1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp paprika
    3 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp Celtic sea salt
    2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

In a bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container. Makes 20 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
    Store Bought Taco Seasoning = 20 calories, 4 carbs, 0 fiber
    "Healthified" Taco Seasoning = 5 calories, 0.9 carbs, 0.4g fiber

Taco recipe:

6 Thin slices of jicama
    2 cups organic leaf lettuce
    6 oz grass fed ground beef
    1 Lime, cut into wedges
    Salsa
    Sour Cream

Slice jicama into very thin slices, using an electric slicer (click HERE to find) or mandolin slicer (click HERE to find).

Cook the beef in the spice mix from above.

Fold the jicama slices into taco shells; fill with lettuce, meat, sour cream and salsa. Squirt the lime juice into each jicama shell and enjoy!

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per 2 taco shells)
    Traditional Taco Shell = 130 calories, 19 carbs, 0 fiber
    Jicama Taco Shell = 12 calories, 1.5 carb, 1 g fiber

added source: http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Spice mix
    2 TBS chili powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp paprika
    3 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp Celtic sea salt
    2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

In a bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container. Makes 20 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
    Store Bought Taco Seasoning = 20 calories, 4 carbs, 0 fiber
    "Healthified" Taco Seasoning = 5 calories, 0.9 carbs, 0.4g fiber

Taco recipe:

6 Thin slices of jicama
    2 cups organic leaf lettuce
    6 oz grass fed ground beef
    1 Lime, cut into wedges
    Salsa
    Sour Cream

Slice jicama into very thin slices, using an electric slicer (click HERE to find) or mandolin slicer (click HERE to find).

Cook the beef in the spice mix from above.

Fold the jicama slices into taco shells; fill with lettuce, meat, sour cream and salsa. Squirt the lime juice into each jicama shell and enjoy!

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per 2 taco shells)
    Traditional Taco Shell = 130 calories, 19 carbs, 0 fiber
    Jicama Taco Shell = 12 calories, 1.5 carb, 1 g fiber

added source: http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/
    Great recipe, thanks! If jicama is hard to find or too expensive, I usually just use raw shredded cabbage in my tacos. Another way to get a low carb, low calorie crunch.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    This sounds great too, Could you use ground almonds instead of almond flour?

Almost the same thing...think the technical name of non-blanched almonds is almond meal but yes definately can substitute.
  • jsjohnst
    jsjohnst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been on Atkins for a week now, hard to stay under carb. requirement for me. Have done this diet before & really get the weight off. Having a hard time getting a snack to give me energy for the gym after work. Califlower like potatoes are great, mashed with heavy wipping cream.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    a great site for low carb recipes in genaw.com. she posts an assortment of recipes that she has gleaned from all over and puts little tips after them about what worked and didn't work...with pictures. I do love pictures! :bigsmile:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Sorry I've been MIA for a while- I was sunning myself in Lanzarote. Unfortunately, this came with an 11lb weight gain!!!!!!! Damn carbs!!!!!!

But, I'm back- and looking forward to reading back all the posts on here. xx
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Easy/fast bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers
    Great for football parties

Ingredients:

- Jalapenos
    - Cream Cheese
    - Bacon

Slice jalapenos in half and scoop out seeds.
    Rinse with water.
    Slightly warm cream cheese in microwave for a few seconds.
    Fill jalapenos with cream cheese.
    Wrap stuffed jalapeno with bacon and secure with toothpick.
    Bake @ 450 degrees until bacon is nice n crispy (~25 minutes).
    Remove from oven and impatiently eat one.
    Soothe burnt tongue with beer.
    Let sit and cool for as long as you can resist.

You can also add cheese or ranch flavoring to the cream cheese if you like/have the patience.

Ohhh yummy!!
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    a great site for low carb recipes in genaw.com. she posts an assortment of recipes that she has gleaned from all over and puts little tips after them about what worked and didn't work...with pictures. I do love pictures! :bigsmile:

OMG this site looks AMAZING, thanks :smile:
  • tristahenry
    Options
    Hi,

I have been on Atkins for a week now, hard to stay under carb. requirement for me. Have done this diet before & really get the weight off. Having a hard time getting a snack to give me energy for the gym after work. Califlower like potatoes are great, mashed with heavy wipping cream.

