Dropping pounds with inspiring pals *CLOSED GROUP*

Options

Replies

• Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Recipe Wednesday!

I'm trying to get more fish into my diet - and I'm warming up to it. Salmon is one of my favorites and here's one of my favorite ways to prepare it:

Salmon with dill "pesto"

1 lb of salmon filets
    1 bunch of fresh dill
    1 clove of garlic
    1 Tbsp lemon zest (grating works well - careful to get only the yellow part of the skin - the white pith underneath is bitter)
    1/2 Tbsp olive oil
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Pat the salmon dry and place it on a baking sheet (on foil for easy cleanup).

Whizz remaining ingredients in a food processor/blender, or bash in a mortar and pestle (stress-relieving), or pulverize in a mini chopper, or just spend a little quality time with a good knife mincing everything.

Spread dill mixture over the salmon and bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes - maybe 20 minutes for filets over 1" thick. Try not to overcook.

Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the filet(s) after cooking.

** You can add other herbs too - parsley and chives are lovely with dill.

Enjoy!
    Nikkie
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Recipe Wednesday!

I'm trying to get more fish into my diet - and I'm warming up to it. Salmon is one of my favorites and here's one of my favorite ways to prepare it:

Salmon with dill "pesto"

1 lb of salmon filets
    1 bunch of fresh dill
    1 clove of garlic
    1 Tbsp lemon zest (grating works well - careful to get only the yellow part of the skin - the white pith underneath is bitter)
    1/2 Tbsp olive oil
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Pat the salmon dry and place it on a baking sheet (on foil for easy cleanup).

Whizz remaining ingredients in a food processor/blender, or bash in a mortar and pestle (stress-relieving), or pulverize in a mini chopper, or just spend a little quality time with a good knife mincing everything.

Spread dill mixture over the salmon and bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes - maybe 20 minutes for filets over 1" thick. Try not to overcook.

Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the filet(s) after cooking.

** You can add other herbs too - parsley and chives are lovely with dill.

Enjoy!
    Nikkie
    This sounds awesome!!! Ive never been a huge fan of fish, but I know its good for me...Im going to try and eat more of it too! Thanks for this! I'll need all the help I can get trying to cook fish..lol
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Speaking of fish..... can you defrost fish and then cook it?

I'm thinking the reason I have a problem when baking fish is because I buy frozen (not living near an ocean and all lol)., and it always gets watery and doesn't look or taste as good as the recipe sounds....but it just seems like you shouldn't defrost the fish, like it would go bad or something....

Fish is not my strong point.....
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    PS I'll try to catch up later. Right now I have to motivate myself to finish cleaning my house....
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options

I'm thinking the reason I have a problem when baking fish is because I buy frozen (not living near an ocean and all lol)., and it always gets watery and doesn't look or taste as good as the recipe sounds....but it just seems like you shouldn't defrost the fish, like it would go bad or something....

You actually are supposed to defrost the fish first. I buy the packaged frozen kind too and the package says to defrost the fillets by taking them out of their plastic wrap, putting them into a ziploc bag, and sitting them in water for a while. When they are defrosted, take the fish out and place them between two paper towels (or whatever you have to use) and press all the water out of them. That should make it better for you and much less watery. :-)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options

You actually are supposed to defrost the fish first. I buy the packaged frozen kind too and the package says to defrost the fillets by taking them out of their plastic wrap, putting them into a ziploc bag, and sitting them in water for a while. When they are defrosted, take the fish out and place them between two paper towels (or whatever you have to use) and press all the water out of them. That should make it better for you and much less watery. :-)

YAY! I only have one way I cook fish, and though it was good, and always turned out...it gets kind of tiring after a while...but after way to many baking incidents (which has scared me off some fish all together...like flounder...it looked like mashed potatoes! :noway: :sick: ) ... I just stopped trying to cook fish any other way.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options

YAY! I only have one way I cook fish, and though it was good, and always turned out...it gets kind of tiring after a while...but after way to many baking incidents (which has scared me off some fish all together...like flounder...it looked like mashed potatoes! :noway: :sick: ) ... I just stopped trying to cook fish any other way.

:sick: Ewh!!! That would scare me away from fish too!! Yeah, just press the fish between the towel and get as much water out as you can. :happy:
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am looking to improve and expand my snack time foods. I am interested in any suggestions for high protein, low carb, low fat, low sodium snacks?

