50+ Women

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    Dear Zaza,

2 ideas, (not that I've succeeded... yet!)

#1-Have you rphysical therapist give you exercises for the joint that hurt. My knee exercises make it possible for me to...
    #2-Go Dancing. I like line dancing and there are lessons at Community Education, Parks and Rec and in the local saloons ;) but you might prefer tap or belly dancing, or anything.

The people are nice, the music is motivating and its WAY more fun than a dreadmill...
    27226.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Good morning-
    Today is my Boniva day so I'm sitting here drinking LOTS of water. I admit I usually never drink much water - maybe a glass a day. So, this is an effort. I'm just not a big water drinker; I have to keep reminding myself to drink more. I do dilute juice with water so that's something.

In additon to drinking more, I really want to start pushing myself with exercise, but am a little nervous about that since I often end up with joint pain that sends me to the dr and physical therapy. I can handle the soreness that comes from using unused muscles, but this is different. If I'm not careful, my back goes out or my hip, shoulder , foot can get so sore that it wakes me up. Acutally, it's not really the joints, which is good, but the tendons and other connective-type tissue I guess.

I'd like to know more about what the rest of you are doing and how you do it. I don't use a heart monitor, but it takes me a long time to burn 200 calories walking on the treadmill (I do enter my age and weight) and I doubt I ever burn more than 400 calories in a single day. I want to burn more to lose more weight, tone up this body and try to strengthen my bones and joints. My mom has RA so that is a concern. While I don't have it, osteoarthritis is already starting to deform some finger joints. :mad: I'm too young for this!! So, please fill me in on your secrets for keeping fit and looking/feeling younger. Thanks.
    Zaza

Good Morning all.

Zaza On my mothers side, she and two of her sisters have terrible bouts with arthritis and circulation problems. They are in there 80's and 90's but started having problems in their early 50's. But, they are all very active and I'm sure that had a lot to do with there longevity. I also struggle with pain in my joints and my one finger is starting to deform and are extremely painful. Sometimes I have to use my other fingers to push it down because it freezes so quickly. :grumble: :grumble: I also have shin splints and boy not exercising correctly put me in a cast for 3 months. So I hear ya.

My doctors all just say basically. "yes you have arthritis live with it"

I have joined a fitness center this past November. I start out with the bike for 20 mins. then move to the elliptical. I find it is less stressful on my legs. Yesterday I burned 726 calories. I worked out for about 1 hour and 1/2. I can't do that everyday but I sure enjoyed it.

Today I am going to just take it easy. Maybe just do the stationary bike. Not sure. My body will let me know.

I just can't do the treadmill. It really causes me pain in my shins if I'm on it more then 45 min.

This is all new to me at this age. I use to be physically fit in my younger days. But in my 40's I just had to many life stresses to care about me. NOW IT IS BACK TO ME AGAIN.

Hope you all can understand this rant. I had to express it. (fingers get stuck typing sometimes) :laugh: :laugh: But, I will fight that also.

44118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I so enjoy this site. I am never going to give up.

Kathy
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Kathy - the 40's, yes that's when my body started rebelling. Now at 53 I'm trying to fight back, basically just to stay healthy and have energy for my family. Okay for my grandkids :smooched: Losing the 20# I want to lose will be an extra benefit but I really want to get into the clothes that I have packed away for the 'someday' when I can wear them again. Focus, Focus, Focus.....(that's my daily phrase to myself)

Have a great day everyone.
    Esther
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I am going to get off my butt and go clean and then do the elliptical for a little while. My dh is going to make a great dinner and a friend may be coming over with a sinful dessert. Enjoy your Saturday everyone.
    Zaza
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Just catching up all the entries. I didn't get a chance to get online yesterday and I missed everyone:flowerforyou:

I did my 60 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes of weight training and a 40 minutes trek on my shoeshoes in the bitter cold. I just :heart: those snowshoes. This is the first year trying this sport and I love it.

I too can relate to the aches and pains. I have some medical conditions that have prevented me from doing this much exercise for a very long time. I can tell you that dropping the pounds that I have so far has made a real difference. For one thing I have noticed that my knees are not clicking so loudly when I go up and down the stairs. I also am a firm believer in massage therapy. I would not be able to walk some days if I didn't go for massages when I can. Another thing the massage therapist taught me was to soak in a warm bath with two cups of EPSOM salts. This sure has been so helpful to me. I also do stretching exercises to help me move.

Remember we are not alone with our issues. We have more things in common than not. I am thankful to have this forum to be able to share.

Blessings and best wishes to all:flowerforyou:
  • plantlady99
    Options
    I to love this thread. Nice to have ladies that can relate to the concerns we have. I did get to the gym again today. I usually do not go on week-ends but that is a new segment of my life. I Burned 800 calories between the stationary bike and elliptical. I feel great. Now I can enjoy my meal without feeling to guilty.

Glad to see new people coming in daily.

I must get my water in. That I need to work on today.

Have a great night if I don't chime in again.

Kathy
  • Grammymax
    Options
    WOW - 800 calories burned at the gym! You go girl.

I made some cookies and then went for a long quick walk. The cookies are for a meeting I have a church tomorrow but I'm taking a salad too:smile: My hubby will be sure to take care of most of the cookies for me:wink:

Hope everyone has a great evening.
    Esther
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    "Have to have chocolate" boy that's me!

