Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    This part of your post is relevant.
    I don't believe in it.

And this part....
    Guess what? You're not a Caveman anymore. Your body has evolved, Your diet should too.
    ...is just you being a d-bag.

Enjoy! But let me know how that works out for you in 5 Years. If you can stick to it for 5 Years. I am a d-bag and a Grandmom.

WOW
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I really like the concept of clean eating and whole foods, but I simply cannot eat that much meat. I veer towards vegetarian, and eat meat maybe one meal a week.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get a revolution started................DEATH TO MONSANTO!!!! Eat Local and Sustainable!!!

Now this I can get behind!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    This thread is amazing. I'm both considering it and wetting my pants laughing.

i agree.... its like a breath of fresh air after all the stupid exercise calorie posts!!
  • dls06
    Options
    Guess what? You're not a Caveman anymore. Your body has evolved, Your diet should too.
    I don't believe in it.

Oh Lord.... If our bodies had evolved that much then we wouldn't be gaining weight like crazy on modern foods would we?

Totally agree!!!! we have only eaten like crap for the past 100 years!!! Microwavable food and all the junk has only been around decades!

It's the choices we make that make us fat. We make the choice to eat like crap. Fresh whole foods are available to everyone but if we choose not to eat them we only have ourselves to blame.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This part of your post is relevant.
    I don't believe in it.

And this part....
    ...is just you being a d-bag.

Enjoy! But let me know how that works out for you in 5 Years. If you can stick to it for 5 Years. I am a d-bag and a Grandmom.

Geez!!! THAT was uncalled for. Lighten up. Have a Twinkie.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I just finished a 30 day Paleo challenge and LOVED IT. I lost 11 lbs and feel fantastic. My sleep has improved greatly, despite two wee ones who like to wake me up at night and I no longer get the mid afternoon slumps. I eat loads of veggies, some fruit and meat. It's great. The challenge ended yesterday but I am not going back to eating grains, legumes or soy. I have decided to lighten up a bit from the challenge and have wine and dark chocolate, as well as some dairy when necessary (ie when it is in curries and stuff)

I went Primal just as an experiment at the end April - after reaching my goal. 9.6lbs in 6 months. I hit 120.4 back then. I just logged 110.6 this morning. It isn't a fad. It's just getting rid of boxed processed foods and going back to food the body knows (I don't touch low-carb processed foods either). And cutting out foods that cause gut issues and inflammation, obesity, diabetes. I had some non-Primal food last Saturday (heavenly fried yeast rolls) and my body is only just now getting back to normal. I eat veggies and berries, nuts, meat, fish and lots of fats. And my belly is gone!!

There is a man at the place I work who has been Paleo for 30 years (I would say he is in his late 50s). While everyone else his age around here have huge bellies, are coughing and hacking, are diabetic, wearing glasses, dragging themselves around he is slender, walks with a bounce in his step, is very, very healthy, still no need for glasses. I don't understand how eating natural, real, whole food is unsustainable.

I have read numerous success stories of people curing diabetes, infertility, high cholesterol and blood pressure, PCOS. Parents have even brought their child out of autism be removing grains from the diet. It helps keep my Fibromyalgia away. Anecdotal - sure but in the lifestyle I follow N = a whole lot of people.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Your body has evolved, Your diet should too.

Yeah, but those "evolved" diets don't seem to be working out terribly well for humanity. If it doesn't have the term "caveman" or "paleo" slapped in front of it, is a diet of vegetables, meats, fruits and nuts not "evolved"? If not, how is it not?

Is it better to take advantage of the latest in "food technology" offered up by Kraft, General Mills and the like? If so, why? Please point me to the advantage these foods provide besides price and convenience (neither of which are related to the body, which you cited in your comment).
    [/quote]

I'm not bashing Paleo or Primal or Caveman or whatever you call it. I don't see any reason they can't be followed healthily. But it's also quite possible to follow a non-paleo/primal/cave diet and NOT eat Kraft, General Mills and the like. Grains taste good and are healthy. Not grains processed to the point that they are little better than sugar. Healthy, yummy, nutitious whole grains.

This of course would not apply to anyone with a medical condition that causes their body to digest grains inappropriately. If your body is diseased or allergic then obviously general food guidelines would not apply.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    sometimes i go out and club animals, then drag them home and cook them over a fire and make clothes out of their fur. but i've always considered this more of a sport/hobby than a diet.

BUT do you do it in a loincloth? :bigsmile:

I would now. I would be proud to wear one because for the first time in my life I would look damn good in one. Halloween is coming up...hmmmm....

And I don't eat dirt but ever wonder why an infant will? It's instinct - our ancestors did and they got a lot of good bacteria from it (gut flora). I certainly wouldn't trust the dirt these days though.

I didn't know that grains and flour were causing all my digestive issues until I knocked them out. It was a hell of a lot easier than spending tons of $$ at the doctors for them to spend months trying to figure it out. Try it as an experiment and see how you feel (remember that going from high-carb to low-carb can cause "carb flu" and your body figures out what to do. It can last for a few days to several weeks. I never really felt it myself).
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    I don't believe in it.

