Low carber daily forum

Options

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    So glad I've found this thread. I did atkins about 12 years ago after being diagnosed with PCOS and having fertility treatment. I lost about 30lbs back then and had a little girl by IVF. She's ten now. Since then my weight has crept up and down depending how strict I've been with diet and exercise. Been doing MFP for the last 2-3 months and after an initial 7lbs lost, I just got totally stuck counting cals but not particularly watching the carbs. My body just doesn't cope with carbs full stop and I get so cross when people start criticising low-carb diets. Anyway this thread has inspired me to do what I knew all along I needed to do and start cutting the carbs - I have a carton of stilton and brocolli soup inthe work fridge for lunch, which is pretty low-carb and from this point on I am low-carbing - I've decided, I've done it before and I can do it again. Could be tricky this weekend though as my daughter is playing in a sports tournament so we're staying away from home and the food options will be pretty limited at the venue (I know - we've been before) but hey there are supermarkets - I can go out foraging for low carb stuff to keep me going. In fact the way the weather has just gone in the UK I can use the car as a fridge for the weekend!

Welcome! I'm also in the UK- and it's definitely getting chilly. Wearing my 'big coat' :o)
  • DeeBear
    DeeBear Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Can I still join? Sure hope so. This sounds like a Great group.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sorry...I've been lurking and not posting. Metal_Beau, your susage and cabbage recipe - what would you suggest as an alternative to booze in there? I never have any in the house, and wouldn't want to buy wine and have the rest of the bottle go to waste (I'm not big on wine so wouldn't drink it!).

I'm loving reading all your recipes!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Sorry...I've been lurking and not posting. Metal_Beau, your susage and cabbage recipe - what would you suggest as an alternative to booze in there? I never have any in the house, and wouldn't want to buy wine and have the rest of the bottle go to waste (I'm not big on wine so wouldn't drink it!).

I'm loving reading all your recipes!

You can buy the mini bottles (18.5 cl) which are just the right size for using when cooking- so you wont waste any, and they are only about £2.00 each. Tesco's does a 'light choices' mini bottle- much lower in cals and alcohol content.

The recipe is better with the port or wine in there, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if you omitted it. So long as you are adding the 'berry' component (cran juice/ sauce) it should be nice.
  • glypta
    Options
    ta muchly!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hello darling! Sorry I"ve been missing, but my work schedule is all hosed up this week (and next too). No time to post in the forums, but I get my laptop back from the geek squad today so I should have more access!

I'm having my leftover chicken curry that I froze (so freaking good!!!) And tomorrow I'm making a pumpkin turkey chili recipe that I found on all recipes and looks so amazing!! I'll post results after I make it!

Have a great low carb day all!!
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Glad I found you all!
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say hello to all and to report that.....FINALLY....I am now losing weight and it's thanks to Low Carb!!!

I quit smoking back in March, went to Italy on a 3 week holiday and by summer I was up in weight. I was faithful to the low cal diet on here for 6 weeks in July/August and maybe lost 1 lb or so. Not enough, then it hit me that everytime that I have been successful in loosing my 10-20 lbs, it has been because I cut out potatoes and bread. LIGHTBULB..........CARBs!!! I quickly started re-reading the ATkins book I had bought many years ago and realized that was my method. I have been faithful to my low carb since Saturday and I am down 3.2 lbs. I am loving it, I am very seldom hungry and searching for carbs like I used to!

Love the recipes, keep them coming.

Donna
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Going to make a beef & Guinness stew in my slow cooker this weekend.. I cant wait!! The guinness (stout) has about 11g carbs in the bottle but considering the stew will be about 6 potions thats no biggy.

Not sure about exact quantities or carb count (about 7g per portion) but here are the ingredients:

Stewing Beef (or braising steak/ chuck steak/ beef skirt)
    1 large onion
    1 bottle guinness (or dark stout beer)
    2 bay leaves
    salt & pepper
    chopped carrots (omit these to make the carb count lower)
    Beef stock/ bouillion

cook in the slow cooker on low for about 6 hours until the beef is really tender.

