Why I won't eat fish (seafood)

Options

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I didn't read a single post in this thread. I just came here to say that shellfish are effing delicious. I pity you ;(
  • Alaranio
    Alaranio Posts: 75
    Options
    OMFG! Get over the fish thing! I've eaten it for the past 27 years and I'm perfectly fine. I ate it while preggo, sushi too. Infact sushi is my favorite meal!
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/fish-intake-and-mercury.html

Look at the chart on Lyle's page, and then read below.

/thread

Please look at the FDA's report on mercury, there is a difference in found in McDonald's chart.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115644.htm

Taem there's a MINOR difference between both charts. Check the tuna levels in both. Salmon, Shellfish, Tilapia, etc.

You're stretching.

I guess my point is that there is mercury poisoning in fish and seafood. yes, it is small. but you know there is poison in there. if that's okay with you, that's great. I can't do it anymore it defies my sense of health.

For some carbs are bad, for some fat is bad. these foods make you fat, they are not poisons.

So, if government agencies says these foods contain trace amounts of poison but hey, tons of great protein, you are still going to eat it? (you said you do, it was a rhetorical question)

If a light bulb breaks, do you pick up the glass with your bare hands? there are unknown amounts of mercury in that blub. I guess that would be okay if it had great protein and omega fats?

When I was little I had a jar of mercury that I use to play with, I even used it as weight in my pine wood derby car in cub scouts. I wonder what I could have been if I hadn't played with it. :happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Personally...I'd rather eat fish and be healthy and full of omega 3's and great oils than a tiny trace amount of mercury. I eat salmon, tilapia, bass, grouper, cod, and plenty of shellfish. I'm one of the few 'healthy' adults my doctor sees. Everyone else is overweight or on medications. I'll take my chances and be healthy...and this is coming from a person who was a vegan for 4 years and a vegetarian her entire life...I've only reverted back to eating fish a year ago. I'm healthy and that's what matters.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Here's a link I found interesting

http://www.howmuchfish.com/
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Oh brother.

Did you know that just about anything can kill you in large quanities? Even WATER! OMG! Should we all stop drinking water because it MIGHT kill us?

Beef has ecoli. There's salmonella in turkey and chicken. There's mercury in fish. There are pesticides on fruits and vegetables.

I think perhaps the OP should step away from NY times articles once in awhile, breathe some fresh air (WAIT! That'll kill you too!) and relax a little.

We are all gonna die. That's right. Every last one of us. Make the best choices you can while you're here but don't agonize over them - life's too short and let's face it.. no one gets out alive!

BTW, I eat tuna (solid white albacore actually!), beef, chicken, turkey and sometimes I even eat pork though it isn't my favorite.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    So who's up for eating some poison today? It's friday after all. live a little and dig in. i personally brought a can of poison with me today for a snack (some people call it tuna, but really it's just poison disguised as tuna). then maybe for lunch i'll go to subway and get a 6" poison sub. dinner tonight is cedar planked atlantic poison on the bbq. we used to refer to it as salmon, but we all know really it's just a fillet of poison. since it's friday i might as well have a double portion. hopefully i'll still be alive monday to tell you how it tasted.

LOL. ;)
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you told us why you won't eat fish... I won't eat poo poo... because it stinks. Now you know why.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh brother.

Did you know that just about anything can kill you in large quanities? Even WATER! OMG! Should we all stop drinking water because it MIGHT kill us?

Beef has ecoli. There's salmonella in turkey and chicken. There's mercury in fish. There are pesticides on fruits and vegetables.

I think perhaps the OP should step away from NY times articles once in awhile, breathe some fresh air (WAIT! That'll kill you too!) and relax a little.

We are all gonna die. That's right. Every last one of us. Make the best choices you can while you're here but don't agonize over them - life's too short and let's face it.. no one gets out alive!

BTW, I eat tuna (solid white albacore actually!), beef, chicken, turkey and sometimes I even eat pork though it isn't my favorite.

As I stated before, we have air filters in our homes, we look for ways to reduce car emissions, so yes, breathing in air is a problem. I also stated before that chicken and beef can be thoroughly cooked. If you cook seafood, the mercury is still there. We even have water filters in our homes now. I am pretty sure if you live near the coast line where the BP oil spill occurred, you wouldn't eat the seafood there.

