Worst advice you've seen on these boards

Options

Replies

• Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you don't go over your calorie goal...
    does this mean I can eat a whole package of Oreos and still lose weight as long as that's all I eat all day???
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I saw someone post that vegetables are "negative calories."
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you don't go over your calorie goal...
    does this mean I can eat a whole package of Oreos and still lose weight as long as that's all I eat all day???

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options

I saw this one too... they must be confused with vegtables being 0 points through weight watchers maybe, but they still have calories.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

I saw that one too!! WTH?!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Cut out <food group>
    Don't eat <x> hours before bed time
    Do <some specific exercise> to spot reduce <some specific area>
    Eat as little as possible
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I always like:

"I burned 783 calories in 14 minutes on the elliptical, should I eat back those calories?"
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

You mean they aren't?!!?!? But chocolate is still a vegetable, right?
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    "I'm 5'4 and my GW is 85lbs" :noway:

My favorite!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The problem with threads like this is that many of the people who list their "worst" advice will then replace it with something equally inaccurate.

Two of the biggest mistakes are people making absolutist statements, e.g. "HRMs are the ONLY way to accurately measure calories", "HIIT workouts are the best way to burn fat", "cardio burns muscle", "weights ALWAYS before cardio", etc, etc, and people using their personal experience as "proof".

Oh, and any statement that begins with "My (a) trainer told me....." usually ends up very badly.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options

Rolling eyes.....good grief......
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Run heel-to-toe!

no no NO NO NO!!!! Unless you wanna eff up your joints, you need to land mid-foot (or slightly forward of mid-foot).

Best advice ever! I read Taso talking about that one night and tried it on my next C25k run, the difference was awesome, plus as a bonus that method really works your calf muscles better :bigsmile:
  • arc918
    Options

once you add peanut butter to it, then (and only then) it officially becomes a vegetable
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I think this redeffines vegetables for me!! YUMM!!

• arc918
    Options
    To quote myself:

Running is terrible for you! It will make your uterus fall out and your knees explode into fiery balls of light. Avoid running at all costs. You've been warned...
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options

Rolling eyes.....good grief......

lol good grief is right! I got what you were saying! :smile:
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    What if Im being chased by a dog????.....
    To quote myself:

Running is terrible for you! It will make your uterus fall out and your knees explode into fiery balls of light. Avoid running at all costs. You've been warned...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

This would actually be true. Ok well I haven't done the math on those calories but if it's a deficit...it would work!
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    To quote myself:

I like my uterus and my knees, so thank you for forewarning me!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    What irks me the most is seeing powerlifter dudes advocating a 5x5 program of heavy lifts to people who have never in their life done a push-up let alone touched a free weight.

Advocating heavy lifting to someone who has no experience in form, technique and the fundamentals of movement for any given exercise, is simply asking for a serious injury.