Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-September 2011

Options

Replies

• a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i need to sit down sometime and read up/catch up...but for now i have a question...i am trying to figure out where to set my calories starting my second trimester...i am at 13 weeks and have already gained about 9-10lbs :( i was up about 3 or so lbs from my 'average weight' when i found out i was pregnant so i don't know if that counts as prego weight gain or not...either way i am having a hard time determining where to set my calorie goal now...would i set it from my pre-prego weight plus 300 extra calories for the second trimester or from my current weight plus 300 extra for the second trimester? i already switched my activity level from lightly active to sedentary because i am not moving quite as much with my job this school year...i don't want to balloon up, but i want to make sure that i am getting what i need for the baby! i appreciate any input you all might have :) thanks!!!
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    A1schwei- I think you are supposed to add 300 calories to your weight now. I was told to do maintence the 1st trimester then add 300 the 2nd and maybe 200 more the third. I'm really confused on all of this too. My doctor said to eat between 1500-2000 a day. I don't usually eat even 1500 but before I got pregnant I only ate 800- 1000 calories a day for years. It just depends on your body I think. I still have my calorie intake set on maintenence, and I have gained 8lbs so far. My doctor said that's great, so I'm just going to stick with it. If I'm hungry I'll eat more.

Lots of cute names flyin around. I have a few, my main names so far is Emberlei for a girl, and Brody for a boy. Got more names, but these are my favorites so far.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Im right there with you Misti & A1schwei as regards to were we should be calorie wise?? :embarassed:

Misti, I think your right, it's going to vary from person to person...I have mine currently set at 1500 which is 1200 daily + 300 additional but I don't think I've ever hit that thru my 1st tri mester.

Any recommendations for the 2nd semester would be awesome (in this area)

I did change my to sedatary since all I seem to do lately is eat and sleep.....:laugh:
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    All of you ladies that are just starting to (or soon going to) buy maternity clothes....I caved today & found some online. I don't know about you all....but I want cute looking maternity clothes & they are hard to find, especially in the stores. Online there are oodles...but some of the prices are outrageous. I got some at www.kikisfashions.com. Just tops for now. The ones I got were ~$20/top....but they also have a 25% discount & of course free shipping if you buy so much. It may take me some time to grow into them, but at least I'll have them on hand....vs throwing a temper tantrum b/c I have nothing to wear :bigsmile:

I'm having a harder time finding pants though. I wear longs & they are harder to find (so far). I did buy one pair...but they're regular length & I feel they should almost be longer. I'm sure I won't care once I'm too big to fit into my regular ones...

I don't know if you have a Kohls near you (or maybe you could try online) but they always have great sales, and they have maternity jeans that come in Petite, Regular, and Long. I just purchased my first pair of maternity pants from them. They are really comfortable and stylish. Hope that helps!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy a lot of maternity clothes this time, because I kept most of my earlier stuff. But some of it is 13 years old and, while in good condition, very out of style, and I just don't want to look like I'm wearing a tent! I went to Ross a couple weeks ago and got 2 cute blouses for less than $10 each.

When I was around 6 months along, the WIC nutritionist told me I should be eating 2200 calories a day! I'd only gained 6 lbs by then, but was in the 15-25 ideal gain category. Mind you, most days I don't get 2200 calories - usually around 1800, I think. My total gain at 37 weeks was 16 pounds. Don't know if that helps any. (The doc said I was doing fine, the 1800 is okay I guess)
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    Im right there with you Misti & A1schwei as regards to were we should be calorie wise?? :embarassed:

Misti, I think your right, it's going to vary from person to person...I have mine currently set at 1500 which is 1200 daily + 300 additional but I don't think I've ever hit that thru my 1st tri mester.

Any recommendations for the 2nd semester would be awesome (in this area)

I did change my to sedatary since all I seem to do lately is eat and sleep.....:laugh:

I too have been a bit perplexed about this issue, as I asked a similar question yesterday. I decided to do some additional research and this is what I've come up with...

During the first trimester, we don't really need any additional calories. Baby's growth is not significant enough to impact the fuel we take in for our bodies. In the second and third trimesters we need an additional 300 calories/day. I believe this additional caloric intake should be added to a maintenance calorie goal based on our pre-pregnancy weight.

babeed854-I think part of the reason you may have continued to lose weight is because of your calorie settings. I may be wrong, but based on information that my brother (who is a personal trainer) has given me in the past, 1200 calories/day for a woman is in the weight-loss category. Perhaps you need to modify your goals for the duration of your first trimester to a maintenance goal based on your current weight. And then play with the settings in your second and third trimesters to reflect an additional 300 calories/day.

Here is an example based on my real numbers:
    Pre-pregnancy weight 150lbs.
    My maintenance numbers for my first trimester (without any physical activity, and using sedentary as a lifestyle) should have been 1700 calories/day.
    Modifying my goals for my second and third trimester, this would mean I should consume approximately 2000 calories/day.

I know that seems high, but I'm in very good health **knock on wood**, and my OBGYN is really happy with my current weight progress. And those additional 300 calories/day are actually going straight to my baby. Theoretically my body should maintain at the 2000/day caloric intake.

I really hope this helps, and if anyone finds that the information I've provided is inaccurate, PLEASE CORRECT me!

Have a great day everyone!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    In regards to what to set the calorie setting to....It's all really confusing. I set mine to maintenence & though I'm just in the beginning of the 2nd trimester, I'll probably just keep it there. If I'm hungry, I'll eat more. That's my theory anyhow :bigsmile:
  • mistigoodwin
    Options
    Totally agree H_82. Your body will let you know what it needs.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Here is an example based on my real numbers:
    Pre-pregnancy weight 150lbs.
    My maintenance numbers for my first trimester (without any physical activity, and using sedentary as a lifestyle) should have been 1700 calories/day.
    Modifying my goals for my second and third trimester, this would mean I should consume approximately 2000 calories/day.

I know that seems high, but I'm in very good health **knock on wood**, and my OBGYN is really happy with my current weight progress. And those additional 300 calories/day are actually going straight to my baby. Theoretically my body should maintain at the 2000/day caloric intake.

I really hope this helps, and if anyone finds that the information I've provided is inaccurate, PLEASE CORRECT me!

Have a great day everyone!

thank you so much! that makes sense and i am comfortable with the numbers it gives me that way...
    my pre-prego weight 129ish (+/- 2 lbs) so my maintenance for first trimester were around 1610-1650 calories
    i just put my numbers in for gaining 0.5lb/week and it gave me 1860 calories/day which for me should be good...some days i will most likely hit 2000 even without exercise calories, but other days i might be a little under...my midwife wasn't concerned with my weight gain when i was in last week, but i want to be careful about not gaining too, too much while still gaining what my baby needs :) i haven't lost my appetite at all during my pregnancy, in fact eating is the only thing to keep me from feeling any nausea which has probably contributed to the early weight gain!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Rosanna you are spot on with your information! 1200 is WAY too low and is the least amount anyone should consume and is weight loss mode. Being pregnant nobody should ever diet (and eating less calories than it takes to sustain your weight is dieting). Women who are obese don't necessarily need to gain the same amount of weight that a woman with a normal BMI does but eating 800-1200 calories is not healthy.

I put information on the welcome page of the board but here it is again in a nutshell... During the first trimester we don't need additional calories. Set your calories to maintenance at your weight you are when you find out you are pregnant. Then during your second and third trimester you can change it to gain 1/2lb which should equal out to around 300 calories per day. You should also eat back most of your exercise calories. The amount of calories you consume is of course important but please remember that the quality of calories you consume is the key. If you consume 2000 calories of junk vs 2500 calories of veggies, fruits, lean meats that is much more important for you and your growing baby. I also agree that your body will tell you how much to eat if you listen to it. I eat when I am hungry and don't when I'm not. I fill my body with healthy food that fuels my body and helps my growing baby.