I need more protein in my diet but that usually brings with it fat or sodium. Any help you can send my way would be awesome! I stay really busy at work so it has to be portable. I do have a fridge but I need to be able to have it already prepped. Been drawn to bad foods lately.

On another note...how often do you change your goals so that your calorie intake goes down as you lose? I have been changing on a weekly basis so that the increment is small but I am torn this week....I have been really struggling at my current 1710 and would like to master that level but if I wait to long the jump will be bigger than I can handle...thoughts?
  • ADTeachTX
    Options

:sick: Ewh!!! That would scare me away from fish too!! Yeah, just press the fish between the towel and get as much water out as you can. :happy:

I agree about defrost in water and then press between papertowels. Also my favorite fish is tilapia. I love the flavor and the flakiness of it.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hia :) sorry I have been MIA too, was having a tough time at home, but think I am getting back to normal now :) I am in for this challenge I will find 5 min tonight to do it and will post :) Planning and sticking to it is key :)
  • ADTeachTX
    Options
    Yay - out of the 270's. Here I come 250's!

Time for me to go closet shopping again. I must look through old work pants to find one's that fit. I also get to go real shopping now! I earned a dress.

I wonder though...does anyone else wonder if eat slightly more than MFP recommends is a good thing? I have been having a tough time this week staying under my calories so I yoyo'd a lot. I lost a huge amount of weight this week (3.2 lbs) and I wonder if the up down/ over under had something to do with it.

What do you guys think?
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    lost another 2lb :) - 213 now - 8lb to my 100lb off
  • pattynava
    pattynava Posts: 331
    Options

That is FANTASTIC.....every time I think I CAN'T do this.....You motivate me!
    Friday Fitness: I walk 1 mile everynight for the last 3 on the treadmill...I'm pretty excited to weigh in this Sunday, might have to sneak in an early one...Can tell in my waist band of my jeans that I have at least 2 inches to spare...*Doing the Happy Dance, Happy Dance, Happy Dance*
    Be Blessed & Good Luck:heart:
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness - C25k week 2 starts today for me! 1 minute and 30 second jogs - I think I can... :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Yay - out of the 270's. Here I come 250's!

Time for me to go closet shopping again. I must look through old work pants to find one's that fit. I also get to go real shopping now! I earned a dress.

I wonder though...does anyone else wonder if eat slightly more than MFP recommends is a good thing? I have been having a tough time this week staying under my calories so I yoyo'd a lot. I lost a huge amount of weight this week (3.2 lbs) and I wonder if the up down/ over under had something to do with it.

What do you guys think?

I actually think their is a dieting technique out there called "zig-zagging" or something (I saw a lot of posts about it on MFP a while back), that if you ate more one day, and then less etc that it helped the weight loss. I haven't tried it, but I do know its out there. Maybe try looking for some of the threads on MFP to read about it?

My diary is actually set for me to eat more than what MFP would have recommended. They have me at 1240 (actually it might be a strait 1200 now because I'm down 10lbs since then), but I manually raised mine back up to 1440. And am losing better than I did at 1240. So I think eating more than MFP recommends can sometimes be a good thing.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Friday Fitness - C25k week 2 starts today for me! 1 minute and 30 second jogs - I think I can... :)

Your going to LOVE C25k. I just know it. :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options

Woo Hoo! That is awesome!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    I just realized the 5K I signed up for is NEXT WEEKEND! How time flys, and now I'm all nervous. What if I can't do it? What if I die in the mud? lol This next week is going to similar to ripping off a band-aid slowly, now I just want it to be next Saturday already.

And they have the course info up, dun dun dun - http://www.ruggedmaniac.com/events-details/items/rugged-maniac-phoenix.html
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What date is the WEEK 7 weigh in for? I had noticed some people already weighed in on the spreadsheet but I thought that wasn't till this Sunday? Just double checking!
  • ADTeachTX
    Options
    What date is the WEEK 7 weigh in for? I had noticed some people already weighed in on the spreadsheet but I thought that wasn't till this Sunday? Just double checking!

I think that some of us just weigh on our regular day. I only weigh once a week on Wednesday (this week was Thursday because I forgot on Wednesday) I just post it the day that I weigh for the week that I am going to count it for. I prefer to stick to a solid weigh-in day so that I don't stress myself with the daily fluctuations. I can't look at the scale everyday or I get really discouraged and then all the negative feelings make me eat more or I constantly feel like a failure.

So since week 7 is for this week on Sunday I have already posted mine because I won't weigh in again until next Wednesday