Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am looking to try to run my first half March 31st...the day after my 28th birthday.

I am signed up to run my first 5k on Thanksgiving. I am currently at about 55 minutes for a 3 miles. So going to try to improve that time.

My question to you experienced halfers...is it reasonable to attempt to go from a 5k to a half marathon in 4 months?

I plan on reading through this entire posting to get all the tips and info I can to avoid double question asking :o)
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    My next half marathon is March 31st so I think instead of cutting back on my milage and having to start training again, I'm going to keep up running between 8-10 miles on Saturday for my long runs. Maybe that way my indurance will increase and I'll have a better time on the next half.

I like having something to work twowards and I'm feeling kinda strange right now since all the anticipation for the half is gone and its months away till my next one. Maybe there will be some 5ks or 10ks in the area I can do. I like having the anticipation and excitement of an upcoming race.

Congrats again on your half!! I can't believe you had 97% humidity! That would have definitely slowed me down!!

That's how I felt after my first half. It was weird not working towards a race, so I immediately started looking for another one before the end of the year. After Saturday though I'll be back there. Plus, with winter fast approaching, I need the motivation of a race to get me out there when it's cold and dark. Guess I'll have to find one in March?
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I finally did my first half marathon on Sunday! My time was 2.28.49. I'm not real thrilled with my time, I was hoping for better since I trained faster. But the humidity was 97% and it was hot. I'm planning on doing another on March 31st in Midland.

Awesome job Sharon! You should be so proud of yourself...Great time and great accomplishment!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My next half marathon is March 31st so I think instead of cutting back on my milage and having to start training again, I'm going to keep up running between 8-10 miles on Saturday for my long runs. Maybe that way my indurance will increase and I'll have a better time on the next half.

I like having something to work twowards and I'm feeling kinda strange right now since all the anticipation for the half is gone and its months away till my next one. Maybe there will be some 5ks or 10ks in the area I can do. I like having the anticipation and excitement of an upcoming race.

Congrats again on your half!! I can't believe you had 97% humidity! That would have definitely slowed me down!!

That's how I felt after my first half. It was weird not working towards a race, so I immediately started looking for another one before the end of the year. After Saturday though I'll be back there. Plus, with winter fast approaching, I need the motivation of a race to get me out there when it's cold and dark. Guess I'll have to find one in March?

Good luck on Saturday! Thats exactly what I did, as soon as were home I was looking for the one I found and theres another one in August, I think, in Ft. Davis that we plan on doing too.

I hate running in the winter just because I don't like running in the dark, but its still better than running on the treadmill!
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    I finally did my first half marathon on Sunday! My time was 2.28.49. I'm not real thrilled with my time, I was hoping for better since I trained faster. But the humidity was 97% and it was hot. I'm planning on doing another on March 31st in Midland.

Awesome job Sharon! You should be so proud of yourself...Great time and great accomplishment!

Thank you!
  • slb106
    Options
    Finished my second half today with a new PR...2:12:23!! So excited! Time to find my next one :)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Spontaneous entry into a 5 k tomorrow! I hope it feels good since I'm signed up for one next week too!
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    Finished my second half today with a new PR...2:12:23!! So excited! Time to find my next one :)

Congratulations! That is an awesome time!
  • Brianfit50
    Options
    Hoping to do a half marathon in March, currently doing three runs of 30 mins per week.Looking forward to reading comments and advice in this thread, good luck everyone.:flowerforyou:
  • slb106
    Options
    Thanks! The last few miles were tough because I went out too fast. I had trouble pacing myself because they didn't have mile markers and they didn't group runners by finish time like they were supposed to. So I didn't know the pace of others around me. When I got to 10 miles, I realized that I had been running just under a 10 min/mile pace and my normal pace is about 10:30 min/mile. So my last few miles were a bit slower, but my overall pace came out to 10:06 min/mile. Regardless, I'm happy and I had a great time!! (And the finisher's medal is AWESOME!!!) :smile:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The last few miles were tough because I went out too fast. I had trouble pacing myself because they didn't have mile markers and they didn't group runners by finish time like they were supposed to. So I didn't know the pace of others around me. When I got to 10 miles, I realized that I had been running just under a 10 min/mile pace and my normal pace is about 10:30 min/mile. So my last few miles were a bit slower, but my overall pace came out to 10:06 min/mile. Regardless, I'm happy and I had a great time!! (And the finisher's medal is AWESOME!!!) :smile:

