"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Options

Replies

• mammacano
    mammacano Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump..
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Have someone with good exercise experience watch you squat. And same with lunges. Small variations can make a difference so make sure to see if your form is spot on.

I do them with my trainer during most sessions and she always says they look good, she hasn't had to correct since the first few sessions. Moved my feet together today to see if I could do a slightly different muscle set and I think that was what messed me up, its much harder to do them right that way.

Should I be babying the patellar tendon in some way or just let it go? I was only really noticing it while driving in traffic where the constant clutching means kind of holding my knee tensed a lot. Its just a really disturbing sensation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options

I do them with my trainer during most sessions and she always says they look good, she hasn't had to correct since the first few sessions. Moved my feet together today to see if I could do a slightly different muscle set and I think that was what messed me up, its much harder to do them right that way.

Should I be babying the patellar tendon in some way or just let it go? I was only really noticing it while driving in traffic where the constant clutching means kind of holding my knee tensed a lot. Its just a really disturbing sensation.
    Feet closer together will target the muscle above the knee more (known as the teardrop). Are you doing freebar or Smith machine squats?
    If your knee doesn't hurt, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • tameko2
    Options
    air squats or holding dumbbells. haven't touched the bar yet (how much does that bar weigh anyhow?) I want to work on 1leg squats next. If I do them while I'm jogging/walking air squats (and lunges) are more for a good stretch and do get my heart rate up than anything else now so I think I'm good on those - I have to hold weights or do jumps for them to be effective. That's why I'm not logging them as strength anymore unless there is weight.

Is that wrong? should I be working with the bar? i kind of hate going to the gym. At home I'm doing body weight stuff or anything appropriate with my 8lbs (which is a wierd in-between weight) and at the gym I sneak into the group room with the 12 lb medicine balls and some dumbbells and hide out in there.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    air squats or holding dumbbells. haven't touched the bar yet (how much does that bar weigh anyhow?) I want to work on 1leg squats next. If I do them while I'm jogging/walking air squats (and lunges) are more for a good stretch and do get my heart rate up than anything else now so I think I'm good on those - I have to hold weights or do jumps for them to be effective. That's why I'm not logging them as strength anymore unless there is weight.

Is that wrong? should I be working with the bar? i kind of hate going to the gym. At home I'm doing body weight stuff or anything appropriate with my 8lbs (which is a wierd in-between weight) and at the gym I sneak into the group room with the 12 lb medicine balls and some dumbbells and hide out in there.
    Dumbells are fine. Bar weighs 45lbs by itself. I prefer the bar because with dumbells and the weight I would use (at least 80lb dumbells) gripping would be part of the equation. With the bar sitting on my shoulders, I don't worry about grip. But do what you're comfortable with.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Dumbells are fine. Bar weighs 45lbs by itself. I prefer the bar because with dumbells and the weight I would use (at least 80lb dumbells) gripping would be part of the equation. With the bar sitting on my shoulders, I don't worry about grip. But do what you're comfortable with.

In addition to that, with the bar on your back the exercise becomes even more of a full body workout; you get more bang for your buck with back squats.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Assessment: Feeling very good today, but got up a little late.

Weight Lifting: Lat's and Bi's

- Pull-Up's: 3 x 10, 1 x 9, 1 x 7 (working for 5 x 10reps)
    - Lat Tri-Set: Rope Straight Arm Pulldowns -> Kneeling (leaning forward) Lat Pulldowns -> Kneeling (lean back) Rope Rows
    **Straight arm pulldowns 4 x 8-10 reps the other two exercises use the same weight and are just max reps**
    - Lat Super-Set: Straight Bar Arm Pulldowns with pause -> Stretcher Rows 4 x 8-10

Bicep superset 1: Wide-Grip Preacher Curls -> Constant Tension Hammer Curls 5 x 6-8
    Bicep superset 2: Close Grip Cable Curls -> Reverse Grip Cable Curl 5 x 8-10
  • ninerbuff
    Options

- Lat Tri-Set: Rope Straight Arm Pulldowns -> Kneeling (leaning forward) Lat Pulldowns -> Kneeling (lean back) Rope Rows
    **Straight arm pulldowns 4 x 8-10 reps the other two exercises use the same weight and are just max reps**
    - Lat Super-Set: Straight Bar Arm Pulldowns with pause -> Stretcher Rows 4 x 8-10

Bicep superset 1: Wide-Grip Preacher Curls -> Constant Tension Hammer Curls 5 x 6-8
    Good job. Make sure to get that cardio in today.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Humpday! Gotta mow the lawn today so that will be a little extra work. Little more cleaning up around the house and walking to the gym today.

