I feel like my butt is already firmer. :smile:
  • bexp2
    bexp2 Posts: 41
    Options
    Day 5 Pure Cardio done--not my best workout ever, but completed nonetheless. This is my first week on MFP, limiting calories, and adding Insanity to my bike commuting. I'm definately feeling the fatigue but there's only one more day until a rest day!