Low carber daily forum

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Ive got a preliminary page redone - but as a "Group" - and Im going to be very blunt, this one SUCKS. The other page I created was much better, it was going to help keep recipes and photos in a much more organized fashion....

This "Group" setting does give privacy, but its not going to be anything different than what we are doing right now here.... you will have to dig and dig and dig for recipes posted...

There is nothing personal about posting a recipe or a photo of that recipe and there is 0 risk whatsoever..... as originally stated.
    Frankly, I'm not really understanding anyone's concerns about privacy in a FB group. Your FB privacy settings are your own. Make them as tight or as loose as you wish. I actually play a few FB games so I have different lists of "friends" set up. My close, personal friends and family can see everything I post. People I only play games with can only see a very few things that are game related. If someone is worried about these things, look into creating friend lists like this.

All you are doing with a FB group or community is posting and reading, similar to what you do here; it's just in a different format. There's nothing about it that is affecting your privacy if you have your FB privacy settings set correctly.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Ive got a preliminary page redone - but as a "Group" - and Im going to be very blunt, this one SUCKS. The other page I created was much better, it was going to help keep recipes and photos in a much more organized fashion....

This "Group" setting does give privacy, but its not going to be anything different than what we are doing right now here.... you will have to dig and dig and dig for recipes posted...

There is nothing personal about posting a recipe or a photo of that recipe and there is 0 risk whatsoever..... as originally stated.
    Frankly, I'm not really understanding anyone's concerns about privacy in a FB group. Your FB privacy settings are your own. Make them as tight or as loose as you wish. I actually play a few FB games so I have different lists of "friends" set up. My close, personal friends and family can see everything I post. People I only play games with can only see a very few things that are game related. If someone is worried about these things, look into creating friend lists like this.

All you are doing with a FB group or community is posting and reading, similar to what you do here; it's just in a different format. There's nothing about it that is affecting your privacy if you have your FB privacy settings set correctly.

All it is, is just an extension page to share our recipes, photos if we want to - each person can set up a photo album which helps keep things organized and so much easier to find that one recipe with one-click, and not several clicks of pages here...
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Regavar
    Options
    I am so new to this I don't even know how to join a group, but I figure if I reply I will have the posts on my home page..! New to this carb thing too so I can't contribute yet but I am working on it Thank-you for this post. The recipes look great !!!
  • cramernh
    Options
    Planning on posting a recipe I did tonight - a bulk cooking night for me.. Ginger-Garlic steak strips, meatballs for future meals, and Meatloaf.... I was HOPING to freeze half the loaf but my hoggish husband had to eat HALF of the damn thing tonight for dinner! UGH!
  • KeepItOff4Life
    Options
    bump
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hey, apologies for not being too active on the forum these past couple of days- I have been at my parents house celebrating my brother's birthday.

I have been food shopping and have the ingredients to make the following meals this week:

Pork chops with mustard & cheese crust

Spanish chicken & chorizo stew

Greek moussaka

Bratwurst & braised red cabbage

I'll post the full recipes for these on here as and when I make them- but looks like I'll eat some yummy low carb meals this week :o)
  • cramernh
    Options
    Hey, apologies for not being too active on the forum these past couple of days- I have been at my parents house celebrating my brother's birthday.

I have been food shopping and have the ingredients to make the following meals this week:

Greek moussaka

I'll post the full recipes for these on here as and when I make them- but looks like I'll eat some yummy low carb meals this week :o)

Greek Moussaka - what are you using to make this low-carb?
  • Laura_beau
    Options

Greek moussaka

Greek Moussaka - what are you using to make this low-carb?

Im basing it on this recipe: http://www.low-carb-recipes.co.uk/atkins/Lamb-Moussaka--Shortcut---Atkins.html

which is 10g net carbs per portion. I am tweaking it slightly though:

Replacing the low carb tomato sauce with 1/2 a can of chopped tomatoes, mixed with water and 1 tbsp tomato puree (concentrate) mixed in. ( i cannot get hold of low carb tomato sauce around here- unless i buy it online)

I'm adding 2 eggs to the cheese topping- I'm going to heat the cream cheese, nutmeg, heavy cream until it thickens- then let it cool. I'll then stir through the eggs into the cooled cheese sauce and add crumbled feta cheese and black pepper. Authentic Greek Mousakka has an almost souflee type crust on the top- and the usual way to acheive this is making the topping out of greek yoghurt & eggs.

I'm also going to add a little grated parmesan to the top- to make it extra cheesy and crispy.
  • cramernh
    Options

Greek moussaka

Im basing it on this recipe: http://www.low-carb-recipes.co.uk/atkins/Lamb-Moussaka--Shortcut---Atkins.html

Replacing the low carb tomato sauce with 1/2 a can of chopped tomatoes, mixed with water and 1 tbsp tomato puree (concentrate) mixed in. ( i cannot get hold of low carb tomato sauce around here- unless i buy it online)

I'm adding 2 eggs to the cheese topping- I'm going to heat the cream cheese, nutmeg, heavy cream until it thickens- then let it cool. I'll then stir through the eggs into the cooled cheese sauce and add crumbled feta cheese and black pepper. Authentic Greek Mousakka has an almost souflee type crust on the top- and the usual way to acheive this is making the topping out of greek yoghurt & eggs.

