MyFitnessCREEPERS

Options
12345679»

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

I wish I could smack all of you (who are saying she should expect these comments). Are you also saying that if somebody dresses sexy in public then they shouldn't be surprised if they get raped??? Seriously...that's what you're saying.

I am getting so mad at this...Someone who dresses sexy in public probably expects some stares or cat calls...why must we jump right to rape?? Not the same situation at all. :explode:

Yes, I would except if someone was walking around in their bikini in the real world would be getting some looks, whistles and comments from men. (we are not at the beach while we are on MFP looking at these pics so I am not immediately associating this with the beach...however if she were in a sports bra and shorts...it probably wouldn't be as provocative)

Is it right, no? Are these men jerks? Probably. Did she ask for the attention? Possibly.

How the heck does making comments about a "sexy" picture get lumped right in with rape? ani_banghead3.gif

Have you ever heard of slut walks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlutWalk

Here's a snippet....

"The SlutWalk protest marches began on April 3, 2011, in Toronto, Canada, and became a movement of rallies across the world.[1] Participants protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance.[2] The rallies began when Constable Michael Sanguinetti, a Toronto Police officer, suggested that to remain safe, "women should avoid dressing like sluts."[3][4] The protest takes the form of a march, mainly by young women, where some dress in ordinary clothing and others dress provocatively, like "sluts." There are also speaker meetings and workshops.[5] Some objectors have remarked that this approach is an example of women defining their sexuality in male terms."

Of course I do not consider rude comments or messages to be as tragic as a woman getting raped, but its the same principal and attitude....

So are we saying that a woman who wears a low cut tight top that emphasizes certain areas isn't emphasizing that area on purpose? What is her intention when dressing this way? To get male attention.

Does a woman expect to get raped when she dresses this way? No.

But women do dress a certain way to attract certain attention.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the responses past the first page and now your profile is private I can't see the pic but this reminds me of when people say she deserved to be r***ed cos of the clothes she's wearing!!!

You seem to have solved the problem but I disagree that you 'asked for it' you are entitled to show off your hard work without being harassed for it.

Just my personal opinion.

martyxxx
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Wow...this topic is as hot as Flori-duh today. 100degrees and rising.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    Civilised people would not send rude or crude comments to a woman who is proud of her health and fitness and posts a bikini photo on a fitness site.

On the other hand, most folks would realize any woman or man, especially an attractive one, would receive rude and crude comments if they posted a photo of them scantily clad online, regardless of the venue.

Furthermore, in some religions and cultures, such attire is offensive, so when posted on the Web in an international forum, it would be sensible to expect some complaints.

And so on and so forth.

Honestly, the best way to minimize such messages is to cover up. In the best of all possible worlds, you wouldn't have to. The original poster is NOT asking to be treated rudely and crudely. But, think about it.

Cheers,

Sean

Perfectly said!
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    Look, I can see why you're proud of your pic....but I have to agree here. Perhaps put on a nice dress that still shows your figure, but not giving people the wrong idea.

Also, make your profile private so only your friends can see you profile. If you're getting inappropriate comments, delete them as friends and viola. Problem solved.

couldn't say it better myself
  • tashjs21
    Options
    And BTW to the original poster, I am sorry that you are having to deal with the creepers, sadly you'll probably get them even after you change your profile pic. It is just a sad fact that these slimeballs are out there. Hit Block and Report if it is too bad. Otherwise ignore them.

I just can't believe that rude comments is being put in the same category as rape. How far does this go? Next guys won't be able to pay a woman a civil compliment because she might take it wrong and scream harassment...oh wait, that already happens!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

I wish I could smack all of you (who are saying she should expect these comments). Are you also saying that if somebody dresses sexy in public then they shouldn't be surprised if they get raped??? Seriously...that's what you're saying.

I am getting so mad at this...Someone who dresses sexy in public probably expects some stares or cat calls...why must we jump right to rape?? Not the same situation at all. :explode:

Yes, I would except if someone was walking around in their bikini in the real world would be getting some looks, whistles and comments from men. (we are not at the beach while we are on MFP looking at these pics so I am not immediately associating this with the beach...however if she were in a sports bra and shorts...it probably wouldn't be as provocative)

Is it right, no? Are these men jerks? Probably. Did she ask for the attention? Possibly.

