anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump :happy:
  • aimee278
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe ideas:-)
  • 2Bstrong
    Options
    Metalbeau and Teddyaderwich (apologies for any mis-spelling) you guys sound like me. Metal, I give myself a day off, though am not so good at making good choices, and need to see how this goes for me as I'm now trying to maintain. I have the same carb intake as you and include dairy - I reckon you're doing Dukan without realising!

Ted - I'm Dukan too, it's a great method I think.

A friend of mine, who happens to be a health and wellness chiropractor, recommends the "giving myself a day off" routine. He said that our body operates on memory, so if you eat low-carb all week, then one day a week, throw in a "FREE DAY", you'll give your metabolism a boost (a shock, as he called it). The trick is, however, you have to get right back on the low-carb lifestyle the next day. Don't allow your body to fall back into the up and down mode. I find I have to be really, really disciplined to not sneak some BAD carbs the day after a free day. I also find that when I eat this way, the pounds do come off. I just have to do it! So glad I rejoined MFP to help me start this lifestyle, again!
  • Sweetpeechypie
    Options
    So glad to see other low carbers here...
    I am on atkins type diet. I am doing this for several reasons...the biggest is to get the weight off..I have 8' of titanium in my spine and the extra weight is causing me alot of problems..and I do not want to end up back in a wheel chair...took me over 2 years to get out of it..and I fear if I return to it I will never get back out. That being said I also know that my body does not use carbs correctly, Ive tryed the standard diets and found i not only dont lose but gain weight .. So back on the low carb.

I would love to find new recipes and have support from others who understand that not everyone can lose or control their weight any other way.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Love the forum! I'll add one now to contribute. Think this recipe was from the 500 Low Carb Cookbook that I love!

Heroin Wings

4 pounds chicken wings ***
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 Tablespoons dried parsley
    1 Tablespoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup butter, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cut the wings, into pieces saving the pointy tips for making soup or broth.

3. Combine the Parmesan cheese and the parsley, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl.

4. Line a shallow baking pan with foil.( if you don't do this you
    will be sorry cause you will be scrubbing on this pan a week later).

5. Melt the butter in a shallow bowl or pan.

6. Dip each piece in butter, roll in the cheese and seasoning mixture,and arranged in the foil-lined pan.

7. Bake for 1 hour

Nutritional Info
    • Servings Per Recipe: 8
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 173.6
    • Total Fat: 15.7 g
    • Cholesterol: 45.2 mg
    • Sodium: 323.1 mg
    • Total Carbs: 1.3 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
    • Protein: 7.4 g

Oh Yum! I'm picking up chicken wings tonight to make this!
  • rachemn
    Options
    I like to get ideas from Lindas low carb menus and recipes website. She has all sorts of yummy things to make. Snacks, soups, desserts, appetizers, main courses, side dishes, sauces, breads, breakfast.........she lists the carb, calorie, and fat content of everything.

And her recipes are awesome!
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Always lookinf for new ideas! Thnx
  • moonjellies
    Options
    I'm doing low carb (not too low, I aim for 75g or less a day) because I bought a wedding dress last november, then put on 15 pounds! My wedding is in May so I need to get down to my old weight for the wedding. I'm trying to do a small amount of weight loss or just maintenance for now, since I do have so much time before the wedding.

I have fibromyalgia and I find my energy levels are better when I eat lower carb. I just fell off the wagon recently for a week or so because it was a lot of special things going on, so I'm getting back into the routine.

The problem I have is that eating low carb, I find that I'm almost always way under my calorie goal for the day! I need ways to add calories without adding carbs..
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    COOL! A Low-Carb home?!

Im a PCOS patient also battling Metabolic X Syndrome, beating alopecia (I finally have it covered up!), and of course the PCOS is making weight loss a real P.I.T.A. for me.

I have dropped over 30 lbs on my own, and have been plateaued WAY too long.

Meanwhile - I worked both healthcare and culinary fields for about 15 years... now that I have an empty nest, I remain in my Cheffing job and love it! The entire team is VERY supportive when it comes to the whole "taste this for me?" - because I just have to be careful.

My Endo has prescribed a strict 20-40g of carbs per meal for my unique medical situation. Its VERY reasonable to considering Im not a fan of rice, potato, pasta (almost done with this!) and I know I cant eat anything made with bleached/white flour. My Metabolic X makes it extremely difficult to digest the majority of the bread-grain group in fact, the insulin overload has landed me in the hospital once going into shock....

Glad to see we have a non-judgemental 'home'.....
  • msstillion79
    Options
    Im in if ull have me lol I have diabetes and am finding the lower my carbs are the better my sugar is under control but im new to the cooking low carb thing so all these ideas sounds great im goin to try everyone thanx :drinker:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Its Fall, my favorite...........Pumpkin sausage soup.

Ingredients
    1 (12 ounce) packages Jimmy Dean sausage
    1/2 cup onions, minced
    1 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon italian seasoning
    1 -2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
    1 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin
    4 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup water

Directions
    Brown sausage, drain, then add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and sauté until done.
    Add pumpkin to this mixture and mix well.
    Then stir in the broth and mix well.
    Simmer 20-30 minutes.
    Stir in the heavy cream and water and simmer on low another 10-15 minute Taste and add salt& pepper as needed.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am also a low carber, but I generally dont eat processed carbs. I still eat whole grains, brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, etc. I also don't worry about the carbs found in fruits and veggies. So I try to stick to 40-60 carbs per day that aren't from fruit and veggies. But because I eat so many of those it looks like I go over every day (I wish they'd break it out). I have PCOS and over the last two years I have found that this diet makes me feel the best, lose the weight, and keep the energy level up. What a great place to share, thanks for starting!
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Bump:flowerforyou:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Welcome all newbies to the thread, its great to have so many like minded peeps here. I'm def going to try the pumpkin soup and pancakes.

Question: they don't sell canned pumpkin here in the UK, is roasted fresh pumpkin ok?
  • Sweetpeechypie
    Options
    Im going to try this..it sounds yummy
  • cramernh
    Options
    I would say yes, but I would also look up the changes that roasting a squash will do to the carb amount...
  • cramernh
    Options
    The one thing Ive done to be rid of pasta (and it made SUCH a difference) is Shirataki (tofu noodles), faux noodles made from zucchini and eggplant... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I do a nice pan saute of faux zuke-noodles with gahhhhlic, smart balance buttery spread, some chopped tomatoes, and when its done, I add a little fresh grated parmesan. Simple, tasty and AMAZING!
  • sonic_the_cat
    sonic_the_cat Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey this is great! I'll add some of my favorites later. Thanks for adding this forum.
  • sonic_the_cat
    sonic_the_cat Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    These sound great! Can't wait to try.
  • rachemn
    Options
    You can always sub fresh roasted pumpkin for canned. It's better too! :-)
    Welcome all newbies to the thread, its great to have so many like minded peeps here. I'm def going to try the pumpkin soup and pancakes.

Question: they don't sell canned pumpkin here in the UK, is roasted fresh pumpkin ok?