For a before-the-gym snack for high energy, I have a low-fat cheese stick and a handfull of nuts or an apple with almond butter. I eat this about an hour before I start my workout and I tend to do about 45 minutes of cardio plus strength training. It's also important to keep yourself steady all day by having several small meals and/or snacks throughout the day. You'll get your groove back and hit your goals in no time!! And yum... Cauliflower potatos.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options

OMG this site looks AMAZING, thanks :smile:

You're welcome. I've made a lot of her recipes and they're really good...except for the little cookies with the holes poked in them...she has several varieties and I made the gingersnap ones and wasn't impressed. A lot of work for a tiny cookie that wasn't great. Love the broccoli crunch salad...actually all the salads. And, when I'm craving brownies the 'giant peanut butter and chocolate treat' is a quick and delish fix. It's under desserts.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    Last night I made single serving Ricotta pancake that was really good.

1/4 cup Ricotta cheese
    1 egg
    cinnemon and a smidge of splenda

mixed it up and fried it in coconut oil in a pan.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    coconut curry chicken:

2 lbs chicken breast tenders
    1 can coconut milk
    curry to flavor
    sweet onions (if you wish)
    coconut oil

pan fry the onions in a large simmer pot, then remove,
    then the chicken in coconut oil
    readd the onions to the pot once the chicken is cooked,
    add the can of coconut milk, and curry to flavor

DONE enjoy! You can do this with halibut or other proteins too. Make sure to drink that flavored coconut milk, don't waste it.
  • southerngirlspa
    Options
    New to MFP and just saw this thread. There are some great sounding recipes on here! I might try the heroin chicken tonight!

I take a medication that keeps me from processing carbs well so I tend to try to stay fairly low carbish. My daughter is a vegetarian though and I cook one meal for the whole family (2 adults and 2 kids) so we have to really experiment with meat free/low carb meal options. Most of the time I make a meat and then tons of veggie sides to satisfy everyone : )

Im thinking I might do some chicken and some tofu in the heroin wing seasonings and see how it goes...I'm not very experienced in cooking tofu yet.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    *Save* :bigsmile:
  • SueInAz
    Options
    New to MFP and just saw this thread. There are some great sounding recipes on here! I might try the heroin chicken tonight!

I take a medication that keeps me from processing carbs well so I tend to try to stay fairly low carbish. My daughter is a vegetarian though and I cook one meal for the whole family (2 adults and 2 kids) so we have to really experiment with meat free/low carb meal options. Most of the time I make a meat and then tons of veggie sides to satisfy everyone : )

Im thinking I might do some chicken and some tofu in the heroin wing seasonings and see how it goes...I'm not very experienced in cooking tofu yet.
    Check out the Atkins website for recipes. There is one chefs whose recipes are on the site who is also a vegetarian, so there are some good low carb, meatless recipes available.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Curious - are any of us preplanning ahead for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners? Its just my husband and I this year for our first empty-nested holidays...

Ive got a menu planned out for Thanksgiving - one that will still give my husband all of his favorites, while I can still maintain my daily calorie/carb restrictions...
  • tristahenry
    Options
    Curious - are any of us preplanning ahead for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners? Its just my husband and I this year for our first empty-nested holidays...

Ive got a menu planned out for Thanksgiving - one that will still give my husband all of his favorites, while I can still maintain my daily calorie/carb restrictions...

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year. We do it south philly italian style and eat ALL DAY with massive quantities of wine. I count it as a binge day and plan on spending the next day burning those calories with a flag football game or a loonngg run.
  • southerngirlspa
    Options

I'm cooking for about 12 out of town guests and we have 3 veggies in the bunch. I plan on making a ton of vegetables....roast brussel sprouts, cauliflower "mashed potatos", baked butternut squash, balsamic baby carrots...stuff like that. Then I will make a pork loin for main dish because we don't do turkey so much and I will make a pan of yeast rolls and desserts also. I will just try to make my plate 3/4 veggies so I can enjoy feasting and get full off the good stuff. Then I can have a nibble of desserts.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

I'm taking Thanksgiving through New Years off. For me... it's a time to enjoy family, friends, and most of all the food. I can be strict the other 10-11 months of the year.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I don't cook for holidays. We hit up both my mother-in-law's and my sister's places usually. I just plan on those days being "off diet" and enjoy myself. Same goes for the couple of holiday parties I'll be attending and New year's eve. Holidays are made for food. I'll be on track the rest of the time but have no plans to try to stay under calorie or carb goals on special days.