50+ Women

Options

Replies

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Well I'm back from lunch and have a short story to tell. When ordering my pre-selected meal of soup and a small roll, the lady said and for dessert?? I said nothing thanks, My friend ordered a cookie with her lunch. I already had gone to our table but when my friend came she said, the lady included a free cookie for your friend! Now being half scot that would have thrilled me to get something for nothing but my motivation held strong and I refused to take the silly cookie from my friend. As a food junkie - make that a former food junkie, things that make it all the harder to be good.
    I'm sorry if you may think it silly of me to bask in these tiny steps but I have had 1/2 a lifetime of taking those steps in the wrong direction.

Kathy - just think of the $$ you will save by by-passing the concession stand at the theatre!! ( 6 bucks to get in and 15 bucks for popcorn!!

Mommared - only 8 lbs to your weight goal - go you!!

Heather
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Well I'm back from lunch and have a short story to tell. When ordering my pre-selected meal of soup and a small roll, the lady said and for dessert?? I said nothing thanks, My friend ordered a cookie with her lunch. I already had gone to our table but when my friend came she said, the lady included a free cookie for your friend! Now being half scot that would have thrilled me to get something for nothing but my motivation held strong and I refused to take the silly cookie from my friend. As a food junkie - make that a former food junkie, things that make it all the harder to be good.
    I'm sorry if you may think it silly of me to bask in these tiny steps but I have had 1/2 a lifetime of taking those steps in the wrong direction.

Kathy - just think of the $$ you will save by by-passing the concession stand at the theatre!! ( 6 bucks to get in and 15 bucks for popcorn!!

Mommared - only 8 lbs to your weight goal - go you!!

Heather

Thanks Heather.

It's not silly at all to bask in the tiny steps. Those tiny steps eventually add up to accomplishing your goals. Good for you for refusing the free cookie. I'm proud of you. :flowerforyou:

Betty
  • mommared53
    Options
    Good job to you ladies. I weighed in this morning and only lost 8 ounces since last official weigh in. :mad: I tried so hard the last few days and I was hoping to be 147.8 at the most but NO! the scale stayed at 180.0. :mad: Well I guess losing 8 ounces is better than gaining 8 ounces and also better than not losing anything. :grumble: I'm still not happy. My goal for next week is 147.0.

Ok, I'm done ranting now. Hope everyone has a good day. :flowerforyou:

Betty

Oops, the scale stayed at 148.0 pounds not 180.0. I would have really been mad if it had gone up to 180 again after losing 30 pounds last year. :laugh:
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    Hey all!!!! Looks like everyone's making good progress...Congrats and great job :drinker: :drinker:

I got wrapped up in watching a couple of hearings this morning and afternoon, and subsequently didn't get my hour in today...I did 30 mins on the dreadmill, so all was not lost....I am trying as hard as I can to avoid the scale and tape measure until Feb 1st....

Talk to y'all tomorrow....Have a great evening ....:flowerforyou:
    vee
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Off to the gym. Got to burn, burn, burn, my fat away! :explode:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I'v chosen this picture because I feel like I'm stuck in the weight loss plan right now.:frown: :frown:

90222_7644_thumb.jpg?1231347703

Love this picture. Boy, I can relate to it.

Kathy
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Heather, I read your story about the free cookie. Had that been me, the story would have had a different outcome. In fact, I was at Panera's and didn't get anything free, but voluntarily went back to get a big sticky bun and coffee. Just didn't have willpower. I will think of you the next time I'm tempted. Hope that works.

I've just been in an overall slump since the new year. I have gone to the gym every-other day, which I know isn't good enough. I'm going to miss my exercise class this monring because my "baby"is going back to college and I want to make him breakfast and spend those last few minutes with him (he's going back earlier than expected). He also left me several pants and shirts to be ironed. He knows I[m putty especially now that he's leaving.

My oldest one came home last night to see the dentist and will be here today so that's nice and I havea nephew who also arrived yesterday afternoon to stay with us awhile so he can work in NYC. So no empty nest for long. All the activity has been terrible for my willpower, especially feeling this slump.

Got to run. Will touch base later. I'm looking to my other 50+ for inspiration. Thanks!
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    zaza54: I know where you are. Isn't it amazing how much changes from when you give birth to when they are out of the house!!!! The busyness that you thought you wouldn't miss - you do! At least I do. I have 5 kids and the youngest is here within 30 miles but all the others are states away, 3 of my grandchildren with them. Don't you feel bad about missing your class because family is the more important of the two. Maybe go for a long walk later today - or to the gym to workout other than your class.

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you post Doglovr, you inspire me to join this group too!
    Neither do I have trouble with water, but for the folks who do... make Lemonade! One pack of True Lime or True Lemon is zero calories, zero carbs... and you can sweeten with Splenda. Enjoy!

Now I AM going to get off this $#*(&$@ computer and go walk the DOGS!
    ;)
  • Benson
    Options
    Good morning all Freezing here today -31 Celcius I think that's about -19 or -20 F Looking for the good - the sky is bright blue!! I have heard that to make something your 'own' you have to do it for 30 days in a row. So my goal is to not have any junk food for 30 days and to do even a little bit of exercise for 30 days. If that holds true, then I will be on my way to healty habits for the rest of my life. I have been buying only healthy food options for awhile now but wouldn't you know it my mother-in-law sent home a bunch of snack food and a case of Pepsi! I will NOT have any chips,cookies, nuts etc!! She thinks my kids should not 'be punished' just because I am trying to make a change to get healthy!! Don't get me wrong, its not a rant its just a different challenge - I choose to take it up with my kids and not fight with their Nana. The ripple effect is happening and I see my kids reading nutrition labels (only when they don't know I'm watching) They are old enough to understand that healthy eating is important. I have been 'lightening' up their meals and everyone is still alive!!