Able to do days without butter, bread, mayonnaise.potatoes. even beer, :drinker: , but a day without chocolate?
    Why bother breathing.. :huh:

Gal friends coming over Thursday for a game night, gonna look for the low carb dark chocolate peanut butter cups recipe to make for 'em.

Does anyone have any really yummy healthy appetizer faves?
    Otherwise its devilled eggs, fat free chili, veggies and dips, and pb cups for dessert.
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Sounds yummy and fun. Have any extra room?:laugh: Healthy appetizers are hard to find but I do like the laughing cow cheese wedges spread in celery. It's low fat but don't know about carbs. Have a fun night.
    Esther
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Good Morning all!

My hubby is shoveling the driveway for both of us to go to the gym. He really does not need to lose but just likes to maintain. He is 61 and in good shape.

I think I am motivating HIM! THIS IS A FIRST. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ya, well all have a great day.

44118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Kathy
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Kathy, sounds like your hubby will have had his workout by the time he's done shoveling.:laugh:

We're off to do some volunteer work and then hopefully get to the gym before it's time to pick up a child at school. we'll see!

I weighed in and lost a little more. Not as much as I'd like but at least I'm not gaining. :smile:

Hope everyone has a great day.
    Esther
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Good morning all I too just love this thread. I feel so much the same as alot of you. I sure wish I could burn the calories you are Kathy. I have to push to get to 300 burned but push I will!! My goal is to burn 200 calories every day and an additional 300 calories 3/4 days of the week with hopes of burning 200-2500 per week. I had a great weigh in on Saturday down 8.5 lbs. Now this usually means a gain in the coming week but I am going to do my best to not let that happen. Even if I maintain I'll be grateful. If I can keep going, hopefully I will lose 3.5. i am going to leave my weigh in on Sautrday morning.
    I don't want to harp but if you just drink a couple of glasses of water when you are waiting for your coffee, you will have a better time getting the rest in throughout the day. When I need chocolate fix I have a few dark chocolate chips. I think the brand is Giradelli? 70 % cocoa - Soooo good with coffee or even by themselves. 5 or six chips is a perfect fix for me and for only 30-40 calories. I have also discovered those dessert type yogurt cups - delish and only 30 cals.

He girls do you think I'm in trouble if I ate my lunch at 10 a.m. Looks like its going to be a long day!!
    I may have to 'trade-in' my nice homemade chicken soup for a salad for dinner! Either that or work it baby!!
    Here are my issues with aging -1) Hair where there shouldnt be any and hair leaving where it should be! 2) knobby things on my knuckles 3) aches and pains in my everything!!

Take good care.

Heather
    27016.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Heather. That's a great weight loss. And you're right if you just maintain that would be a positive as well as if you lose any more. Are you going to WW? Is that the Saturday morning meetings?

I have been trying your idea of drinking water before the coffee is done but my hubby likes to set the timer so the coffee is usually done when I get up but, I can still have a cup or two of water first.

Have a great day,
    Esther
  • Donna2
    Donna2 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Just dropped in to say good morning and hope you all have a wonderful day. :smile:
  • Benson
    Options
    Hey grammymax Not a formal weigh in just moving my home weigh in from monday to saturday I weighed in on Mon last week but then again on Saturday because I wanted to see my net loss for one year on MFP I had been down to a 30 loss mid summer - but had to settle for a 27 lb. loss for the first year - Hey I'll take it!! I am aware that it could have been way higher but I am still proud of a loss instead of another gain.

Its warmer here today but the forecast has us heading back to the deep freeze. I am kind of scheduled to the hilt with kids activities today after work but I am going to go for a one hour walk outside while its warmer out. I will also do the one mile Leslie Sansone DVD. She uses weighted balls for about half the work out but I can't manage that yet. Everyday I try to go with the balls for an minute longer. When I can easily do the one mile there is a two mile and a three mile workout on the same DVD.

Heather
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I just learned something recently from my fitness instructor regarding shoveling snow and heart attacks. One reason heart attacks occur is that blood pressure increases when you make a fist, which is what happens when you grasp and hold tightly onto a shovel handle. I assume it's only a problem for people with untreated high blood pressure, but maybe wouldn't hurt for everyone to take frequent breaks when shoveling.
    Zaza
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Heather - I use the Walk Away the Pounds tapes too on the days I can't get to the gym or for a good long fresh air walk - which is what I prefer! Keep on keepin' on! :wink:
    Esther
  • Benson
    Options
    Where is everyone??

Grammymax - since you are familiar with the walk away the pounds workout, can you tell me what you would log it as? I do the ones with the weighted balls and really it is way harder for me than just walking outside. You are working your upper body and arms at the same time as the marching, leg lifts etc. I have been using low impact aerobics to chart the exercise and just eating some of those calories back. Yesterday when I turned on the DVD player the workout was at the beginning of the 2 mile so I tried it and to my surprise I could manage almost the whole thing. So I think I will try to do the one mile in the a.m. and the two mile in the evening. All in all a good day for me. I hope everyone is staying on track. I'm on day 15 of my 30 day goal to do something each day to burn calories.
    My daily goals:
    Drink water
    exercise for minimum 30 minutes
    stick to planned meals - its 11:15 here and I haven't eaten my lunch - so better than yesterday!
    Have patience with my beautiful teenagers

Stay warm!!

Heather
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Two more days until my weigh in. Fingers crossed I can make my goal of one more pound lost. I'm doing pretty good at drinking 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day. I'll check back in on Thursday hopefully with good news. :smile:

Betty
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Heather - I sent you an email on the walking info.

Esther