I'm serving mine with brussels sprouts and cauliflower 'fauxtatoes'.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Been waiting for this. Where do I sign? :)

I am primarily using Atkins Induction Phase One currently -- staying under 1600 calories per doctor's orders, but most days, I'm around 1200 because -- here's the best part of lo carb -- I am almost NEVER hungry! With the holidays fast approaching, I've been working on getting together a dessert recipe arsenal although I haven't craved sugar for a while, which is fantastic, and I'm not even SCARED for Halloween to come. Bring it! I'm moving on. :)
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Dinner tonight-

Spicy satay style chicken with courgette (Zuchinni) noodles

Chicken breasts, chopped and stir fried in a sauce made of:

Crunchy natural Peanut butter
    chopped fresh chilli (I like it hot- so the more the better for me!)
    fresh ginger
    dash of soy sauce
    dash of sesame oil
    pinch of ground turmeric
    a little coconut milk (the lowest carb one you can find)- maybe about 1/2 cup.
    garlic

Then shave a zuchinni with a veg peeler into strands and blanch them lightly in boiling water for only about 1 minute.

serve garnished with coriander (cilantro)

Yummo!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Dinner tonight-

Spicy satay style chicken with courgette (Zuchinni) noodles

Chicken breasts, chopped and stir fried in a sauce made of:

Crunchy natural Peanut butter
    chopped fresh chilli (I like it hot- so the more the better for me!)
    fresh ginger
    dash of soy sauce
    dash of sesame oil
    pinch of ground turmeric
    a little coconut milk (the lowest carb one you can find)- maybe about 1/2 cup.
    garlic

Then shave a zuchinni with a veg peeler into strands and blanch them lightly in boiling water for only about 1 minute.

serve garnished with coriander (cilantro)

Yummo!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Courgette noodles!!!! I also will use the summer variety as well... I bought the "Titan" peeler set, one of which does the julienning I need to make them into noodles....

Ill also use it for daikon/carrot/cucumber to make a nice crunchy asian salad... Im going to try to use this tool on butternut squash when I get the chance.. wanna see how well it juliennes
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hello

Currently on the 17 Day Diet and generally a low carb person. Would love to join if ok!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Just found this recipe for Morroccan lamb meatball baked with eggs and it looks yummy!!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/749722/moroccan-meatballs-with-eggs

I recon that if you take away the breadcrumbs from the meatballs, and take the chickpeas out of the recipe that the carbs will be <10g per portion :o)

I'm going to add some black olives and spinach to mine.

I've been subbing some ground flax seed/meal in meatball recipes and it works great and adds no carbs and lots of fiber.
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am so into this low carb lifestyle, I love it...no hunger like the low cal and no huge cravings like low cal. I have been trying to stay below 30 carbs and succeeding quite easily. Tomorrow will be 1 week and am anxious to see how many pounds lost in my first week. Feeling good!!

Made the cauliflower rice last night and wow, amazing stuff, even hubby didn't know what it was but loved it and ate some more tonight..(not that he needs to lose anything).
  • glypta
    Options
    What're your thoughts...sorry, this is a question, not a recipe! I went over on calories yesterday (800 - not freaking out as I'm trying to figure out how to maintain anyway, but still, I have a calorific weekend ahead). Anyway, I was over on cals but my macros worked out at 8 net carbs for the day (thanks to too much munching on roasted and dried soya beans being SO much higher in fibre than carbs).

Generally speaking, would this impact weight? Or does the low-carb counter some/all(hopefully :tongue: ) all of the extra calories? I now it's still calories in/out, I actually just don't understant the low carb thing, other than it works!

Thanks lovely low carbers!
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    BUMP:happy:
  • fronc
    fronc Posts: 41
    Options
    Bump! I'll post recipes soon