Fantastic job!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Great job!!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • linnea213
    Options

Congrats!
  • JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Options
    Did anyone else do a turkey trot yesterday? I did one for the first time. Was a great way to start out a good day with family. Finished a 5k in 25:30 which came out to a 8:13 mile pace. Did some digging yesterday and from a 5k race i did in june on almost the same date i have trimmed two and a half minutes off my time. Not to shabby for 4 months of work i thought. Hope everyone had a great holiday.
  • linnea213
    Options
    Great job Jon! I did a 4 mile turkey trot in my hometown yesterday. Lots of hills but I was happy with my time. I finished in 39:43, a 9:58 minute mile. A PR for me!!! Happy...Happy...Happy :)
  • wackynunu
    Options
    Did anyone else do a turkey trot yesterday? I did one for the first time. Was a great way to start out a good day with family. Finished a 5k in 25:30 which came out to a 8:13 mile pace. Did some digging yesterday and from a 5k race i did in june on almost the same date i have trimmed two and a half minutes off my time. Not to shabby for 4 months of work i thought. Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Awesome time! A few gym people got together at the park and ran about 4 miles with stations set up every 100 yards or so. It was a nice workout. My time has been HORRIBLE lately! 15 minute miles?!? My body is rejecting me. My half is Saturday, they might be sweeping the street behind my heels, but I WILL MAKE IT!
  • linnea213
    Options
    So the half marathon in my hometown is the 1st weekend in May. I'm nervous but excited at the same time. i think I'm going to sign up this week!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I did a 5k. PR for me too! 8min mile 24:51 :)
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ran my 1st half marathon last week on Thanksgiving! Goal was under 2:30.

They didn't have us grouped by pace either, so we ran by feel for the first few miles, realizing that we had committed the cardinal sin and started out way too fast... nearly one minute/mile faster than we intended! It's so hard to hold back, running in crowds pumps me up! But we felt good, strong, so we decided to keep at it. About the halfway point things started to look up... and by that I mean the hills just kept coming. I do train on hills, but after reviewing the climb after the run, I found it was nearly twice the climb I'd been used to! Definitely an area to improve upon for the next time.... But I digress, I somehow still felt amazing until mile 11, and although I felt exhausted and nearly wiped out, there was no way I was stopping! Pushed through the last 2 miles and sprinted to the finish with the last few ounces of energy I had left. Official time 2:25:38!

I was pretty tired the rest of the day but the next day I felt pretty good! Ran again 2 days later and I've already registered for my next HM... a flatter course in February... hoping to PR!
  • linnea213
    Options
    Ran my 1st half marathon last week on Thanksgiving! Goal was under 2:30.

They didn't have us grouped by pace either, so we ran by feel for the first few miles, realizing that we had committed the cardinal sin and started out way too fast... nearly one minute/mile faster than we intended! It's so hard to hold back, running in crowds pumps me up! But we felt good, strong, so we decided to keep at it. About the halfway point things started to look up... and by that I mean the hills just kept coming. I do train on hills, but after reviewing the climb after the run, I found it was nearly twice the climb I'd been used to! Definitely an area to improve upon for the next time.... But I digress, I somehow still felt amazing until mile 11, and although I felt exhausted and nearly wiped out, there was no way I was stopping! Pushed through the last 2 miles and sprinted to the finish with the last few ounces of energy I had left. Official time 2:25:38!

I was pretty tired the rest of the day but the next day I felt pretty good! Ran again 2 days later and I've already registered for my next HM... a flatter course in February... hoping to PR!

That is awesome and a great time for a first...CONGRATS!