Caveman diet!?!?!?!?! Anyone try this?

Options

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    HI! I think we should have a new saying here at MFP "Keep it civil or get it locked"

Seems everyone is having fun, exchanging info with discussion..........no need to get mean.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I know you can have a differing opinion without attacking/slamming/inisulting other users.

Have a good day:flowerforyou:

Arewethereyet
    Volunteer MFP Moderator

Editied to add: I cleaned up as much as I can, deleted the most offensive. I am on vacation folks-give me a break huh? :wink:
    Now, I am on my way to breakfast and a fast bikeride downhill, don't get to do that in South Fla much!

Have a good day

Thank you!!! :flowerforyou: Kudos to the moderators!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in it.

So… you don’t think it exists?

To the OP, I follow a paleo lifestyle and love it. The massive amount of grains that we are told we “need” causes more problems than people realize. About 65% of my calories come from meat, the rest from vegetables, and some fruit, nuts and oils (olive and coconut). I have more energy, stay full longer, and get plenty of fiber and calcium (which are generally arguments against this type of lifestyle)

Yep the grains are mineral-binding and calcium along with magnesium, iron, copper, zinc will bind to them (grains don't breakdown in the gut so we don't absorb the nutrients in them) and will stop our gut from absorbing them.
    And I think fiber is overrated but I get plenty from veggies and fruit. Fruit fiber does more for my gut than veggie fiber - I can still get issues even from veggie fiber.

Agreed. Fiber is way overrated. Leaky Gut Syndrome from grains anyone??? I get the fiber my body needs from vegetables and minimal fruit. Fat is more important for the digestive system than fiber. I smooth move everyday as long as my fat intake and water intake is adequate.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Eliminate or GREATLY reduce your consumption of processed foods, eat a well-balanced diet of whole foods = mondo health benefits. That's what a lot of it boils down to.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Eliminate or GREATLY reduce your consumption of processed foods, eat a well-balanced diet of whole foods = mondo health benefits. That's what a lot of it boils down to.

Well, basically that is what the Paleo / Primal lifestyle does................it eliminates the processed foods.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Your body has evolved, Your diet should too.

Yeah, but those "evolved" diets don't seem to be working out terribly well for humanity. If it doesn't have the term "caveman" or "paleo" slapped in front of it, is a diet of vegetables, meats, fruits and nuts not "evolved"? If not, how is it not?

Is it better to take advantage of the latest in "food technology" offered up by Kraft, General Mills and the like? If so, why? Please point me to the advantage these foods provide besides price and convenience (neither of which are related to the body, which you cited in your comment).
    [/quote]

So agree!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Leaky Gut Syndrome from grains anyone??? I

Um, nope. I've been eating grains for more than half a century and nothing leaking here. Jesus ate bread. Just sayin ...
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of it until the other day. My husband found out about it & decieded to try it. I have to say it is the first time he has ever shown any interest in his diet & exercise. It's only been a week for him but, he seems to enjoy it. So I say what have you got to lose?!?!? Give it a try ~ it's the only way to know if you'll like it & if it'll work for you.
  • Grokette
    Options

Um, nope. I've been eating grains for more than half a century and nothing leaking here. Jesus ate bread. Just sayin ...

From everything I have researched the whole Jesus ate bread is figurative, not literal..................
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

From everything I have researched the whole Jesus ate bread is figurative, not literal..................

There is a recipe in the bible for bread (that Jesus gave) and ONLY ONE company makes it that way!!! Its called ezekiel bread, all other breads are made with too much junk..... if and when i eat bread, its this or our home made gluten free bread!!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Yeah, but those "evolved" diets don't seem to be working out terribly well for humanity. If it doesn't have the term "caveman" or "paleo" slapped in front of it, is a diet of vegetables, meats, fruits and nuts not "evolved"? If not, how is it not?

Is it better to take advantage of the latest in "food technology" offered up by Kraft, General Mills and the like? If so, why? Please point me to the advantage these foods provide besides price and convenience (neither of which are related to the body, which you cited in your comment).

