Half Marathon training support group?

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    What training plans do you guys use? Galloway's, Higdon's, etc? I have 16 weeks until my half but I don't like a few plans I have seen where you don't actually run the full 13.1 until race day. I mentally need to have ran the full 13.1 before race day and I really want a plan that does that, but starts out at about 15 miles per week with a long run of about 6 miles.

Hope your 10K went great today linnea!!
  • What training plans do you guys use? Galloway's, Higdon's, etc? I have 16 weeks until my half but I don't like a few plans I have seen where you don't actually run the full 13.1 until race day. I mentally need to have ran the full 13.1 before race day and I really want a plan that does that, but starts out at about 15 miles per week with a long run of about 6 miles.

Hope your 10K went great today linnea!!

I have been working my mileage up on my long and medium runs weekly (thanks to the encouragement from a few people on this thread) adding about 10% per week. Whatever training plan you do, I am guessing that you could run the full 13.1 a week or 2 before the race and then again on race day.
  • Hey all, wondering if it makes more sense to move this thread to the Long Distance Runners group? I think many, if not all, are already members.

Working up the motivation to go run right now. I've already done an hour of pilates and a half hour of P90X, but I know I need to run. I've been slacking big time in runs of any distance since I joined the gym. I've been doing only 2-3 miles max, then doing a class. I need to do both!

I run after going to the gym but it's HARD to do a long run and the gym in the same day. I am at the gym Monday - Saturday and run 3 to 4 days a week. Tomorrow is a 10 mile run, but no gym. Tuesday is 2 hours at the gym and a 5 mile run. (I just realized that while typing it) Just make sure to fuel your body. It is such a cliche, but JUST DO IT.
  • lequire
    lequire Posts: 20 Member
    I'm super pumped to run my first half in Denver in March. I just started running in August and it is SUPER addicting but I hated running all my life because I was never good at it. Once I saw improvement I wasn't afraid anymore.

Yesterday I went for my longest run ever (6 miles) and it wasn't bad at all. I always feel like I still have some gas left in the tank so I am excited to get to 12 miles before xmas. For now I am working on basic endurance with some lifting and HIIT during the week but I have decided to start following a legit training plan after xmas.

As for gear, I haven't bought a belt yet, I am not looking forward to carrying anything while running. But I bought a Nike running jacket for $25 at TJ Maxx and just saw the same one at the Nike Outlet for $75! Yea buddy! Also bought a headlamp from REI and it has worked wonders so far.

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Ran my first 10k yesterday morning. It was fantastic! I was nervous to run it but felt confident that I trained enough for it. I ran it in 1:04:13 unofficial time. A 10:20 pace.:tongue: I ran the whole thing did not stop once and felt great like I could keep on running. It was an amazing feeling to see where I've come in the past year. Last November 5th, 2010 I ran my 1st 5k EVER, I ran it in 43:14. It was the 1st time I ran 3 miles straight. I was 42 pounds heavier. Yesterday, I ran to celebrate my 6 months on MFP and my new healthy lifestyle. Thank you all for your support!:heart:
  • JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Yesterday i ran a 4.3 trail race at a local state park. Never ran a trail race before. Wow was that a shock! The state is in the sand dunes on lake michigan. Everything was up and down hills over and over again. Thankfully with my training and making sure i include hills in my runs i didnt have a problem with this other then having to take it slower. Many people were having to walk from trying to go to fast on the hills. It ended with a mile run down the shore of the lake. I never have ran on the beach before. All in all it went good, i did land funny on a root going down one hill and twisted my ankle. Finished the whole thing in 40:41. came out to a 9:24 min pace. I was happy with that. Really enjoyed the race but it was no doubt the hardest course i have ever run.
  • Good job on the trail race Jon. Running through sandy hills!?! Wow that sounds tough.

linnea way to go on your 10k Good time!

It took me 2:20 to run my 10 mile long run today. I can honestly say that without some of the encouragement I have gotten from here. Last month 6 miles was my longest run ever. My only complaint: My left big toe HURTS! Saturday is 11 miles and I CANT WAIT.
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Congratulations linnea and Jon on great races!!!

I have my second half on Saturday so I'll be tapering this week :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I'm feeling much more confident about running again! On Saturday, I wasn't feeling terribly motivated to exercise. I did a hour long Pilates class, and I did P90X. But I had the time, and it was a nice afternoon, so I figured I'd head out on a quick 3 mile loop. I ended up doing my longest run ever at 7.12 miles! And my pace wasn't awful, I averaged under 11 minute miles.

I'm thrilled. Just a few months ago, I couldn't have run a block, let alone consecutive miles without a single walk break. I'm finally feeling like this half marathon (or even marathon!) might be doable.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Ran a 5 miler yesterday. My tendon is acting funny but I am hoping I can convince it that everything is finnnee.
  • Good job on the trail race Jon. Running through sandy hills!?! Wow that sounds tough.

linnea way to go on your 10k Good time!

It took me 2:20 to run my 10 mile long run today. I can honestly say that without some of the encouragement I have gotten from here. Last month 6 miles was my longest run ever. My only complaint: My left big toe HURTS! Saturday is 11 miles and I CANT WAIT.

I can honestly say that without some of the encouragement I have gotten from here...WHAT?

I meant to say I couldn't have done it without you guys encoragement. I guess I can't type late at night. SORRY!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    I finally did my first half marathon on Sunday! My time was 2.28.49. I'm not real thrilled with my time, I was hoping for better since I trained faster. But the humidity was 97% and it was hot. I'm planning on doing another on March 31st in Midland.
  • I finally did my first half marathon on Sunday! My time was 2.28.49. I'm not real thrilled with my time, I was hoping for better since I trained faster. But the humidity was 97% and it was hot. I'm planning on doing another on March 31st in Midland.

Congratulations! I think your time is AWESOME! I am hoping to finish in 3 hours.
  • sharonsjones
    Thank you!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Can I join in?!? I started running a couple mo ths ago and I'm I love!! Well I ran in the army but never enjoyed it lol. I currently have a very Forrest Gump approch to running and i need to have a plan. I'm up to 8 miles at a 9.5 min/mile pace when I run alone. About 10min mile pace when I push the kids in the jogging stroller on shorter distance. I am shooting to do a half by May. I just need the perverbial balls to sign up for it. Lol so hi everyone!!!
  • Can I join in?!? I started running a couple mo ths ago and I'm I love!! Well I ran in the army but never enjoyed it lol. I currently have a very Forrest Gump approch to running and i need to have a plan. I'm up to 8 miles at a 9.5 min/mile pace when I run alone. About 10min mile pace when I push the kids in the jogging stroller on shorter distance. I am shooting to do a half by May. I just need the perverbial balls to sign up for it. Lol so hi everyone!!!

Welcome! Good pace. I am lucky to get an 11:00 mile.
  • sharonsjones
    My next half marathon is March 31st so I think instead of cutting back on my milage and having to start training again, I'm going to keep up running between 8-10 miles on Saturday for my long runs. Maybe that way my indurance will increase and I'll have a better time on the next half.

I like having something to work twowards and I'm feeling kinda strange right now since all the anticipation for the half is gone and its months away till my next one. Maybe there will be some 5ks or 10ks in the area I can do. I like having the anticipation and excitement of an upcoming race.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Wanted to run last night and rolled my ankle and scraped my hand :( I took it easy but I did some strength training today and ran 4 miles with the doggy :) Hope everyone is having a good day!
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    I also ran my first half marathon last Sunday. I got 2:45:33, a full 15 mins slower than my training group's practice half, but I had to take the last three weeks off entirely from running because of shin splints that the doc thought was borderline becoming a fracture. But after those 3 weeks, much babying and kinesio taping it before the race, ran pain free. My thighs are another story ;) They were not happy to come out of hibernation :)

I'm planning on doing my next in April. There is a challenge where you run a 5k on Saturday then the half on Sunday. Taking this week to rest, then going to taper back in again to start training.
  • sharonsjones
    I also ran my first half marathon last Sunday. I got 2:45:33, a full 15 mins slower than my training group's practice half, but I had to take the last three weeks off entirely from running because of shin splints that the doc thought was borderline becoming a fracture. But after those 3 weeks, much babying and kinesio taping it before the race, ran pain free. My thighs are another story ;) They were not happy to come out of hibernation :)

I'm planning on doing my next in April. There is a challenge where you run a 5k on Saturday then the half on Sunday. Taking this week to rest, then going to taper back in again to start training.

OMG I bet that was hard after taking 3 weeks off! Congrats on your half!!