Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-September 2011

Options

Replies

• kittycatsss
    Options
    Hi I'm Megan. I'm currently 23.5 weeks along with my first and have gained about 10 lbs so far. I joined myfitnesspal so that I could have a place to go to hold myself accountable for my eating and exercising habits while I'm pregnant. I'm normally 5'5" 125 lbs and used to run about 6 miles 3-4 times a week. I'm still able to jog with frequent breaks and am down to about 3 miles each time. The extra weight is starting to make it a little more of a strain on me and I constantly have the urge to pee though...lol. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep it up, but I'm trying. I want to be a healthy mom. What kind of exercise is everyone else doing???
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Holy cow...I've missed a couple of pages! I try to keep up w/ them all everyday, but I think some slipped by. In regards to getting hair highlighted while pregnant, I did mine when I was 9 weeks along. I'll probably be going again in the next 2 months or so.

Today I'm 15 weeks - yay! :) I've gained about 4-5lbs so far...and I swear it's all in the boobs & uterus :bigsmile:
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options

Flu shot was my other question. So we r able to take it while pregnant? We are having a clinic at our school and its free so I wantdd to take advantage but wasn't sure if it was safe for preg women to take. I'm only 9.5 wks.

I wanna darken my hair as well. I have highlights from the summer and want to cover them. I thought we pregnant women can't color, only highlight is that correct??

I asked my Doc at the appointment yesterday about the flu shot. He said that after the 1st trimester it's fine (sounds like you may need to wait a couple of months if I'm reading right).

I got my hair colored a few weeks ago, too. Again, after the first trimester, it's fine. Before then, I'm not sure. But the chemicals are really minimal, considering how short a time.

My doctor actually told me at my most recent appointment that it's recommended to pregnant women because of our weakened state of immune system. Not to scare anyone, but he says that often pregnant women that come down with the flu end up in the ER with respiratory issues, and other flu related issues.
    To be honest though, I've never gotten the flu shot, and am really uncertain how I feel about getting it while pregnant. I'm pretty against unnecessary medicine as a whole, and this is going to be a big decision for me personally. I suggest doing some online research to help you determine if it's the right move for you. I know that's what I'll be doing.

Good luck!
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    Hi Megan! Congratulations!! I'm also 23weeks with my first! I just walk as briskly as I am able. That usually means only about 3.5mph, but I try. I wasn't in the best shape before getting pregnant, especially when it came to my cardiovascular capabilities. I picked up a yoga DVD that I've been determined to crack open, but haven't yet. Maybe today will be the day. I've never done yoga, so its a little daunting, but I know its good for us while pregnant. :smile:
  • kittycatsss
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a yoga DVD as well. I walk a lot, too, but in the late 3rd trimester when I need to the most I will be unable to because the weather will probably be too crappy by then to do much walking.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Happy 30th bday.
    Thank you ladies for your input on the names. I'm kind of leaning towards the more formal name and using a nickname. I often get asked "Is Kristy short for Christina or Christine?" Nope, just Kristy. lol I also like Abigail and use Abby for short. It's so hard to pick out a name you love and think about all the other factors, i.e. nicknames, how it sounds with the middle and last name, etc. It seems that so far, girl names are easier to pick out than boy names. Eric's middle name, Stafford, is so formal and I'm trying to find a boy's first name that I love and that sounds good with it.

So today is my 30th birthday and I got the Vitamix blender I've been wanting! YAY!! Eric had it all set up when I went downstairs this morning. :) He also used painter's tape to write messages all over my car and he said I have to leave them on all day. Back: "Caution: old person driving", front: "B-day girl", sides: "30". AND he decorated my office with "over the hill" decorations. Gotta love him. :)
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have my second appointment with the OB today, but I'm not getting an ultrasound. I really hope they can at least find the heartbeat because I don't know if I can wait to know if my baby is growing okay! Good news though, my nausea is subsiding the last couple of days...well I hope that's good news. Today I'm feeling super emotional though - so glad I have a 3 day weekend... Happy Birthday to me!

Kristy: I LOVE the name Sophie. And I'm always a fan of naming the kid what you're actually going to call them. I think it gets confusing for the little ones!

Welcome Rosanna and Kittycatssss :)

Happy Thursday Mamas -
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kristy and jrueckert!

Welcome Rosanna and Kittycatsss!

Happy Thursday to all fit mommas!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Flu shot was my other question. So we r able to take it while pregnant? We are having a clinic at our school and its free so I wantdd to take advantage but wasn't sure if it was safe for preg women to take. I'm only 9.5 wks.

I wanna darken my hair as well. I have highlights from the summer and want to cover them. I thought we pregnant women can't color, only highlight is that correct??

I asked my Doc at the appointment yesterday about the flu shot. He said that after the 1st trimester it's fine (sounds like you may need to wait a couple of months if I'm reading right).