I'm not bashing Paleo or Primal or Caveman or whatever you call it. I don't see any reason they can't be followed healthily. But it's also quite possible to follow a non-paleo/primal/cave diet and NOT eat Kraft, General Mills and the like. Grains taste good and are healthy. Not grains processed to the point that they are little better than sugar. Healthy, yummy, nutitious whole grains.

This of course would not apply to anyone with a medical condition that causes their body to digest grains inappropriately. If your body is diseased or allergic then obviously general food guidelines would not apply.

Perhaps, but the original comment said "Your diet SHOULD evolve too." What is uniquely advantageous to the body about eating grains? I am asking honestly here.
  • veganbaum
    Options

Well, basically that is what the Paleo / Primal lifestyle does................it eliminates the processed foods.

Hence why I said "That's what a lot of it boils down to." While diets like paleo or vegan may advocate cutting out certain food groups, most people who eat SAD will experience health benefits from eliminating or reducing processed foods and eating a balanced whole foods diet. A lot of health claims made by paleo can be said for veganism as well - things like lowered cholesterol and the like. It's not like there's some big secret here about improving health. Vegans and paleos will disagree about certain things (ie the benefits of cutting out grains or dairy), and both will have studies to back them up, though studies of plant-based diets go back farther - but a lot of the benefits of both boil down to eating a well-balanced whole foods diet, like I said. It's what is viewed as extreme for both diets that makes some people wary or simply question. But really, given how most people in industrialized nations eat, a heck of a lot of people can just start by cutting out the processed and focusing on the whole foods.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I'm not bashing Paleo or Primal or Caveman or whatever you call it. I don't see any reason they can't be followed healthily. But it's also quite possible to follow a non-paleo/primal/cave diet and NOT eat Kraft, General Mills and the like. Grains taste good and are healthy. Not grains processed to the point that they are little better than sugar. Healthy, yummy, nutitious whole grains.

This of course would not apply to anyone with a medical condition that causes their body to digest grains inappropriately. If your body is diseased or allergic then obviously general food guidelines would not apply.

Perhaps, but the original comment said "Your diet SHOULD evolve too." What is uniquely advantageous to the body about eating grains? I am asking honestly here.

I have no idea if there is any uniquely advantageous to eating grains. But I also know that grains are not unhealthy for humans, while acknowleging that they may be bad for specific humas who have certain medical conditions.
  • Grokette
    Options
    What can a person get from grains that makes them so healthy that they can't get from vegetables???????? Grains are not the healthy source of anything.

Nothing, except for leaky gut syndrome.

Grains can not be eaten raw, therefore they are always a processed food. Not healthy. They also have to be fortified with vitamins and minerals so they can be marketed as healthy.

The fiber myth is so that people continue to think they need grains all the while creating chronic inflammation in the body.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Grains can not be eaten raw, therefore they are always a processed food. Not healthy. They also have to be fortified with vitamins and minerals so they can be marketed as healthy.

The fiber myth is so that people continue to think they need grains all the while creating chronic inflammation in the body.

See when somone says something crazy like that is when I start thinking "fad diet".
  • veganbaum
    Options
    What can a person get from grains that makes them so healthy that they can't get from vegetables???????? Grains are not the healthy source of anything.

Did I miss something about the paleo diet and raw meat? If meat is cooked, does that mean it's processed? What do you mean that grains are fortified with vitamins and minerals? Dairy has been shown to create inflammation in some people as well - studies can be found to support nearly anything. In terms of "leaky gut syndrome" I certainly don't have it and I eat grains every day. Being aggressive about a point of view only turns people away. I could go on and on about the treatment of animals in the typical industrial farming industry and the studies that have shown the detrimental effects of meat and dairy, but I don't - I can put my opinion out there and tell people to go do their own research, why should they listen to some person they don't know over the internet? I wouldn't, I can take someone's opinion, maybe think it's interesting, and go and do my own research - a debate with some unknown person over the internet isn't going to change my mind, no matter how passionate the person is.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

There are plenty of benefits to grains. Hmmm, how about energy production? Glucose is the primary source of energy for anyone exercising above ~65% of their max heart rate. That means foods that break down into glucose faster will fuel exercise faster. Gluconeogenesis and ketosis are not as fast and efficient at breaking down into sugar as sugar. Sugar comes from carbs. Grains are a good source of carbs.