So… you don’t think it exists?

To the OP, I follow a paleo lifestyle and love it. The massive amount of grains that we are told we “need” causes more problems than people realize. About 65% of my calories come from meat, the rest from vegetables, and some fruit, nuts and oils (olive and coconut). I have more energy, stay full longer, and get plenty of fiber and calcium (which are generally arguments against this type of lifestyle)

Yep the grains are mineral-binding and calcium along with magnesium, iron, copper, zinc will bind to them (grains don't breakdown in the gut so we don't absorb the nutrients in them) and will stop our gut from absorbing them.
    And I think fiber is overrated but I get plenty from veggies and fruit. Fruit fiber does more for my gut than veggie fiber - I can still get issues even from veggie fiber.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    I don't believe in it.

um. no. the paleo diet starts pre-agriculture - ~10,000 years ago - evolution doesn't work that fast.

If you don't believe in it, no one cares. if you've found something positive about it that has benefited you then by all means please share.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I say anything which sounds fun and interesting and healthy is worth a try for a while. I'll probably do it at some point.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    Bump
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    never heard ot if, so, i googled it, and these actually sound really good....

Spicy Pecans
    4 tsp cinnamon
    1-1/2 tsp ginger
    3/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp ground cayenne
    2 egg whites
    1/4 cup raw honey
    5 cups pecan halves (or walnuts)

In small bowl, combine cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cayenne. In
    large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy; add honey, whisk again just
    until egg whites and honey are combined. Add nuts a cup at a time in the
    egg and honey mixture. Remove and toss in the spices. Repeat again until
    all the nuts have been coated.

Spread on 2 lightly greased baking sheets; bake at 250 for one hour,
    rotating sheets halfway through baking, or until coating is crisp and nuts
    are fragrant. Let cool.

I'm trying this one. YUM!!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    I have a buddy that swears by the Paleo diet. Although panned whe it was first written about decades ago, some doctors are coming around to it. But even they are cautious in embracing full Paleo, it seems a more Paleo-lite diet would be more appropriate since yogurts, milks and grains do have benefits that we need. But the theory is as sound as anyother diet I've ever heard of.

Mark Sasson believes in this. If you have dairy issues then forgo the dairy. If you have no issues then enjoy the benefit but eat full-fat yogurt (like greek not Yo-plait). And grains don't down break down in our gut so we don't get the benefits of the nutrients in them. Our body doesn't have the necessary enzymes for breaking the down (ingestion doesn't equal digestion or absorption). It is a sound theory.
  • dls06
    Options
    I don't believe in it.

um. no. the paleo diet starts pre-agriculture - ~10,000 years ago - evolution doesn't work that fast.

If you don't believe in it, no one cares. if you've found something positive about it that has benefited you then by all means please share.

I thought this site was about opinions. Oh as long as it's not different then yours? Eating Fast and Processed food makes you fat. If you make that choice it's on you. There are healthy choices people could make they just choose not to.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    I don't believe in it.

Oh Lord.... If our bodies had evolved that much then we wouldn't be gaining weight like crazy on modern foods would we?

Oh ya, sure. It's the "modern foods" that are making us fat, not the fact that we are overeating and doing nothing but sitting on our lazy *kitten*.

Responsibility people...take it.

There are many, many people that are no overeating. It is due to the GMO grains, added sugar, starch and don't get me started about all the added soy and HFCS into all those processed foods.

You should really consider doing some reading and research.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

I believe the things you named can be bad for your health, but with strict portion control you can eat them and still be skinny.

...of course skinny=/= to healthy.

I don't have strict portions at all. That is impossible to do the rest of your life. I want to enjoy my life not spend it obsessing about food and doing constant exercise. I am lean (I don't like the word skinny - I don't like the pictures that come with it). I am low body fat and have decent lean muscle mass - nice definition. I get my carbs from veggies and fruits and I eat as much meat and fat as I want. I do very little exercise. Most obese people I know don't overeat. It's what they eat. Obese people have some serious muscles mass - they have to to carry the weight - so their bodies are burning some serious calories. I'm 5'2" and 110.6 (as of this morning) and I can burn 2800 on an active day (no exercise involved) and 1700 on a lazy day.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Lol, does anyone else appreciate how badly Chris LaLanne is cropped/photoshopped in his bio pic?

http://thepaleodiet.com/about/

It's like he cropped out his hair.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I don't believe in it.

Completely agree!!! We havent evolved... the food has. Lol.
    right on
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    HI! I think we should have a new saying here at MFP "Keep it civil or get it locked"

Seems everyone is having fun, exchanging info with discussion..........no need to get mean.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I know you can have a differing opinion without attacking/slamming/inisulting other users.

Have a good day:flowerforyou:

Arewethereyet
    Volunteer MFP Moderator

Editied to add: I cleaned up as much as I can, deleted the most offensive. I am on vacation folks-give me a break huh? :wink:
    Now, I am on my way to breakfast and a fast bikeride downhill, don't get to do that in South Fla much!

Have a good day