I took a personal stand against seafood simply because I don't know how much poison is in the food, I have learned since then that there is poison in our lands that affect our vegetables. So I am less vocal about it and I am finding ways to consume less poisons, to the best of my ability.

I thank you for weighing in on the subject.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I could never give up fish. I live in China, near the coast, and eat loads of seafood, both cooked and raw. Don't be afraid of fish, guys, just remember "everything in moderation"!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Oh brother.

As I stated before, we have air filters in our homes, we look for ways to reduce car emissions, so yes, breathing in air is a problem. I also stated before that chicken and beef can be thoroughly cooked. If you cook seafood, the mercury is still there. We even have water filters in our homes now. I am pretty sure if you live near the coast line where the BP oil spill occurred, you wouldn't eat the seafood there.

I took a personal stand against seafood simply because I don't know how much poison is in the food, I have learned since then that there is poison in our lands that affect our vegetables. So I am less vocal about it and I am finding ways to consume less poisons, to the best of my ability.

There are actually plenty of spores and parasites that can be found in meat, chicken, and even some vegetables and water that can't be killed by being cooked, or eliminated by being filtered out. They essentially have shells that protect them from heat, and are too big to fit through holes in water filters. You are much, much more likely to be killed by a food borne parasite or illness than mercury poisoning from fish.
  • taem
    Options
    So who's up for eating some poison today? It's friday after all. live a little and dig in. i personally brought a can of poison with me today for a snack (some people call it tuna, but really it's just poison disguised as tuna). then maybe for lunch i'll go to subway and get a 6" poison sub. dinner tonight is cedar planked atlantic poison on the bbq. we used to refer to it as salmon, but we all know really it's just a fillet of poison. since it's friday i might as well have a double portion. hopefully i'll still be alive monday to tell you how it tasted.

To me, this issue is similar to smoking cigarettes. Before, everyone smoked, even doctors and it was thought to be okay. A real man smoked, remember the Marlboro man? Now, we say avoid smoking because it has all these toxins and harmful chemicals and it will probably lead to diseases that will create a negative impact in quality of life. I am not against smoking anymore because they are labelled as harmful.

But seafood is not labelled to a degree where I feel safe in consuming it. Even if I was told that this fish I was buying had less than 1 ppm of mercury, that's still half as much as what other countries around the world permits.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your seafood.
  • taem
    Options
    Oh brother.

There are actually plenty of spores and parasites that can be found in meat, chicken, and even some vegetables and water that can't be killed by being cooked, or eliminated by being filtered out. They essentially have shells that protect them from heat, and are too big to fit through holes in water filters. You are much, much more likely to be killed by a food borne parasite or illness than mercury poisoning from fish.

Please tell me which foods are likely to have these spores and/or parasits and aren't you a bit outraged by this?
  • chevy88grl
    Options

To me, this issue is similar to smoking cigarettes. Before, everyone smoked, even doctors and it was thought to be okay. A real man smoked, remember the Marlborough man? Now, we say avoid smoking because it has all these toxins and harmful chemicals and it will probably lead to diseases that will create a negative impact in quality of life. I am not against smoking anymore because they are labelled as harmful.

But seafood is not labelled to a degree where I feel safe in consuming it. Even if I was told that this fish I was buying had less than 1 ppm of mercury, that's still half as much as what other countries around the world permits.

If you choose to not eat seafood - great for YOU. But, I think the problem is you being here trying to slam us all with information why we shouldn't be eating it too. Stop trying to dictate what the world should be doing and focus on your own life. I swear. If more people worried less about others and more about themselves - the world would be a better place. I am perfectly capable (as are most adults) of reading, researching and making choices for myself and my family. I really think it's great that you've done your research and made choices that are best for YOU and YOUR LIFE.

But really. Stop trying to convince us all that we're ignorant because we won't see it your way. You keep posting link after link after link of why we shouldn't be eating it. I haven't read a single one of them because I've already heard the argument about mercury, read about it, researched it and decided the benefits out weigh the risks FOR ME.

Did you know you can get mad cow disease from eating beef? And they aren't convinced that it can be killed in the cooking process? I think you should be doing some research on other food items and their possible contaminants before you come on here and tell me how poisonous fish is for me.

I'm just wondering what fish ever did to you to deserve such a backlash from you.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Please tell me which foods are likely to have these spores and/or parasits and aren't you a bit outraged by this?