Cardio:walk/jog- 4 miles (280 calories)

Strength:back- pulldowns, bent over rows, seated cable rows, pullovers. 3x8-10

Assessment: In control since Monday.
  • JNick77
    Options

Good job. Make sure to get that cardio in today.

I know. That 3-mile run from the other day is just killing me for some reason. Maybe it's too much with my lifting and the regular cardio I did last week.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Tuesdays and Wed are my most difficult workout days because I raid from 7-10 and I get home at 5:30 -- any ideas for some strength stuff I can do with just what I have around the house which means 2 - 8 lb dumbells, some stairs, and a 220 lb boyfriend? I'm on a buying hiatus until we move into our new house.
  • tameko2
    Options
    welp, that was literally the worst workout ever. did 20 minutes outside and could barely keep my heart rate over 115, running was out, came home to see if Dance Central would get me moving and didn't make it past 17 minutes of that. 175 calories total.

I blame yesterday's undereating (only netted 1000 calories) plus todays ... weird non-hungryness.

Gonna snack my way to victory and call it a rest day. I did get a lot of random walking in today, walked to starbucks, walked to lunch, walked around the lake once. so overall slightly more active than normal.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Tameko, have you thought about doing a low weights circuit workout. Kind of like what you're doing with your trainer, but much faster. Not to fast of course, don't hurt yourself and don't forget form! You should be able to work up a good sweat and get your HR up.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Tameko, have you thought about doing a low weights circuit workout. Kind of like what you're doing with your trainer, but much faster. Not to fast of course, don't hurt yourself and don't forget form! You should be able to work up a good sweat and get your HR up.

so like reduce the weight and then up the speed a bunch?
  • JNick77
    Options
    Alright niner, you'll be proud of me today. LOL

Assessment: Felt pretty good today, got plenty of sleep.

Cardio: YES! 30 min's brisk pace level 4 incline

Strength: 5/3/1
    Overhead Press 5/5/5+
    Dips (+20 lbs) 5 x 8-10
    Superset: Lat raise --> Front Raises 5 x 8-10 (I added a couple pounds today so it was a little challenging but good)
    Ez Bar Lying Tricep Extensions: 5 x 8-10

Stretch.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Tuesdays and Wed are my most difficult workout days because I raid from 7-10 and I get home at 5:30 -- any ideas for some strength stuff I can do with just what I have around the house which means 2 - 8 lb dumbells, some stairs, and a 220 lb boyfriend? I'm on a buying hiatus until we move into our new house.
    Try 1 1/4 squats, pushups, inverted pullups and jump lunges if you can.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Alright niner, you'll be proud of me today. LOL

Assessment: Felt pretty good today, got plenty of sleep.

Cardio: YES! 30 min's brisk pace level 4 incline

Strength: 5/3/1
    Overhead Press 5/5/5+
    Dips (+20 lbs) 5 x 8-10
    Superset: Lat raise --> Front Raises 5 x 8-10 (I added a couple pounds today so it was a little challenging but good)
    Ez Bar Lying Tricep Extensions: 5 x 8-10

Stretch.
    There you go!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Thursday! Had a good workout day. Did the lawn too. All in all it was productive and I felt I put in very good intensity. Now let's do the same today!

Cardio:stair climbing- Tabata protocol (280 calories), walk/jog- 2 mi (280 calories)

Strength:chest- incline press, flat bench, flyes, dips. 3x8-10

Assessment: Ain't gonna lie. Had Carl's Jr. yesterday with Western Bacon cheeseburger, fries and a side of Onion Rings. I was over my calorie limit by 1,500, but less than a .5 gain. So now time to work it off.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Try 1 1/4 squats, pushups, inverted pullups and jump lunges if you can.

all I found was http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/thighs/videos/love-your-lower-body/?page=2
    is that the same as a 1 1/4?

I've wanted to to do inverted pullups but my tables at home are too small/unstable to use for that. Might be able to find a bar at the park that will work but the workout area there is all SAND which is awful for digging your heels in and not sliding all over.

I did squeeze in some terrible pushups last night (better than nothing I guess). I ALSO had the opportunity to eat a ton at carls jr but I opted for the bbq chicken sandwich and then a bunch of healthy snacks. I sort of regretted not getting something heavier at Carl's actually - I ended up really full and barely pushing 1700 calories for the day when my intent had been to eat a little more to make up for my low day yesterday.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    alright this one was over the top!

cardio- 2 minute intervals stationary bike, treadmill,stairmill,treadmill, elliptical

Strength- 2 rounds
    24 inch box jumps 10 reps
    burpees 10 reps
    24lb ball salms 10 reps
    135 lb deadlifts 10 reps
    25 situps
    10 90lb sled pushes
    10 tire flips

repeat circuit two more times

so in a nutshell 30 minutes of mixed cardio and
    60 box jumps
    60 burpees