Perservence and support (thanks everyone) are the keys to our success.

I am going to get on the scale tomorrow and am hoping for a 5 lb loss Fingers crossed please!

Have a great and healthy day!

Heather
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Heather: Awesome job on training your kids. Keep it up. They're healthier for it. You are in Ontario?? Brrrrrr. that's cold!
    Esther
  • Benson
    Options
    Hi grammymax Yes I am in Northwestern Ontario - on the north shore of Lake Superior It has been much colder - and likely will be again but the older I get the colder it feels!!

I have adopted one of Tamtastics great ideas and have been drinking at least three cups of water each morning before my coffee. - It works! by lunch each day I have downed half my required water This has been a problem for me in the past but I have got it figured out now. Thanks Tam!

Gotta go now (literally!!)

Take care
    Heather
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody - I'm new to this site and while looking around I found this 50+Women site. It will be nice to talk to someone who can relate to the dreaded "MENOPOT". Have any of you started having this problem? Ever since I started menopause, my middle seems to be spreading. Also, I've been getting an unusual craving for chocolate. I thought that would have gone away. But anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how to kick the chocolate habit? I can't seem to make it through the day without buying a candy bar and I'd really like to eliminate those extra calories.
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Chocolate is hard for me to walk away from also. I just try not to have any in the house. If I have to go out and buy one then It's easier for me to say no. But, I'm self employed and don't work where there are a lot of temptations. Is that your situation? I don't have any great advice however, I know this website has really been helpful for me and helps me to keep on track because I am accountable to others. If you list this as your goal and check in daily maybe that would help to have others remind you of your goal - all in love of course.:smooched:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Hello everybody - I'm new to this site and while looking around I found this 50+Women site. It will be nice to talk to someone who can relate to the dreaded "MENOPOT". Have any of you started having this problem? Ever since I started menopause, my middle seems to be spreading. Also, I've been getting an unusual craving for chocolate. I thought that would have gone away. But anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how to kick the chocolate habit? I can't seem to make it through the day without buying a candy bar and I'd really like to eliminate those extra calories.

There are 100 calorie pack snacks that have chocolate like the different kind of cookies. I think there are also 100 calorie pudding snacks. You might try those instead of candy bars. Or if you can ration, you might try the bite size dark chocolate candy bars. I've read that dark chocolate is good for you, in moderation of course. Good luck.

Betty
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm up for trying anything at this point.
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    Good afternoon Ladies!!!!!!! Today was a good day til I went to lunch at the Chinese restaurant:noway:
    I really don't think I did too badly...just ate more than usual and am quite full....walked for an hour so I did have extra exercise calories...Oh well:ohwell:

I did have another idea for those struggling with their water intake....squeezing a lemon quarter into it makes it go down a little easier....(actually in the summer, it makes it more refreshing, too)....

and another idea for chocoholics...(it's worked for me in the past)....sugar free jello pudding snacks....only 60 calories....I also keep a bag of extra dark chocolate chips on hand....measure a tablespoon into a bowl with a few almonds and some fat free cool whip...yummy!!!!!!! or...just thought of another one.....flavored decaf tea....add some no calorie sweetener and it'll taste just like a chocolate treat....anyway, just some ideas I've used in the past....

Hope everyone is having a great day!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
    vee
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocoholic and I still in indulge, but in moderation. My afternoon reward is an 1/8th of a cup of M & M's only 105 calories - gets me through the day.
  • zaza54
    Options
    I, too, have to have chocolate. I like your ideas. I usually have Hershey kisses, but the dark chocolate chips and m&ms sound like good alternatives for a change of pace. I bet they have less calories too since they're smaller.
  • zaza54
    Options
    Good morning-
    Today is my Boniva day so I'm sitting here drinking LOTS of water. I admit I usually never drink much water - maybe a glass a day. So, this is an effort. I'm just not a big water drinker; I have to keep reminding myself to drink more. I do dilute juice with water so that's something.

In additon to drinking more, I really want to start pushing myself with exercise, but am a little nervous about that since I often end up with joint pain that sends me to the dr and physical therapy. I can handle the soreness that comes from using unused muscles, but this is different. If I'm not careful, my back goes out or my hip, shoulder , foot can get so sore that it wakes me up. Acutally, it's not really the joints, which is good, but the tendons and other connective-type tissue I guess.

I'd like to know more about what the rest of you are doing and how you do it. I don't use a heart monitor, but it takes me a long time to burn 200 calories walking on the treadmill (I do enter my age and weight) and I doubt I ever burn more than 400 calories in a single day. I want to burn more to lose more weight, tone up this body and try to strengthen my bones and joints. My mom has RA so that is a concern. While I don't have it, osteoarthritis is already starting to deform some finger joints. :mad: I'm too young for this!! So, please fill me in on your secrets for keeping fit and looking/feeling younger. Thanks.
    Zaza