bumpity bump!
  • ElisaRazz
    ElisaRazz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That does sound strict. Hope you find some help/ideas on this thread.
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If your on a budget homemade soups are a good alternative to sandwiches. Very quick and easy to make - if no microwave available at work only outlay would be a soup flask?
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm making a nice dinner for my BF tonight, here's what is on the menu:

Prawn cocktail- made with large cooked prawns (shrimp) in marie rose sauce (made with 1 tbsp mayo, 1/2 tsp tomato puree and a pinch of paprika and squeeze of lemon juice) on rocket (arugula) with spring onions & cucumber.

then tuna steak, topped with red chilli pesto & goats cheese served with garlicky spinach and asparagus spears.

With a glass of wine :o)
  • lisamerida
    lisamerida Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tristahenry
    Options
    I'm making a nice dinner for my BF tonight, here's what is on the menu:

Prawn cocktail- made with large cooked prawns (shrimp) in marie rose sauce (made with 1 tbsp mayo, 1/2 tsp tomato puree and a pinch of paprika and squeeze of lemon juice) on rocket (arugula) with spring onions & cucumber.

then tuna steak, topped with red chilli pesto & goats cheese served with garlicky spinach and asparagus spears.

With a glass of wine :o)

Can I eat at your house?? Pleeeaaasee?
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    cool, just found this thread for low carbers. I am posting so I can find it easily later and read the ideas. My doctors have me on a pretty strict regimen right now.

Low carb
    Low sodium
    No dairy
    No flour based products
    No fruit
    No root veggies
    extra lean meat only

feels a little like being a rabbit...except for the meat part...the only thing I can have for breakfast is whey protein shakes, made with only water, *gag* or egg white omlette which i am quickly growing tired of. And I am only on day 3. ick.

I am eating a low carb diet and strictly no gluten. By eating all natural clean foods my sodium is naturally extremely low.
    Fruit is only a half a cup of berries when I really need a sweet about once a week. (for now)
    FAT is what saves me!! I am never hungry.

Fat from olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, meat, eggs etc.

WHY only lean meat? Studies show that fat is not bad. Sugar and carbs are much worse!

Glad you found us. Friend me if you like, and I am happy to share more ideas. I am feeling better then I ever have and do not feel deprived this way of eating. But honestly, the fatty cuts of meat on occasion help with that. I am losing weight eating fat but I was not eating carbs/sugar.
  • tristahenry
    Options

Under 100 grams of carb is my basic goal. My husband sort of freaks out when I eat low carb so I eat very few during the daytime and then eat whatever for dinner. I still try to avoid heavy carb foods like rice and pasta and potatoes, or are the very least, eat very small portions.

Rice pasta and potatoes. Cut. Okay. May still have small potatoes for dinner at times.

I usually have porridge for breakfast and to save on costs, my bf and I are taking sandwiches to work for lunch. So already, carbs :( But I had a look on diary and they don't add up to TOO much. I just need to start being strict with myself really.

Remember that low carb is not no carb... there's carbs in everything including dairy and veggies. If you're doing breads or pastas, make sure its whole grain (not whole wheat) as it's lower in GI (sugars) and will keep you full longer. Your body processes it much differently than white. Also look for the words "unenriched" on your ingredients list. Enriched means they stripped the product of all it's nutrients and then added them back in. As for rice, go with brown rices, and whole grains like couscous, quinoa and barley. Instead of a white potato go for sweet potato or yam (again lower in GI). Go for open faced sandwichs on whole grain rather than 2 slices of bread. No need to cut entirely (unless doctor specified) just moderate and make better choices. You will feel it in your body when you overeat on the carbs.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Found an alternative for pizza!

Josephs puts out a lavash made with flax and oats - EXTREMELY low carb. Four large lavash wraps per package - 8 servings total.