Just plain water can have all of those. Why should I be outraged that living organisms exist? I've spent a dozen years in the food service industry, and have been certified in food safety for many years. Let me tell you, if you knew all of the different types of parasites, bacteria, viruses, and spores that exist in EVERYTHING, you'd probably be afraid to ever eat or drink again. Rice can carry disease, flour can carry disease if improperly handled, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, corn, lettuce, tomatoes, water, fish, lamb, any canned food... Honey contains botulism spores. You know the "free range" meats that people always talk about being so great? Well, nobody can control 100% what those animals eat or drink, so there's no telling what they might be infected with, or what chickens might pass onto their eggs. And not every parasite, bacteria or virus can be killed by cooking. Botulism for example, only dies at 250°F, much higher than food gets cooked.
  • taem
    Options

To me, this issue is similar to smoking cigarettes. Before, everyone smoked, even doctors and it was thought to be okay. A real man smoked, remember the Marlborough man? Now, we say avoid smoking because it has all these toxins and harmful chemicals and it will probably lead to diseases that will create a negative impact in quality of life. I am not against smoking anymore because they are labelled as harmful.

If you choose to not eat seafood - great for YOU. But, I think the problem is you being here trying to slam us all with information why we shouldn't be eating it too. Stop trying to dictate what the world should be doing and focus on your own life. I swear. If more people worried less about others and more about themselves - the world would be a better place. I am perfectly capable (as are most adults) of reading, researching and making choices for myself and my family. I really think it's great that you've done your research and made choices that are best for YOU and YOUR LIFE.

But really. Stop trying to convince us all that we're ignorant because we won't see it your way. You keep posting link after link after link of why we shouldn't be eating it. I haven't read a single one of them because I've already heard the argument about mercury, read about it, researched it and decided the benefits out weigh the risks FOR ME.

Did you know you can get mad cow disease from eating beef? And they aren't convinced that it can be killed in the cooking process? I think you should be doing some research on other food items and their possible contaminants before you come on here and tell me how poisonous fish is for me.

I'm just wondering what fish ever did to you to deserve such a backlash from you.

So I guess that's the point. That is, we can discuss what foods are good for us and that's always a lively debate. But underlying this debate is our food sources being poisoned, and our willingness to keep consuming them.

We can talk about low carb, high carb diets, but if they all contain poison, we should stop talking about the diet program and talk about our food sources being poisoned.

My health journey is admittedly, very new and I have been only learning about how badly our food supply is tainted. So, as I learn these things, I am making personal decisions. I am sorry I have made you think otherwise and I definitely don't want to tell you want to eat or not eat. I mean, that advice shouldn't be given to anyone on this board and it probably isn't, right?

I really don't care what people eat or not eat. I am here to make my stand, I do not think I can influence anyone here with my opinions but I can take a stand for myself. I believe in honest food labels, if you know there is poison in that fish, what is the harm in asking just how much there is in that fish you are buying that day at the market? An informed choice is probably better then buying something you know has poison but don't know how much. http://www.safeharborfoods.com/news/
  • tigersword
    Options
    Nobody is "poisoning" the food supply. Mercury is a naturally occurring element in nature, all over the world, everywhere. It's even in the air. You are exposed to mercury 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Volcanic eruptions contribute more mercury to the environment than anything else. And those are volcanos both above and below water. The aerial concentration of mercury is actually higher indoors than it is outdoors.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I know you'll respond with your patented, "hey, it contains mercury, but if you want to eat it, go ahead! Eat away!" response, but this thread is more about your trying to validate your own feelings on mercury with positive affirmations from us instead of you just simply stating that you don't eat seafood.

Seriously, ease up on such all-or-nothing extremism. You'll ruin your body a LOT more from the cortisol release you're inducing with this neurotic paranoia than from the actual mercury itself.
  • taem
    Options
    I know you'll respond with your patented, "hey, it contains mercury, but if you want to eat it, go ahead! Eat away!" response, but this thread is more about your trying to validate your own feelings on mercury with positive affirmations from us instead of you just simply stating that you don't eat seafood.

Seriously, ease up on such all-or-nothing extremism. You'll ruin your body a LOT more from the cortisol release you're inducing with this neurotic paranoia than from the actual mercury itself.

BTW, congrats on your weight loss.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    A friend of mine got Mercury poisoning from eating too much fish. He had a lot of it though..

:smile: