Spare the rod and spoil the child?

Options
quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
As always there is a debate going on here at work…I love these people, how we get any work done is beyond me! :smile: Anywho, the question is, and this is for everyone, you don’t have to have kids to have an opinion:

Do you believe in spanking children, or do you think it teaches them that it’s ok to hit people and in turn makes them violent?

Replies

• hstallings13
    Options
    bump
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I was spanked during my childhood and so were my sisters......we're not violent and we don't hit people.......so it doesn't teach that...no....
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Yes/No *shrugs*
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in spanking, but don't think it turns kids into violent people.

I was spanked a LOT as a kid, and it hurt so badly that I don't want to do that to any of my future hypothetical children. I'm actually a pacifist, so it may have had the opposite affect on me!

I don't think that a child can ever do anything bad enough to warrent physical abuse, which is what I consider spanking.

(no kids yet, just my opinion/belief)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Yes. Not violent spanking but a tap on the butt when behavior is out of control. I was spanked and I am a very peaceful/pacifist person.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I believe there are times for physical punishment but i mainly make my son do pushups, jumping jacks & run in place when he has issues.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    No kids and frankly, I go back and forth on the whole thing. I see arguments both ways and guess I won't know how I really think unless I have kids.

But, I was spanked as a child and it didn't make me violent or teach me it was ok to hit at all. That being said it was always a big deal to get spanked, it wasn't done on the fly. It was almost a ritual both proceeded and follow-uped with a "this is what you did, this why it was wrong, and there are consequences" type of speech.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I absolutely DO NOT condone spanking. I believe in loving my children and punishing them through other means when they're disrespectful. To me, it just is not an option.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    As always there is a debate going on here at work…I love these people, how we get any work done is beyond me! :smile: Anywho, the question is, and this is for everyone, you don’t have to have kids to have an opinion:

Do you believe in spanking children, or do you think it teaches them that it’s ok to hit people and in turn makes them violent?

I'm for it. It should happen more often. Course, you should also be able to discipline ignorant parents too.

If you do something wrong, you should be able to take the consequences.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Spanker and Spankee here. I don't think it causes violence. No it isn't always necessary for every situation, but can be affective..... IMO
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i was spanked when i acted crazy when i was a kid. i dont run around beating people up, and im not violent. my kids get a spanking when nothing else works.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have two children and they are very different from one another. My daughter (8yrs old) is good as gold and always has been. If I say don't, she doesn't. My son on the other hand is very head strong and defiant. I have tried swatting his bottom when he's really out of control, but all it does is make the situation worse. It's not that I disagree with a good spanking when it's needed, but I really believe that it depends on the child and the circumstances. I too often wonder what others think about this. Hope everyone has a beautiful day!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I was spanked but in a violent, painful way. I think my father was a bit sadistic. Nothing scared me more than him saying, "go to your room and lean over the bed." I would have to wait there for him to come in, undo his leather belt, and whack me with it. It hurt like the ****ens. I don't think that was the right way to treat a child. I'm not saying that sometimes kids don't need to be whacked a bit on their bum to get them in line, but this way was wrong. I remember when I was 12, and my father told me I was now too old to be spanked. I went to my room and cried in private, I was so relieved.

My opinion is the spanking needs to occur immediately so the child can associate it and the bad behavior, and it mustn't be too hard. The idea is not to cause the child pain. It's too easy to let spanking turn into abuse.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I was spanked a lot as a child, and I KNOW my parents loved me (and still do), but at the same time, I just remember being so afraid to do anything because I didn't want to get spanked. My parents did an amazing job raising me, but I just don't think that it's healthy to tell someone (aka your child) how much you love them and then hit them when they do something that you perceive as wrong. Of course, I have no children, but when I do, I will do everything I can to avoid physical punishment.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I believe there are times for physical punishment but i mainly make my son do pushups, jumping jacks & run in place when he has issues.

That's great...I might have to try those :) I do believe in spanking but not for everything. I don't believe it makes for violent kids / adults. Those that have issues with violence, usually had some extreme abuse as a child...not a smack on the butt.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I think striking another person is demeaning (for both) and humiliating. It doesn't 'teach' anything except bigger ppl can get their way with violence.
    I strongly disapprove of hitting children and animals. They are completely defenseless and WHAT can a child or dog do to deserve that? Now when my 18 mo old son was sticking his finger in an electrical socket, I did smack his hand - I felt terrible, but I figure it's better than him being electrocuted.
    But no, I think hitting is wrong. period. it is never right. and people who hit eventually meet someone who can & will kick their *kitten*
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have 5, ranging in ages 24-9. They've all been spanked when necessary. What I have learned, though, is different types of punishments work better for different kids. I do not think properly, appropriately spanking your child will make him/her violent. I think most kids need a good spanking!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I was spanked when I was a child and I think it was effective. Of course, it should not be hard enough to injure the child, just a momentary small amount of pain to associate with bad behavior.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I was spanked as a kid and I have a great deal of respect for my parents for it and do not go around bashing others heads in, even when I would like to do so. I rarely spank my own kids, I generally put them in time out for x amount of minutes, then once time is up, I make them explain to me why they were put in time out and then they know they need to apologize for what they've done. Not to say that they haven't occassionally received a swat, but time out works best for them.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I was spanked but in a violent, painful way. I think my father was a bit sadistic. Nothing scared me more than him saying, "go to your room and lean over the bed." I would have to wait there for him to come in, undo his leather belt, and whack me with it. It hurt like the ****ens. I don't think that was the right way to treat a child. I'm not saying that sometimes kids don't need to be whacked a bit on their bum to get them in line, but this way was wrong. I remember when I was 12, and my father told me I was now too old to be spanked. I went to my room and cried in private, I was so relieved.

My opinion is the spanking needs to occur immediately so the child can associate it and the bad behavior, and it mustn't be too hard. The idea is not to cause the child pain. It's too easy to let spanking turn into abuse.

This is VERY simular to my situation. I'm sorry that you had to go through this!