Replies

• Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    you guys are goofy
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    this is not true atleast for me, i can eat the same calorie amount in a day. if i was to do that with mfp suggested carb amount i will gain, i know this I did, if i eat that exact same amount of cals with under 25 grams of carbs i will lose.
    same amount of calories diffrent results

It's because your carbs weren't from pop tarts.
    you gotta get on that hot fudge sundae poptarts. sooo good girl let me tell ya
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    No offense intended, if it works for you, great. However, I have been an athlete my entire life and I have maintained a heatlhy and athletic weight and body fat percentage with the exception of pregnancies for my entire life as well. Even at my highest weight of 142 lbs. I was still within the healthy range for my height and maintained a 20-21% body fat. As an athlete, I know carbs are necessary, and I wouldn't undertake an endurance event (or daily life) without them.

Yup, you have to eat to what works for you which includes what you do. If I were to get back into baseball I'd probably switch to like a 40/40/20 (C/P/F) nutrient split. But I 'm trying to drop bodyfat and I do some power lifting and cardio, then sit on my *kitten* at work for 8 to 9 hours. I've tried low-fat / higher carb methods and it doesn't work for me and I've adapted very well to this. The other side of this is that I get a two-day carb-up where I eat nothing but carbs, so it's not entirely low-carb.

Different strokes for different folks....
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you ever read any book about low carb lifestyles, you would know that those symptoms are expected and normal the first week or two, then go away.

It's pretty likely that you will be cranky on any new diet that forces you to change your eating habits, especially if you have been eating sugar and processed food. You can't change without changing, and if it was easy everyone would be skinny. Stick with it, it's only a week or two.
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    No offense intended, if it works for you, great. However, I have been an athlete my entire life and I have maintained a heatlhy and athletic weight and body fat percentage with the exception of pregnancies for my entire life as well. Even at my highest weight of 142 lbs. I was still within the healthy range for my height and maintained a 20-21% body fat. As an athlete, I know carbs are necessary, and I wouldn't undertake an endurance event (or daily life) without them.

Yup, you have to eat to what works for you which includes what you do. If I were to get back into baseball I'd probably switch to like a 40/40/20 (C/P/F) nutrient split. But I 'm trying to drop bodyfat and I do some power lifting and cardio, then sit on my *kitten* at work for 8 to 9 hours. I've tried low-fat / higher carb methods and it doesn't work for me and I've adapted very well to this. The other side of this is that I get a two-day carb-up where I eat nothing but carbs, so it's not entirely low-carb.

youre a powerlifter? i did not expect that.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    I'm new here and new to trying to eat healhfully by doing a mixture of carbs, protein, & fat in moderation. I tried very low carbs once, years ago, just meat, eggs, cheese, and non-starchy vegetables, and stayed on it for 3 weeks, losing weight but feeling sicker every day. I'm now getting carbs from fruit, vegetables, and whole grains and legumes, and feel very well, much better than the white rice/potatoes/flour I was formerly on, and losing weight, albeit more slowly than I'd like. I don't feel well if I try to cut out all animal protein, and I don't feel well if I try to cut out all whole grains and legumes, either.

My concern about any way of eating that doesn't involve whole grains is that it doesn't seem sustainable for non-industrialized countries. In the long run, it may not be sustainable for the rest of us. I'm not a "mother earth" kind of person but the stats involving the use of water and grain to feed animals used for protein consumption don't lie (at least, I don't think so, though it's hard to know who to believe nowadays.) The people in these countries, most of whom have to do far, far more manual labor than most of us could ever dream of, can't get anything near the kind of animal protein we do, and they rely on whole grains and legumes (which form protein when combined), and they must burn off the carbs doing all that manual labor. People in 3rd world countries have a lot of problems, but being overweight is never one of them.

Perhaps it's just the refined grains and the overconsumption of anything - and the lack of exercise - that we have to watch out for, rather than any particular group of food.
  • JNick77
    Options

youre a powerlifter? i did not expect that.

No, I follow power lifting training methods versus bodybuilding, crossfit, etc.
  • JNick77
    Options
  • Wilfred808
    Options
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    that is why low carb diets work. thank you so much. you now understand.

when you dont eat as many carbs protein and fat intake must increase. protein and fat make you feel full and satisfied which prevents you from eating more and helps prevent extra snacking,
    >less calories
    > weight loss

im not trying to saw low carb diets dont work, im saying carbs arent bad for you nor do they make you fat.

this is not true atleast for me, i can eat the same calorie amount in a day. if i was to do that with mfp suggested carb amount i will gain, i know this I did, if i eat that exact same amount of cals with under 25 grams of carbs i will lose.
    same amount of calories diffrent results
    its temporary gain in water weight which is normal when increasing carbs

I also mean in the long term as well, I have been around this world quite a bit longer then you, I have been dealing with MY BODY and MY body's chemistry. far far long than you have been alive pup, so please do not presume to know what is right for my body , and i wont tell you whats right for yours

human do not come from cookie cutter molds, and in time you may gain the wisdom to understans this.
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    my age is irrelevant. science is science. if your afraid carbs will make you fat then dont eat it. im just letting you know its unneccesary to avoid carbs.

if your happy with your diet then im happy
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    i keep hitting reply instead of quote.... obviously it was to the lady above me
This discussion has been closed.