How the heck does making comments about a "sexy" picture get lumped right in with rape? ani_banghead3.gif

Here's a snippet....

"The SlutWalk protest marches began on April 3, 2011, in Toronto, Canada, and became a movement of rallies across the world.[1] Participants protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance.[2] The rallies began when Constable Michael Sanguinetti, a Toronto Police officer, suggested that to remain safe, "women should avoid dressing like sluts."[3][4] The protest takes the form of a march, mainly by young women, where some dress in ordinary clothing and others dress provocatively, like "sluts." There are also speaker meetings and workshops.[5] Some objectors have remarked that this approach is an example of women defining their sexuality in male terms."

Of course I do not consider rude comments or messages to be as tragic as a woman getting raped, but its the same principal and attitude....

So are we saying that a woman who wears a low cut tight top that emphasizes certain areas isn't emphasizing that area on purpose? What is her intention when dressing this way? To get male attention.

I will agree with you on that. But I'm sure a woman that dresses that way would rather have someone come up to her and say, "You look nice....hot....gorgeous etc...." than "That outfit makes me want to F**k you". Even if that's what they're thinking...they need to use their brain-to-mouth filter. There's no excuse for it.

I would have to say that most women wear certain clothes to get attention, revealing or not. Also, everyone has a different opinion on what's considered too revealing.

Obviously there are differing opinions on the matter of this thread. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    Wow...this topic is as hot as Flori-duh today. 100degrees and rising.

LOL :laugh:
  • tashjs21
    Options

I will agree with you on that. But I'm sure a woman that dresses that way would rather have someone come up to her and say, "You look nice....hot....gorgeous etc...." than "That outfit makes me want to F**k you". Even if that's what they're thinking...they need to use their brain-to-mouth filter. There's no excuse for it.

I would have to say that most women wear certain clothes to get attention, revealing or not. Also, everyone has a different opinion on what's considered too revealing.

Obviously there are differing opinions on the matter of this thread. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Very true, we can agree that the crude comments are inappropiate no matter the situation. :flowerforyou:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Very true, we can agree that the crude comments are inappropiate no matter the situation. :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou:
  • tashjs21
    Options

:flowerforyou:

Just wanted to add though that someone can say "you look gorgeous" and a woman can take that as the guy being a creeper. :laugh: So it all depends on the lady I guess. :tongue:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Wow, a lot of really stupid commentators out there today :)

I'll leave it at that. OP, I'm glad that you were able to figure out how to privatize your profile.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Also--last thing. I just signed out of MFP and googled myself--it does come up and does show your profile picture even to non MFP users. I didn't know it did that and I'm gonna change my profile pic now! It doesn't bother me if mfp friends can see it because mature people will see that its a progress photo and nothing more, but i don't want random people seeing it. So if any of you all have pics you don't want to be able to be seen on google as your profile pic--i'd change it!

-k

It's not just your profile photo. Photos you post in message threads can and do show up.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Just lately there seems to be less suportive people on here and more nasty people.

Exactly how I feel.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Simply: Eliminate the risk. Take pictures with clothing on and you are less likely to get crude messages. You feel good about yourself and that's fantastic but keep those pictures for yourself. Boys will be boys. No man will talk to you that way.
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is for snickers right?

I mean nobody can really be serious about uploading a pic like that and then be shocked at the outcome you had....right?

No I think it is serious
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Here's a snippet....

Actually, no. People can wear whatever they want. Just because a woman wears something provocative does not grant a man the right to do whatever he so desires with her. This is why women still get raped and why society thinks it's ok. The bottom line is that it is not. So HOW DARE YOU say that it is.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I think the name My fitness creepers was really funny and creative:laugh:

Really I'm serious, I so wouldn't have come up with that.:wink::happy:

not the topic, just the name.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Actually, no. People can wear whatever they want. Just because a woman wears something provocative does not grant a man the right to do whatever he so desires with her. This is why women still get raped and why society thinks it's ok. The bottom line is that it is not. So HOW DARE YOU say that it is.
    This. In part.

I think there are too many straw-men in this thread.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    GOD LEAVE HER THE HELL ALONE! LOSERS

Yay for Emma! By the way, you are BOTH very gorgeous! (in a non creepy way)

But I think you're both gorgeous - in a totally creepy way.
This discussion has been closed.