I grabbed one whole lavash, made a fresh tomato sauce using tomatoes from my garden along with fresh herbs (basil, thyme, oregano)

Skim Milk mozzarella cheese and a variety of vegetables...

gonna do some math... but this smells SOOOOO good cooking right now!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've made the almond chicken parmesean recipe, but instead of the almond flour I use coconut flour. I also added unsweetned shredded coconut to the flour mixture. It makes more of a tropical coconut chicken flavor. It would be good for coconut shrimp too.
  • freeloaves
    Options

Remember that low carb is not no carb... there's carbs in everything including dairy and veggies. If you're doing breads or pastas, make sure its whole grain (not whole wheat) as it's lower in GI (sugars) and will keep you full longer. Your body processes it much differently than white. Also look for the words "unenriched" on your ingredients list. Enriched means they stripped the product of all it's nutrients and then added them back in. As for rice, go with brown rices, and whole grains like couscous, quinoa and barley. Instead of a white potato go for sweet potato or yam (again lower in GI). Go for open faced sandwichs on whole grain rather than 2 slices of bread. No need to cut entirely (unless doctor specified) just moderate and make better choices. You will feel it in your body when you overeat on the carbs.

Thanks for the great advice :) I must save this somewhere ...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    cool, just found this thread for low carbers. I am posting so I can find it easily later and read the ideas. My doctors have me on a pretty strict regimen right now.

Low carb
    Low sodium
    No dairy
    No flour based products
    No fruit
    No root veggies
    extra lean meat only

feels a little like being a rabbit...except for the meat part...the only thing I can have for breakfast is whey protein shakes, made with only water, *gag* or egg white omlette which i am quickly growing tired of. And I am only on day 3. ick.

I am eating a low carb diet and strictly no gluten. By eating all natural clean foods my sodium is naturally extremely low.
    Fruit is only a half a cup of berries when I really need a sweet about once a week. (for now)

WHY only lean meat? Studies show that fat is not bad. Sugar and carbs are much worse!

Glad you found us. Friend me if you like, and I am happy to share more ideas. I am feeling better then I ever have and do not feel deprived this way of eating. But honestly, the fatty cuts of meat on occasion help with that. I am losing weight eating fat but I was not eating carbs/sugar.

The rule of thumb with meats are................if you buy conventional grain fed meats from the store make sure it is lean because the toxins are stored in the fat of the animals, just like in humans. You will have to add fats to it like olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc.

If you get pastured, free range meats, eggs and poultry then it is safe to eat the fat and skin on the meat.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I made a pork picnic roast (bone in) last night in the crockpot and put a diced up apple, onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard and some raw honey in the bottom of the crock pot and let it cook on low over night..........

I can not wait to get home to eat it.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I made a pork picnic roast (bone in) last night in the crockpot and put a diced up apple, onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard and some raw honey in the bottom of the crock pot and let it cook on low over night..........

I can not wait to get home to eat it.

Droool.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I made the savoy cabbage, leek, bacon soup and wow. Yummy. Organic chicken broth to taste and perfect. Thank you!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

Low carb
    Low sodium
    No dairy
    No flour based products
    No fruit
    No root veggies
    extra lean meat only

lean meat, because the doctors say so, LOL it is to get protein. lean, and even extra lean still have fat. I am eating much more meat than usual, which is what they direct me to do. So maybe because if I am eating double or triple the meat I usually do, if I did that with regular cuts of meat, I would be talking in a whole lot more calories than I should be. take a peek at my diary, and you can see just how low-carb it is :-)
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've made the almond chicken parmesean recipe, but instead of the almond flour I use coconut flour. I also added unsweetned shredded coconut to the flour mixture. It makes more of a tropical coconut chicken flavor. It would be good for coconut shrimp too.

Oh now I want to try this!! Yum!
  • stephanie555
    Options
    Wow what a fantastic forum!!! Havent read all but so far there have been some great ideas for recipes. Im still very new to MFP and Im not really doing a low carb diet but have just started watching it more. I have started to cut out a lot of carbs from my meals and looking for more recipes to try. The boyfriend doesnt always want to eat my "healthy" food so Ive been looking for some tasty recipes that he wont know the difference and i can still stay on track :smile: Will definitely have to try the caulliflower soup and heroin wings. Thanks
  • stephanie555
    Options
    Im definitely in.... new to the forum, trying to read it all... really great stuff and would love an easier way to follow... oops was supposed to reply to the facebook page idea