It's not rocket science.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Jeez, people, it seems most of the dissenters know absolutely nothing about "eating paleo" besides the five pages they've read on this message board. Why don't you do the actual research if you care that much to argue about it - I'm talking reading medical studies, etc., and maybe even, GEE I DON'T KNOW the actual paleo theory, instead of throwing out random thoughts on a subject you don't even fully understand and believing you know something based on crap you read on a message board. You might learn something. This is about actual science.

While you're at it, look up the actual nutritional values in grains and compare them to other vegetables, before you make sweeping generalizations on the subject. See, then you can make an informed decision and post something valid. You know, something other than "GRRR FAD DIET."

For the record, I could care less if you eat grains or not. This is about making informed decisions and creating valid opinions. I'm not going to sit around and lecture on a subject I know nothing about, and I am sure not going to listen to anything said about a subject by a person who clearly has never even thought about it, much less done the work to understand it fully.

One last thought, as it relates to supposed "marketing schemes" and such - Nothing about the way I eat financially benefits anyone in the world except some local organic farmers, and I'm really fine with that. I'm not purchasing anything from anyone that I don't need to survive. Pretty sure a lot of people making food purchases are getting sucked into much more of a marketing scheme than a true paleo. Now go to the library already.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Jeez, people, it seems most of the dissenters know absolutely nothing about "eating paleo" besides the five pages they've read on this message board. Why don't you do the actual research if you care that much to argue about it - I'm talking reading medical studies, etc., and maybe even, GEE I DON'T KNOW the actual paleo theory, instead of throwing out random thoughts on a subject you don't even fully understand and believing you know something based on crap you read on a message board. You might learn something. This is about actual science.

While you're at it, look up the actual nutritional values in grains and compare them to other vegetables, before you make sweeping generalizations on the subject. See, then you can make an informed decision and post something valid. You know, something other than "GRRR FAD DIET."

For the record, I could care less if you eat grains or not. This is about making informed decisions and creating valid opinions. I'm not going to sit around and lecture on a subject I know nothing about, and I am sure not going to listen to anything said about a subject by a person who clearly has never even thought about it, much less done the work to understand it fully.

One last thought, as it relates to supposed "marketing schemes" and such - Nothing about the way I eat financially benefits anyone in the world except some local organic farmers, and I'm really fine with that. I'm not purchasing anything from anyone that I don't need to survive. Pretty sure a lot of people making food purchases are getting sucked into much more of a marketing scheme than a true paleo. Now go to the library already.

What you don't seem to understand is that most of the posts are not against the paleo diet. Personally, I think (and have posted several times) that it can be a healthy diet. The "dissenting" posts are mostly in response to those that spout things like "grains are bad for you" or imply that anything other than paleo is not healthy. There is absolutely no medical research showing that paleo is the only healthy wayt to eat. And there is plenty of medical research showing that grains are healthy to eat (again, barring a medical condition, which would be true of any food).
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    LUSCADERO....Babycakes are you near CHicago?? me and you need to go caveman and cave girl style and getr ripped(drunk) on some grapes!!!!!! :devil:
  • Grokette
    Options

What you don't seem to understand is that most of the posts are not against the paleo diet. Personally, I think (and have posted several times) that it can be a healthy diet. The "dissenting" posts are mostly in response to those that spout things like "grains are bad for you" or imply that anything other than paleo is not healthy. There is absolutely no medical research showing that paleo is the only healthy wayt to eat. And there is plenty of medical research showing that grains are healthy to eat (again, barring a medical condition, which would be true of any food).

The tables are turning on "grains" being healthy to eat. There is so much medical research to say otherwise. Keep listening to the government.