I got my hair colored a few weeks ago, too. Again, after the first trimester, it's fine. Before then, I'm not sure. But the chemicals are really minimal, considering how short a time.

My doctor actually told me at my most recent appointment that it's recommended to pregnant women because of our weakened state of immune system. Not to scare anyone, but he says that often pregnant women that come down with the flu end up in the ER with respiratory issues, and other flu related issues.
    To be honest though, I've never gotten the flu shot, and am really uncertain how I feel about getting it while pregnant. I'm pretty against unnecessary medicine as a whole, and this is going to be a big decision for me personally. I suggest doing some online research to help you determine if it's the right move for you. I know that's what I'll be doing.

Good luck!

I got my first ever flu shot on Tuesday. Did it for baby - he's going the be born right at the beginning of flu season. And even though I don't think I've ever gotten the flu, I had a mild cold last year right after my boys all had the flu, so maybe it's just mild. If it was just me, I wouldn't have gotten the shot. But the thought of not realizing I'm carrying the virus and then making my little guy very sick (it's dangerous to infants!) is not something I like. Plus, having it now passes some of the immunity on to him

I'm with you on the avoiding medicine thing. I won't even take Tylenol unless I can't stand the aches any more. But this time it was for my baby.
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    Happy Birthday jrueckert!
    I know what you mean about the heartbeat. I'm fine in-between appointments right up until the couple of days immediately preceding, and then I am suddenly outrageously anxious to make sure all is well. I'm sure everything will go wonderfully!

kittycatsss/Megan: I will definitely crack mine open tonight, and if its worth recommending I will provide you the Title and give a quick review so that you can determine if its what you're looking for. And I know what you're saying about the weather; thats part of the reason I like using DVDs. Not my preferred method for getting activity because it keeps me indoors, but by Halloween (in Chicago) its usually pretty rainy and cold. Maybe time to invest in some pregnant woman/crappy weather-friendly apparel? I don't really know what that would be right now, but if I find anything extraordinary I'll let you know.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey Mamas and well new peeps!

I had planned on a run/walk last night but didn't leave work till 6 and had some final cleaning to do before my parents get here in a few hours. I also had a ****ty day and while I know taking a jog would have made me feel better, I just wasn't feeling it. Plus it was threatening rain. So I ate some peanut M&M's instead. :smile:

To answer an earlier question - lots of us are doing lots of different things for exercise. Holly who just delievered ran right up until delivery. I have been a runner for a while, but only shorter distances a couple times a week and I have cut back a lot. Last time I ran a couple weeks ago I could tell the extra weight and different distribution. I've kicked up my swimming and am walking mostly. My dog loves it.

I am up almost 10 pounds today and have been pretty consistently gaining throughout the 2nd tri. I am going tomorrow to finally buy maternity clothes. I can only wear skirts and leggings so many days. Especially to work. Unfortunately I'll have to have everything altered; joy of being 5'2".

My weekend starts soon so I'll be checking in by probably not responding. Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    To all you lovely Ladies:
    I would love the additional support gained by having you 'Friend' me! I know you'll help keep me motivated and on-path in keeping up with my Food Diary and Exercise logging.
    Thanks!
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies or afternoon actually....

I'm getting the flu shot. I was out 9 days last year with fever of 101 and 102 consistantly. I lost almost 8 lbs during that time so I can't take the risk. I've been researching a place to get it done- so if anyone knows of an inexpensive place let me know!! Both hubby and I want to take the extra precaution.

Welcome to all the newbies!!

rosanna I would suck as a friend right now. I've stopped logging because I was to nauseaus to log what I was eating. I stopped excersing by docs orders. I was losing weight instead of gaining it and then I got 2 kidney infections almost back to back...so I'm hoping he gives me two thumbs up on my appt next week. But will definitely encourage you on the board!

Better balance, your too funny!! peanut m&m's....LOL....let us know how it goes with the family and stop cleaning I'm sure your house is spottless by now!

:drinker: Happy Birthday Kristy and jrueckert! :drinker:
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kristy!! :flowerforyou:

Wow...I am far behind! I am so busy at work this week and just finished moving into my new office...now about to go do an orientation for the rest of the day...hope everyone is doing well!

I am 17 weeks today and man time is flying! 13 days until my ultrasound lol :bigsmile:
    Feeling really good, just tired as usual ;) I'm going to a level 1 Iyengar yoga class tonight after work - it's 90 mins and I'm really looking forward to it!

Have a great day all!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to Kristy and jrueckert, hope you have an awesome day.

Misti-Thanks for the add. Yes we're close and very similar. We both have a boy and hoping for our second one to be a girl...

Bbalance-Hope you have an awesome time with the family.