Here is another good website to go to for information regarding caloric intake during pregnancy:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

And here is a great resource for the kinds of foods you should be eating during pregnancy:
    http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/
  • sandijones5783
    sandijones5783 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, i am 6 weeks today and due may 10th,2012! I have spent the past year trying to loose weight and as of today i have lost 52lbs, this is my 3rd pregnancy and i want this to be my healthiest! I gained 65lbs with my first and 35lbs with my 2nd. I'm still considered over weight so i dont want to gain to much this time so i can continue on my fitness journey since right now I'm only13lbs away from my goal that i havent been since i got pregnant the first time over 6 yrs ago. Would love some more pregnant friends for support!
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Welcome, new folks! I have been feeling tired the whole 5 weeks of baby-growing so far (the 1st 2 weeks don't really count), but this past week has been just killer. I KNOW I need to get some exercise and that it will likely help me get my energy back. I WILL go to the gym tomorrow, or do a video at home. Just wish I didn't feel so dog-tired. I'm not working tomorrow so I should be able to go in the afternoon, when I'm more fresh and lively. My elliptical machine at the gym is missing me, I think!

Love hearing about everyone else's experiences, keep it coming!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!

Welcome sandi! Sounds like you are on the right track with the right frame of mind! Jump right in!

Go and reconnect with that poor elliptical machine madbabysmama! lol!

Today is another cool and overcast day. I'm gonna get in a hike this morning and an hour of strength training. I think my hormones have been raging lately cause all I want to do is sit around in my pj's and lay on the couch with my hubby and cuddle. Too bad I won't be seeing him until the weekend after next due to his work schedule and he is going out of town for 4 days. Oh well...

Well I hope you all have a wonderful, healthy Friday!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just have to share this text message I received from my hubby this morning. Thought it was cute and funny.

Eric: "Omg. I'm freaking out. There was a little girl who was sitting here in the clinic waiting room with her mom and dad who was so cute and seemed so well behaved. She was singing twinkle little star and she had pig tails. She was about 5 years old. I was like, 'awww...so precious.'"
    Me: "Awww...cute!"
    Eric: "AND THENNNNNNN....her dad was called to go see the doc and the demons inside her were released! As soon as her dad was through the doors she started crying for no reason. And when her mother started talking to her she just started crying louder. Really loud! And then when her mother picked her up to take her outside (because she refused to walk) she started SCREAMING!"
    Me: "Lmao. Maybe she's a daddy's girl."
    Eric: "It was ridiculous. I don't have the patience. What am I going to do?
    Me: "LOL You'll learn."
    Eric: "I don't know what flipped the switch in her little brain. She was calling out all the docs when they walked out saying 'daddy's doctor, daddy's doctor.' She seemed happy as a clam and understood her daddy was seeing the doctor. But as soon as he left she wigged the 'F' out! OMG Why hasn't someone designed a mute button for kids yet?"
    Me: "Haha! Calm down, all kids are different."

I was laughing so hard. He cracks me up. He's been so excited and I think that just kind of scared him. Haha!!
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Morning ladies!!

Just had a quick second....Thanks for the info on the caloric intake. Please know that I haven't been following MFP since I found out I was pregnant. It became too difficult for me. I was more naseaus than what I was actual eating and it was hard to track. So I just kept it at 1550 but never followed it. I would like to start in my 2nd tri mester but I don't know how that's going to work-

My weight loss isn't due to MFP or lack of eating....More to do with my body reacting to this baby....there was a period where I all the smells made me so sick I just couldnt' eat and water seems to taste really funny. Since then I have been put on some anti- naseau medication and I think it's helped?? I'm up 2 lbs and I'm very excited, but I'm still down 4 lbs from the first tri mester. I'm hoping my doctor shares my enthusiasm!

My doctor appt is next Wed so we'll see what he says. I've also stopped exercising due to exhaustion but have made a special effort this week to get out and at least walk for 30 + min. So far so good- except last night where I might have gotten to brave and almost ended up passing out on my hubby. I got really tired all of a sudden and then everything started spinning. I ended up sitting down for quite a while but we managed to enjoy the beautiful sunset together :smooched:

Love you ladies dearly and thank you all for your concern and all of your advice- I really do appreciate it! :smile:
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Happy Friday...whew! What a WEEK...I'm exhausted and all this office moving and stair climbing has worn me out! Lol. It doesn't help that up in these offices it's so HOT...I have a nice office window that doesn't open...lol oh well

