MyFitnessCREEPERS

Options

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    You can report and block whomever you see fit - contact Mike directly if it's that big of a problem. However, posting a topic like this just gave you that much more attention, gave your picture -that is attracting what you call 'creepers'- even more views. Just food for thought.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you want just don't gripe about people making comments about it.

WTF is wrong with you people?!?!
    so what if she's got a picture of herself in a bathing suit. that means it's ok for creeps to send her messages like she somehow 'asked for it'?!?!?
    i'm sure alot of you are just jealous your body doesn't look like hers and probably never will.

exactly. And, the bathing suit doesn't make her trashy, either (for those who said it does).
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    While there is not a Mod you can complain to directly regarding inappropriate messages, there are mods out there who I am sure has caught wind of this thread. Please remember to be respectfull when commenting.

Personally, I can see where to some the progress pic may be interrupted as being more provocative. So, I will also agree with the suggestion to possibly change the profile picture and keep your progress pictures with the other non-profile picture. This way someone who is not your friend will only see the profile pic, and friends can see the rest. In addition, you asked for instructions on how to make your profile private and viewable only by friends. Go to My Home- Settings- Privacy Settings and select the appropriate setting. Not sure if it was previously provided.

As a reminder to all:
    Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    you should just make your profile private so people have to be your friend to see your pictures.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    You can report and block whomever you see fit - contact Mike directly if it's that big of a problem. However, posting a topic like this just gave you that much more attention, gave your picture -that is attracting what you call 'creepers'- even more views. Just food for thought.

Smart Girl!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

I wish I could smack all of you (who are saying she should expect these comments). Are you also saying that if somebody dresses sexy in public then they shouldn't be surprised if they get raped??? Seriously...that's what you're saying.

I am getting so mad at this...Someone who dresses sexy in public probably expects some stares or cat calls...why must we jump right to rape?? Not the same situation at all. :explode:

Yes, I would except if someone was walking around in their bikini in the real world would be getting some looks, whistles and comments from men. (we are not at the beach while we are on MFP looking at these pics so I am not immediately associating this with the beach...however if she were in a sports bra and shorts...it probably wouldn't be as provocative)

Is it right, no? Are these men jerks? Probably. Did she ask for the attention? Possibly.

How the heck does making comments about a "sexy" picture get lumped right in with rape? ani_banghead3.gif

I second this...
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i really do hope none of you get kicked off because of this--it's friday afternoon, people are bored, annoyed, and looking for something to vent at....i don't hold it against any of you--i don't hate any of you or anything!

honestly i was surprised by some of the negativity but it's not going to stop me from reaching my goals. hope you all have a good weekend.

-k
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    First can we all please stop comparing this to someone getting raped. It's pathetic.
    Now, it goes without saying that you do look great and we're all supportive of your weight loss but......... did you really have to ask yourself and all of us this question as to why you are getting inappropriate messages? Was it that hard to figure out?
  • kater8er
    Options
    First can we all please stop comparing this to someone getting raped. It's pathetic.
    Now, it goes without saying that you do look great and we're all supportive of your weight loss but......... did you really have to ask yourself and all of us this question as to why you are getting inappropriate messages? Was it that hard to figure out?

actually my question was if i could block them. but thanks.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

I wish I could smack all of you (who are saying she should expect these comments). Are you also saying that if somebody dresses sexy in public then they shouldn't be surprised if they get raped??? Seriously...that's what you're saying.

I am getting so mad at this...Someone who dresses sexy in public probably expects some stares or cat calls...why must we jump right to rape?? Not the same situation at all. :explode:

Yes, I would except if someone was walking around in their bikini in the real world would be getting some looks, whistles and comments from men. (we are not at the beach while we are on MFP looking at these pics so I am not immediately associating this with the beach...however if she were in a sports bra and shorts...it probably wouldn't be as provocative)

Is it right, no? Are these men jerks? Probably. Did she ask for the attention? Possibly.

How the heck does making comments about a "sexy" picture get lumped right in with rape? ani_banghead3.gif

Have you ever heard of slut walks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlutWalk

Here's a snippet....

"The SlutWalk protest marches began on April 3, 2011, in Toronto, Canada, and became a movement of rallies across the world.[1] Participants protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance.[2] The rallies began when Constable Michael Sanguinetti, a Toronto Police officer, suggested that to remain safe, "women should avoid dressing like sluts."[3][4] The protest takes the form of a march, mainly by young women, where some dress in ordinary clothing and others dress provocatively, like "sluts." There are also speaker meetings and workshops.[5] Some objectors have remarked that this approach is an example of women defining their sexuality in male terms."

Of course I do not consider rude comments or messages to be as tragic as a woman getting raped, but its the same principal and attitude....
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Some guys are pigs. Sorry that they can't all be more like me. Congratulations on the results of your hard work. And really?! Some of these comments are sounding suspiciously like blaming a woman who got raped because of how she was dressed. I had hoped for better, but am not really surprised.

Yeah, like where the hell was her burka anyway? At the dry cleaners?
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options

my apologies, after 7 pages of this I had lost track of the original intent of the message
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Civilised people would not send rude or crude comments to a woman who is proud of her health and fitness and posts a bikini photo on a fitness site.

On the other hand, most folks would realize any woman or man, especially an attractive one, would receive rude and crude comments if they posted a photo of them scantily clad online, regardless of the venue.

Furthermore, in some religions and cultures, such attire is offensive, so when posted on the Web in an international forum, it would be sensible to expect some complaints.

And so on and so forth.

Honestly, the best way to minimize such messages is to cover up. In the best of all possible worlds, you wouldn't have to. The original poster is NOT asking to be treated rudely and crudely. But, think about it.

Cheers,

Sean
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

:heart: the sass!
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    You guys are cracking me up!! hahaha... Okay, sorry, hon. But, I have plenty of progress pics with clothes ON. lol.... If you really don't want the negative attention, I suggest you do the same. Yes, it is a dirt bag thing to do to send perv messages, but what can you do about it besides cover up a little?
  • kater8er
    Options
    Also--last thing. I just signed out of MFP and googled myself--it does come up and does show your profile picture even to non MFP users. I didn't know it did that and I'm gonna change my profile pic now! It doesn't bother me if mfp friends can see it because mature people will see that its a progress photo and nothing more, but i don't want random people seeing it. So if any of you all have pics you don't want to be able to be seen on google as your profile pic--i'd change it!

-k
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    To the OP,

I'm certainly not saying you were asking for the crude messages, but you have to realize that they were a possibility just by the fact that you posted pictures of yourself on the internet. It's just how the world we live in works. You can try and be naive all you want but obviously from the tone of the comments on this thread, very few people are sympathetic to it. You have to be careful about what you post on the internet (not just pictures but things you say too). This should be common sense. Protect yourself so you don't end up a victim.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I also have progress photos, but I'm not in my underwear or a lacey bra, I'm in workout clothes and you can still (easily) see the progress ...

Ditto!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Also--last thing. I just signed out of MFP and googled myself--it does come up and does show your profile picture even to non MFP users. I didn't know it did that and I'm gonna change my profile pic now! It doesn't bother me if mfp friends can see it because mature people will see that its a progress photo and nothing more, but i don't want random people seeing it. So if any of you all have pics you don't want to be able to be seen on google as your profile pic--i'd change it!

-k

Good girl...just a heads up. I didn't know it either...

You look amazing btw
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    Much better now..... I definitely think you should be careful. Unfortunately, pervs and creepers will not cease to exist just because we want them to. I would suggest as another user said to put progress pics on profile set to private and profile pic of your smiling face :)
This discussion has been closed.