Why I won't eat fish (seafood)

Options
12345679»

Replies

• scarecrow41
    Options
    Troll city. This guy has started several threads now trying to validate himself and prove everyone wrong with an extreme black and white stand point.

In a different thread a few weeks ago he said that all fat was bad and eating fat makes you fat. He's a new vegan, which is right on if he wants to be, but he continually tries to make himself feel better about his choice by putting down all things non-vegan...this is just one step amongst many.

Stop feeding the troll.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    http://gawker.com/5828154/horrifying-squid-comes-to-life-and-jumps-off-plate

is why *i* wont eat seafood

do not watch if easily grossed out
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Troll city. This guy has started several threads now trying to validate himself and prove everyone wrong with an extreme black and white stand point.

In a different thread a few weeks ago he said that all fat was bad and eating fat makes you fat. He's a new vegan, which is right on if he wants to be, but he continually tries to make himself feel better about his choice by putting down all things non-vegan...this is just one step amongst many.

Stop feeding the troll.

Actually, what I said about fat, it was more than a few weeks ago. I also learned more about low carb, X? fat and X? protein diets and I have stated that it works, so good for you if you can do it. I am not putting anybody down, I have never told anyone on this thread to not eat seafood if that is their preference. I just won't knowingly eat a poison, of any amount. If you want to eat it, good for you. I am learning good health, and eating poison just isn't for me. If you have a difference of opinion that's fine.

I am also learning about GMO foods like corn and soy and I am leaning towards not eating it. So I am not always on the side of the vegetable industry. I realize that good health takes on many forms and to learn all is best.

At this point, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts on the subject. I have learned a lot and I appreciate it. It didn't make me change my opinion about eating seafood, but I'm sure I didn't change yours either! Still, it was a good discourse and Iike I said, I learned a lot from it. I really don't want to continue this thread as my declaration has turned into name calling (like troll) and I received little support for my health goals.

Thanks for your opinion.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    If you look at the ingredients in almost everything the FDA approves for food you will see that it is disgusting and way worse for you than anything you will find in fish. The chemicals that are allowed to be used in stuff that is called "food" by the FDA are far worse for you than any trace amount of mercury that you will find in fish.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This guy has started several threads now trying to validate himself and prove everyone wrong with an extreme black and white stand point.

This exactly. I've noticed the exact same thing.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have never told anyone on this thread to not eat seafood if that is their preference.

Here are some of your quotes from this thread....

"I just won't knowingly eat a poison, of any amount. If you want to eat it, good for you."

"Here is a bottle of poison, would you eat it? What if I included a bottle of fat and protein and told you it's good for you? Would you eat it still? Now let me charge you money for it and say you can eat 1 can of it a day, would you eat it? give it to your children or grandchildren?

Poison + Fat + Protein + moderation = something I don't eat. That's my decision, I hope it is yours as well. "

"We all know there is poison in the seafood. Go ahead and eat it if you like. "

"So I guess you would eat the poisonous food and give it to your children? Good for you. Thanks for your opinion. "

I guess you never explicitly told us not to eat seafood, but my goodness, who talks like this? Give poison to my children? That's a real nice way of putting it... :noway:
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have never told anyone on this thread to not eat seafood if that is their preference.

Here are some of your quotes from this thread....

"I just won't knowingly eat a poison, of any amount. If you want to eat it, good for you."

"Here is a bottle of poison, would you eat it? What if I included a bottle of fat and protein and told you it's good for you? Would you eat it still? Now let me charge you money for it and say you can eat 1 can of it a day, would you eat it? give it to your children or grandchildren?

Poison + Fat + Protein + moderation = something I don't eat. That's my decision, I hope it is yours as well. "

"We all know there is poison in the seafood. Go ahead and eat it if you like. "

"So I guess you would eat the poisonous food and give it to your children? Good for you. Thanks for your opinion. "

I guess you never explicitly told us not to eat seafood, but my goodness, who talks like this? Give poison to my children? That's a real nice way of putting it... :noway:

As I stated earlier, I have decided to stop this thread. I concluded my observations here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taem/view/final-thoughts-on-the-consumption-of-mercury-poisoning-133958

Thanks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nobody is "poisoning" the food supply. Mercury is a naturally occurring element in nature, all over the world, everywhere. It's even in the air. You are exposed to mercury 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Volcanic eruptions contribute more mercury to the environment than anything else. And those are volcanos both above and below water. The aerial concentration of mercury is actually higher indoors than it is outdoors.

"Nobody is poisoning the food supply"??? Are you serious? How nice it would be if that were true.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I get so incredibly tired of people overblowing the Mercury thing way out of proportion.

You have to eat an insane amount of fish including tunafish over a long period of time (YEARS) to be affected by the mercury.

It's getting really ridiculous. It's like people not wanting to use smartphones anymore because of the cancer thing.

i agree. i eat fish 5 days out of 7 sometimes its from the freezer ail in breadcrumbs and sometimes it megga fresh cought that morning kind of fish.... its healthy got good oils and good for your overall mind and body.

lets face it if we didnt eat everything that would give us some sort of illness we wouldnt eat we wouldnt live!
  • Gessa007
    Gessa007 Posts: 50
    Options
    :yawn:

• MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Tilapia right now with Rosemary herbs. Nom Nom!! :):)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Sushi for me tomorrow! If I die from poisoning, at least my wife and daughter have a great insurance policy on me.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Due to the nature of my job, I'm required to have a annual physical with full blood work and tests. These tests include a test for mercury as well as other toxins. I received my test results a few days ago. I'd like to assure you guys that my levels of mercury were well below concern. I eat fish/shellfish several times per week and will continue to do so. I will not be swayed by paranoia and exaggeration.

Tonight, I shall bake a delightful tilapia fillet, coated in panko bread crumbs, seasoned with garlic, onion, lemon, and Hungarian smoked paprika, with a side of steamed brussel sprouts and brown rice.