Leaving bright and early for a road trip to Saskatchewan for my Grandfather's funeral - the whole family will be there. I'm just worried that our 8 hour drive will be more like 9-10 hours with all the stops we'll have to make for pee breaks :blushing: hoping I can hold it! lol

So...random but is anyone else around the 17 week mark feeling their baby move? This week I have been feeling it more and more! I think I have a really active baby on my hands, the baby starts moving (or what I can feel) usually right after work on my drive home and continues on until I go to bed...super weird! It's an interesting feeling! One that I'm definitely not used to yet! In my yoga class last night when I was doing downward dog or warrior it was like the baby would bust some sweet moves and it was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud...really cool though because I feel like I'm more in contact with the baby now ;) if that makes sense

Another random note...I just starting watching this show called Pregnant in Heels...wow it's addicting - it's so bad it's good...some of these women are nuts! lol...I guess that's what happens when people have TOO much money...this one couple hired experts to help them choose a perfect name for their baby to fit in with their "brand" and then hired a focus group to gauge reactions on the names and then hosted a dinner party with friends to get their opinions also...then at the end when it was all said and done they picked the name that everyone hated! LOL...good times, has anyone else seen it?
  • mistigoodwin
    Options
    Heather - I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take this wrong. I'm not recommending to anyone to eat less calories than they need. And I'm NOT dieting. I usually eat healthy calories, and when I'm full or not hungry I don't eat more just to make sure I got a specific amount of calories. I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. Everyone is different so by me eating a less amount of calories than what MFP says does not mean I'm dieting. Maybe I just dont understand the point of eating when I'm not hungry to get to a certain number of calories. My weight gain has been great so far, and baby is active and healthy with a good heart beat, so I must be doing something right.

Also, when I was eating 800 to 1000 calories a day, I was healthy, active, never tired and was within a healthy BMI range. Again not recommending what I did to anyone, as most people say it's not healthy, but I don't and never have had a large appetite for the most part, so that amount of calories worked great for me.

Just trying to clarify what my previous post meant, so again please don't think I'm being rude as I'm not trying to be.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!! Mine should be filled with football games!!!!! Busy, busy!!!
  • elaine8255
    elaine8255 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey there folks! I've been creeping for awhile but finally decided to post. I'm currently in my 9th week - and was pre-existingly diabetic (type 2). I'm not having any vomiting or nausea but i swear i want to eat everything in sight. Anyone else out there diabetic?
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Hey there folks! I've been creeping for awhile but finally decided to post. I'm currently in my 9th week - and was pre-existingly diabetic (type 2). I'm not having any vomiting or nausea but i swear i want to eat everything in sight. Anyone else out there diabetic?

Hi Elaine....I'm not diabetic but my hubby is (type 2) as well. Since it's on both sides of our family my doctor is keeping and extra close tab on this just to make sure that I don't head that direction.

We are bit advocates of diabetic healthy eating :smile:
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! The weekend is almost here.

babeed854: I didn't mean to bring unwanted attention! And I didn't presume you were still trying to adhere to a 1200 calorie/day diet, I simply wanted to use it as an opportunity to reach out to anyone that may have needed it. But I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better! Hopefully the meds will keep up the good work and/or you can start going without when you get further along in your pregnancy!

sandijones5783: Welcome!

kristy_estes21: Love the story. Sounds like my husband. :smile:

♥Rayna♥: I too felt the baby moving around a lot right around 17 weeks. And based on my doctor's reaction every time he listens to the heartbeat, I've got an active one rolling around in there. He can usually only listen for a few seconds because of all the swishing from the movement. Its an amazing feeling isn't it!
    On a different note...Sorry about your Grandfather.

I didn't get to start the yoga DVD last night that I'd hoped to. Working until 7pm combined with an overall stress-filled day, I knocked out on my couch not long after dinner. I'm the type that while I'm moving, I'm fine, but if I sit down...forget about it. Anything you ladies keep in your back pockets as motivators to keep you going after a long day? A chant perhaps? :tongue:
    I'm not really suffering from any pregnancy related fatigue, but some days just knock me down, and then I wake up the next day feeling terrible about not getting any activity into my previous day.

Anyhow...wishing everyone an amazing weekend!