Rayna-Yey, 17 weeks just ahead of me, I'm due 2/28/2012. Are you hoping for a boy or girl? Kudos for getting your workouts in, I swear I still get super tired after a 20-30 min walk.

Welcome to our newbies, thanks for joining this is a great board.

The name situation is troubling for me, if we have another boy i would love to go with a Spanish name but the translation to english sucks:
    Ex: Gael, in spanish it's pronounced Ga-El, in english i'm sure they would call it out like Gail. :grumble:

I have a coworker who named her lil baby girl, Andelyn and shortens it to Andie. I thought that was cute.
    My oldest name is Jason, we call him J for short. JJ when he was smaller, but now he's a tween.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Welcome to the newcomers! Jump right on in!

Happy Birthday kristy and jrueckert! Hope you have a very awesome day!

Peanut M&M's have been my only bad craving during my pregnancy! lo!

You can go to any walk in clinic (walgreens, cvs, etc) or even Walmart has the Flu shot available. But I bet if you have insurance it will pay for it at your next OB appt. I am the same way when it comes to anything extra I put into my body. I've never gotten the flu shot and wouldn't normally get it but as a Pediatric RN I know the risks involved with not getting it and having your little one get the flu. I too am one that doesn't even take tylenol unless I am in serious serious pain.

Rayna yay for time flying! I feel the same way! I can't believe I'm already 8 months pregnant and she will be here so shortly.

As far as workouts go...I range anywhere from Spinning to hiking as well as strength training and yoga. I recommend doing what you like and what you've been doing before pregnancy. It will make you want to continue to do it. My philosophy is just to stay active and keep moving! :)

Speaking of...I've been in a funk today and just haven't been motivated to do anything. I worked on the baby's room a little and did some housework and my mom and I had lunch together. Besides that I've been pretty "blah" today. Not sure if it is the overcast, cooler weather or if I'm still recouping from this past weekend. I'm hoping to get in at least a 60 minute walk on the treadmill before the day is over....
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newbies!!!!

Lunarokra - Geeze I didn't realize that either! Hope you get your girl. (and me too) Have you scheduled your ultrasound yet? Mine is Oct. 4th - 18 days away and I can't WAIT!!!!

Rayna - Have fun at your yoga class tonight!!

Ashley- You won't regret getting maternity clothes, they are so comfy!!!! I need to get some fall/winter stuff. 10lbs!!! Good Job, that is great. I was at 8lbs at my last appt, so hopefully I just gradually go up and nothing too crazy!!! Been starving lately though.

babeed8545- Not sure of the cost of flu shots, but most (pharmacys) walgreens, walmarts, and even k-marts do flu shots in my area now. Might be cheaper than going to a doctors office.

Crazy day for me so far. I'm not usually an emotional person at all,(must be horomones) but I woke up this morning to find out my dog completely ruined my garden. She knows better to stay out of there and she always does, but I woke up to about 9 cuccumbers chewed up and 3 pumpkins chewed up. I was so disappointed I started crying! I've been working so hard on keeping it watered, weeded and picked and now this!!!! Can't believe it! Also found out last night my husband definately will not make it to my u/s, which really makes me sad. Basically means he won't be at any appt. until I am in labor. Thats the price we pay for him working out of town I guess. :(

Major weather change today, yesterday finally cooled down to 95 degrees and today its raining and windy and 65 degrees. Crazy, but it feels good.

Football games tonight and Saturday!!!! My son's excited, he said he's ready to kick some butt! LOL (youngest one on the team) :)

Managed to go for a walk last night, got all my cleaning and shopping done, didn't get all my grocery shopping done though. Tomorrow I will have to do that.

Been starving lately. I usually eat about 1200 - 1500 calories a day which is A LOT for me, but yesterday I almost ate 1800 and woke up starving this morning.......baby must be goin through a growth spurt. :) I actually look pregnant this week a little too, not just chubby. :)
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    All of you ladies that are just starting to (or soon going to) buy maternity clothes....I caved today & found some online. I don't know about you all....but I want cute looking maternity clothes & they are hard to find, especially in the stores. Online there are oodles...but some of the prices are outrageous. I got some at www.kikisfashions.com. Just tops for now. The ones I got were ~$20/top....but they also have a 25% discount & of course free shipping if you buy so much. It may take me some time to grow into them, but at least I'll have them on hand....vs throwing a temper tantrum b/c I have nothing to wear :bigsmile:

I'm having a harder time finding pants though. I wear longs & they are harder to find (so far). I did buy one pair...but they're regular length & I feel they should almost be longer. I'm sure I won't care once I'm too big to fit into my regular ones...
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    he name situation is troubling for me, if we have another boy i would love to go with a Spanish name but the translation to english sucks: Ex: Gael, in spanish it's pronounced Ga-El, in english i'm sure they would call it out like Gail. :grumble:

We're right there with you on the names!!

hubby and I both want Spanish names BUT, like you we want people to be able to pronounce them & more importantly we want the name to be the same in Spanish & English!! My hubbys given name is Arturo but he goes by Arthur. Has his entire life. Even in K-garden.....which shocked me. I don't want that for our children. Their name is their name....not because someone can't pronounce it (therefore, that person changes it) Ugh, drives me nuts!!