I'm also going to add a little grated parmesan to the top- to make it extra cheesy and crispy.

That sounds AWESOME!
  • kdwatkinspc
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: OMG This is great! Because of gastric bypass this sight would be best for me. Would you you please add me as a friend. The soup is one I will do cannot wait to try. Like you said not everyones body able to do the same diet. So excited. I love my coffee any suggestion on creamers I could use?:drinker:
  • kdwatkinspc
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: OMG This is great! Because of gastric bypass this sight would be best for me. Would you you please add me as a friend. The soup is one I will do cannot wait to try. Like you said not everyones body able to do the same diet. So excited. I love my coffee any suggestion on creamers I could use?:drinker:
  • Laura_beau
    Options

Greek moussaka

That sounds AWESOME!

It is one of my fave's- and well worth a try. A good tip is to make the minced (ground) lamb 'filling' in the crock pot/ slow cooker over several hours so the greek spices can infuse.

I'm gonna have a nice greek side salad (cucumber, feta, olives, herbs) with it too.
  • Laura_beau
    Options

I drink coffee too, I take mine black. Most low carbers take a little cream in their coffee if they like theirs white (Heavy cream).

Sugar free syrup is a good way to sweeten/ flavour coffee too and is available on Amazon.
  • kdwatkinspc
    Options
    Bratwaurts and red cabbage sounds good, something my husband would like. Looking forward to the recipe.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Okay, tonight is Bratwurst & Braised red cabbage evening (it is bubbling away in the slow cooker as we speak).

Like all sausages, Bratwurst can be higher in carbs than you think due to fillers (oats/breadcrumbs/sugars) so I would choose the lowest carb ones you can find- or just use your favourite low carb sausage. I have found some 0.1g net carb per Bratwurst- so I'm pleased :o)

Braised red cabbage- serves 8 as a side dish.

10g carbs per serving.

1/2 large head of red cabbage, shredded
    1 medium red onion, chopped
    1 large apple, peeled & cored then chopped
    250ml (8 oz) unsweetened cranberry juice*
    2 tsp granulated splenda
    1 cinnamon stick
    50 ml (2 oz) port or red wine
    Salt & pepper

Basically, you place all the above ingredients in a slow cooker/crockpot and cook on low for about 3 hours. You can also do this in a pot stovetop for about 1 hour on low.

* If you have some, you can use some low carb cranbery sauce mixed in water instead. This will reduce the carbs.

** If you have low carb apple sauce- use this in place of the apple- this will further reduce the carb count.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Where are my MFP low carbers at??
  • lynjeffrey
    Options
    I made an awesome chicken *curry* last night - my first attempt (so was a real experiment, considering its mostly spices I went to taste and not so much by measurements)
    my hubby loved it and so did I. Served with some cauliflower rice :)
    Made soo much we have for dinner again tonight :)

4 Chicken Breasts (Deboned/ Deskinned) - marinated in crushed garlic, olive oil, black pepper and a tiny drop of soy sauce, ground chili flakes and cayenne pepper
    fried in some olive oil in a wok, to this I added 1 cup small chopped/ diced mixed peppers (red/green/yellow)
    1 tin of diced tomatoes (no added sugar)

More black pepper
    1/2 Tbs of Madras curry spice
    A good squeeze of spicy Mrs HS Balls Chutney (sugar free/ lite - for some sweetness)
    and a splash of cream (approx 100ml)
    simmered for approx 10 min

then fried the cauliflower rice in a bit of butter and tada!!!

was super yummy!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I just found this thread. I have been following low carb since 2004. I am currently at pre-maintenance. I have 10 lbs to go! I have climbed the carb ladder as my plan teaches and have been able to eat whole grains and still loose. I actually can have as much as 150 gms (4/7 days) a week and still loose! I still avoid white rice as much as possible and white sugar too.
    Just curious out of all of you how many are almost at goal and where is your carb limit now? In Atkins we call it critical carbohydrate limit ,

Have a blessed day

Nichole
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    So glad I've found this thread. I did atkins about 12 years ago after being diagnosed with PCOS and having fertility treatment. I lost about 30lbs back then and had a little girl by IVF. She's ten now. Since then my weight has crept up and down depending how strict I've been with diet and exercise. Been doing MFP for the last 2-3 months and after an initial 7lbs lost, I just got totally stuck counting cals but not particularly watching the carbs. My body just doesn't cope with carbs full stop and I get so cross when people start criticising low-carb diets. Anyway this thread has inspired me to do what I knew all along I needed to do and start cutting the carbs - I have a carton of stilton and brocolli soup inthe work fridge for lunch, which is pretty low-carb and from this point on I am low-carbing - I've decided, I've done it before and I can do it again. Could be tricky this weekend though as my daughter is playing in a sports tournament so we're staying away from home and the food options will be pretty limited at the venue (I know - we've been before) but hey there are supermarkets - I can go out foraging for low carb stuff to keep me going. In fact the way the weather has just gone in the UK I can use the car as a fridge for the weekend!