For a girl we're thinking Isabella Celeste
    For a boy we're thinking Joaquin Alejandro or Joaquin Sebastian

Their not our final choices, still a bit IF....

Me personally, I :heart: Gael!!!! I think it's a beautiful name :wink:
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hello to my fit, fabulous pregnant and mom friends!

Just wanted to start off by responding to something Heather posted a few days ago (and no, you were not preaching!). I think we are all here because we want to be fit and fabulous throughout our pregnancies and beyond. Personally, I think it is easy to use pregnancy as an excuse for exercise, but I want to encourage everyone to try and at least do something small even when you are feeling fatigued and not so great. For myself, the hardest part is getting out the door. On days that I am unmotivated I tell myself I only have to run a mile (or something like that). 99% of the time, once I get going, I feel so much better and actually complete my original goal. I know we are all different though, so listen to your body - are you truly too tired/sick to do something or is the lazy monster starting to sneak in?? I hope this doesn't offend anyone, just trying to keep you inspired and motivated. Also remember that nutrition is a vital part to the whole program. If healthy, whole foods are going into your body you should feel better and if you aren't able to exercise at least you are giving your body good nutrients.

Danielle - yes, my profile picture was taken 6 days post-delivery. As of today, I am nine pounds up from my pre-pregnancy weight. Am able to wear a normal pair of jeans too! I think this is a huge testament to eating right and exercising throughout my pregnancy. I can't wait for the next five weeks to go by so I can be healed from the c-section and start running again. Good news is my pediatrician ok'd Ellie going in the running stroller as soon as my doctor clears me. Yeah!

Kristy, Happy Birthday girl and welcome to the 30 club! I had a blast in my 20's, but have to say the 30's are probably even better. I love the name Holden for a boy and was thinking Holden Stafford had kind of a nice ring to it!

Megan, welcome! I am a runner too. My mileage definitely decreased as my belly grew, but I was still running a total of 10 miles per week (over three runs) up until 40 weeks and three days pregnant. I got a great support belt that I started wearing around 26 weeks and that helped to support my low-back. If your body allows and your practitioner is okay, I'd say keep it up as long as you can. I also did prenatal yoga, walked my dogs daily and strength trained 3-4 days a week.

H_82, 15 weeks yeah! I think your weight gain sounds great and all boobs and baby is the best kind! Just wait until after you deliver to really see how big the boobs get :-)

Rosanna, I work in healthcare and for a long time really resisted the flu shot myself. My husband (also in healthcare) has always been a firm believer in the flu shot. I gave in a few years ago and have started protecting myself and now plan to keep up with it as I have Ellie that I want to protect. I believe the biggest push for the flu shot during pregnancy is the fact that you are considered immuno compromised, which means you have a higher risk for contracting viruses etc. It's a personal choice though so do what you feel best with. Good luck with your new DVD's!

Jruecker, Happy Birthday! Hope you get to hear the heartbeat at your appointment. It's too cool!

Ashley, sorry to hear you had a bad day yesterday. Running always helps me to work out those kinks, but glad to hear the M&M's did the trick too. Giving in every once and a while is not a bad thing, especially since you are usually so active. The weight gain sounds right on track! My dogs love the long walks too - they look at me funny right now since I am on doctor's orders to not do any activity.....they must be thinking "mom's broken".

Babeed, I love the names you are tossing around - very beautiful! As for flu shots, check your local pharmacies at drug stores and grocery stores. I think it's been around $25-30 for a shot the last few years. Public Health is certainly another option, but check with your OB's office too. I know I can get mine there and insurance covers it.

Rayna, Get ready girl, the time will keep on flying by! Have fun with yoga tonight - I am jealous!

Brenda, I love the name Gael! I also know that it would probably very rarely get pronounced right. It's a tough one..

Heather, sorry to hear you are feeling blah today. I know we have a cool, grey day here in Seattle and I think Fall is on the way. Maybe put on some good tunes and have a little dance party around the house, that always makes me happy! Your weight gain sounds awesome and right on track. Even if you gain a pound a week here on out, you still won't hit the 35 mark - great healthy gain! As for breastfeeding Charlee - be prepared for what you've heard. It's challenging in the beginning. I certainly see why so many people give up. To me it was a non-negotiable thing and I went into it with an attitude that I/we could do this. Once you get it, it's so special!

Ahhh....Ellie's calling.....sorry I have to go....

Holly